Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Fox Project

Vehicles
      1989 Fox
      06-03-2013 07:50 AM #1
      Hey all, new here from ottawa-vdubbing. Not enough info on Foxes so it was time to move up. Found this little lady for sale and couldn't say no. 1989 2 door Fox. 93,800km on the odometer, body is in pretty great shape (a little hail damage unfortunately). Pretty much love at first sight. Towed it to its first home using an old Jetta TDI, then drove it to its second home, and had to pay someone to tow it to its third and current home. We were almost able to drive it that time lol.

Anyway, here she is at the link psyche! APPARENTLY they deleted my page, so you don't get a link.

Picked it up for an easy $500. I don't actually have a background in doing any more than basic maintenance on cars, so the learning curve is pretty huge. But everyone's got a first time, and I'm not useless with my hands. Basically the project is stalling right now though; a lot of things need to be done and being newly out of a job makes it pretty hard to spend money on the things that need replacing. I've heard food and rent are more important or something

Hopefully we'll get back at it, and get the thing running properly. Right now it drives for about 2 minutes and then dies. Over the next few weeks I'll be doing almost all new gaskets on the engine, yet another oil change, probably new spark plugs again since these are saturated in oil now, then playing with intake bypass, throttle body, CIS-e stuff, and distributor cap until I can get it idling smoothly and high enough that I don't have to pump the gas to keep it running. Fortunately, I have the one with the MASSIVE clock where a tach should be, and everyone knows that when trying to stabilize your idle speed, it's a lot easier to have a clock instead of a tachometer.

Anyone else on this board in Ontario with a Fox?
      Last edited by germanpettingzoo; 04-29-2014 at 05:32 PM.
      Hey! I've almost got a car now!

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1989 Fox Wagon GL
      06-03-2013 10:43 AM #2
      Welcome!

Runs and dies out, check the in-tank fuel pump.
      Is your main pump whining really loud?
      Just a thought!

Vehicles
      1989 Fox
      06-03-2013 08:16 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by 89wagen View Post
      Welcome!

Runs and dies out, check the in-tank fuel pump.
      Is your main pump whining really loud?
      Just a thought!
      Nah, it sounds ok. But that's actually a good point - PO had fuel tank replaced at a local tuning shop that I don't trust. I used to have work associations with them and they're totally useless (they shattered a wheel bearing while installing coilovers on an a4, among many other things). In fact they have a history of messing up fuel systems. And I never thought of it. I'll look into that! Thanks!

Vehicles
      '88 Fox Wagon x 2; '87 Fox Wagon; '02 Passat GLS Wagon 5-speed (So; Three Foxes and A Pig!)
      06-04-2013 12:48 AM #4
      Good to hear of another Canadian Foxer on the Vortex...!! Try not to feel at odds when you might be confronted with a projected operation; that will cost MORE than your original purchase price of the vehicle...some might contest, that it isn't worth it, to spend money on a car that only cost them "X" number of dollars......whatever you might spend.....just compare it to the cost of the operation, to what it would cost to do the same procedure to a NEWer car....pocket the projected difference...invest in some tools....and have some great fun deciding to do it yourself......because you will become VERY particular; about who you let touch your new found hobby...!!

I work at a Toyota dealership; and as a result, get to drive around in brand new cars all the time.....of course, this is just my opinion; but.....there IS something to the adage...."they don't build 'em like they used to..." all the cars built now have WAY too many computer controls for my liking.....a simple thing like a gas cap not tightened all the way could cost you a hundred bucks.....just to get it tightened...(wish that was a JOKE!)....and of course I am biased; in that, all I have ever owned and driven are '80s VWs....(just Sciroccos and Fox Wagons).....

There are so many ways to augment these cars....be thorough....read the threads on this Forum....pick a direction....and GO...!! There are so many talented and resourceful people on this Forum.....that, if you have a problem....post it (with pics!) and be as specific as you can....and more than likely, someone will reply with a response within the hour....!!! Perhaps that time frame is a bit exaggerated....but, many obstacles have been overcome by mutual experience.....for example....I took the dash off my car to replace a failed Heater Core: wouldn't have been able to change my heater core; with out the wonderful D.I.Y. posted by DubbinChris......you think you may not be able to do it....your support is HERE on the Forum....anything is possible......just a matter of time, perseverance, a willingness to get your hands (or gloves) dirty, and a few of those dollar things....

Parts are readily available if you have a credit card and a shipping address....some of the on-line prices for parts, BEAT the availability and prices that are available to you locally...

Post a couple pics of your Fox....your adventure awaits....!!!

Welcome to the Vortex...!!!
      KRAMMIT ...STAY TUNED! I KNOW I DO!

Vehicles
      1989 Fox
      06-04-2013 09:25 AM #5
      I've set myself up a photobucket and uploaded the pictures that I have on my computer. Apparently I need to get some off my phone still. These are all from the day I got the car. I'll add some of the work I've done when I find those. Also, I'm absolutely horrible about taking pictures while I'm working. I never think to stop and document. So. Won't really get progress pics, but maybe before/after. Who knows. Anyways. Here ya go.

Some general outside pics:

Engine bay. Nothing special... yet.

Inside:

Look at that odometer!

These rims came with the car. They're somewhere around 13/14 pounds I think. Not too shabby.

My personal favorite - we decided to just tow the car ourselves when we got it. It was only going down the road, less than 5km. So I grabbed the old TDI from work, put the trailer hitch on and strung them together with a tow rope. This was much more economical and WAY more fun than paying a tow truck. People were waving at us and giving us thumbs up. We had walkie talkies so we could communicate stopping, turning, etc. I was in the Fox and I had a friend drive the TDI. This was the only picture I grabbed while being towed.

Vehicles
      1989 Fox
      06-04-2013 10:24 AM #6
      You're about to get an essay, so get comfy. Or, skip to the bottom for tl;dr version.

