Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Removing 2.0T TSI Fuel Injectors

Vehicles
      2008 Passat Komfort 2.0TSI (APR Tune), 2011 Touareg VR6 Lux, 02 Pasat GLS, 00 Jetta GLS 2.0, 04 GLI
      06-13-2013 08:58 AM #1
      I have done some searching and not found any posts on removing 2.0T TSI fuel injectors, can someone give me an idea of what is required?

I have a misfire in cylinder #1 that after replacing all coil packs and plugs is still there, with 91K on the odometer I am thinking bad fuel injector and want to take all (4) out and send to this place for cleaning http://www.mrinjector.us/

My brother sent his Subaru injectors there and they did a great job, send injectors back with a before and after flow report, anybody else use Mr Injector?
      Last edited by rcprato; 06-13-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Vehicles
      1996 BMW 328i, 2008 Passat Komfort Wagon, 2008 BMW 335xi, 2011 BMW 335d
      06-13-2013 01:18 PM #2
      I'm no expert, but I had the exact same issue you are having, and at around 90k with my 2008 TSI. I also replaced coils and plugs to no avail. I though it was the injector, had them checked and they were ok. I should also mention that on startup I was getting a flashing check engine light. I would turn the car off then on again and it wouldn't happen. Initial startup was also a bit rough as well. Not sure if you are experiencing any of these other symptons as well, but just a heads up it could need a carbon cleaning to resolve your issue.

In my case, the tech tried walnut blasting it first, didn't do anything. So he had to take it apart and clean the intake valves by hand. I had the chance to look inside when I was there, and it was nasty. Tech said it was the second most buildup he's ever seen, and he said he had done about 50 cars. It is not a cheap job unfortunately. If you are comfortable working on your car, you could do it yourself, but messing the job up could be fatal to your engine.

Hopefully it's just the injector, good luck!

Vehicles
      2006 VW BT Passat
      06-13-2013 08:12 PM #3
      At 91k with no valve cleaning id look into that before i planned on sending injectors out.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
      Unitronic Stage III w/ PT5558BB Turbo Unitronic.ca, IE HPFP, 3in B&B TBE, BSH throttle pipe/27mm RSB/Endlinks , Forge 007 DV , RalcoRC/Forge SS, 42Draft Design CNC Shifter bushings, BFI stage 2 motor/tranny mounts, 034 Dogbone, KW V2 coilovers, Nuespeed 25mm FSB, Whiteline Anti-lift kit/Front control arm bushings, 18x8.5 VMR VB3s, JBL stereo, CTS Turbo 2.0t FSI Big turbo kit!

Vehicles
      2008 Passat Komfort 2.0TSI (APR Tune), 2011 Touareg VR6 Lux, 02 Pasat GLS, 00 Jetta GLS 2.0, 04 GLI
      06-14-2013 08:53 AM #4
      Seems to be a common problem on the 2.0T engines with this mileage, I will look into the valve cleaning.

Vehicles
      06-18-2013 09:07 AM #5
      UPDATE:
      Took car to dealership yesterday and it appears to be the dreaded carbon build up especially bad in cylinder #1 and also getting a Fuel Pressure Sensor fault that the technician thinks is the #1 fuel injector leaking.

Of all the VW's and other cars I have owned over the last 35+ years this is the first time I have experienced this, my 2004 1.8T has 160K and runs smooth as silk on original injectors, what is so different about the 2.0T TSI engine to get this carbon build up at 90K ?

This is a job I decided not to take on, dealership gave me a decent price for doing the work and provided a brand new Passat for me to drive until my car is done so sometimes I need to throw them a bone.

Is it important to run some sort of fuel system cleaner every 5K or so to keep this from happening?

Vehicles
      06-18-2013 12:25 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by rcprato View Post
      UPDATE:
      Took car to dealership yesterday and it appears to be the dreaded carbon build up especially bad in cylinder #1 and also getting a Fuel Pressure Sensor fault that the technician thinks is the #1 fuel injector leaking.

Of all the VW's and other cars I have owned over the last 35+ years this is the first time I have experienced this, my 2004 1.8T has 160K and runs smooth as silk on original injectors, what is so different about the 2.0T TSI engine to get this carbon build up at 90K ?

This is a job I decided not to take on, dealership gave me a decent price for doing the work and provided a brand new Passat for me to drive until my car is done so sometimes I need to throw them a bone.

Is it important to run some sort of fuel system cleaner every 5K or so to keep this from happening?
      Unfortunately it is a design flaw in the 2.0T engine. VW decided to put the injectors underneath the valves as opposed to on top, therefore the fuel going into the engine never circulates above the valve, cause the buildup. Almost every other engine has them up top so the fuel mixes in and the additives keep the valves clean. Huge mistake that not too many people know about until you have to spend the money to clean it every 60 - 90k.

Unfortunately fuel system cleaner is not going to help much because of the above.

And I hear your pain, I've had 2 waterpumps, hpfp and sender unit, carbon cleaning, new battery all in the last 6 months. And now I am trying to fix high oil temps after the dealer said it is operating normally. On a side note, I have been driving my wagon ALOT (daily to work and then some), so now I'm driving my old BMW to work, and keeping the miles off the Wagon. When the old BMW goes, getting a commuter car.

Vehicles
      06-18-2013 04:33 PM #7
      Thanks for update, so it looks like this then?
      http://s758.photobucket.com/user/ste...tml?sort=3&o=1
      If only air is passing through the intake valves where does the carbon build up come from?

Vehicles
      06-18-2013 04:50 PM #8
      If only air is passing through the intake valves where does the carbon build up come from?
      Yeah it looked like that, although mine had quite a bit more buildup. All that gunk around the outside of the valves was all caked up in mine.

Here is info I found on carbon build up:

When fuel burns, it leaves behind deposits that stick to the combustion chamber, valves and top of the piston. How quickly the deposits accumulate depends on the type of driving done and the quality of the fuel burned. Carbon deposits gradually accumulate in a new engine for the first 5,000 to 15,000 miles, then level off. A state of equilibrium is reached where old deposits flake off at about the same rate as new deposits are formed.

However, infrequent driving, infrequent oil changes or internal engine problems such as worn valve guides, or worn, broken or improperly seated rings that allow oil burning can greatly accelerate the accumulation of deposits. This may cause the carbon deposits to reach a much greater than normal thickness, which in turn raises compression and causes spark knock or detonation problems. The deposits may even build up to the point where they cause physical contact between the piston and head. This, too, can make noise as well as be very damaging to your engine.

Getting Rid Of Deposits
      To get rid of the deposits, pour a can of "top cleaner" down the carburetor while the engine is idling (follow the directions). Allow the chemical to soak for the recommended period of time, then restart the engine to blow out the loosened deposits. An oil change afterwards is recommended because some of the solvent will leak down into the crankcase and dilute the oil.

If chemical cleaning fails to do the trick, it may be necessary to pull the head and scrape the deposits off. Some shops also have equipment that allows them to blast deposits loose by blowing a "soft" blasting media such as crushed walnut shells into the combustion chamber through the spark plug hole.

Vehicles
      2006 VW BT Passat
      06-18-2013 10:19 PM #9
      its mainly from the oil vapor, the FSI and TSI motors dont hve the best pcv system, all motors have the oil vapor but the port injection motors have the fuel to help clean them where there is nothing to help us.

A catch can will help reduce the carbon build up on the TSI minimally, it really only prolongs the manual valve cleaning
      Unitronic Stage III w/ PT5558BB Turbo Unitronic.ca, IE HPFP, 3in B&B TBE, BSH throttle pipe/27mm RSB/Endlinks , Forge 007 DV , RalcoRC/Forge SS, 42Draft Design CNC Shifter bushings, BFI stage 2 motor/tranny mounts, 034 Dogbone, KW V2 coilovers, Nuespeed 25mm FSB, Whiteline Anti-lift kit/Front control arm bushings, 18x8.5 VMR VB3s, JBL stereo, CTS Turbo 2.0t FSI Big turbo kit!

Vehicles
      06-19-2013 09:19 AM #10
      Looks like a no win situation then, the German engineers let us down on this one.......

You would have to induce some sort of cleaner while car is running through the air intake every 5K miles or so in hopes to minimize this carbon build up, anyone done this and if so how?

Picked up car after work yesterday from Dealership and runs great, smoother than it has for a while now.

Unfortunately this morning when I started the car the MIL started flashing 6 to 8 times and then went off, after about 1 mile it came back on and stayed on so straight back to the dealership I went.

There were (2) fault codes when car went in to have carbon build up cleaned, misfire cylinder #1 and Fuel Pressure Sensor. Tech thought #1 fuel injector was leaking so he replaced because everything else seemed to check out.

Waiting to hear back on reason MIL is on today but if it is Fuel Pressure Sensor maybe I did not need the $168 fuel injector and it is something else causing that fault.

