VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

VW 99 Passat engine/abs issues 1.8T

7K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Jujtacoma2010 
#1 ·
I just bought this 99 VW Passat for $850 off a guy off craigslist. It had the airbag light on, but i cleared that with my scanner i bought from amazon. There is a check engine light on and the ABS light and a flashing brake light. I heard the ABS light and flashing brake light could mean the ABS control module is out. The problem is my scanner fails to connect to the ABS system and it can't read the check engine light either, and either could the scanner from o'reilly's. The scanner works fine on my 02 and 01 Jetta's so i think something is up with this car. any idea to what those lights mean? The car drives fine. It sometimes idles funny upon start up and rarely surges. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the Specs:
1.8 Turbo
181xxx miles
GLS
Automatic transmission

See less See more
#2 ·
More than likely the ABS module will need to be rebuilt. The solder points on the boards crack and fail causing the problem. You can send it to Module Masters or any of the other rebuilder/refurbishers and they will clean and re-solder everything like new. I had my wife's module rebuilt 3 years ago and it's still going strong. As for CEL you will probably need a better scanner or better yet a VAGCOM. If you're in northern NJ I'd be happy to scna it for you.

#4 ·
With these cars, it's common for a failed ABS module to lock up communications between a scan tool and the ECM. Unplug the electrical connectors from the ABS module and try scanning again.

As long as you're unplugging it, remove it entirely so you can set it out to be re-worked. You can still drive the car without that module and will have normal brake function, just no ABS function. It's likely you don't have ABS function now. Cover the exposed side of the ABS hydraulic unit with something to protect it while the module is off for repair. Wrap with garbage bags and tape. It doesn't need to look pretty. It only needs to keep water/dirt out of that area while the module is away on "vacation". :)

Repairing your module is the best option. A wreckers yard module may be broken or about to fail. It may be the same part number but not coded correctly for your car.

#6 ·
#10 ·
I have a junk yard near me called Crazy Rays and I got the abs module for $56 bucks used had to pull it myself and it looked brand new. Thanks for the info.
With all due respect... That was a mistake. There's an inherent weakness in the wiring inside these modules that makes it almost inevitable the thing will fail. IF the junkyard module works, there's a reasonable chance it will fail - most eventually do. And, depending on circumstances, the module may not match your car or will have to be re-programmed to work.

If you rebuild your own module, the shop makes improvements to the connections so they won't fail again; and there's no compatibility or programming issues. Sometimes, depending on who does it, the price can even be below $56.

NOTE: Ninja'd by Steve. Can you return the part to the junkyard?

#9 ·
A junk yard module sometimes works but there are a few potential problems. Since these modules fail regularly, how do you know if you're getting a working unit or a unit about to fail? Even with the same part number it may be codded differently then what your car needs. It'll still have the factory design defect that causes failure.

Having yours rebuilt removes the defect and you know it's properly coded for your car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.