Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: OEM MK4 shocks....slow shaft rebound

1. Member
      06-15-2013 12:45 AM #1
      Hey everybody, I picked up a set of 04 TDI sport shocks and springs for my car and I was planning on installing them soon but I noticed the shocks are acting up a bit different then I am used to.

The front shocks, I can put the shaft down and it stays down and doesn't come up much at all.

The rear shocks, the shaft rebounds much slower but can be seen moving.

Is this common for OEM Volkswagen strut/shocks? To my knowledge from my past Honda history, that would indicate a blown shock if the shaft doesn't rebound much.

Any feedback is appreciated

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta Vr6
      06-15-2013 02:25 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by mugen85r View Post
      Hey everybody, I picked up a set of 04 TDI sport shocks and springs for my car and I was planning on installing them soon but I noticed the shocks are acting up a bit different then I am used to.

The front shocks, I can put the shaft down and it stays down and doesn't come up much at all.

The rear shocks, the shaft rebounds much slower but can be seen moving.

Is this common for OEM Volkswagen strut/shocks? To my knowledge from my past Honda history, that would indicate a blown shock if the shaft doesn't rebound much.

Any feedback is appreciated
      Most Vw's are heavier than most Honda's. If the rebound WAS easy, then you'd be in for a bouncy ride. The upward stroke of decompression is also dampened in these shocks, to compensate for a heavier car, to reduce bounciness.
      VrAlliance #240 | My Thread | Resident Tire Expert
      Quote Originally Posted by Bierce IV View Post
      Thinking about jb welding two cars together since it seems like to cool thing to do now.