Vehicles
      06-19-2013 10:32 AM #11
      UPDATE:
      Dealership just called and said the MIL is indicating misfires in cylinder #2 and #4 now, feel it is a bad HPFP at about $425 for parts and an hour labor.

I asked if it could be the injectors but tech feels it is low pressure caused by bad pump, any thoughts?

I have had no problems with this car until now, is this the beginning of a rocky road to keep this 2.0T TSI engine running?

Vehicles
      06-19-2013 12:21 PM #12
      UPDATE:
      Dealership just called and said the MIL is indicating misfires in cylinder #2 and #4 now, feel it is a bad HPFP at about $425 for parts and an hour labor.

I asked if it could be the injectors but tech feels it is low pressure caused by bad pump, any thoughts?

I have had no problems with this car until now, is this the beginning of a rocky road to keep this 2.0T TSI engine running?
      This exact symptom happened to me, although before the carbon cleaning. HPFP was replaced first. Still had the same symptoms, so sender unit was replaced and the dealer did not charge me. If the symptoms still persist after the HPFP is replaced, then it's the sender unit.

It may be worth seeing how much the sender unit work is before replacing the HPFP, if it is cheaper I might go that route first. Only reason I say this is because in my situation I think the dealer might have been wrong so that's why they didn't charge me for the sender unit or install. And because of this it makes me think the sender unit and labor is cheaper than the HPFP.

But if replacing the sender unit doesn't solve it, then you'll have to replace the HPFP as well. Just a heads up.

Vehicles
      06-19-2013 01:59 PM #13
      The sending unit in the gas tank is less expensive than the HPFP, the HPFP was really hot to the touch last weekend when I was looking under the hood when moving coil packs around to see if misfire moved with a coil pack so I may need both but will start with HPFP first.

Sounds like our cars are having a very similar issue, I am sure VW is aware of this and it's too bad they don't extend warranty to cover these parts that usually last longer than 90K.

Vehicles
      06-19-2013 02:23 PM #14
      The sending unit in the gas tank is less expensive than the HPFP, the HPFP was really hot to the touch last weekend when I was looking under the hood when moving coil packs around to see if misfire moved with a coil pack so I may need both but will start with HPFP first.

Sounds like our cars are having a very similar issue, I am sure VW is aware of this and it's too bad they don't extend warranty to cover these parts that usually last longer than 90K.
      I've called VW 5 times, first time because I was just out of CPO warranty for the waterpump. I thought maybe they would help me out since I've owned a total of 6 VWs in the past 10 years, but no, I was out of warranty. Then the HPFP and sender unit thing happened, called VW twice with no luck. Then again for the carbon cleaning, because I thought for sure they would help because there was never any disclosure that this was a required preventative maintenance item. VW had the nerve to tell me that it is a maintenance item. Then the second waterpump blew and I was just out of the 12k/1 year warranty. Called VW and they just didn't give a damn. The only people who cared was the dealer, they gave me discounted labor and parts at cost to help me get the car back on the road.

You should still call and see what they say. At the very least it will be on their record (if that even means anything). I've pretty much given up and am certain that I will not buy a VW anymore. Brand loyalty doesn't mean anything to them, and they're never going to admit this fault in the engine because there are way too many of them on the road. It's too bad too, there is nothing on the road like the Passat Wagon.
      Last edited by GLISNC; 06-19-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Vehicles
      06-19-2013 04:24 PM #15
      Thanks again for the info, Dorschel VW here in Rochester has also worked with me on cost of parts and labor but over $1,200 out of pocket in two days is not fun for anyone. Spent $800 a month ago on a new set of Michelins all the way around.

I may call VWOA to get on the record but service manager pretty much said same thing as you, they won't acknowledge because of all the cars on the road this effects and if it's not a safety issue they don't have to worry about it. I consider maintenance items things like tires, plugs, coil packs, brakes and other stuff like this, not intake valve cleaning and HPFP going bad at 90K.

I have been driving VW's for 30 years and thoroughly enjoy driving this car, have taken trips and spent 10+ hours a day driving and don't mind one bit, it's a driver's car for sure! We own 3 Passats and a Jetta currently, this is newest one with least miles and the others have never had these type of problems.

Have you changed fluid in transmission?

Vehicles
      2006 VW BT Passat
      06-19-2013 05:15 PM #16
      Looks like a no win situation then, the German engineers let us down on this one.......

You would have to induce some sort of cleaner while car is running through the air intake every 5K miles or so in hopes to minimize this carbon build up, anyone done this and if so how?

Picked up car after work yesterday from Dealership and runs great, smoother than it has for a while now.

Unfortunately this morning when I started the car the MIL started flashing 6 to 8 times and then went off, after about 1 mile it came back on and stayed on so straight back to the dealership I went.

There were (2) fault codes when car went in to have carbon build up cleaned, misfire cylinder #1 and Fuel Pressure Sensor. Tech thought #1 fuel injector was leaking so he replaced because everything else seemed to check out.

Waiting to hear back on reason MIL is on today but if it is Fuel Pressure Sensor maybe I did not need the $168 fuel injector and it is something else causing that fault.
      it has nothing to do with german engineering it is a problem all direct injection motors have.

Vehicles
      06-20-2013 10:39 AM #17
      OK, I'll take back what I said cause I have always favored German cars.

I ran across this, seems it may make sense to do something like this as PM for the carbon build up issue. Any thoughts?

Using GM Top Engine Cleaner

The basis for cleaning the top end of your engine is pretty simple. The EGR system recirculates exhaust gases which deposit carbon all over your intake manifolds and the intake port on the heads. The backside of the intake valve is also a concern as the carbon not only attracts the fuel, but also changes/lowers your airflow. Efficiency and horsepower are lost over time.

To use the GM top end cleaner, you can use either the spray or the liquid, though I prefer the liquid.

First, start in a well ventilated area. This is going to cause quite a smoke show

Let the engine idle to warm up, or if already warm, let it sit for a minute or 2 at idle to heat up the entire engine. Then, using a smaller vacuum line, like the one going to the fuel pressure regulator, stock a vacuum line into the bottle of cleaner. You will need to hold the throttle open a little more so the engine doesn't die. You need almost all of the can to go through the engine. Before its completely gone, either close the throttle and hope the engine stops as well, or have someone else turn the key off. Reconnect the vacuum line to whatever you took it off of and let the engine sit for 10 minutes.

Starting the car/truck after 10 minutes is going to be difficult. It will probably turn over a bit before it ever catches, and then it will probably run a little rough. You need to rev it up a little and get it so it will idle. Then, after its ok for idle, you need to drive around to clean it all out. This will cause a lot of smoke still so hopefully you can do this somewhere without too much traffic. Varying the throttle and increasing the max % of throttle over time (say a couple minutes) will eventually get it all cleaned out and running better.

There are other methods to this so if you would like to add anything please leave a comment.

Vehicles
      2006 VW BT Passat
      06-20-2013 03:15 PM #18
      That is essentially the same thing as a seafoam treatment, it doesn't work to remove the carbon. The only way to remove everything is to manually clean the valves.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Vehicles
      06-28-2013 12:24 PM #19
      The B6 is back at Dealership for 4th time, MIL on with two codes.

Lean Bank 1
      Fuel Pressure Sensor

The Fuel Pressure Sensor was addressed two visits ago by replacing HPFP which cost me $460, looks not to be cause of that problem so will be interesting what they think it is now.

Lean Bank 1 came on day after the HPFP was replaced, put a can of injector cleaner in the tank hoping to get better flow from the (3) injectors not replaced when the cleaned the intake chambers on first visit to dealership.

Gas mileage is off also, took a 3.5 hour trip down I90 and MFA never got above 25.5 Avg. MPG, usually climbs quickly towards 30MPG when cruising the Interstate.

Frustrating that I have paid dealership to address this problem and starting to feel that they are just replacing parts not really knowing exactly what is wrong, I can do that I don't have to pay myself $90 and hour Labor Rate.

Vehicles
      06-28-2013 01:40 PM #20
      The B6 is back at Dealership for 4th time, MIL on with two codes.

Lean Bank 1
      Fuel Pressure Sensor

The Fuel Pressure Sensor was addressed two visits ago by replacing HPFP which cost me $460, looks not to be cause of that problem so will be interesting what they think it is now.

Lean Bank 1 came on day after the HPFP was replaced, put a can of injector cleaner in the tank hoping to get better flow from the (3) injectors not replaced when the cleaned the intake chambers on first visit to dealership.

Gas mileage is off also, took a 3.5 hour trip down I90 and MFA never got above 25.5 Avg. MPG, usually climbs quickly towards 30MPG when cruising the Interstate.

Frustrating that I have paid dealership to address this problem and starting to feel that they are just replacing parts not really knowing exactly what is wrong, I can do that I don't have to pay myself $90 and hour Labor Rate.
      Did you have the fuel sender unit (I think its the one in the back) replaced? That is probably what the dealer is going to tell you to replace next.

I know exactly how frustrated you are. Especially now that I see someone else besides me that has had almost the exact symptoms/codes etc that I had. Approximately the cost of an APR Stage 3+ turbo kit later I had most of the issues resolved. But now I am dealing with higher than normal oil temps.

Vehicles
      06-28-2013 02:40 PM #21
      Do you have an oil temp gauge?

Sounds like that is in my future?

Vehicles
      06-28-2013 02:55 PM #22
      Do you have an oil temp gauge?

Sounds like that is in my future?
      Not sure if high oil temps is a result of all this. It could have been happening all along, it's just that I didn't know until about 70k miles when I installed my Fiscon BT module which has a real-time digital readout of oil temp (as well as some other stuff).

Could all the stuff I've had to address fail because of high oil temps? Not sure, but based on the readings I get on a daily basis, I'm definitely wearing the engine out a bit more than normal. I'm going into 034 Motorsports in 2 weeks for my 100k service and to see if they can find anything that the dealer may have missed. If they don't see anything wrong, then I'm installing an aftermarket oil cooler.

Vehicles
      06-28-2013 03:13 PM #23
      Please report back any updates, would be appreciated.

Vehicles
      07-02-2013 12:56 PM #24
      The MIL is back on, VAGCOM giving me same two faults as before.

Lean Bank 1
      Fuel Pressure Sensor

This will be trip #5 back to the dealership and 3rd time for these two fault codes.

The Lean Bank 1 did not start until after the intake valves were cleaned.

Unfortunately they don't really seem to know exactly what is going on, so far HPFP and Fuel Pressure Sensor have been replaced in "hopes" it would fix problem and no luck.

Vehicles
      07-02-2013 02:04 PM #25
      Please report back any updates, would be appreciated.
      Will do

The MIL is back on, VAGCOM giving me same two faults as before.

Lean Bank 1
      Fuel Pressure Sensor

This will be trip #5 back to the dealership and 3rd time for these two fault codes.

The Lean Bank 1 did not start until after the intake valves were cleaned.

Unfortunately they don't really seem to know exactly what is going on, so far HPFP and Fuel Pressure Sensor have been replaced in "hopes" it would fix problem and no luck.
      I'm thinking the dealer is going to tell you to replace the fuel sender unit next. If the dealer is really scratching their head on this one, PM me and I can give you my info and your dealer can contact mine, maybe that'll help.

Vehicles
      07-18-2013 02:25 PM #26
      GLISNC you were right on the money, Passat went back into shop on Tuesday and they started going through the fuel system again and determined that the fuel rail would loose pressure over time when sitting and tech put a pressure gauge on the line that goes back to the fuel sender unit and that is where leak down is happening. Originally they thought I had more bad injectors leaking down. If he kept valve on side of gauge going back to fuel sender unit closed, the fuel rail held pressure perfectly over night.
      The dealer has had the car for two days but provided a brand new Jetta to me to drive, keeping one more night after replacing fuel sending unit in tank and going to retest everything again tomorrow morning and not charging me for this last round of work so hopefully this is the end of this problem.

Vehicles
      07-18-2013 08:00 PM #27
      GLISNC you were right on the money, Passat went back into shop on Tuesday and they started going through the fuel system again and determined that the fuel rail would loose pressure over time when sitting and tech put a pressure gauge on the line that goes back to the fuel sender unit and that is where leak down is happening. Originally they thought I had more bad injectors leaking down. If he kept valve on side of gauge going back to fuel sender unit closed, the fuel rail held pressure perfectly over night.
      The dealer has had the car for two days but provided a brand new Jetta to me to drive, keeping one more night after replacing fuel sending unit in tank and going to retest everything again tomorrow morning and not charging me for this last round of work so hopefully this is the end of this problem.
      That's good they pinpointed where the leak is. You should be good to go after this. My ride (besides the oil temp issue) hasn't experienced any other issues related to fueling since those parts were replaced.

As I stated above, the only thing I have to resolve is the high oil temps, but after taking it in to 034 Motorsports, it seems as though a check valve in the PCV system failed (and I have a torn left CV boot). So going back to 034 to get their catch can/PCV system installed and fixing the CV boot. Not sure if the PCV/catch can will help with oil temps but maybe fixing the check valve thingy might help. If that doesn't fix it, I'm going with 034 Motorsports oil cooler they use in their track cars. Then maybe even Water/meth kit to help slow down the carbon buildup.

I hope this is the last of major stuff to fix for you! It's frustrating knowing that the money you spend fixing could have gone to upgrading or elsewhere.