VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Anyone successfully sell a Maestro ECU/Cable?

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  zeusenergy 
#1 ·
It's been so long since I've used Maestro as my car's been down for over a year. Anyone part their ECU with it tied to their VIN #?? Seems ridiculous that I spend full retail price for this thing and it's not worth more than $300 on an ECU if the buyer has to fork out $500 to transfer the license to them.

#3 ·
I just bought a used Maestro cable that had been used in a 1.8t Corrado swap. It wasn't VIN locked but it was ecu locked.

IF it's vin locked (if it's not a swap into an older car it's vin locked) the buyer has to buy Credits. I think it's ~$400 in credits so there's no real way to sell a vin locked maestro cable and make any money back.

#4 ·
So vin locked= cannot be used in another car without buying credits?

Im trying to understand how i can get around this now :)
I have the ability to swap over all the modules from on car to the other if it makes a difference.
How does the ecu being vin locked matter if the car starts and runs and flashes properly?

#5 ·
there is no way maestro knows what "chassis" you are using. im pretty sure it gets the vin from the ecu/cluster, and locks to those.

if maestro was used in an old car, it probably will lock with the ecu only and not the cluster ("dumb cluster"). thus why you were only tied to the ecu in the coraddo.

thats at least how it was back when i bought and sold maestro.

#7 ·
How did this work out for you? Selling mine now, have ECU, maestro cable, cluster and key pill- but only for beetle. ECU works in MK4 chassis, so can it be sold to a golf owner? Without pill/cluster?

#11 ·
Sounds like I have to split the parts up if I want to sell anything quick. And thanks for responding, really appreciate the help!:thumbup:

#12 ·
just sold the whole thing! Like you did. Thanks!:beer::thumbup:

#14 ·
yeah but then the Maestro will be wrong for the cluster. it won't work if its locked to the car like previously mentioned. Got response from Eurodyne myself about this. Sold the system complete with key pill and cluster anyway! :beer:
Thanks for the response!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.