Right now the main goal is to get it running properly. When I got it, the PO said the air sensor plate was faulty and that they had it running when they lifted the sensor plate. When I tried starting it, it would crank but it wouldn't start. We charged up the battery, gave it some gas, and tried again. It would then get to the point where it would turn over but IMMEDIATELY stall. So, a friend and I towed it to the garage where I was working and got busy trying to make it work.

Through some tinkering I found that the fault was actually the control plunger in the fuel distributor (FD for short); it was stuck up inside the main body of the FD. I tried to rebuild the FD but learned partway through that you're supposed to measure a bunch of things with a micrometer before you take it apart, and you need a pile of new and tiny pieces, you need a really special gasket (what they call a diaphragm) and apparently you should clean it using an ultrasonic cleaner. Not surprisingly, I don't have those things.

I'll try to get the video up on youtube of us trying to start it. Basically I was frustrated to the point of quitting, but we decided to try starting it up on the off chance that it worked. I had zero hope that it would improve things at all. Much to my surprise, it ran for a few seconds! Unfortunately, because of my hopeless attempt at rebuilding the FD, the control plunger shot all the way out and down into the bottom of the MAF. And apparently we failed to tighten the banjo fitting on the return line and fuel shot hilariously everywhere. Good times.

I managed to acquire a new FD from a 16v Passat. It wasn't perfect but it was better than the 400 dollars I was looking at to get one online. So I swapped the ECU from the side of the FD and, after shearing two banjo fittings while tightening them (apparently you should just replace those), we managed to start the car! It was seriously one of the best days of my life. I cant remember a time where I've felt so much joy and relief. Unfortunately the engine was unable to idle high enough to stop from stalling so I had to keep pressing the gas pedal, but god was it ever glorious to hear that thing actually working!

With renewed vigour, I changed the oil and the spark plugs, I soldered the wires onto the fuel pump (one of the plastic cap things on the fuel pump itself was damaged, and one of the connectors was severely fatigued). It seemed to be the cheapest solution. I used a pretty heavy gauge wire to extend the connection enough so I could remove the fuel pump and work outside the car and keep the soldering iron away from the gas tank. When time and money permit I'll establish a better solution, but this works and should last. I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron.

After I got things kind of together, I moved onto the next obvious issue - the low idle. Now, this is why I'd rather have a tach than a clock. It's pretty effing hard to tell just how bad your idle is and how far you need to adjust it when you have no numbers to work with. But regardless, I played around with the intake bypass valve until I could get it to the point where it would at least idle without me feeding it gas and I could actually turn the car off myself. It worked well enough, but there were a lot of issues still.

The old spark plugs had oil on the tips, but I didn't really think anything of it. I just assumed it was dirty. I was also excited to put in new ones! After getting the car to start and run, I decided to check out the spark plugs. The exhaust was pretty colorful, and it smelled like a two-stroke, so I was fairly certain it was getting oil in there. With the car not being driven anywhere and the spark plugs being in for less than a day, they were already covered in oil. So I'll be replacing a lot of gaskets in the very near future.

Things took a turn for the stationary when I had a pretty severe disagreement with my boss. I had to move my Fox off the office's property, which meant I had nowhere to work on it. It took me a couple weeks to source a garage where I could a) afford the damn thing and b) work on the car. FINALLY got a place, and then when I wanted to start working on the car again I got sick and a bunch of things came up and I couldn't do anything. Also at some point in here the e-brake cable went. I don't actually remember when that happened.

I'll get some pictures up pretty soon I hope, but basically I'm stuck at the e-brake because the drums won't come off. Some more things came up and I'm again unable to go at it a second time. Mainly I partially destroyed my finger on the heat shield that sits above the exhaust and had to go get a tetanus shot. Just so many swear words. So many.

Hopefully I'll be able to get back at it soon. I'm leaving for Virginia tomorrow so it won't be until next week. So for now I'll just plan. Here's some realistic prospects for the near future:

I want to debadge; then I want to rebadge using the current gen fox (the one that uses the standard VW font). I'm thinking that will go on the left side. Then on the right, I've ordered a 1.8 and an 8V badge. I will get my girlfriend to put those on so they go on straight

At my previous job I was about to embark on severely modding one of our smart cars, but ended up quitting instead (which made me a little sad, that thing would've rocked). As a result, I have this leftover Brabus aluminium e-brake handle with a nice leather boot. That'll be going on when I get the e-brake cable sorted. I did a quick test fit though and it goes on better than it did in the smart. I can't find a small enough picture on google, but just search up brabus smart brake handle if you're curious and don't want to wait for my picture.

If I can find one, I'd love to replace the big clock with a more useful tachometer. I guess it isn't completely necessary, but neither is a huge clock.

I can't afford to do a full sand down and paint yet, but I insist on dealing with some of my rust spots now. So when they're prettied up, I'm thinking I'll plasti-dip the entire car (cheaper and easier than paint) and have a chance to play with colors before I actually paint it. The car also has a bit of hail damage, so the roof, hood, and trunk lid have some little dents in them. I'll just fill those in with body filler and paint over. They're far to small to justify a proper dent pulling.

The battery will be going to the trunk. The spare wasn't with the car when I got it, and I'm not going to try tracking down a 4x100 spare in decent shape. So battery will move into there. I've read that if you can track down the wiring harness from one of the similar Audi models, it's about the right size. Anyway, that's a ways out right now but I'll think of something. I want to clean up the engine bay a little bit. I feel that it's far too busy for how much space there is. Also changing the oil filter is so much more effort than it's worth.

I'd love to find a manifold/downpipe to replace the stock 4-1 setup. At the same time I want to improve the intake. From the sounds of it, there isn't that much I can actually do. But I'll get some research in there hopefully in the next week. I need to actually get under the car and measure the exhaust diameter but I think PO upgraded to a 2" exhaust and took out the restrictor.

