Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Geico is telling me my car is totalled-What can I do?

Vehicles
      emkaytree 2.turbo, '84 rabbit project
      06-24-2013 08:27 PM #1
      On June 19 I was hit while waiting at a red light in my '95 emkaytree jetta. I exchanged information with the guy and we went on our merry way. The next day I realized the damage was worse than I thought so I called the guy up who hit me, and got an estimate that he couldn't afford so he called his insurance. Long story short, Geico claims 100% liability for the accident, and I took the car in to get looked at by an adjuster. They're telling me that both rear quarter panels are damaged, as well as both rear doors, and the rear bumper. Apparently, they need to check the value of the car, because the damage is estimated at ~$2200, which is very close to what the car is worth according to them.

Only problem is although a regular 1995 VW Jetta GL with no options is worth $2200 my car has:

Completely rebuilt engine now at 14k miles
      ATP Stage 2 Turbo kit
      FMIC
      C2 motorsports software
      VR6 MAF
      #42 injectors
      260 camshaft
      Polished upper and lower intake manifold
      Walboro 255 fuel pump
      Innovative Motorsports lc1 wideband
      Whole body stripped of rust and repainted Flash Red(LP3G)
      020 tranny with 84k miles
      TT short shift kit
      lightweight flywheel
      Spec stage 2 clutch
      TT full stainless style exhaust
      Smoked e-codes, dummies, and tails
      Weitec coilovers and all new rubber suspension parts
      Front and rear sway and stress bars
      MK4 rear disc conversion
      cross drilled and slotted rotors
      Mini cooper 7 spoke wheels painted white
      BFGoodrich G-Force tires
      And a whole bunch of other $hit

If they total the car I will get a check for $2200, and lose five times that in parts and work. Not to mention, I spent 2 years saving up for the car, and 4 years getting a hard on thinking about it. I feel like, because I'm just an 18 year old kid they feel like they can get away with screwing me over. On the other hand, if I don't let them total it I get a car back with a destroyed rear end. I just want my car back in the state it was in before I was hit by some moron while I was doing exactly what I should've been doing according to the law. What can I do to not get screwed over by Geico?

Here's the car:
      [IMG][/IMG]
      Whenever i see another VW I follow them home, wait untill they are asleep, sneak in, lay next to them and wake them up while tounging their ear and whisper I have a VW too.

Then I rape them then leave.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      06-24-2013 08:30 PM #2
      Let them total it, buy it back and part out the car.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

3. Senior Member
      06-24-2013 08:31 PM #3
      Beat the **** outta that little lizard
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

James May claims that he knows when he is driving a car with character and panache because a fizzing sensation engulfs the root of his penis. -Clarkson

Vehicles
      VW
      06-24-2013 08:31 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      Thread.

Buy another mk3 and swap the parts. Simple
      "Your pants too tight,your wheels too bright"

Vehicles
      '11 MBZ C300 4MAT, '00 S4, '99 A4 2.8QM
      06-24-2013 08:31 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      This is sound advice.
      Signature blank...

6. Member
      Vehicles
      05 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT - 2000 AP1
      06-24-2013 08:32 PM #6
      Take the check, buy the car back, swap everything into a new shell.

You may be able to get more out of them if you have receipts for the upkeep/maintenance that you performed on the car.

Sucks that you lose all of that labor you put into it, though.

Either way... good luck!

Vehicles
      13 Civic SI, 04 R32
      06-24-2013 08:32 PM #7
      sorry to hear that.

take the 2200 check, buy the car back for 500. fix it at a cheapo shop call it the day. Geico will no pay for mods.

sucks car turned into salvage.

8. Member
      06-24-2013 08:33 PM #8
      Modifications, unless you've made prior arrangements with an insurance company regarding your vehicle's value, do not add value to your vehicle. Geico isn't trying to screw you over, they're simply giving you the fair market value for your car. And quite frankly, $2200 for that car is generous.

Either,

1) Take the money, and then buy the car back from salvage and strip the parts after Geico sends it off to the salvage yard,

OR

2) Don't take the money, and fix the car yourself out of pocket.

Vehicles
      06 odyssey (wifes), pair of adidas (mine)
      06-24-2013 08:35 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      Thread.

Buy another mk3 and swap the parts. Simple

They don't care what you have done to it. if you don't have those mods listed on your policy it wont matter. I have been down this road numerous times. Take the money, buy it back, and start over. you will come out ahead that way

Vehicles
      06-24-2013 08:36 PM #10
      Just to make it clear this is not my insurance this is the insurance from the idiot that hit me while we were waiting in line at a red light. He was completely stopped then hit the gas hard instead of the brake pedal Shouldn't they have be responsible for returning the car to the way it was?
      It's not like I hit something while I was drunk and am all pissed that my insurance won't fix my car.
      It has nothing to do with what I have listed on my policy this is not my insurance.
      Whenever i see another VW I follow them home, wait untill they are asleep, sneak in, lay next to them and wake them up while tounging their ear and whisper I have a VW too.

11. 06-24-2013 08:38 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by tg442 View Post
      I feel like, because I'm just an 18 year old kid they feel like they can get away with screwing me over.
      I don't really see how they are screwing you over. You pay premiums on the car according to what its value is. Did you record what you did to the car and inform your insurance company of its modifications? If not, you should have. But more to the point, throwing a bunch of after market parts on an old car often makes it worth less not more on the open market. The only thing you could really do is keep your receipts for the work done and parts installed, and if those parts were destroyed in the crash, claim it has a higher value than a standard car. But then you should have been paying higher premiums which presumably you haven't been. You can probably take most of those parts off the car and sell them or reuse them. But I don't think you can expect to pay premium X for a car worth Y when its really worth considerably more. Insurance doesn't work that way. Good luck.

12. 06-24-2013 08:38 PM #12
      I feel like, because I'm just an 18 year old kid they feel like they can get away with screwing me over.
      No, kid. They'd do this to you if you were 81 years old. The car wasn't insured for its modifications, it was insured for the value of an old Jetta.

Do the buy back after it's totalled.
      call it potatography

13. Member
      06-24-2013 08:39 PM #13
      Shouldn't they have be responsible for returning the car to the way it was?.
      You're referring to a "Make Whole" law, which does not apply to car insurance. The insurance company is only responsible for reimbursing you the declared value of the car. The declared value of the car is its market value, which is approximately $2,200 or thereabouts.

Vehicles
      06-24-2013 08:44 PM #14
      Why does it matter what I was paying for my insurance? This has absolutely nothing to do with my insurance I have all state and geico is dealing with the claim.

TBH though I wouldn't mind buying the car back and parting it out I could make enough to finally get out of a car with 10-15k in parts but still is a 2k car.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      88 Golf VRT, 04 E500 Wagon, 04 E55, 95 E320 Cabriolet
      06-24-2013 08:44 PM #15
      Geico sucks. They pulled a worse one on me. I tapped someone and their customer rear ended me and totaled my car.They said car was already totaled before I got rear ended. I got nothing.

You can

A) Strip all the parts off the car before they pick it up.

B)Buy it back, so guesstimate $2200 value - $700 buy back = $1500 check

C) 1-800-411-PAIN. My neck, my back, my car just got smacked.

16. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-24-2013 08:47 PM #16
      If you had done significant modifications to the vehicle, you should have arranged for agreed-value insurance (and paid appropriately).

I gather you did not--and I assume you have also not had an independent appraisal performed prior to the accident either.

In that case, the best bet might be to ask them if you can have an appraisal performed by a third party (and pay for it). Only issue is it's still going to return a value of a top condition Mk3 2.0 Jetta--which likely won't be much (perhaps $4000 if you're extremely lucky).

Might be enough to keep them from totaling it; might not.

Vehicles
      Miata, Miata
      06-24-2013 08:49 PM #17
      I feel like, because I'm just an 18 year old kid

You sound like an 18 year old baby.

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC R-line, 2012 GLI Autobahn
      06-24-2013 08:51 PM #18
      Forgive me if i'm also missing something here and it's the same thing the op has been trying to say I think. He gets hit by car insurance wants to total it out. basically giving him less than the parts that he has into the car? It wasn't his fault that he got hit, and if they total the car shouldn't be be covered for the modifications by the other insurance company?

If I am missing this part and somehow they aren't liable for this at all where would you look to get your parts covered in the case of being hit such as the op was?
      2010 CC R-line. 5% tint, Euro Clear Corners, VAG-COM windows,ST Coilovers, Led interior lights, Apr Stage 1 Carbonio Intake, R8 Coilpacks, Hoen xeon light and fog
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn- APR Stage 1 Carbonio Intake, Cree DRL, Hoen lights, ST Coilovers,AWE TOP

19. Member
      06-24-2013 08:52 PM #19
      Remember even insurance settlements are a negotiation and the first offer is never the best.

Tell them you'll take the $2200 but you keep your car, $0 buyback.

Vehicles
      06-24-2013 08:53 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by horribleR View Post
      You sound like an 18 year old baby.
      To me I sound like someone who had to work for what they have and takes good care of it so when someone comes and wants to take it away it kind of bothers me.

