VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Brake Pedal Return is Noisy

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  nicolasl46 
#1 ·
When I let go of brake pedal, it's making a thumping noise while the pedal is returned to the pedal stop. Anyone has solution for this?

#2 ·
Stop using the brakes. :D

No, really though, I have the same knocking sound from the pedal when it returns. I'd be hesitant to mess with the pedal to fix the sound though. I've just learned to not pull my foot completely off of it right away, just ease it to the stop.

#3 ·
My brake pedal sticks a bit when I lift my foot. After braking, I take my foot of the brake, and it takes just a bit more to come up, and then I hear a thumping noise when the pedal returns to the top. Is that pedal feel normal? Is it a DSG thing? because my 6 speed GTI mk6 did do that with the brake pedal, the pedal on my GTI felt like better connected (don't know how to explain it) I felt I got more feedback from my GTI brakes than what I get on the GLI IDK :screwy:

#4 ·
I am going to put spongy insulation take (about 1/8 inch thick) to cushion the contact when pedal comes up to the pedal stop. Will advise of the result.

#5 ·
You know, guys, these are cars... they have a lot of moving parts... moving parts make noise. I've never in my life heard of someone modifying their brake pedal to make it quieter. I'm not sure what to make of that.

Anyway, the real reason I'm responding is to tell you that the "sticky" pedal on a manual / DSG is the hill hold assist which keeps the brakes applied until the clutch engages. There's another feature which will apply the brakes harder if you press the pedal quickly. I haven't paid much attention to the latter but I imagine when it's triggered it causes some strange sensations much like ABS. Both can be disabled using VCDS.

#6 ·
My 6 speed mk6 GTI had "hill hold" and the pedal didn't feel this mushy and slow to come back up, that is my only concern, I could care less about the tapping noise at the end of the pedal travel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.