Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Brake Pedal Return is Noisy

06-19-2013 11:04 PM #1
      When I let go of brake pedal, it's making a thumping noise while the pedal is returned to the pedal stop. Anyone has solution for this?

Vehicles
      2013 GLI DSG
      06-20-2013 06:58 AM #2
      Stop using the brakes.

No, really though, I have the same knocking sound from the pedal when it returns. I'd be hesitant to mess with the pedal to fix the sound though. I've just learned to not pull my foot completely off of it right away, just ease it to the stop.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 GLI Autobahn + Nav + DSG
      06-20-2013 11:20 AM #3
      My brake pedal sticks a bit when I lift my foot. After braking, I take my foot of the brake, and it takes just a bit more to come up, and then I hear a thumping noise when the pedal returns to the top. Is that pedal feel normal? Is it a DSG thing? because my 6 speed GTI mk6 did do that with the brake pedal, the pedal on my GTI felt like better connected (don't know how to explain it) I felt I got more feedback from my GTI brakes than what I get on the GLI IDK

06-20-2013 07:53 PM #4
      I am going to put spongy insulation take (about 1/8 inch thick) to cushion the contact when pedal comes up to the pedal stop. Will advise of the result.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 GLI Autobahn
      06-20-2013 11:32 PM #5
      You know, guys, these are cars... they have a lot of moving parts... moving parts make noise. I've never in my life heard of someone modifying their brake pedal to make it quieter. I'm not sure what to make of that.

Anyway, the real reason I'm responding is to tell you that the "sticky" pedal on a manual / DSG is the hill hold assist which keeps the brakes applied until the clutch engages. There's another feature which will apply the brakes harder if you press the pedal quickly. I haven't paid much attention to the latter but I imagine when it's triggered it causes some strange sensations much like ABS. Both can be disabled using VCDS.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      06-21-2013 08:58 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
      You know, guys, these are cars... they have a lot of moving parts... moving parts make noise. I've never in my life heard of someone modifying their brake pedal to make it quieter. I'm not sure what to make of that.

Anyway, the real reason I'm responding is to tell you that the "sticky" pedal on a manual / DSG is the hill hold assist which keeps the brakes applied until the clutch engages. There's another feature which will apply the brakes harder if you press the pedal quickly. I haven't paid much attention to the latter but I imagine when it's triggered it causes some strange sensations much like ABS. Both can be disabled using VCDS.
      My 6 speed mk6 GTI had "hill hold" and the pedal didn't feel this mushy and slow to come back up, that is my only concern, I could care less about the tapping noise at the end of the pedal travel.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 GLI Autobahn
      06-21-2013 10:28 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by nicolasl46 View Post
      My 6 speed mk6 GTI had "hill hold" and the pedal didn't feel this mushy and slow to come back up, that is my only concern, I could care less about the tapping noise at the end of the pedal travel.
      Your post says your GTI did feel like that. I guess you meant it didn't.

Having never driven a MkVI GTI, I can't help you there, but I have no complaints about my brakes. If you suspect there's actually a problem you should probably test drive another GLI and see if it feels similar (keeping in mind that with new pads it's going to be a little different).

8. Member
      Vehicles
      06-21-2013 12:49 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
      Your post says your GTI did feel like that. I guess you meant it didn't.

Having never driven a MkVI GTI, I can't help you there, but I have no complaints about my brakes. If you suspect there's actually a problem you should probably test drive another GLI and see if it feels similar (keeping in mind that with new pads it's going to be a little different).
      Just saw my previous post, I meant to say that my GTI brakes didn't feel like that I figure I should mention it to the dealer when I bring the car in, just thought I could ask here to see if I'm not the only one. Thanks