Vehicles
      1990 Olds Delta 88, 1986 Pontiac Parisienne Safari
      06-24-2013 08:54 PM #21
      Don't listen to any of the above. I've been through this exact situation, and I won. I got a $2300 repair paid on a 1990 Oldsmobile, with no total loss and no salvage title. It took a lot of perseverence though. ("Unyielding" is one of the more polite words that's been used to describe my personality ) The bottom line is, their guy hit YOUR car, so you're in the position of power here. If you don't like their offer, you can sue the other driver in small claims court and GEICO will have to come to his defense. They know that, so they'll do anything within reason to avoid it. If they send you appraisals for your car, and lists of "comparable" cars sold around the country, just keep rejecting them all. Send them all your receipts for repairs and mods, even if they say they don't want them. Overwhelm them with information until they decide it's cheaper to pay than keep dealing with you. This is what I did for four months. At the end of it all, they literally said, "We will cut you a check on the condition that we never hear from you again" PM me if you want even more detail on this. Good luck and do not back down!

-Andrew L
      "The whole economy is hinged on potholes." --Ray Magliozzi
      Hubcap Business and Pontiac Project, both on hold while I finish The House | Philly/NJ highways blog Windshield Time

Vehicles
      1997 blue suede shoe, XJ Cherokee 4.0
      06-24-2013 08:55 PM #22
      Welcome to the real world. You are about to learn that car insurance does not work the way you think it does, and that your 18 year old $2200 VW is just an 18 year old $2200 VW.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      Something something haters something YOLO, etc.
      My work in progress! 1997 Jazz Blue GTI

@Spiller337

23. Member
      06-24-2013 08:56 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by MrRline View Post
      Forgive me if i'm also missing something here and it's the same thing the op has been trying to say I think. He gets hit by car insurance wants to total it out. basically giving him less than the parts that he has into the car? It wasn't his fault that he got hit, and if they total the car shouldn't be be covered for the modifications by the other insurance company?

If I am missing this part and somehow they aren't liable for this at all where would you look to get your parts covered in the case of being hit such as the op was?
      If the OP had had his car appraised before the accident, he would have paper proof of the car's value including his modifications.

For example, if I heavily modify a car, I have it appraised to determine its new value, then I give that to my insurance company so that if they have to pay me for the car, their payment is fair. If someone else hits my car, I can give that agreement I worked out with my insurance, to the other driver's insurance, and then they would now have to pay me what the car is actually worth.

Since the OP had not had his car appraised, he has no way to prove to the insurance company paying him that his car is more than just a 1995 Jetta.

I am not sure if the OP could have his car appraised now that it is wrecked.

OP is probably out of luck.

24. Member
      06-24-2013 08:59 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by rimtrim View Post
      Don't listen to any of the above. I've been through this exact situation, and I won. I got a $2300 repair paid on a 1990 Oldsmobile, with no total loss and no salvage title. It took a lot of perseverence though. ("Unyielding" is one of the more polite words that's been used to describe my personality ) The bottom line is, their guy hit YOUR car, so you're in the position of power here. If you don't like their offer, you can sue the other driver in small claims court and GEICO will have to come to his defense. They know that, so they'll do anything within reason to avoid it. If they send you appraisals for your car, and lists of "comparable" cars sold around the country, just keep rejecting them all. Send them all your receipts for repairs and mods, even if they say they don't want them. Overwhelm them with information until they decide it's cheaper to pay than keep dealing with you. This is what I did for four months. At the end of it all, they literally said, "We will cut you a check on the condition that we never hear from you again" PM me if you want even more detail on this. Good luck and do not back down!

-Andrew L
      FOUR MONTHS???? of negotiation?

Vehicles
      '00 Jetta TDI
      06-24-2013 08:59 PM #25
      I've seen a lot of people claim maintenance items on insurance - such as the cars black book is worth 2k, but they have restored it and done the work themselves, and using the receipts from the parts added to the value of the car ended up being what the car was worth for a payout ...

So instead of saying I have X brand coilovers, say my suspension cost X and here is a receipt for it. Engine work cost X, not "I have this turbo!".

Worth a shot if they want to pay you out..
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      She needs to get an automatic... to train her to stop grabbing sticks.

Vehicles
      SLUG
      06-24-2013 09:01 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by codeblack View Post
      So instead of saying I have X brand coilovers, say my suspension cost X and here is a receipt for it. Engine work cost X, not "I have this turbo!".

Worth a shot if they want to pay you out..
      Try this. Especially if you have receipts for the body work and paint. That, plus all of your mods should add up to a decent amount.

27. 06-24-2013 09:10 PM #27
      OP what state are you from and did you buy your insurance through a agency or online?

28. 06-24-2013 09:12 PM #28
      Why does it matter what I was paying for my insurance? This has absolutely nothing to do with my insurance I have all state and geico is dealing with the claim.

TBH though I wouldn't mind buying the car back and parting it out I could make enough to finally get out of a car with 10-15k in parts but still is a 2k car.

if its your insurance, they'll ignore the stuff you added & insure only the declared amount (stock car).

But since its the other party's, they must consider your car as is (current state before being hit).
      They probably sent you something showing how they came to the value. Review the conditions & options. If your stuff isn't listed, they need to add it. Make sure the conditions reflect accurately your car's condition. Make sure the comparables do exist (cold call). Once they make these changes, decide if you want to buy it back.

Finally, If you were rear ended, I'd make some mention of physical pain & doctor visits.

Vehicles
      06-24-2013 09:12 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by not SoQuick View Post
      OP what state are you from and did you buy your insurance through a agency or online?
      Im in New York State, and I don't know why you are asking where I got my insurance from since this isn't filed through my insurance that question is completely irrelevant.

30. 06-24-2013 09:12 PM #30

if its your insurance, they'll ignore the stuff you added & insure only the declared amount (stock car).

But since its the other party's, they must consider your car as is (current state before being hit).
      They probably sent you something showing how they came to the value. Review the conditions & options. If your stuff isn't listed, they need to add it. Make sure the conditions reflect accurately your car's condition. Make sure the comparables do exist (cold call). Once they make these changes, decide if you want to buy it back.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Gallardo Spyder, 2001 Miata LS, 2006 Corvette-Sold, 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (RIP)
      06-24-2013 09:17 PM #31
      Although I can't imagine how someone could have a "4 year hard-on" for a Jetta, I see where the OP is coming from. He was operating his car correctly, someone else was being an idiot and slammed into his car, now he wants his car back in the condition it was previously. That is a totally reasonable expectation, although insurance companies aren't always reasonable

Like others have said, I would not take their first offer and I would send them any documentation you have regarding the value of modifications you have done to the car, and tell them that you want your car fixed to the condition it was in before the guy they are insuring hit you. You will probably have to go back and forth with them a lot, but hopefully it works out for you
      "When you need to get somewhere quickly, I'd rather get there the fastest I can, looking the best I can"-Rutledge Wood

Vehicles
      1990 Olds Delta 88, 1986 Pontiac Parisienne Safari
      06-24-2013 09:18 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      FOUR MONTHS???? of negotiation?
      OK, looking back at the thread I posted about that situation, it was actually just three months. But yeah, it took awhile. The car was driveable, so it wasn't an emergency for me. I rejected three appraisals, got my own repair estimate and sent it in, sent in copies of every single receipt down to spark plugs, sent in printouts of Autotrader ads for other clean cars like mine with higher asking prices...I know they weren't really looking at most of this stuff, but the fact that they were building up an inch-thick file on a measly $2300 claim probably made them realize I could do this all year if they wanted to, so they gave in. The repairs came out nice too:

-Andrew L
      "The whole economy is hinged on potholes." --Ray Magliozzi
      Hubcap Business and Pontiac Project, both on hold while I finish The House | Philly/NJ highways blog Windshield Time

Vehicles
      Trailblazer SS
      06-24-2013 09:25 PM #33
      Keep rejecting offers until its a reasonable amount, and buy the car back and swap over to another mk3.
      LOL MPG
      IG: @geeofff
      XBL:DevilYellowLS1

Vehicles
      '03 BMW 330i
      06-24-2013 09:26 PM #34
      Threaten litigation++

My memory is extra vague on details but one of my college roommates got rear-ended, and he ended up getting a good chunk more than what his pos was worth. Enough to get him in to something much nicer without putting extra money in to it, all after getting legal advice.
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious View Post
      I never understood the mindset of people who spend a boat load of cash on a car and then never drive it. Why bother?
      "Yeah, my girlfriend is super hot, but I never have sex with her because I want her to be in good condition for her next boyfriend."
      Quote Originally Posted by DubheadFred View Post
      If ignorance is bliss, this thread is Caligulaic ecstasy.

Vehicles
      06-24-2013 09:29 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog View Post
      Although I can't imagine how someone could have a "4 year hard-on" for a Jetta, I see where the OP is coming from.
      My step brother built the car up and when I was 12 I remember wanting it so bad. It was a loud bright red car with white wheels and TURBO!!!! growing up watching the original fast and the furious with the mk3 jetta it was what I thought was the epitome of a cool car. I got to drive it for a year it was fun, but now Im going to college and id rather have what the car and everything is worth sitting in my bank account rather than rusting away in my driveway.

Maybe I got lucky getting hit, how could I maximize what I get out of this?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast