Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: INSANE Campaign to Stop Drunk Driving

1. 06-09-2013 09:13 PM #1
      Enjoy.

Compliments of the UK.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

Vehicles
      2007 Vue, 1997 K1500, 2008 Mazda3
      06-09-2013 09:19 PM #2
      pretty sure their nights were over then, unless they had a change of pants in the car.

3. Member
      06-09-2013 09:21 PM #3
      Well done.

The US could learn a thing or two about campaigning against drunks. Our campaigns are usually pretty weaksauce. And we have the highest DUI rate in the world. Go figure.

4. Banned
      Shytcago, IL - hell hole of all hell holes
      Vehicles
      74 Subaru DL, 78 280Z,94 Sentra SER, 86 CRX Si, 86 Suzuki 700 Intruder (still own) 07 Fit (still own
      06-09-2013 10:16 PM #4
      One campaign after another to stop drunk driving seems to make little to no difference. As much as you might not like it, we need to make automobiles more autonomous. Pretty soon the automatic braking you see featured in many luxury cars will filter down to the mainstream and even entry level cars too.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      06-09-2013 10:34 PM #5
      As much as you might not like it, we need to make automobiles more autonomous.
      Making cars smarter is gonna fix drinking and driving?

How about humans acting smarter?

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      06-09-2013 10:44 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Detector View Post
      One campaign after another to stop drunk driving seems to make little to no difference. As much as you might not like it, we need to make automobiles more autonomous. Pretty soon the automatic braking you see featured in many luxury cars will filter down to the mainstream and even entry level cars too.
      Little to no difference?

|˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      i've a horse outside.
      06-09-2013 11:03 PM #7
      So are cars 38% safer now than 1991? Or is there less drunk driving?

How does that number correspond with total accidents associated with drunk driving over the same time period?
      shut your mouth. sh sh shut your mouth.

Vehicles
      2012 GTI 6MT
      06-09-2013 11:05 PM #8

I would need several drinks after witnessing that.

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      06-09-2013 11:08 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by TwoLitreVW View Post

How does that number correspond with total accidents associated with drunk driving over the same time period?
      Also, total vehicle miles driven is up 30%..

|˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      91 Jeep Comanche Eliminator 4x4, 03 Nissan Altima
      06-09-2013 11:10 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by TwoLitreVW View Post

prob little of a and little of b
      Quote Originally Posted by turbo_nine View Post
      Is that like a volcano of douche, or just a canoe of douche?

11. Member
      Vehicles
      95 civic hatch POS; 73 plymouth scamp
      06-09-2013 11:15 PM #11
      A. holy crap

B. while i don't advocate driving drunk in the least bit, had i been in their situation at the time of the "demonstration" i'm not sure if i would have paralleled a head being smashed through a bathroom mirror and drunk driving. granted they're at a bar of some sort, and thats what happens when you crash but id be pretty freaked out with no warning or conversation about drunk driving post the head coming through the mirror and thats probably what i would be focused on, not not driving home that night. if anything; and had i been drinking/drunk, i'd definitely think i was being ****ed with. i'd walk out, gather my buddies to check it out, go back to drinking.. or home to change without drunk driving crossing my mind because of it
      Quote Originally Posted by apexT View Post
      All cars suck and are a terrible investment I am going to jump on my razor scooter and be done with it

Vehicles
      VW
      06-09-2013 11:20 PM #12
      A good Lawyer in US of A would have a field day w this.
      Camera in the bathroom,Traumatizing people causing mental and health issues and im sure couple of other things can be added up. You gotta love our legal system.

We don't need smarter cars, we need bigger penalties. First time offender, 5yr probation and loss of license for 2yrs. 2nd time 5yrs in jail and permanent revoke of the license.
      Lets see how many people will drive drunk TWICE.

I know a girl who has lost five friends during a two year period to DUI. She has gotten three DUIs since.
      "Your pants too tight,your wheels too bright"

13. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      06-09-2013 11:26 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post

We don't need smarter cars, we need bigger penalties. First time offender, 5yr probation and loss of license for 2yrs. 2nd time 5yrs in jail and permanent revoke of the license.
      Many DUIs are repeat offenders who already have had their license suspended.
      Maybe we should look at the mental health aspect versus just jail time.

Vehicles
      mk4/mk5
      06-09-2013 11:27 PM #14
      jettaaddiction/bbsrs

15. Member
      06-09-2013 11:29 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Many DUIs are repeat offenders who already have had their license suspended.
      Maybe we should look at the mental health aspect versus just jail time.
      It's easier to just throw everyone in jail

Vehicles
      VW
      06-09-2013 11:31 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      You can cure idiots, so throw them in jail. When you think about it, they could commit mass murder one night. SInce its repeat offender....
      "Your pants too tight,your wheels too bright"

17. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      06-09-2013 11:34 PM #17
      All joke aside... repeat DUI offenders are usually long time alcoholics.
      I lost an old friend a few months ago because he just drank himself in the grave after losing his job (riding unemployment for 18 months- having to go to work was the one thing that kept him from being drunk 24/7).
      The only way to really address the issue is to address the alcoholism.

18. 06-10-2013 12:34 AM #18
      Wow, interesting campaign! Also remember that public trans is better around the world. I imagine thats a factor.

Vehicles
      '86 Mustang GT
      06-10-2013 12:43 AM #19
      That was more of a prank than an anti-drunk driving campaign.

Vehicles
      1983 BMW 320I
      06-10-2013 12:46 AM #20
      Dat kinda scared me. Made me jump a little

Vehicles
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      06-10-2013 01:46 AM #21
      And we have the highest DUI rate in the world. Go figure.
      Damm cops only take bribes from gang members here.

In CZ, its quite normal to drive after drinking w/o anyone telling you shouldn't unless you are totally incapable. There are much less accidents too somehow.

Philly (now) <--> Bangkok 5555555 (later)
      Vehicles
      2001 Mazda Miata BRG SE / 2013 Toyota Yaris / 2007 Kawasaki Ninja (DOA), 2005 Team Associated RC18t
      06-10-2013 02:43 AM #22
      Hash tag: #constipationbegone
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam Carolla
      "It shouldn't be called a radar detector, it should be called a rape detector. This is my own little electronic rape whistle."
      (ง'̀-'́)ง

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      06-10-2013 02:51 AM #23
      Why do posters in this thread assume this is a public stunt, rather than what it is - an ad campaign with paid actors?

Quote Originally Posted by NathanDetroit View Post
      I would need several drinks after witnessing that.
      Aung San Suu Kyi

Vehicles
      Nothing that's TCL approved
      06-10-2013 03:08 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by feels_road View Post
      Why do posters in this thread assume this is a public stunt, rather than what it is - an ad campaign with paid actors?

Exactly. The liability of causing someone with a heart condition to have an attack and die, as one example, would make me think this is an orchestrated stunt. Otherwise it's just asking for trouble. And don't think people in the UK wouldn't sue either if this was "real" and not orchestrated with actors.

Vehicles
      2003 VW Jetta, 2012 CC R-line
      06-10-2013 07:56 AM #25
      If I was one of those guys in that situation id be suing every person I possible could and Id be the new owner of that bar.

Assuming of course that it wasn't set up

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      Corrado
      06-10-2013 08:18 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Detector View Post
      If a zero-tolerance rule was put forth - literally, blow anything over the legal limit, license revoked for a minimum of 5 years - I bet drunk driving comes down. The penalties are not severe enough. Professional athletes and celebrities are paying off the families of those they either kill or injure so charges aren't pressed, multi-millionaires get their lawyers to plead everything down or out. There is no flat, unbiased penalty for it. Beyond license revocation, some sort of mandatory jail sentence should also be imposed, based on the severity of the violation.

And don't give me the "bad judgement" or "one mistake" excuses. I'll admit, I've driven after a couple beers, but I don't plan on it every again. I may trust my own abilities, but if someone else causes an accident, and I'm the one who's had some alcohol, i'm in trouble. And rightly so. There can, and should, always be a DD.
      Project Corrado RS: Keep Up
      MSD 12v VR6 coilpack setup/components For Sale: Here
      Other items for sale: Sparco, VR6 HVAC box, VR6 radiators, Mocal Oil Cooler: Here

Vehicles
      MK3 2.0T, 2013 Elantra GT
      06-10-2013 08:38 AM #27
      Camera in the bathroom,Traumatizing people causing mental and health issues and im sure couple of other things can be added up. You gotta love our legal system.

I know a girl who has lost five friends during a two year period to DUI. She has gotten three DUIs since.
      Statistically speaking, it's like something close to 90% of first time offenders never receiver a 2nd DUI... and that's with some pretty lenient first timer laws already. Not saying it's right... but yeah.

To be honest, I remember all of the DARE classes about why drugs are bad and why not to do them, alcohol is bad... don't drink it, don't have unprotected sex, etc... but they didn't really touch on driving under the influence. I didn't take driver's ed, which is where they apparently talk about it, but from what I'm told is that they show you is the WORST CASE SCENARIO... driving completely hammered and smashing into a day care or something. They need to start showing more realistic scenarios so kids can relate better...

Junior in college, goes out to the bar, has 4 or 5 drinks
      Drives home... forgets to signal, gets pulled over
      Asked typical questions, answers pretty easily
      Field sobriety test, does OK
      Breathalyzer... blows .108... arrested
      Car gets towed, heads to county police station, hangs out with real low lifes (wife beaters, drug dealers, car thieves, etc.) while waiting to get your picture taken
      Parents have to drive 2 hours to pick your ass up and pay the fees to get your car out of impound
      Parents embarrassed... your embarassed... sucks.
      Pay a grand for an attorney, goto court, get reduced fine and charge, still paying 2-3 grand and it's on your record
      Graduate, a year out of paying off fines, think its all over
      Struggle to find a job as it is, now you have to tell everyone you've been convicted of a misdemeanor... most places won't call you back, some tell you they aren't interested in you because of it
      Now you're stuck at home living with mom and dad and no way to pay off your college debt because your cheap ass wouldn't call a taxi to take you home

I think that would make more sense then OMG SO TRASHED LETS GOTO WAWA AND BOOM WE HIT A BUNCH OF BLIND KIDS OH NO!
      2.0T... it's back!

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 CC Silverado (Truck Nuts Free)
      06-10-2013 08:49 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Krazee View Post
      If a zero-tolerance rule was put forth - literally, blow anything over the legal limit, license revoked for a minimum of 5 years - I bet drunk driving comes down. The penalties are not severe enough. Professional athletes and celebrities are paying off the families of those they either kill or injure so charges aren't pressed, multi-millionaires get their lawyers to plead everything down or out. There is no flat, unbiased penalty for it. Beyond license revocation, some sort of mandatory jail sentence should also be imposed, based on the severity of the violation.

And don't give me the "bad judgement" or "one mistake" excuses. I'll admit, I've driven after a couple beers, but I don't plan on it every again. I may trust my own abilities, but if someone else causes an accident, and I'm the one who's had some alcohol, i'm in trouble. And rightly so. There can, and should, always be a DD.
      While I agree, statistics don't show it.

In a 15 State study, over two-thirds of released prisoners were rearrested within three years

Our incarceration rate is high and so is our recidivism rate. Mind you these are total statistics, not DUI.
      That looks nothing like jizz. And i've seen a fair amount of jizz in my time.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      Corrado
      06-10-2013 08:50 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by nfx View Post
      Statistically speaking, it's like something close to 90% of first time offenders never receiver a 2nd DUI... and that's with some pretty lenient first timer laws already. Not saying it's right... but yeah.

To be honest, I remember all of the DARE classes about why drugs are bad and why not to do them, alcohol is bad... don't drink it, don't have unprotected sex, etc... but they didn't really touch on driving under the influence. I didn't take driver's ed, which is where they apparently talk about it, but from what I'm told is that they show you is the WORST CASE SCENARIO... driving completely hammered and smashing into a day care or something. They need to start showing more realistic scenarios so kids can relate better...

Junior in college, goes out to the bar, has 4 or 5 drinks
      Drives home... forgets to signal, gets pulled over
      Asked typical questions, answers pretty easily
      Field sobriety test, does OK
      Breathalyzer... blows .108... arrested
      Car gets towed, heads to county police station, hangs out with real low lifes (wife beaters, drug dealers, car thieves, etc.) while waiting to get your picture taken
      Parents have to drive 2 hours to pick your ass up and pay the fees to get your car out of impound
      Parents embarrassed... your embarassed... sucks.
      Pay a grand for an attorney, goto court, get reduced fine and charge, still paying 2-3 grand and it's on your record
      Graduate, a year out of paying off fines, think its all over
      Struggle to find a job as it is, now you have to tell everyone you've been convicted of a misdemeanor... most places won't call you back, some tell you they aren't interested in you because of it
      Now you're stuck at home living with mom and dad and no way to pay off your college debt because your cheap ass wouldn't call a taxi to take you home

I think that would make more sense then OMG SO TRASHED LETS GOTO WAWA AND BOOM WE HIT A BUNCH OF BLIND KIDS OH NO!
      Not to mention...was it 5th Gear? That did the segment where drivers under the influence of a couple of drinks were more alert than drivers who were sleepy? What the HECK would you run a segment like that? You might as well condone drinking and driving.
      Project Corrado RS: Keep Up
      MSD 12v VR6 coilpack setup/components For Sale: Here
      Other items for sale: Sparco, VR6 HVAC box, VR6 radiators, Mocal Oil Cooler: Here

Vehicles
      Scirocco 16v, A2 ABA, '03 Tyke Hauler GLS, E34 540i
      06-10-2013 09:09 AM #30
      Not to mention...was it 5th Gear? That did the segment where drivers under the influence of a couple of drinks were more alert than drivers who were sleepy? What the HECK would you run a segment like that? You might as well condone drinking and driving.
      It seems to me that would condemn sleepy driving, rather than condone drunk driving.
      The blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad.

06-10-2013 09:30 AM #31
      0:06....did the guy just disappear Harry Potter style?!?!
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

Vehicles
      '12 Challenger RT, '11 CX-7 s Touring
      06-10-2013 09:33 AM #32
      And we have the highest DUI rate in the world. Go figure.
      Citation please.
      I am JIMP.

33. 06-10-2013 09:59 AM #33
      You'd have a hard time demonstrating you were harmed.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      More than I need
      06-10-2013 10:35 AM #34
      22% of all highway fatalities are [supposedly] caused by drivers over the legal limit (NHTSA number). I guess that implys that 78% of all highway fatalities are caused by perfectly sober (by definition) drivers?
      Keep in mind that the 22% alcohol related car accident figure includes situations where a drunk pedestrian might have attempted to cross a street but got run down by a perfectly sober law abiding motorist. Bingo, that's an alcohol related fatality! Would it be fair to say that most statistics these days are written to favor one side or another?
      Want to save lives? Teach people how to drive and how to drink responsibly. Pretty simple stuff. As for all those multiple DUI offenders on the streets endangering our lives, here's an idea. Make the repeat offenders cross the above mentioned 'street' with another multiple offender at the wheel of the oncoming car. Some might make it - but - oh well .
      RB

Vehicles
      MK3 2.0T, 2013 Elantra GT
      06-10-2013 10:37 AM #35
      I think it was MythBusters actually.
      2.0T... it's back!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast