Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: cost to 1.8t swap

1. 06-27-2013 01:07 AM #1
      ive got a mk4 platform beetle with an aeg and 02j ive always wished it was a 1.8t. im looking for a ballpark figure to do the complete swap to see if its more financially smart than trying to boost my turd. ever one says it is id really just wanna be able to fry the tires atleast most of the way through second. im thinking the 1.8t is the smarter option but is it more cost effective. id get a 180 or 225 motor. doesnt the 225 come with a k04? or some variant of it. id keep my tranny. i believ minus a couple things of ducting and airboxes all the parts can come from one car if i can find on mostly intact.
      the new beetle has given you
      the mk4 platform & the r32 motor

Vehicles
      91 Mk2 TRACKCAR GTI /337 engine/6 spd
      06-27-2013 07:10 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by shackleford View Post
      ive got a mk4 platform beetle with an aeg and 02j ive always wished it was a 1.8t. im looking for a ballpark figure to do the complete swap to see if its more financially smart than trying to boost my turd. ever one says it is id really just wanna be able to fry the tires atleast most of the way through second. im thinking the 1.8t is the smarter option but is it more cost effective. id get a 180 or 225 motor. doesnt the 225 come with a k04? or some variant of it. id keep my tranny. i believ minus a couple things of ducting and airboxes all the parts can come from one car if i can find on mostly intact.
      Not worth it man.. Sell your beetle and get something with a 1.8t . or maybe put a 16v head on your 2. Slow and boost it
      91 Mk2 GTI----> 1.8T (Awp) /" 6 speed (O2M)" Holset HX27w Turbo / Stainless Log manifold / Tial 38mm WG / TurboSmart MBC / Simens 630cc / Aeromotive FPR / 034 fuel rail / TurboSmart BOV /Sigma 6 SPD Billet Shifter/ Wavetrac LSD/ CM fx400 /USP steel shift forks / 3''turboBack / Kirk Rollcage /ST Coilovers /Halk Blue Race Pads/ S.S brakelLines/ Toyo r888 /Tuned BY REY (elRey )

3. 06-27-2013 09:34 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by BR_337 View Post
      Not worth it man.. Sell your beetle and get something with a 1.8t.
      The Beetle was offered as a 1.8t equipped platform all ready. Much cheaper and smarter to do the above.

However, if you're determined to swap in the transmission, find a figure you're willing to spend, and double it, as you will invariably encounter delays, issues, and scenarios that will eventually frustrate you, and make you want to quit mid-swap.

If you decide to do the swap after all, buy a rear-end totalled car, and swap over everything you'll need (harness, ECU, engine, transmission, axles, transmission, intercooler, radiator) to make the swap work. If you buy a complete donor car you'll have everything you need (provided it wasn't picked over before you got it), so factor in that (donor vehicle) cost as well. Used turbos and ECUs come with their own (sometimes) issues, which may or may not make themselves known at time of purchase.

To sum it up, caveat emptor...

Mike
      "You guys get out, I've got places to go" - Steve Mahan, Google self driving car user #0001. Watch the video on Youtube, it's awesome!!!

4. 06-27-2013 11:35 AM #4
      Avoid the 225 motor if you do this, and I think you'd need the beetle's 1.8T intake for clearance reasons.

I used the 225 motor in my mk1 swap...more trouble than its worth. They have a rare and funky DP, the intake faces the wrong way (not technically the "wrong way" but it's opposite every other 1.8T.,) and many other components are slightly different and more expensive than say, an AWP.

you can keep your trans and axles, though the gear ratios may not be ideal.

strictly speaking cost though it's hard to say, I've seen it done for less than $1,000 and more than $10,000. I agree that your best bet would be to buy a rear end totalled 1.8T beetle and take everything you need, then resell it for scrap. That way you know it'd be a direct fit.

But in your shoes, I'd take $2000-$3000 or whatever you have and hop up the 2.slow. That can take you a long way if you do the work yourself.

5. 06-29-2013 06:32 PM #5
      If you already had a donor car I'd say go for it but since you dont I would look into a turbo kit for the 8v.You could easily get a kit into the 250 horse range on your 8v for what a swap to a 150-180 horse 1.8t swap would cost you