I wanna swap the headlights for the H4 conversion - trying to buy the sealed halogen guys is nearly impossible unless I order them online.

Train horn? lol.

I'll be doing some more reading, and with the wealth of information here I'll be able to figure some more things out that I want to do and can realistically achieve.

Eventually I want to get the car up on a hoist and replace a lot of the rusty parts. There's some stuff that's pretty bad now. Some parts are so rusted you can't even see them. I'll try getting some undercarriage shots later to give y'all an idea.

***** TL;DR VERSION *****

I got a Fox, it didn't start. I messed about, and it works a little. I need to replace some things and I have lots of realistic plans for the future. Scroll back up for details

Vehicles
      90 Audi S8coupe, 90 Fox Wagon, wife's 2008 CW R32, kid's 89 2l 16V gli, 2010 Jetta TDI
      06-04-2013 01:31 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by germanpettingzoo View Post
      The battery will be going to the trunk. The spare wasn't with the car when I got it, and I'm not going to try tracking down a 4x100 spare in decent shape. So battery will move into there. I've read that if you can track down the wiring harness from one of the similar Audi models, it's about the right size.

I wanna swap the headlights for the H4 conversion - trying to buy the sealed halogen guys is nearly impossible unless I order them online.
      The battery cable from a 88/89/90 3 series BMW is longer than the Audi cables. Larger and if you pull it right, comes with a small distribution panel for under the hood. You can mount it near your old battery box.

Don't get sealed halogens. Worthless. Get the replaceable bulb ones. Hellas are the best. Relay the headlights, and put 80/100 watt bulbs in it. Something like this:

http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/hell...kit-003427861/

Greg W.
      They have my car when they pry my dead cold fingers from the steering wheel.

Vehicles
      1990 2dr Fox
      06-04-2013 01:37 PM #8
      Nice writeup. Sounds like you're on the right track. I haven't found a good solution for the fuel pump connectors either....

Vehicles
      1989 Fox
      06-05-2013 07:13 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by 90quattrocoupe View Post
      The battery cable from a 88/89/90 3 series BMW is longer than the Audi cables. Larger and if you pull it right, comes with a small distribution panel for under the hood. You can mount it near your old battery box.
      Thanks Greg! That should be a helluva lot easier to find. We got this place near Ottawa called Europarts - it's a graveyard for European cars and they have a pretty good pile of old 3 series. They also have this amazing area of really old cars that normal people aren't allowed into. Were talking 50's era Mercs, there's a BMW 2002 Turbo in the pile somewhere. Fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by 90quattrocoupe View Post
      Don't get sealed halogens. Worthless. Get the replaceable bulb ones. Hellas are the best. Relay the headlights, and put 80/100 watt bulbs in it.
      Aye, those are pretty well what I meant. The H4 ones are replaceable bulbs. It would be kinda nice if they made one that takes H7's cause I have some brand new ones from my Rabbit, but ah well. Anything is better than those awful sealed ones.

Sounds like you're on the right track. I haven't found a good solution for the fuel pump connectors either....
      Yeah it seems to be a pretty flimsy stock setup they have. I used fairly heavy solder with a 60w soldering iron (as opposed to your standard 30w) and some heavy gauge wire. If you strip down a good 2, 2 1/2 inches of wire, pull the plastic off the connectors, and then wrap the wire around the posts you get a fairly strong connection. Once it's soldered on it feels solid. The only sad part is if you ever have to replace the fuel pump!

10. Member
      Vehicles
      '90 VW Fox Turbo, '93 Grand Cherokee V8
      06-05-2013 01:38 PM #10
      Welcome to the forum you'll find lots of great info and helpful folks on here.

I used to live in Ontario, but recently moved to Montreal and have yet to transfer my Fox' registration to QC.

I like where your project is headed; make sure to keep the rust at bay and your Fox will give you many years of joy

Vehicles
      1989 Fox
      06-06-2013 01:06 PM #11
      If there were a known upper distance limit of the universe, I'd have had it up to there with drum brakes.

So, here's the scoop: I tried just taking off one lug nut and looking for the adjusting wedge. Couldn't find it so I took off the wheel. Still couldn't find it. Tried hammering the crap out of the drum, and only managed to liberate a LOT of rust. Tried removing the axle nut. It won't budge. I've tried putting a screwdriver into the holes in the bolts and whacking it with a hammer. It just makes a lot of noise. Everything seems to be stuck. I'm beginning to fear I may have to get someone to cut the drum.

This is the drum. It's full of asbestos, rust, and hatred.

And this is a close-up of one of the bolts. Don't be thrown off by that hole in the center, there's nothing inside of it. It just ends. Despite looking like a hex, it's not. None of them are the same shape, and in fact this is the best looking one. The rest of the holes are crooked and most of them are smaller.

Any ideas? Or is it time to just hack the drum apart?

Vehicles
      1989 Fox
      06-06-2013 01:38 PM #12
      Despite the failures described in my previous post, I have actually managed to get some use out of today.

Started looking at the wiper motor, which isn't moving at this point. I wanted to see if there were any obvious failures before doing anything else. Fuse is ok, and none of the wires look to be broken. In doing this, I realized that when the hood is up, the light in the garage is almost completely blocked. So I took the hood off, which was mercifully easy. I was about to start testing things with my multimeter, but it turns out I've temporarily misplaced that. So, another thing on hold.

That green ball that's somehow involved in interior climate control, I honestly have no idea what it's called or what it does, but it's the source of a burning smell when I have the power on in the car for any longish length of time. I removed it to see if I could do anything, but it's really just a ball with a vacuum line running to it. I've decided to come back to that later.

With a sad face, I cut the carpet around the e-brake lever to pull the four bolts and at least get the new cable hooked up on the lever end. Turns out when the cable snapped, the latching mechanism in the handle (the part that makes it click) kinda... I'm gonna say fell apart, but that's not quite correct. The gear and the lock were no longer connected. After a lot of fighting with all the different parts, I managed to get it back together and clicking again. But for some reason, now the button doesn't go out far enough, so it doesn't actually stick out of the handle. This isn't too bad though, because when I put the Brabus handle on, I previously had no way to attach the aluminium button on account of its incorrect threading. But this new problem has given me a solution. I'm going to just drill out the end of the old plastic button, and glue in my aluminium one. It'll be perfect. I'm working on that today and I'll take some pictures when I'm done. Unfortunately I didn't actually get the brake handle back in the car and thus didn't get the cable connected, because I needed some tools that I have at home in order to get the button drilled out right. And through an annoying set of requirements I need to take care of the button before I can do anything else with the handle. Because why would it be easy?

I took a break to come up with a reasonable to-do list so I can keep things on track and give myself a good distribution of pointless-but-fun-and-achievable things versus you-have-to-do-these-and-you'll-hate-everything tasks. Also made a shopping list. By the looks of it, I need a pretty high paying job. Maybe I'll dedicate part of the garage to making a meth lab, I hear that makes a good chunk of money. (this is a joke)

I've debadged the trunk lid, which I will be rebadging with the new Fox badge on the left, and a 1.8 badge on the right. I've also ordered a 8V badge, but I'm not sure if that's going before or after the 1.8 one. We'll see what looks better. In that picture the VW badge is still on, but I have plans for that. Basically my trunk lock is gone, and I'm using a screwdriver to open it. I have an awesome plan but I need to make it work before I can share it. I promise it will blow your mind though. It'll be absolutely unique. The old Fox badge is moving up to the front; the space in between the bars on the grille is the exact same high as the Fox badge, as it turns out. So I'll be gluing that up front to help the younger VW people identify the car from the front

BONUS PICTURE

When I first put the car on stands it was fine. It's been up there for a few days now, and it seems to be sinking. :S oops.

BONUS STORY (because if you're even reading this far you clearly enjoy my rambling nature)
      I have this red handled LED flashlight which stopped working one day long ago. I had figured it's just dead batteries. So I finally opened it up today (I've managed to lose all of my lights and now this is all I have besides the one on my phone) only to discover that, yes, it was the battery. Because the batteries exploded. No idea how that happened. I've never seen anything like it before. But I had to dig the battery out in chunks with a screwdriver, and whack the handle on the ground a lot. It was interesting, anyways.

Vehicles
      1989 Fox
      06-07-2013 05:49 AM #13
      Feeling really quite stupid. Those bolts do come off. But I guess you have to work on cars when you aren't super tired. Makes things make more sense.

Still, I haven't managed to get the drum off. I found and pushed on the adjusting wedge but it hasn't really helped - the brakes weren't engaged and the wheel rotated freely before hand. The Bentley manual says to pry off this grease cap next but I don't see how. I've tried a variety of screwdrivers, pliers, hammer, bare hands, and intense staring. None of them worked, though I think the last one got pretty close (joke).

I thought putting in my new brake handle would make me feel better but it didn't. I'll try going back to it later today maybe but I need time away from it. I don't want to bog myself down in multiple simultaneous projects, so getting these brakes done is priority at the moment. Any suggestions for getting those hate-filled caps off is appreciated!

Vehicles
      '88 Fox Wagon x 2; '87 Fox Wagon; '02 Passat GLS Wagon 5-speed (So; Three Foxes and A Pig!)
      06-07-2013 08:41 AM #14
      Hey there germanpettingzoo.....get a pair of slip-joint pliers...open the pliers wide enough to grab the cap at 6 and 12 o'clock; get a firm grip on it...gently, but with intent; wiggle the pliers in a north-south direction...the cap will eventually come off.......

I tried to find a pic of the pliers....

These pliers are my main tool for doing rear brakes....the pliers can pull the cap off....remove the retaining springs...help unseat the springs...undo the retaining nut....remove the cotter pin with them....VERY useful.....hope this helps...!!

Best of Success...!!

P.S. I think some one went out of their way to install those studs....do you have studs sticking out of the front discs too...? there should be holes with bolts....not studs with nuts....
      Last edited by KRAMMIT; 06-07-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Vehicles
      1989 Fox
      06-07-2013 10:36 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by KRAMMIT View Post
      Hey there germanpettingzoo.....get a pair of slip-joint pliers...open the pliers wide enough to grab the cap at 6 and 12 o'clock; get a firm grip on it...gently, but with intent; wiggle the pliers in a north-south direction...the cap will eventually come off.......
      I will give it a shot today! I'm hoping that'll be it for my brake troubles. I think I know better than to expect it to go smoothly but I can keep hoping lol. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by KRAMMIT View Post
      P.S. I think some one went out of their way to install those studs....do you have studs sticking out of the front discs too...? there should be holes with bolts....not studs with nuts....
      I'm thinking that too. I'm assuming it's due to the rims. They have the locking nuts on them instead of standard lugs, and I'd say the original lugs didn't fit right with the rims.

Vehicles
      1989 Fox
      06-08-2013 03:32 AM #16
      KRAMMIT, I gotta give you some serious internet props here.

First thing this morning I grabbed my channel locks, gave a couple love taps with a mallet and the grease caps came off. Everything else came out just fine, spent a lot of time yelling and swearing at the cable ends that you need to feed into the brake drum. Getting it seating properly was a HUGE pain but I used the power of zip ties to hold everything out of the way so I could just put the cable in instead of messing about.

All that's left is to replace cotter pins, and then replace the adjusting nut on the actuating rod, because that was never actually there. I'll be visiting the scrap yard soon methinks, I'm assuming pretty much any VW in the 80's and early 90's will use the same part. Once those are done, just mount the cable up, adjust, and HUZZAH. I'll have handbrake! I'll post some pictures later but I'd much rather go to sleep instead.

Vehicles
      06-12-2013 03:49 AM #17
      Thanks Justin...!!! Glad it worked....and you could finally get those drums off...!! I have seen a similar set up with a Golf that my buddy stripped....he GAVE me the rims to put on my car.....but, what I didn't realize.....was that the hubs were incompatible...!!

Rather than find studs to put in my drums and hubs.....I sought out the help of a wheel/rim shop.....they suggested a quick fix.....HUBCENTRIC RINGS...!!! I had to take my car to buddy....showed him the rim....(took it off my car)...so that he could measure the inside diameter of the hub of the rim......then he consulted his computer to reference what size ring would fit on the hub of a Fox.....and he sold me a set of rings to fit the rims specifically to fit my Fox...

...Just drop the ring into the hub of the rim; and it will sit perfectly on the hub, so that you can spin the rim.....without having to balance it at the same time.....to easily line up the holes to put the wheel bolts in.....

I realize this will cost a few dollars...the set of rings was about $20....the amount of time and aggravation saved....PRICELESS....but you will still have the issue of replacing the discs and drums.....if you are in a pinch...I know for a fact...that I can get drums for $50 each (new, 200 mm), and rotors for $20 each (new; 9.4 inch, stock).....then you will need 16 lug bolts....plus inner and outer bearings for the drums....(which need to be seated; and sealed on the back).....just a thought.......another thought....those rims look pretty SHARP...!!!

Vehicles
      1990 2dr Fox
      06-12-2013 03:55 PM #18
      Probably the rims are cone seat vs the VW ball seat and the guy had some cone nuts and found it cheaper to go with studs then replace all the lug bolts. Lug bolts are damn expensive. No good reason to change it.

Vehicles
      1989 Fox
      06-13-2013 05:47 AM #19
      I've had a lot of time off and spent very little of it working on the car.

I've ordered new gaskets for mah engine - it's a pretty big set, but mainly I want the head gasket and valve cover gasket. It comes with a whole lot more but I figure I'll be ready in case other gaskets look like crap too. Anyways, they're supposed to be here by the 21st of June, so hopefully before then I can get my ebrake sorted out. As I mentioned before it's missing a couple parts, so I'll need to replace those first.

Today I'm going to try to make a trip out to Europarts and see if they've got any ebrake setups lying around. I'll grab some pictures (I know I'm the worst about saying I'll post pictures but I honestly can't find the cable to connect my phone to my computer lol) for you non-Ottawa folks so you can see what I'm on about. This place is seriously awesome. The guy who runs it is a VW genius. When I went in to ask about the fuel distributor he knew the part number off the top of his head right away. Super cool guy.

I guess other news is my 8V badge came in the mail yesterday. 1 out of 3 is in!

Anyways... more updates later when I actually do something.

Vehicles
      1989 Fox
      06-19-2013 05:28 PM #20
      First I have to apologize for the enormous pictures. I normally resize them on my computer but the hinges holding up my monitor decided to break and now I have to do everything from my phone, or one handed typing holding my laptop screen in the other hand.

Made my trip out to Europarts as promised. But with no success. Turns out NO OTHER CAR EVER uses the same brake cable setup as the Fox. Instead of the actuating rod running under the car with the compensator at the end like on the Fox, every other VW model seems to be using a setup where the cable connects much closer to the actual brake handle, and using two cables instead of one. So, THAT bit is annoying. I'll come up with a solution later, I suppose. Maybe I can find similar nuts at Fastenal or something.

Meantime, here's some pictures of Europarts, so y'all know what I'm on about.

Quite possibly the best part about that trip was this:

Late model Fox, I think a '93. It looks quite good, from what little I could see. I'm going to make another trip out just to check that car out, but the guy said he's going to try putting it on the road. I'm curious how the underside looks, because the interior and body (aside from badly needed paint job) look just fine. Maybe I can bring my Fox count up to two?

I managed to acquire myself a new instrument cluster, one with a tach. YAY. $20 well spent. ALSO I FOUND A SWORD! Lol I was looking through an open trunk to find something to pry open a door and there was just this sword in there. So I snagged that because how often do you find a sword?

Other news, landlady is insane. Apparently my using one light is "burning her electricity" and I will have to pay extra if I use lights while working on the car. So. Moving again soon. Hopefully gaskets come in before then, and hopefully that'll be enough to get it moving under its own power.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      '90 VW Fox Turbo, '93 Grand Cherokee V8
      06-20-2013 02:14 AM #21
      Good score on the cluster, every Fox deserves a tach cluster

The red Fox in the picture looks like a '87 - '90 (commonly referred to as a Fox I), you can tell by the early tail lights.

Do you already have the newer style Fox emblem you're planning on using? If not, I have a couple of those that I had brought from Brazil but never used, that I could let go for cheap.

Vehicles
      1989 Fox
      06-20-2013 10:19 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by alaincopter View Post
      Good score on the cluster, every Fox deserves a tach cluster

The red Fox in the picture looks like a '87 - '90 (commonly referred to as a Fox I), you can tell by the early tail lights.

Do you already have the newer style Fox emblem you're planning on using? If not, I have a couple of those that I had brought from Brazil but never used, that I could let go for cheap.
      Hmm, the guy said it's 92 or 93, but now that you mention it those are definitely not later model lights. In his defense he hasn't looked at the car for like 4 years lol.

And yeah, my Fox badge is on it's way from Germany. Should be here in less than a week and I'll be ready to rock.

Vehicles
      1989 Fox
      06-20-2013 05:38 PM #23
      Made it back into the shop today. Finally.
      Connected up my ebrake cable. I'm missing a couple bits but for now I'd just like it to be together again. Did a quick push test to make sure it actually works with weight on the wheels, and it's kinda slow but it does work. I'm going to need to do new drums at some point ANYWAYS so I'll let it be for now.

Mounted the heat shield back up (ignore those zip ties. Just reminding me I need a screw there)

Got impatient and put my 2 of my 3 badges on.

While I was under the car I got a couple pictures of some sad bits:

And realized my door is hiding rusty secrets from me

I also checked out my air filter, since I can get back to focusing on the engine now that the brakes are more or less taken care of. I'll be doing a not small amount of research and then set about replacing some gaskets to stop the oil from getting in there. But until said gaskets arrive I figured I'd check out some other things. Air filter was fine (but I'll still replace it with one of those reusable K&N's) but the box had some sludge in the bottom. I cleaned that out and put 'er all back together.

I decided to call it an early day on account of having pulled a muscle in my neck. But with the couple hours I spent with the car I'm pretty happy. The rest of the night is research, and MAYBE I'll make it back in there tomorrow, but probably not.

Vehicles
      Gli bagged (rip) in progress Gli 24v
      06-23-2013 06:45 PM #24
      I want one
      instagram @bagsonblue

25. Member
      Vehicles
      1988 VW Fox, 1989 Peugeot 505 Wagon rolling shell, 1998 Saturn SL1, (but just while I fix my Fox!)
      06-24-2013 11:32 PM #25
      That is one awesome wrecking yard you visited there! I noticed that there is a red Passat in one of the photos, and it has the 15" Estorils. Those would fit the Fox, and look really sharp, imo.

But not sure what direction you are going wheel wise with this car. Nice Fox you have there btw!

Vehicles
      1989 Fox
      06-26-2013 12:50 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by myboxyfox View Post
      But not sure what direction you are going wheel wise with this car. Nice Fox you have there btw!
      Thanks! I'm not sure what I wanna do either. That place is actually awesome because he's got a whole pile of rims there, but they're all really nicely organised so all the 4 bolts are together. Lots of really unique looking old VW and Audi rims up there.

So, my gaskets got held up at the border for a while and now they're chillin at the ups depot. Just have to make it out there to pick it up, and then I can start doing some fun stuff. In the meantime, I got my Fox badge on!

Sorry, I apparently couldn't be bothered to resize this one. Better luck next time.

They're a little bit crooked. Actually they're quite crooked. I'll probably end up moving them around; I got quite good at it at my last job while moving smart car badges around. I was just excited and measured it by eye. Apparently that was not very smart. Oh well. I like making things harder than they have to be.
      Last edited by germanpettingzoo; 06-26-2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: apology for not resizing a picture

Vehicles
      1989 Fox
      07-23-2013 01:17 AM #27
      Well, it's been a busy few weeks since my last update. Ottawa has experienced some wretched heat, and many things have changed in my life. For reasons too complicated and lengthy to explain, my girlfriend is having to move away for a little while, and she's taking the Rabbit with her. That means I have until September 1st to get this car roadworthy or I shall have to endure the miseries of public transit. Yuck!

So, to work then!

First day back at it, the temperature hit 43 degrees celsius, which is about 109 I believe for the American foxers. So, I enlisted some help, and we made a very manly fridge using a couple bags of ice and an oil pan.

Then we set about trying to change the head gasket. I'm not convinced it was really dysfunctional, but the timing belt needed changing and a few other gaskets and rubber bits, so I figured, how hard can it be?

We busted out the Bentley and set to work. Everything was going well, especially when we drained the coolant:

I also noticed an interesting specification on the coolant overflow:

Yes. All of it went in the tray! That green stuff on the floor is just... car tears... No but seriously the pressure in that system is intense and I wasn't prepared for it to actually come out that quickly, or at my face. But oh well, at least it didn't actually get on my face. Just my shirt and arms and hands.

The book said to remove the intake hose at the manifold, which was very easy since it had decided to rust itself away anyways. I tried to get a picture, but it didn't turn out well. Anyways, the whole mounting bracket or whatever it is has just completely rusted away. It didn't look especially healthy.

Then we got to the crank pulley. You may have seen my thread about the bolts getting stuck. I still haven't had a day where I can go in to remedy that situation yet, so progress has been slowed again. This week I have some days free to head in and deal with it. And I will be making more of an effort to work on it, given that I'm going to be without a car fairly soon.

Over the next week, I expect I'll have the bumper off, the crank pulley off and onto whatever other terrific obstacle is next. Hopefully before August I can get the head gasket changed, the engine back together, the oil/spark plugs changed again, and then I can start looking at my in-tank fuel pump and my vacuum lines. Something between the two of them is prohibiting the car from running, and I've yet to find out which. Also my torque wrench has decided it would just like to be a very large socket wrench instead. Anywho, fingers crossed on the valve stem seals not being ruined, because I don't have the tools to replace those myself or the money to have someone else do it.

Vehicles
      1990 2dr Fox
      07-23-2013 01:28 AM #28
      The part number begins in 171, indicating that it was originally designed for a Rabbit. That being said, I'm surprised they didn't just make copies in Brazil.

http://www.clubvw.org.au/vwpartnos
      http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/V...-explained.htm
      Last edited by bluetoes591; 07-23-2013 at 01:33 AM.

Vehicles
      1989 Fox
      07-23-2013 02:07 PM #29
      Interesting. Also useful link!

I was mostly giggling about the West Germany bit. See I was born in between the wall coming down and them actually officially getting rid of the east/west thing, so for me it's always just been Germany. And my other veedub is new, so it doesn't have anything like that. Anyways, I had a laugh.

Sent with Tapatalk, which isn't really that good.

Vehicles
      1992 Passat Syncro Wagon, 1987 Fox Wagon (Project)
      07-26-2013 12:11 AM #30
      First thing first. Your ramblings are hilarious.

Second, if you ever want to sell that Fox, you message me first. Its in much better shape than mine.

Third, Lord Thundering Jesus. That yard is awesome. I have a feeling that you'll see a tall german and a fat newfie in Ottawa raiding that yard before too long. Is he open on weekends?

When I'm not dead tired, I'll make a better reply to some of your issues.
      Quote Originally Posted by 90quattrocoupe
      I am old enough that I only have to be nice when I want to.

Vehicles
      1989 Fox
      10-07-2013 12:36 PM #31
      Hello again friends/foxers! (I've included a tl:dr at the bottom)

I've been on a bit of a hiatus. Basically what happened is I broke up with my girlfriend of 8.5 years and have been living on a friend's couch. She took the car in our "divorce" which left my german petting zoo moniker in a bit of a sad state. And then my bills and low income caught up with me and I lost my garage. Add to that I was not in the highest of spirits, and I was pretty unable to work on the fox. It was to the point that I even stopped browsing the forums because it made me sad lol. But this story has a positive upturn!!!

I found myself a decent paying job (that I can do from home!) and am now employed in two places.
      In early September I secured a house to rent with a couple good friends. A 3 bedroom house complete with washer and dryer, finished basement, wood stove, central air, central vacuum, and most importantly (this was originally my only search criteria) a rather large two car garage...

Complete with a corner to leave piles of stuff in...

A thing that could be considered some sort of work bench...

A corner with things that represent who I am as a person - a shredded Mcdonald's tray from the time we did tray drifting in my friends old mk4 golf, a piece from my rabbit's undertray that came off while driving through Amish country, and a cloth that VW sent me to clean the car but I never used because I didn't want it to get dirty.

A board to keep my tools in a kind of organized fashion...

And some old timey looking jars...

...which are perfect for organizing and storing screws and things!

But before getting to any of that, I had to get the car to the garage. So in typical fashion, I got out the ol' tow rope and went for another terrifying journey. It looked something like this:

So with the car safely (and possibly illegally) delivered, all was looking well!

The next day (which, as it happens was yesterday) I set to work. I'd left off with the engine not wanting to come apart because I couldn't get any leverage on the crank pulley bolts so it wasn't going anywhere. I also have a botched front end; the bumper is kinda crooked and looking a bit strokey. Logically, I decided kill two birds with one bird killer and I'd remove as much of the front as possible in order to get some space to work in, and upon reassembly be able to fix this crooked weirdness.

The fender came off first. Now, my experience with it is a bit odd because this car had an accident years ago and the fender was replaced. Whoever did it didn't do a great job but I don't really blame them. VW decided to hold the wheel well lining in with these plugs that seem impossible to remove. These folks took it upon themselves to replace those plugs with a variety of screws. One was a 10mm bolt, one was a torx 25, and one was a different plastic plug that functions similar to a drywall plug. I think it may be called a rawl plug.

Anyway, lifted the car, removed the wheel. Took out the five 10mm bolts along the top of the fender, two in front of the wheel well, and one on the underside at the back of the fender. Mudflap came off with three philips head screws. Then the tricky bit. In the front of the wheel well there's a little rail that looks haphazardly bolted onto the frame and the bottom of the fender. I only unbolted it from the fender, which was for some reason a 6mm bolt. Then there are these two plastic plugs that connect the bumped on the side. These have to come out, which is either going to be really easy or a huge pain in the ass. I was able to get them out pretty quickly with needle nose pliers, then it's just a matter of popping out the clips.

Off came the fender, which was no party. When pulling it off, I had to do a lot of wiggling about because it wanted to keep clipping back onto the bumper or it wanted to get stuck on something else. Obviously I had to hang the fender on the wall like a trophy.

I spent for ****ing ever getting the bumper off because on the underside they put these plastic screw/plug things that are almost impossible to remove. I'd put so much time into it that I couldn't be bothered to take pictures. But, the bumper hooks into the front of the car with six 17mm bolts, two on either side accessible from the top, and another one each on the engine side of the square tubing. And then those four annoying plugs. I used needle nose pliers, a very small pry bar, and a very large wrecking bar. And safety goggles. For the love of god wear safety goggles.

In order to get to the bolts on the right side, I had to take the entire headlight housing out because it was in the way of one of those bolts I mentioned. If you wanted you could use a wrench instead of a socket but I figured I'd probably need it out of the way anyways so out it came. Four philips head screws accessible from in behind on weird angles. I had to unclip the air box so I could move the cold start valve for one of the screws.

At this point, I'd been working for a few hours, and decided if I'm going to have the car apart anyways, I might as well throw in some rust hunting. For example, this is where the fender bolts on with the two 10mm's at the front:

So, I'm continuing along. I decide it makes sense to take off the other fender. Well it turns out this mother****er is welded on. I don't have a plasma cutter. I also don't want to deal with it. So naturally I've ignored the problem for now.

Is a welded fender normal?

Bumper and right fender off, right headlight housing out, hood off, right wheel off, and this is what I was looking at

Critically, has it helped me at all? Can I access the crank pulley a little easier now?

No. Not really. I have a slight amount of access if I have something long enough to get through the front, but the problem is that's part of the frame, and it has an engine mount. It's not perfect, but it's pretty much what I expected, and at least...

I had to use that. Sorry. Creds to whoever posted that. Honestly I couldn't be bothered to find out who or where.

Earlier I had mentioned the plugs holding in the wheel well lining. I had to remove a couple on the left side to access those plugs that hold the bumper on at the side. So if you're trying to figure out what to do with yours, here's what I did:

I took some channel locks, and found the top of the plug on the engine bay side of the fender. Then I grabbed it and pulled really hard. This breaks the terrible rubber bit that the plug pops into. Then take a hammer and a screw driver, ballpoint pen, or in my case a railroad spike (no for real, I have one of those and it's brilliant) and proceed to smash the little bastard out. When it's time to reassemble, a nut/bolt/washer combo will do the trick. Or you can pick up some rawl plugs with the easy to remove pins. Those are exactly as useless as the ones that VW installed but at least they're, as the description implies, easy to remove.

I also removed the washer fluid reservoir. It was filthy and I want to make it cooler. I plan on putting a couple little white led's underneath it and wire it in so that when the hood is open, it lights up. I did a mockup and it looks pretty cool. And I like silly things. Taking that out was a matter of patience and prying. I used my handy wrecking bar and wiggled out the reservoir, clamped the tube and disconnected it at the t-junction, and then emptied the reservoir into my smart car because it was low on fluid. Sharing is caring.

I cleaned up, took my pictures, and then realized I really hate the state of my oil pan. I'm going to replace that. Gross.

TL;DR version!

Broke up with my girlfriend, lost the Rabbit, lost the garage, lost my home, lived on a couch, scored a pretty cool job, rented a house with a big garage, towed the fox home, took its face off.

I've missed you internet folk, and I promise I'll be more interesting now that my car isn't living outside behind a local tuning shop. Immediate goals on the fox are to clean up the engine bay (it's full of dirt and sadness), replace the oil pan, deal with some of my rust problems, and of course continue banging away at the engine.

P.S. it's worth mentioning, I pulled a box of books out of storage and found a pile of Haynes manuals. They never made one for the Fox, but they did make it for the Golf/Rabbit/Jetta/Pickup from 197X - 1992. It includes a bunch of helpful things about the 8V 1.8L, CIS-e, and some other really useful stuff. And their pictures are actually pictures of the car instead of the useless diagrams in the Bentley. So if you can find one, it may be useful.
      Last edited by germanpettingzoo; 04-23-2014 at 10:42 AM.

Vehicles
      1989 Fox
      10-07-2013 05:56 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by efritsch View Post
      First thing first. Your ramblings are hilarious.
      Thank you! I'm glad someone enjoys reading them as much as I enjoy rambling them.

Second, if you ever want to sell that Fox, you message me first. Its in much better shape than mine.
      I don't think I could ever sell it. It was very romantically love at first sight. It's been my baby since I saw the kijiji advert.

Third, Lord Thundering Jesus. That yard is awesome. I have a feeling that you'll see a tall german and a fat newfie in Ottawa raiding that yard before too long. Is he open on weekends?
      Haha go for it! The guy who runs it is super friendly and an easy going guy. Smart too. He knows the crap out of a v-dub. I think he's closed sundays but open saturday.

When I'm not dead tired, I'll make a better reply to some of your issues.
      I await your replies! I'm actually back now so I'll actually be reading them lol. I have some catching up to do.

Vehicles
      1989 Fox
      10-11-2013 07:36 PM #33
      Got some more work done! Yay!

First things first though: My Fox has a mascot, and it's a snail. He lives on the tire and I've named him Jeffery.

So, after my last adventure, I decided that a good first step to removing the oil pan is to drain the oil. I let it all out, put the wheel back on (the one I removed to get the fender off), and took the car off its jack stands. Man, I gotta say, without the fender or bumper on, it looks like something outta Mad Max. It's pretty awesome.

When I drained the coolant a while back, I noticed a white powder coming out of my radiator, and it didn't matter now many times I hit it, more came out. I figured this was worth investigating, and I was also curious how things looked underneath. So, first of all, here's how it's looking right now:

Delightfully clean underneath, all things considered. The other side of the engine bay isn't fairing as well as this side, but I'll get there eventually. I was expecting horrid rust and bits falling apart but it's overall not too too bad. But here's the pile my radiator left after extracting it:

So I went back to trying to remove those bolts for the crank pulley, and what a disaster that's been lol. I managed to get two of them out, but the other two just stripped. Now I have no idea how to extract them. I tried smashing a socket over them, tried a screw extractor bit, and I tried a 12-point wrench (and it almost ****ing worked too!). I'm at the point where I'm thinking either grinding down the sides to make it more of a square shape and hoping I can break it loose with some long, long pliers, or cutting it apart and trying to use a screwdriver. Any thoughts anyone?

Here's the state I've left it in:

I had to leave for work so I was unable to get much further, but hopefully I'll get back at it soon enough.

If anyone has any thoughts on either my bolt predicament or what the hell that white dust from my rad could be, lemme know!

Vehicles
      88 fox wgn, 93 F150, 87 1490 Gixxer, KTM300,CRF450X +R, 98 A4 B5
      10-12-2013 10:41 PM #34
      If you can get a hammer swing into that area, I've used time and time again a simple cold chisel, angle it in the direction of loosening... Pound away sir (better than an impact wrench)

Welcome to the Fox world sir, nice ride you have! Was that colour stock?

Vehicles
      1989 Fox
      10-13-2013 02:39 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by What the Fox View Post
      If you can get a hammer swing into that area, I've used time and time again a simple cold chisel, angle it in the direction of loosening... Pound away sir (better than an impact wrench)
      Hmm... I may be able to lift it up and go from underneath. I'll give that a go. I was looking at a $160 impact wrench set today, so I'm glad I may be able to do it a different way!

Quote Originally Posted by What the Fox View Post
      Welcome to the Fox world sir, nice ride you have! Was that colour stock?
      Thanks! Colour is stock, but unfortunately it's being replaced down the road after I do some body work. It's got some unpleasant rusty bits that I've been sanding out whenever I'm stuck. I kinda like the colour though because I don't know if it's grey or tan, so it's mysterious lol.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast