Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Faith In Humanity Restored Thread

Vehicles
      DD: Mazda3 O: Explorer | Uncertified Preowned: Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      07-02-2013 03:13 PM #1
      Feel-good stories. Or kick-ass things like the RC General Lee. I'm sick of these m-fer downer m-fer stories. And the Funny Picture Thread is morphing into the "This picture isn't funny" thread.

80 people! Do you know how much that is? Two 40s, you son of a b***h!
      Default post options: So, it has come to this. | If you think so. | Not that there's anything wrong with that. | That's what she said. | WTF.
      //// @mbull //// blog //// instagram ////

Vehicles
      00 Stg3 S4, e92
      07-02-2013 03:20 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by bob12312357 View Post
      Now now, let's not forget to specifically mention the steering wheels comparison to a 12 year old boys penis by one of our very own TCL members....

Vehicles
      00 Stg3 S4, e92
      07-02-2013 03:31 PM #3
      Boom.Headshot.

Now now, let's not forget to specifically mention the steering wheels comparison to a 12 year old boys penis by one of our very own TCL members....

4. 07-02-2013 03:54 PM #4
      Wow. Now I am a mess after reading the military ones. The bright green dress is both awesome and heartbreaking at the same time.

Vehicles
      99 528iT - 87 325is - 58 Lincoln Premiere
      07-02-2013 03:59 PM #5
      yeah, some sad yet heartwarming stories there.
      Current Stable: 99 528iT, 87 325is, 58 Lincoln Premiere
      Gone but not Forgotten: 88 M5, 69 MG, 98 Golf, 07 GTI, 10 CC, 13 Mustang GT, 90 Miata Turbo

DIYautoFTW Your online build and DIY resource

6. 07-02-2013 04:27 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by 98a4 View Post
      Boom.Headshot.
      Military based quote
      In tears

That's beautiful, sometimes the human spirit is an amazing thing.

Seeing the guy at Arlington kinda hits home.

My dad has fondly spoken of a childhood friend of his Jimmy Wayne Boggs, who lost his life in Vietnam. My father would always reflect on the good times they had as kids, and the trouble they got into, and would always laugh about how Jimmy seemed to get them out of trouble every time trouble found them. Dad would say he was a great thinker had the gift of gab, and knew how to calm situations, and make things work out in his benefit. When dad and Jimmy graduated high school they were thrusted into a conflict half way across the world. Jimmy the oldest of 2 sons was drafted to the army, and decided on infantry, my dad chose to enlist and went into the coast guard as a radio operator on a ship.

Dad spent his military years stationed in Hawaii, and abroad he was the first person on his ship to learn of the assassination of JFK, and being stationed in Hawaii he has some very interesting stories. Dad kept in touch with Jimmy through the years via mail, and he even visited the big island once. Sometime in 1966 my dad stopped getting letters from Jimmy, and knew something was amiss. After a few weeks of no correspondents dad received an envelope from a platoon member of Jimmy's that had a letter inside that was stained with blood. My dad opened the letter, and in Jimmy's hand writing were these six words "don't ever forget me my friend"

My father has never dissapointed Jimmy, in fact dad still has that letter framed with a picture of them as kids in his study.

Vehicles
      2000 Nog/Nog s4
      07-11-2013 01:56 PM #7
      Too bad a thread like this dies. The dude that has a beer with his buddy every weekend
      Quote Originally Posted by westsideseal View Post
      I am generation cupcake.

8. Banned
      Vehicles
      a moneypit
      07-11-2013 02:31 PM #8
      The letter from the father to his daughter ruined me.

I hope I never have to write that letter to my children.

9. Member
      07-11-2013 03:03 PM #10
      Yesterday, my kids decided to put together a lemonade stand in front of our house to raise money for a 7-year old friend that has had cancer that was successfully treated and is now back. Honestly, the kid probably won't make it to this time next year. Sad stuff.

It's a Wednesday afternoon, and we live at the end of a dead-end street. Not a cul-de-sac; it just stops 40' past our house.

I didn't want to persuade them, but I thought they'd be lucky to make a buck.

They raised $46, at 50 cents a cup.

10 years old and their hearts are a lot bigger than mine.

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit
      07-11-2013 03:29 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Bladecatcher View Post
      Yesterday, my kids decided to put together a lemonade stand in front of our house to raise money for a 7-year old friend that has had cancer that was successfully treated and is now back. Honestly, the kid probably won't make it to this time next year. Sad stuff.

It's a Wednesday afternoon, and we live at the end of a dead-end street. Not a cul-de-sac; it just stops 40' past our house.

And here I thought everyone in this town were self centered jerks. That's awesome.

11. 07-11-2013 03:39 PM #12
      I love anything that restores faith in humanity. A little choked up with this thread, but in such a positive way.

Life is so short and unpredictable... We see and do so much each and every day that makes us easily jaded, and it's nice to remind ourselves that there's still so much good in the world.

12. 07-11-2013 03:47 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Jedidub View Post
      After a few weeks of no correspondents dad received an envelope from a platoon member of Jimmy's that had a letter inside that was stained with blood. My dad opened the letter, and in Jimmy's hand writing were these six words "don't ever forget me my friend"

My father has never dissapointed Jimmy, in fact dad still has that letter framed with a picture of them as kids in his study.
      Wow. That is seriously just heartbreaking.

13. Geriatric Member VegasJetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      89 Helios GLI, 01 XJ 4.0, 99 Forester Syncro, 87 Honda TRX250, 82 Honda UrbEx, 85 Honda ATC70
      07-11-2013 04:02 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by OneLow12V View Post
      The letter from the father to his daughter ruined me.

I hope I never have to write that letter to my children.
      I opted not to read that letter. Only so much I can handle, being a father of two.
      Buy my Helios Jetta 16V GLi. Do it.

Quote Originally Posted by JacksSenseOfRejection
      Here's a fun fact: if someone is hitting you with a metal pipe, stay down.

Vehicles
      00 Stg3 S4, e92
      07-11-2013 05:24 PM #15
      I'll try to get a few more tears out of this place... These are not nearly as good...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/momen...umanity-this-y

15. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      91 GTI 1.8t, 07 Rabbit
      07-11-2013 06:07 PM #16
      good thread is good
      Quote Originally Posted by VikingVR6GTI View Post
      Yep, that was my first thought too. A nice set does not automatically make a chick attractive. Especially when that "chick" is a dude.

Vehicles
      '02 Appliance
      07-23-2013 01:21 AM #17
      So, I saw this...

Those feels...
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      This place is going to hell on a Thule roof rack.

07-23-2013 11:44 AM #18
      I just had to shut my office door and pretend I was on the phone for like 5 minutes till my eyes were puffy no more. Wow.

This is nowhere near being on the same level as the stuff posted above but I saw this sign this morning down the street from my house in Pittsburgh. Love the consideration.

07-28-2013 10:44 PM #19

Arizona Police Officer Gives Bike to Teen Who Walks 9 Miles to Work

By Alexa Valiente, ABC News
      May 11, 2013 10:30am

For one man in Arizona, getting pulled over by a police officer might have been the best thing to ever happen to him.

Phoenix Police Sgt. Natalie Simonick, 46, was on patrol around 11 p.m., when she saw a young man walking alone in a dark and desolate area who she thought might be violating curfew.

“And I pulled over and I asked him what he was doing,” Simonick told ABCNews.com. “He said, ‘Walking home, I missed the bus.’”

After the young man, Christian Felix, showed Simonick his ID proving he was 18 years old, the sergeant offered Felix a courtesy ride home. Then Simonick learned Felix had never ridden a bike before.

“He never had a father in his life, so he had no one to teach him,” Simonick said.

By the end of the ride home Simonick was shocked. It turned out Felix would walk the 9 mile distance to his home from his job at McDonald’s if he missed his bus.

Simonick was impressed by the young man. “He doesn’t drink and doesn’t smoke,” she said. “He had never had any contact with police as far as negative contact.”

After that night, Simonick spoke to her husband, who said she could give Felix their extra bike.

The other members of her squad agreed to help teach Felix how to ride a bike.

“It’s really something when someone comes up on the street and offers to do a kindness for you,” Felix told ABC affiliate KNXV. “These days you don’t see anything like that.”

Last month, Felix had his first bike lesson at the Phoenix police precinct parking lot.

“Two of my officers stood on either side of him and pushed him,” Simonick said. ”He was a little wobbly and rode into one of the poles, but my guys were right there to catch him.”

After 45 minutes, Felix was riding on his own, and he and Simonick rode together around the lot.

Since then, the two have kept in touch, and Simonick said she wants to continue to help Felix. So what’s Simonick’s next project?

“Well he did say that he’s never driven a car before,” Simonick joked. ”First things first I’ll see how he does with the bicycle.”

As for the attention, Simonick said she just wanted to show Felix that there are people out there who care.

“If everybody could help just one person in the world like this, I think it would definitely be a better place to live.”

Vehicles
      2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab, 2015 Challenger Scat-Pack 6MT because 'MURRICA
      07-29-2013 12:00 AM #20

This wrecked me.

I had to break my own arm to feel like a man again.

Vehicles
      '10 S4 | '91 MR2 Turbo
      07-29-2013 12:52 AM #21
      Heart = wrenched.

Before I was born, there was a young lady who helped my mom around the house. She wasn't financially secure, married, and had a young daughter. She was diagnosed with cancer in her early 20s and sadly passed away before she turned 30. The woman's daughter grew up healthy and my mom was somewhat of a Godmother to her, and in some ways, even a surrogate grandmother.

When she was in her teens, she too was unfortunately diagnosed with breast cancer. In an effort to help her fight the battle, my mom began funding her chemotherapy by asking others to donate to help the cause...like a 1-woman Red Cross.

For years she funded the therapy and helped pay for the medicine without telling people about it. When the girl was 21, she gave birth to a son and wanted to honor my mom for all the help she'd received. 2 years ago at age 24, she also passed away leaving behind her only son...

A son named after me.

Vehicles
      2007 Mazda 3 HB
      07-29-2013 01:19 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by 98a4 View Post
      I'll try to get a few more tears out of this place... These are not nearly as good...

This one had me choked up, what a beautiful story. I am going to propose to my girlfriend in about a week, stories like the one this 95 year old man told 'Zac' absolutely destroy me right now.

to 'Zac'

Vehicles
      2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab, 2015 Challenger Scat-Pack 6MT because 'MURRICA
      07-29-2013 01:43 AM #23
      Then there's this homecoming...

The girl's reaction...then the tough War Machine father crying himself...

It's just awesome!!!!!!!

Gives me the warm fuzzies...

Vehicles
      2008 Pontiac G6 Coupe
      07-29-2013 02:11 AM #24
      Anything with pups makes me cry like a baby, and this is no exception:

07-29-2013 02:29 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Black Jetta GT View Post
      This one had me choked up, what a beautiful story. I am going to propose to my girlfriend in about a week, stories like the one this 95 year old man told 'Zac' absolutely destroy me right now.

to 'Zac'
      love is all there is

ben also does a song for a zak; without a c, though (and sara, without an h); it's just a little less reflective. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8jW2qHnqrI)

Vehicles
      disco, new wave, rave era german iron...and a Japanese V8 with a tailgate
      07-29-2013 05:32 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by spoon! View Post
      I'll go if Paul goes.
      Rod Blagojevich - Team My Little Pony

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      07-29-2013 05:39 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by PolskiHetzen View Post
      My son's Jr. year in HS, one of the Sr.'s on his lacrosse team had a friend that had cancer. The entire team shaved their head as a show of support.

Vehicles
      06 Miata, 07 Magnum, 06 Mazda 3
      07-31-2013 03:01 PM #28
      A hobbyist explorer inadvertently found a new series of waterfalls in a largely uncharted region of Northern Canada:

“I’ve discovered a waterfall and now I’m about to go straight over it,” Mr. Shoalts thought. “This is not good.”

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/07...wn-waterfalls/

He's got some real skill to take on these adventures...it's harsh territory....
      2006 MX-5
      2007 Magnum
      2006 Mazda 3

28. Member
      07-31-2013 03:10 PM #29

As I see this thread pop back up...

...the little girl passed away last night.

Not unexpected, but a kid suffering and dying... Sucks.

Vehicles
      MmmmK 6 R
      07-31-2013 03:15 PM #30
      Saw this recently

Dog sees owner after 2 years:

Quote Originally Posted by Assle View Post
      There are some very fit pisser smashers in the industry. I'm not sure if she's a pisser smasher per se, though. She might just enjoy bumper-to-bumper traffic. A kissing fish, if you will.

Vehicles
      00 Stg3 S4, e92
      07-31-2013 04:19 PM #31
      As I see this thread pop back up...
      ...the little girl passed away last night.
      Not unexpected, but a kid suffering and dying... Sucks.

http://youtu.be/rsIOoXG_gmo

31. Member
      08-01-2013 02:17 PM #32

Lance Cpl. Myles Kerr may have lost the Jeff Drenth Memorial 5K footrace in Charlevoix, Michigan, last weekend, but he won the hearts of hundreds of thousands of admirers.

VIDEO: Marines Won't Leave Ailing Recruit Behind

On Saturday, the 19-year-old Marine noticed 9-year-old Boden Fuchs struggling to complete the race. The boy had become separated from his group. According to the Facebook page, Seal of Honor, which posted a photograph of the pair running together, Boden asked Kerr, "Sir, will you please run with me?" Kerr, wearing boots and fatigues, and carrying a full backpack, stuck with the boy, encouraged him to complete the race, and helped him reunite with his party at the end of the course—even though Kerr was dead last in his age group, clocking in at 35:43 minutes (five seconds behind Boden). He came in so much later than his Marine buddies, in fact, that they were concerned he had been injured.

The photo has received more than 200,000 likes and been shared nearly 10,000 times.

The Seal of Honor page—which was established in the memory of Lt. Michael Murphy, who served as a Navy SEAL in Afghanistan—went on to praise the young man: "By his unwavering commitment to help those in need through his ability to inspire others by his unequivocal level of motivation, Lcpl Kerr reflected great credit upon himself and was keeping in the highest traditions of the United States Marine Corps."

Vehicles
      2013 GTI
      08-01-2013 02:26 PM #33
      Atta boy, Devil.
      Quote Originally Posted by butterface View Post
      It isn't whether a government can represent its people that is the best measure of its effectiveness. Rather, it's whether a government is designed to leave its people alone.

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2003 Honda S2000, 2007 Honda Fit Sport
      08-01-2013 02:38 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by PolskiHetzen View Post
      apparently former presidents are not immune to such awesomeness either...

HW always seemed like a really cool and interesting dude...probably the last US president i actually had real respect for as a person.

Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Vehicles
      VW 2.oh?
      08-01-2013 08:11 PM #35
      Okay so today is the day I learn that I'm in fact a little girl. Thank you guys

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast