Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Guy spends $250k on his GT-R with Forged Performance and get a broken car back in return

Vehicles
      2007 Ford Fusion SUX, school bus turning radius edition
      05-10-2013 09:42 AM #151
      The shop should be renamed Buffalo Bill's.

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-10-2013 09:52 AM #152
      Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
      Rule #1 - If you're going to give somebody a "blank check", they better be close enough to you that you can stop by and check on them all the time, or pick somebody that has a beyond flawless reputation. This guy did neither.

I wish I had enough cash to be so irresponsible with it. Yes, the shop clearly did a hack job. But you gotta think with your head instead of your pee pee.
      A blank check should only be given to somebody you have a long history with that would allow such trust.
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

3. 05-10-2013 09:55 AM #153
      oof man that stinks! its horrible to see tuner shops do work like this...

on a side note i read the whole article thinking the OP was just mistyping in his fury Forge and adding a "D" on the end to make it Forged. Im glad I cought that
      Last edited by Bandwidth; 05-10-2013 at 10:00 AM.

Vehicles
      2001 Volkswagen 3.2 liter 4Motion Golf 2010 Volkswagen Routan SE
      05-10-2013 11:19 AM #154
      FWIW: The owner of the shop is claiming that the 250k number is spread out over three separate builds.

Say hello to Sandy! She handles customer service and is handy with an angle grinder and doing RHD down pipe conversions!

05-10-2013 11:48 AM #155
      Quote Originally Posted by Spray` View Post
      Why? Do we know that money just came to him?

That just sounds moronic. He paid money, he deserves to get what he paid for, and at 250K that's a premium, flawless install with the agreed upon turn around time.
      Dumping $250K into a car only worth less than $100K is not exactly a smart move.

As once said on Top Gear UK...."That's like burning Rembrandts in your fireplace just to keep warm"
      The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.

6. 05-10-2013 11:54 AM #156
      fool me once, shame on me. fool me twice, shame on you. fool me three times?

and LOL at the GTR owners in there that are looking down on people commenting that dosen't own a GTR (typical car enthusiast on car enthusiast hate just cause your car is more expensive).

The kind of car has nothing to do with it - it's the shady shop. Besides, that shop dosen't only do GTRs as seen with the G and the Z (they also do EVOs and STIs).

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-10-2013 12:12 PM #157
      Quote Originally Posted by Uberhare View Post
      Dumping $250K into a car only worth less than $100K is not exactly a smart move.

As once said on Top Gear UK...."That's like burning Rembrandts in your fireplace just to keep warm"
      It's all relative to what you consider disposable income.
      Is spending 5k to mod a 2k car that will still be worth 2k modified any less smart?
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Vehicles
      1999 Nissan Quest GLE, 2009 Nissan GT-R
      05-10-2013 12:19 PM #158
      Quote Originally Posted by Meroving1an View Post
      and LOL at the GTR owners in there that are looking down on people commenting that dosen't own a GTR (typical car enthusiast on car enthusiast hate just cause your car is more expensive).
      Right.

I don't see anyone doing that in gtrlife. Rather people are just annoyed by some of the posts made by newbs who just signed up.
      Free 1SICKLEX

Vehicles
      Porsche & Honda
      05-10-2013 12:23 PM #159
      Quote Originally Posted by Meroving1an View Post
      fool me once, shame on me. fool me twice, shame on you. fool me three times?
      You sound like George Bush right about now.

Vehicles
      1983 GTI; 1993 Trek
      05-10-2013 12:25 PM #160
      Quote Originally Posted by a2a4raddo View Post
      I thought the same thing.
      //COOLWATERmotorsport
      |F0TZ3 HA5E| - The Project
      VWVolkshaus: Haus des Verrückten

Vehicles
      2.15678L 16V ABA, SN 95 Mustang V8, 2013 Frontier V6
      05-10-2013 12:41 PM #161
      I remember when this one showed up on TCL once before:

http://www.myg37.com/forums/vendor-c...xperience.html
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      Banging a hooker will make the wasps go away? I'm off to find a bee's nest. BRB.
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      All sensible chicks like boobs. We have them, they are fun, therefore more would be better. Ones that we don't have to personally lug around are extra nice.

05-10-2013 12:41 PM #162
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      It's all relative to what you consider disposable income.
      Is spending 5k to mod a 2k car that will still be worth 2k modified any less smart?
      No.

Do you do the same thing with your house? Would you dump $300K into a house worth only $150K? Granted, the house can appreciate in value unlike 99% of cars but it's the same scenario. You'll never get that money back. To some people I guess it's worth it.

I don't get it.
      The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.

13. Member
      05-10-2013 12:45 PM #163
      No.

Do you do the same thing with your house? Would you dump $300K into a house worth only $150K? Granted, the house can appreciate in value unlike 99% of cars but it's the same scenario. You'll never get that money back. To some people I guess it's worth it.

I don't get it.
      Depends on the location of the house... also, you sleep and live in your house so it makes a lot more sense than putting money into a vehicle.

lol at the "occupy" mindset towards someone screwed over for a large amount of money.

Vehicles
      Porsche & Honda
      05-10-2013 12:46 PM #164
      No.

I don't get it.
      If I plan on spending the rest of my life in said house...i'd dump 500K into it to make it exactly what I want. I dumped 1/3rd of what I payed for my current house into it already (not the same I know), but I plan on dumping another 1/3rd its worth in the next year or two.

Vehicles
      D3 A8 4.2 - E36 Turbo
      05-10-2013 12:52 PM #165

WTF kinda of attitude is this from supposed "car enthusiasts"

There is nothing smart about modding a car money wise, most people know this yet the car modification/aftermarket is constantly growing because people want to modify their cars.

If you fine with buying/leasing a stock car and never touching it great.

But for all the people that want a modified car chances are anything you do to it would be considered a financial loss. This guy is just on a different level when it comes to money, and that is also easily explained once you understand he had (still has as far as I can tell) the goal of having the fastest GT-R in the 1/4 mile.
      SCHNELL ENGINEERING · BLOG · STANDALONE ECUS · TUNING · DYNO · WIRING · PARTS · VEMS

16. Member
      Vehicles
      Past: 1988 Acura Legend Coupe 5sp, 1995 Mitsu 3kGT, 2001.5 Jetta 1.8t. Current: 2008
      05-10-2013 12:55 PM #166
      Ah, spoken like people who haven't the slightest understanding of what it is to have that sort of money. Most people here are just running around crying about the fact that this guy spent a quarter of a million dollars and talking about how they'd spend it differently while being angry that he had that much to blow on a car and modding it.

Pretend you took your 1.8t in for a big turbo kit and got the car back in the condition this guy got his back in(and pretend that's not how they run anyway).

17. 05-10-2013 01:04 PM #167
      Quote Originally Posted by a2a4raddo View Post
      Freudian slip?

LOLOLOLOLOL

18. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '15 e250 bluetec, '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt
      05-10-2013 01:39 PM #168
      Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla_Coke View Post

what sort of excuse could someone possibly give for that level of mechanical ineptitude?
      honestly?

thats about what id expect from some 16yo douche canoe at jiffy lube when theyre "tuning" their mom's k car... not a speed shop that regularly works on $80k super cars.

wow.

19. Banned
      Vehicles
      e36 m3, 95 z28
      05-10-2013 02:21 PM #169
      "My previous invoices for the bolt ons, Willall clutches and fasteners, transmission cooler, brakes, and sway bars was $38,107.23."

isn't that sign one to stay away?

Vehicles
      1962 Lincoln Continental
      05-10-2013 02:36 PM #170
      My $.02 since that's what we're all here for

1. The house example is stupid. 99% of cars are depreciating assets. Homes are not. I think the example of spending $4K or whatever on a $2K car is perfect. It all depends on your level of disposable income. Please don't act like you wouldn't be foolish with your money if I handed you a hundred million dollars tomorrow.

2. The people in here saying he deserved it are f*cking a$$holes and stupid haters. If one of us in this community was screwed this badly, it would be disastrous for the shop involved. Instead, the haters in this thread think that he deserved it?? absurd. I know it doesn't matter, but I just went though and blocked everyone that thought that way. I'm ashamed you consider yourself part of the car community.

3. What if you spent you're whole life working in a specific industry and knew little about cars? You've worked so hard to make a boat load of money and are a friggin expert in your field. Now you want to have the fastest streetable GTR because it's a cool car and you love the way it looks and drives. You do enough research and are "sold" by the shop owner figuring they are experts too. Very plausible.

4. I hope the shop makes it right and close their doors.

Quote Originally Posted by uncleho View Post
      Before you take the tact of denigrating a group, you should empathize with the situation/history and understand the facts. It might not make for great debate on forums, but it helps with personal awareness.

21. Member
      05-10-2013 02:45 PM #171
      Quote Originally Posted by whiteboy1 View Post

2. The people in here saying he deserved it are f*cking a$$holes and stupid haters. If one of us in this community was screwed this badly, it would be disastrous for the shop involved. Instead, the haters in this thread think that he deserved it?? absurd. I know it doesn't matter, but I just went though and blocked everyone that thought that way. I'm ashamed you consider yourself part of the car community.
      apparently you dint read the memo which said "The bourgeoisie are bad mmkay, and they need to pay their fair share"

Vehicles
      '91 GLI, '01.5 S4, '00 Jetta GLS, '04 GLI, '99 A4, '00 Jetta VR, '01 Wolfsburg
      05-10-2013 02:48 PM #172
      Washers on top of washers, on top of gucci washers
      Quote Originally Posted by filthwagen View Post
      welcome to the MK4 section... the trick is kick someone's ass the first day, or become someone's bitch. Then everything will be all right.
      Quote Originally Posted by jackboots View Post
      TCL - We aim to over-expect and under-appreciate.
      VrSociety #214
      Downsouthdubs.com

Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      05-10-2013 02:53 PM #173

1. The house example is stupid. 99% of cars are depreciating assets. Homes are not. I think the example of spending $4K or whatever on a $2K car is perfect. It all depends on your level of disposable income. Please don't act like you wouldn't be foolish with your money if I handed you a hundred million dollars tomorrow.

3. What if you spent you're whole life working in a specific industry and knew little about cars? You've worked so hard to make a boat load of money and are a friggin expert in your field. Now you want to have the fastest streetable GTR because it's a cool car and you love the way it looks and drives. You do enough research and are "sold" by the shop owner figuring they are experts too. Very plausible.

4. I hope the shop makes it right and close their doors.

. I feel bad for the guy though, $250k is a LOT of money to put into a car... .

Vehicles
      Porsche & Honda
      05-10-2013 02:54 PM #174

I never said he deserved this. But I did say I don't feel sorry for him. And I don't. Not at all.

If you or I, or anyone for that matter is spending 250K on anything...Not just a modifying a vehicle...but on anything...you do your HW and make sure you know who that money is going to.

This shop has screwed people in the past and that was made public. A simple google search on the shop would allow you to find other threads and people grieving about the shop. If you are too lazy to do your HW....then oh well. If you have enough money to dump 250K into a GTR that means you have enough money to have someone do the legwork (HW) for you (granted you are too busy to do it yourself). But considering the fact that the guy has time to write paragraphs upon paragraphs on a forum complaining about Forged...it means he had more than enough time to do a 5 second google search and 10min of reading.

SCREW forged for their shody work and for ripping people off. But don't complain about me not feeling pity for someone who was stupid enough to hand a known scumbag/rip off vendor their hard earned money.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      Past: 1988 Acura Legend Coupe 5sp, 1995 Mitsu 3kGT, 2001.5 Jetta 1.8t. Current: 2008
      05-10-2013 02:54 PM #175

1. The house example is stupid. 99% of cars are depreciating assets. Homes are not.
      I'm not entirely sure where you've been for the last few years, but homes have depreciated quite a bit. While you might be, under the best circumstances or depending on your area, be able to sell your house for money and, if you are lucky, make money over what you paid and all the upkeep costs of the house over your period of ownership, that's certainly not the case for most people.

People keep talking about what else they would buy with this much money. Newsflash: if the guy is spending this much on a car, he either already has those other priorities taken care of or has a plan to do so, and already has sufficient resources in place to perpetuate his lifestyle. So don't you worry your pretty little head about the fact that he's not investing the money in real estate or something else. At some point, money should be about enjoying it, not about using it to make more of it.

Ripping someone off is ripping someone off, it's just a matter of scale. Dropping this on a GTR is probably like you having the engine bored and supercharged and suspension/chasis built on your BMW and having it go horribly wrong. You were gonna have the fastest BMW in the US, and it was totally worth it, and now the original cost plus that to fix it has eclipsed the cost of the car.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast