Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I ask the Car Lounge an honest opinion?.. My car and Transformers related.. seriously.

1. 05-30-2013 06:47 PM #1
      Hey CL.. I have something bothering me and I really need your honest opinion cause I just dont know how I feel about this..

Okay so a couple gearhead friends hit me up very early this morning saying..

"Michael Bay ripped you off man, look at Bumblebee for Transformers 4 it looks like your car Vengeance!"

I checked out the link of sneak previews of some of the cars..

then I saw what they were talking about..

some on here know me and know how long I have been modifying these cars and some know just how much heart and soul I poured into designing and executing my 1967 Camaro "Vengeance"

The car I frequently describe to others as my "Mt Everest" as it too EVERY BIT of blood, stress, tears, strain of marriage, joy, pain, and EVERY LAST DOLLAR I had to make this car my dream car.. I hand drew it countless times..

just a couple examples:

I imagined if the car was a woman.. cause you know how we always get treated by our significant other like it is..

So I worked on this car for the last 7 years of my life from a bare shell

to this point..

the spikes on the side of the fenders are placeholders for these flares I am producing for the firstgen camaro.. heres my actual flares on the car while I was assembling it with pshop wheels and interior.. the flares are real though.

Then the pictures they sent of the new Bumblebee were these..

they must have seen this pic and went and copied it..

found another pic of it..

They even got the same exact wheels as I have with the same colorscheme, Audi handles, vision mirrors, chinspoiler with stabilizer bars, full length grille, shaved lower valence, and even the blacked out 67 year only vent windows..

Now CL..

I dont know what to think of this..

part of me is flattered they would outright copy my car to make for one of my favorite toy characters of all time..

then part of me is kindof mad that they just outright took my hard work and put a yellow stripe on the nose.. even the execution is horrible on the copy of my ideas..

The worst thing would be for every little kid calling my car Bumblebee and others making bootleg Bumblebee clones.. that would suck.

now I know CL likes to play around but this is bothering me.. please give me an honest opinion..

thank you.
      Last edited by Mr.Vengeance; 05-30-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Vehicles
      I haz a bunnah
      05-30-2013 06:54 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by WackyWabbitRacer View Post
      You're new here but don't be a DORK.....
      Cheers, WWR.
      Quote Originally Posted by rte7x9 View Post
      Don't swap if you can't weld or fabricate. It's not a trivial task just to bolt everything up. There's a lot of nut-scratching involved. Take your time and do it right.

Vehicles
      Mustang GT
      05-30-2013 06:58 PM #3
      honest opinion is um, be flattered and try to make the most of it? Enjoy your car for what it is.

It doesn't sound like there is much you can do at this point, maybe try to get your story out there on TMZ or something?

It looks pretty clear from all the details that this is a copy..

The good news: I gave up on being one of the cool kids!

Vehicles
      2003 Golf TDI
      05-30-2013 07:03 PM #4
      Your car looks dope. In regards to them copying you I would just enjoy knowing that my car is good enough for a movie.

5. 05-30-2013 07:04 PM #5
      Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

Somewhere Banannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnas
      Vehicles
      MK4 & MK6 GTI • 1986 Audi 4000CS Quattro
      05-30-2013 07:08 PM #6
      Sue, Sue, Sue! Or say they have to pay you to use it in the movie . Love your car though .

7. 05-30-2013 07:13 PM #7
      I dunno man im not the go and sue someone type.. its not that I wouldnt.. its just not my thing...

but it sucks I wont get any acknowledgment for the design.. hell id be happy if they put me in the credits as the designer for bumblebee(even though the execution is a little bad)

then theres going to be a million toys at walmart of my car with a yellow stripe.. i guess thats cool and wack at the same time..

I just wondered what you all would think if it was you in my shoes.. thats why I had to ask.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      07 AP2, 99 RD3
      05-30-2013 07:15 PM #8
      Try and do SOMETHING. Not nessecarily litigation but they clearly copied your design. Normally I'd go with the whole "imitation flattery blah blah" but I would be livid if I spent 7 years building a car of my dreams from scratch and then due to one over hyped 2 hour explosion on film had to listen to people at car shows go "oh hey he built a bumblebee car, that's lame." until the day I died. It'd ruin the car for me.

An unrelted memeory but it was sparked by this thread. I had a cousin named Dylan who was 5 years old when the Rugrats movie came out, the baby in the movie was named Dylan; AKA Dill Pickles. Brought my cousin to tears multiple times due to ridicule, his only retort was "It was my name FIRST!"

/endrant

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      05-30-2013 07:15 PM #9
      Yeah....... I know what you mean.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Vehicles
      Mustang GT
      05-30-2013 07:16 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Vengeance View Post
      but it sucks I wont get any acknowledgment for the design.. hell id be happy if they put me in the credits as the designer for bumblebee(even though the execution is a little bad)
      I don't think it would kill them to put in a "special thanks to" line, you would have to make some phone calls though.
      The good news: I gave up on being one of the cool kids!

11. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-30-2013 07:16 PM #11
      I don't know how you could prove causality unless there is a documentation trail.

It's an interesting form of flattery. Perhaps when some higher-res photos surface, shop the story to a few automotive blogs--someone would like to feature your car and its famous imitator.

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 99 Viggen Coupe
      05-30-2013 07:17 PM #12
      Wow that's pretty much the same. The flares have a slightly different shape but they definitely copied your custom wheels. I'd be mad. Not enough to file a lawsuit but at least get recognition. I'd contact the studio as well as various blogs and expose the 'carbon copy' of your cars design.
      Demokratikally Elekted Director of Espionage and Identity Theft and Minister of post-progressive-technical-melodic-avant-garde-metal for the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      My 16v Swap thread
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Oh mellberg is cool, but his car certainly isn't helping that happen.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      1986/VW/GTI - 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
      05-30-2013 07:20 PM #13
      Your car is amazing. The details and fit and finish are perfect. The transformer's car looks good but not executed perfectly. The flares is what really separates the two. Their flares just aren't quite right, don't match the lines. In a perfect world you should be flattered. In the real-world you should be pissed cause .01% of the population will know you did yours first. Almost everyone else will think you made a bumble-bee clone, and didn't get the flares right. You're going to get a lot of comments and questions on why your stripe isn't yellow. Try not to go insane and kill someone. Sorry man.

I'd be pissed. Royally pissed.

Vehicles
      '07 Mazda 3s GT, '13 Subaru Impreza Sport, KHS Flite 100
      05-30-2013 07:22 PM #14
      Shouldn't you be finding the shop that worked on / designed the car? They are commissioned by the studio execs to make him "tough" and "vintage" in the exact same year and car that you own... so the shop took to the internet to get inspiration for a bad-ass restomod / streefighter look and guess what - your car is plastered all over the 'net so you can guess what happens next.

They also didn't copy anything. You don't own the rights to the design nor is it an original work (most is just existing products aside from some custom fab). You don't sell conversion kits that they didn't purchase and you don't have an authority on muscle car design languages...So what exactly are you supposed to do?
      Last edited by oh noes! cars!; 05-30-2013 at 07:25 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by MK420TH92 View Post
      Now b/c of this im fkn paranoid about mines. For for theifs out there u better watch out... cuz im nockturnal....i dont go to sleep till 4am either.... and i bought a machette a ago... if i see u near my car im running out there and ima chop ur ass up.... real shiitt
      http://www.adventureseekers.co
      We are giants, with stars at our fingertips

Vehicles
      2003 GTI 2013 Jetta TDI
      05-30-2013 07:22 PM #15
      First off, your car is freaking amazing, and I don't even like Camaros that much. Secondly, that is the absolute suck if you have to hear people saying your car is Bumblebee. Idk what you can do about it though.

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit
      05-30-2013 07:32 PM #16
      It's a custom Camaro, I don't think you can copyright/patent the design. It does suck though. I'd push to get something in the credits for it, doesn't cost them anything to do that.

Vehicles
      Sonic RS
      05-30-2013 07:38 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by IVIcgurk View Post
      Brought my cousin to tears multiple times due to ridicule, his only retort was "It was my name FIRST!"
      Why should I change, he's the one who sucks?

OP, your car is awesome. And I'd feel pretty upset, but mostly because I can't stand the Michael Bay Transformers franchise.

Vehicles
      Gli , B5, Gti, Rdx
      05-30-2013 07:42 PM #18
      i would send them a email with pics of ur car and ......

honestly lawsuit is your best option. these are 100mil+ movies they should be able to hire creative builders and not copy for that money.

or email and show em ur car and say. i saw you liked my build... any chance of a job designing cars for your movies as your "designer" clearly just rips off other peoples builds and does a poor job at that.
      That said there is nothing new under the sun. audi handles tho make it pretty clear to me they saw the build thread somewhere.

Michael bay

Vehicles
      10' Mazda3 GT 6sp
      05-30-2013 07:50 PM #19
      I honestly dont think they intentionally copied you. You probably aren't the first person with this idea and you wont be the last.

And would people seriously sue over this? That seems so childish. "You cant do it! It was my idea first!"

PS. Yours looks much better though.

EDIT: The more i look at it, the more it looks like they may have copied you. There are too many 'small' similarities between the two.
      Last edited by Ender_; 05-30-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Vehicles
      2011 Rustang. Secretary Edition.
      05-30-2013 08:14 PM #20
      different grille, different wheel arches, different mirrors, different front spoiler, different wheels (theirs are super fat lip)

The idea is similar, but the execution isn't really all that similar.

Also, theirs isn't nearly as nice. Your car is AMAZING.

21. Member
      05-30-2013 08:35 PM #21
      At least you'll be able to buy your car as a transformer soon!
      DCI Rocky Mountains

Vehicles
      2007 TW Fit Sport
      05-30-2013 09:35 PM #22
      Your fender flares are much better then there's

23. 05-30-2013 09:43 PM #23
      I know guys that I cant do a whole lot as far as a sue.. which wasnt in my mind to do..

Imagine ANY of you guys car got blatantly taken to be the character in a movie where your car plays a Jar Jar Binks character.. even if you didnt envision it that way..

heres a large image TonyL found online.. supposedly there is already talk online of how its copied of mine..

I guess its all an emotional from "gearhead to gearhead" talk.. just some emotional support for the fact that its done anyways and not much I can do..

I dont feel any different about my car though.. soo much effort, time, and dreams went into the car.. and its mine either way.. im truly blessed to have it at all..

Vehicles
      1998 GTI, 2002 TT 225 Roadster
      05-30-2013 09:47 PM #24
      Take solace in the fact that they tried to copy your car and sucked at it? I don't think there is anything more you can do, realistically speaking.

Vehicles
      2008 9-3 2.0t
      05-30-2013 09:51 PM #25
      no.

Quote Originally Posted by tar View Post
      i would send them a email with pics of ur car and ......

honestly lawsuit is your best option. these are 100mil+ movies they should be able to hire creative builders and not copy for that money.

or email and show em ur car and say. i saw you liked my build... any chance of a job designing cars for your movies as your "designer" clearly just rips off other peoples builds and does a poor job at that.
      That said there is nothing new under the sun. audi handles tho make it pretty clear to me they saw the build thread somewhere.

Michael bay
      Quote Originally Posted by oh noes! cars! View Post
      Shouldn't you be finding the shop that worked on / designed the car? They are commissioned by the studio execs to make him "tough" and "vintage" in the exact same year and car that you own... so the shop took to the internet to get inspiration for a bad-ass restomod / streefighter look and guess what - your car is plastered all over the 'net so you can guess what happens next.

They also didn't copy anything. You don't own the rights to the design nor is it an original work (most is just existing products aside from some custom fab). You don't sell conversion kits that they didn't purchase and you don't have an authority on muscle car design languages...So what exactly are you supposed to do?
      yes.

Vehicles
      My driveway looks like a shady used car lot
      05-30-2013 09:53 PM #26
      The worst part is everybody that sees your car after the movie comes out is going to think you copied them.
      77 F100, 83 244, 94 540i

Vehicles
      '79 Volvo 242 project car, '93 Volvo 945, '91 Volvo 745t, '00 SAAB 9-5, orange dirt bikes
      05-30-2013 10:02 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Broduski View Post
      The worst part is everybody that sees your car after the movie comes out is going to think you copied them.
      that would be the part that really bothered me. "oh cool, a bumblebee replica"
      "Anything measured in grams is infinitely more exciting than something measured in pounds" - JC

28. 05-30-2013 10:07 PM #28
      Your car is perfect man... Give those imitators a call so at least they give you some recognition on the credits.
      So if it helps you I won't watch the movie on the cinema. lol Also bumblebee was a beetle not a camaro originally.

Vehicles
      1990 E30 M3
      05-30-2013 10:13 PM #29
      Truth be told, I like your car a whole lot better.

As far as having people ask if you copied bumblebee? Simple. Say "Hell no. Bumblebee copied ME!"

That is something you can wear proudly.
      --Measure with mike, mark with chalk, cut with axe, pound to fit, paint to match

Vehicles
      BMW 6 series Vert
      05-30-2013 10:15 PM #30
      More pics please so I can "Copy" your car too. Interior pics also so I can get the inside the same too.

31. 05-30-2013 10:18 PM #31
      Sue and split the winnings between the first flat black camaro owner, the 240Z and 510 owners that inspired your fender flares.

05-30-2013 10:24 PM #32
      Who cares?...

Vehicles
      My other VW is a WVW-W TDI
      05-30-2013 10:26 PM #33
      Put some horrid yellow vinyl on the nose of your car and go Hawc it at all the movie theatres every. single. night. each. week.

Charge $5 for a "signed photo"

Profit?
      · ·we're only gonna die for our own arrogance that's why we might as well take our time...
      · · /
      · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to Ø

Vehicles
      1995 Powerstroke, 1994 CBR900RR
      05-30-2013 10:27 PM #34
      That would really upset me. Instead of people seeing creativity and innovation, a couple of stupid kids who know nothing about cars will simply see a bumblebee copy. I'd hate to have that stigma attached to my car.

35. Member
      05-30-2013 10:29 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Tiero View Post
      Take solace in the fact that they tried to copy your car and sucked at it? I don't think there is anything more you can do, realistically speaking.
      This. They liked your (kick ass) car, and even being a "professional" shop/builder, whoever it was couldn't do a better job than you. That seems like something to be proud of

And also, hot damn that is one sexy beast. to you and your car. In the end you've still got your dream car, which is something most people will never do, so enjoy it

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast