Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Location of squeaks–––>Post to be of help to all!

1. 11-30-2002 01:45 AM #1
      Please post the locations of confirmed squeaks, rattles, and rubbin' noises, so that we can all get in together on tryin to get 'em worked out.

Please, just confirmed...i.e. you know it's "coming from the bottom right side of the driver's door"...not, "I think it's coming from somewhere inside the car..."

If fixable post that in the poll choice and then a full response to tell what you did to eliminate it...

Let's take car of this crap and get on with drivin our rides...

2. 11-30-2002 01:52 AM #2
      For Rear Trunk Cover Hatch Squeaks when cornering

Symptom

You hear a squeaking sound coming from the rear interior of the car (both sides) when cornering or making any movement of the vehicle which would cause the body to flex.

Inspection
      Look at underside of trunk cover. At the back of the cover (rearward facing side-nearest the hatch) look at the underside , on the left and right edges.

You will most likely see 2 spots where your trunk cover is rubbing against the plastic trim, and is matted down and slightly white.

Fix
      Go to the local crafts or fabric store and get some velcro strips, that are sticky on one side. Get black so that it will blend in. Then take the soft side and stick it on where you saw the white spots on the fabric. You can throw out the scratchy side of the velcro or save it for another project.

[Modified by TA373, 1:54 AM 11-30-2002]

3. 11-30-2002 05:29 PM #3
      Symptom
      Passenger side door rattles when playing bassy music

Inspection
      When playing bassy music I've noticed a rattle coming from the passenger side door only this does not seem to be coming from the driver's side door...only from the passenger side door.

Attempted fix
      Some people have been told the replacing the window regs will take car of it. But that doesn't seem to work. Nor does a simple adj. of the door. I have noticed that if you grab the map well (the little cubby to put maps in) and pull it slightly towards the driver's side door, the sound goes away for a few...

[Modified by TA373, 2:30 PM 11-30-2002]

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT, '11 VW Tiguan SE
      11-30-2002 07:27 PM #4
      Check the little light that's on the lower part of the door panel. That rattle was driving me nuts with even moderate volume on the radio, but pushing on that light made it go away...for now.

5. 11-30-2002 08:32 PM #5
      My driver side door pops after a swift pop or going up drive ways. Anyone have this problem?

6. 12-01-2002 12:54 AM #6
      quote:
      Symptom
      Passenger side door rattles when playing bassy music

Inspection
      When playing bassy music I've noticed a rattle coming from the passenger side door only this does not seem to be coming from the driver's side door...only from the passenger side door.

Attempted fix
      Some people have been told the replacing the window regs will take car of it. But that doesn't seem to work. Nor does a simple adj. of the door. I have noticed that if you grab the map well (the little cubby to put maps in) and pull it slightly towards the driver's side door, the sound goes away for a few...

To solve this problem, pull the door panel just enough to slide the soft side of velcro between door panel and door around the speaker and map pocket on the bottom.

[Modified by TA373, 2:30 PM 11-30-2002]

7. 12-01-2002 01:03 AM #7
      Passenger Seat Squeak

Symptom
      Passenger side seat will squeak when driving (with passenger in it)

Inspection
      Get a buddy to sit in seat. Drive. Listen. May notice squeaks coming from passenger seat.

Attempeted Fix
      Some have had the seat channels lubed.

8. 12-01-2002 04:29 AM #8
      For any door creaks, pops, squeaks, or rattles, I've got two words--Gummi-Pflege. Worked great on my SVTF as well.

[Modified by SpeedieVR6, 3:30 AM 12-1-2002]

Vehicles
      337, B7 TDI
      12-02-2002 11:20 AM #9
      i got that buzzing sound behind the dash. it's only audible at 2800 rpm. Not 3k or 2500 only at 2800. Any fix for this. Could it be the rear hatch? Only since I am driving up front, it sounds like it is in the dash

10. 12-02-2002 11:20 PM #10
      I have it at exactly 2800 rpm as well!

PROBLEM
      Vibration/buzzing noise behind firewall at right about 2800rpm

SOLUTION
      I have heard its the heat sheilding thats near the exhaust. Just wait till its cool to the touch and give it a slight bend where the rattle is occuring.

11. 12-03-2002 08:38 AM #11
      Great Post idea!

I just hope the trolls don't get to your unlocked poll. I clicked on the first one and realized I needed to start a new one. Mine would be: All of the above.

12. Banned
      12-03-2002 08:57 AM #12
      My tweeders sound like crap. Especially when someone is talking on the radio, it sounds like there is a Kazoo in there. Whats the fix? It doesn't even look like I can get in there without ripping the car apart.

13. 12-03-2002 08:34 PM #13
      First i'll list all of the problems that i have had FIXED:
      1) buzzing and banging sound from the trunk when going over bumps----dealership tightened the Monsoon amp.
      2)Popping sound from the front when simultaniously turning and hitting a bump---some bushing on the control arm was loose
      3)rear tweeters buzzing----get aftermarket tweeters

now for the ones that are driving me absolutely crazy
      1)squeaking recarro seat
      2)squeaking rear end..????
      3)ever single door rattles---i'm gonna try the BMW stuff
      4)sometimes when i come to a stop something behind my left shoulder goes *POP*
      5)when the windows are down, it literally sounds like the car is going to fall apart (window regulator?)
      6)now starting to hear creaks from the dash pannel

WOW look at that list....this is why i will soon be moving to the audi or nissan family (my dad will now drive the wolfy full time). sorry VW, you've got to get the build quality up. use some bond-o

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2012 Tiguan SEL
      12-04-2002 10:47 AM #14
      what about the one where you get in your car and the suspension squeaks? I have that happen to me every now and then. Has anyone fixed that yet?

15. 12-04-2002 11:12 AM #15
      I don't believe that's the suspention, but rather the rear disc brakes groaning from the parking break being set.

To test this, hop in the car after it's been siting for a while...whit the ebrake set. It should make the noise.

Then without moving the car, put it in gear (so it won't move) and release the ebrake. Get out. Get back in. It probably won't make any noise.

m.

16. 12-04-2002 11:21 AM #16
      the buzzing sound u hear in the dash area is the rear view mirror... when u hear it, hold the mirror to c if it stops. that's where found mine to be. it does sound like it's com'n form the inside of the dash: right side. but for me it's the rear view mirror. chech it out and see if that helps.

Vehicles
      337, B7 TDI
      12-04-2002 11:22 AM #17
      anybody's clutch squeak. every time i press and depress. probably just needs some lube

18. 12-04-2002 02:36 PM #18
      quote:
      My driver side door pops after a swift pop

Huh???

Sprechen sie Douche?

19. 12-04-2002 06:04 PM #19
      If I am in first gear, and accelerate abruptly, I hear it...... then if I hit the brakes in first gear, I hear it....... its a creak from the right door and its quite loud.
      It also does it sometimes when cornering or if I hit a bump... It has drove me mad!!!! Luckily I wont deal with it 'till spring as the 337 is in hibernation! Any one have a clue?????

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Passat W8 6MT
      12-07-2002 01:07 PM #20
      My clutch is squeaky too!

12-07-2002 01:15 PM #21
      quote:
      If I am in first gear, and accelerate abruptly, I hear it...... then if I hit the brakes in first gear, I hear it....... its a creak from the right door and its quite loud.
      It also does it sometimes when cornering or if I hit a bump... It has drove me mad!!!! Luckily I wont deal with it 'till spring as the 337 is in hibernation! Any one have a clue?????

Try this.....
      Go get some silicone from Warne in the red and white tube.
      Apply a very thin coat (non visable) to the door seals.....yes this means you will have to open the doors and do the seal on the door and the car.
      This should make that go bye bye!

22. 12-07-2002 08:26 PM #22
      Ill give that a try.... If it works I will drive my creak free 337 to Toronto and thank you personally! Hey, the big T. O . rocks!!!!! {and I miss the Hockey Hall of Fame!}

Vehicles
      19th anniversary gti, 2010 jsw deezul
      12-08-2002 01:02 PM #23
      rear hatch velcro fix worked awesome, thanks

Vehicles
      Audi TTQ, Touraeg, Passat
      12-08-2002 01:46 PM #24
      dashboard between 3200rpm and 3600rpm ... its driving me nuts. I played around with the dashboard while driving (bad idea I know) and I found out its related to the bottom tray where the ashtray is at (the one with the power) .. if you push hard against the top part the ratle will go away

25. 12-10-2002 12:22 AM #25
      That bitch in the seat next to me! Time to trade her in!
      On a serious note, I got the hatch squeak too. I'm gonna try the velcro tomorrow.

26. 12-22-2002 05:48 PM #26
      bump

27. 12-22-2002 06:43 PM #27
      velcro at real hatch worked for me too...my car is absolutely silent now

28. 12-22-2002 06:55 PM #28
      3 Noises that are driving me crazy,

-The bass/stereo associated rattle in the passenger side door
      -The rattle from my rear C-pillar area
      -Suspention squeak, or frame squeak from when there's frame flex going over slight bumps. (Going into a driveway, or slowly over a speed bump)
      -Seat squeaks (passenger side)

Ok. so that's 4. No one acccused me of being able to count....

m.

p.s. I'm just reposting this for myself to get the list ready for my 5k service...

Vehicles
      '07 Audi RS4, '11 VW Touareg TDI Sport
      12-22-2002 07:02 PM #29
      quote:
      dashboard between 3200rpm and 3600rpm ... its driving me nuts. I played around with the dashboard while driving (bad idea I know) and I found out its related to the bottom tray where the ashtray is at (the one with the power) .. if you push hard against the top part the ratle will go away

Take it in to the dealership for that one. I had it fixed about 4 weeks ago. It is the anti rattle pad inside the dash between the heater box and the engine wall. My understanding is it is somewhere behind or close to the glove box. They replaced mine and I'm dashboard rattle free now! Just need to go do the velcro in the hatch now. *sigh*

30. Member
      12-24-2002 01:52 AM #30
      I've only had my car for about 600 km and I barely hear anything at all only over bumps but it doesn't bother me. Does it get alot worse? It's very cold now so I guess that could be the cause of some of them. I don't know what the big deal is though, its barely noticable. I think its the fact that everything is so tightly built that everything rubs There you go, good build quality Maybe they should start using cheaper harder plastic

Vehicles
      '07 Audi RS4, '11 VW Touareg TDI Sport
      01-07-2003 11:54 PM #31
      Bump for excellent thread.

I followed the instructions in post #2 and also added velcro to the rubber stops right behind the rear seat (you have to fold the seat down to see them) and a few other places for precautionary measures and my interior is silent. I will post pics of the locations if I can get a hold of a digi cam.

Thanks TA373

32. 01-08-2003 12:38 AM #32
      Not the heat shelding, it is the vacuum tank on top of your engine. Take off your engine cover and tap the black box on top, just above the left hand coil packs. Rattles like a somebitch at 2800. This is some aux vac tank, getting mine replaced.

[Modified by ZinK, 10:39 PM 1-7-2003]

33. 01-08-2003 01:05 AM #33
      quote:
      Bump for excellent thread.

I followed the instructions in post #2 and also added velcro to the rubber stops right behind the rear seat (you have to fold the seat down to see them) and a few other places for precautionary measures and my interior is silent. I will post pics of the locations if I can get a hold of a digi cam.

Thanks TA373

No problem. I wish that the vortex would be less about 'what type of tint should I use?' and how do I chop my shifter?', or the ever popular 'what makes your car sooooo special?', and more about how to work on and fix your ride. This post was just my way to try and help that along.

I've started to notice a few things on my ride. First off, the back rattles now more than ever. Tho the hatch issue is fixed, I have what I'm pretty sure are 3 distinct rattles coming from the back. All are very noticable.

Also, my front pax seat still squeaks like a mofo, and I've still not found what will fix it (at least not on the Vtex anyway). A friend of mine and I are going to try to work on the ride this friday to sort some of this stuff out.

I'll post pix and how to's when we get it taken care of.

[Modified by TA373, 1:07 AM 1-8-2003]

34. 01-08-2003 11:12 AM #34
      No luck with the velcro for me! Sounds like the rear seat

35. 01-08-2003 01:06 PM #35
      quote:

Try this.....
      Go get some silicone from Warne in the red and white tube.
      Apply a very thin coat (non visable) to the door seals.....yes this means you will have to open the doors and do the seal on the door and the car.
      This should make that go bye bye!

Anyone try this? I've never seen a warne store or I would. The brand of silicone or an online order site would help.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast