Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Whining noise. Ideas?

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Candy White 08 GTI 2dr 6sp
      07-02-2013 09:11 PM #1
      Here's the deal:

2008 GTI FSI 6 speed with just over 60k.

Almost completely stock, just a K&N panel filter. Timing belt, tensioner,& water pump replaced under powertrain warranty at 50k for a ticking tensioner.

I'm getting a whining noise. Rev dependent, but not speed dependent, so I've narrowed it down to the rotating assembly. Seems to only last for the first few minutes the engine is running, then fades away.

No knocking, unusual ticking, CELs, or notable loss of performance.

I'd expect a alternator bearing to continue the whole time while driving. Could be a power steering pump, but no steering performance issues. Noise doesn't change with AC on or off.

I'm afraid it's a turbo issue(bearing or oiling). The car is paid off, and I'd rather not pick up a new payment. But I'm not planning on dropping major coin to rebuild motors or replace turbos.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0T, 2003 Audi A6 3.0
      07-02-2013 10:21 PM #2
      Do you have a boost guage? If so, is it making normal amount of boost?

Does the noise get louder when you turn the wheel or under load or boost?
      2006 Passat 2.0T Tiptronic | Unitronic Stage 2 | DG Springs | Newsouth Boost Gauge | BFI Tranny Insert | Rev D DV | BSH PCV fix | eBay Downpipe w/cat | Autotech Exhaust | DDM HIDs | Bentley Manual | VCDS - Car for sale! $6,000
      2003 Audi A6 3.0

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      07-02-2013 11:14 PM #3
      No boost gauge.

Noise does not seem to change when turning.

Noise changes with rpms, but doesn't seem to get louder as much as higher pitched. Haven't noticed a difference under load.

4. Banner Advertiser Paul@DeutscheAutoParts's Avatar
      Vehicles
      MK7 GTI, 90 Corrado 16vt
      07-05-2013 10:58 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by devilfluff View Post
      No boost gauge.

Noise does not seem to change when turning.

Noise changes with rpms, but doesn't seem to get louder as much as higher pitched. Haven't noticed a difference under load.
      Sounds like it could be a PCV valve issue

Has yours been replaced? If yes when and what version is on your car now. These are the 2 most current versions.

If you dont know which one is correct for your vehicle I can run your vin to check.

http://www.deutscheautoparts.com/Vie...101-E/0/139939

http://www.deutscheautoparts.com/Vie...101-L/0/139938
      www.DeutscheAutoParts.com not just 25% off anymore---------Deutsche (DOY-chuh) Auto Parts----------All VW part numbers are searchable on our site.
      Follow us on Instagram-------- Twitter --------Facebook--------- YouTube

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Jetta 2.0T
      07-05-2013 12:11 PM #5
      It's not a power steering pump, your car doesn't have one. Pull the accessory drive belt and run the car briefly. This will confirm or eliminate: alternator bearings, AC ?, and the belt tensioner and pulley. If the problem is sill there. Run the motor with the timing belt inspection cover off, see if it gets noisier, the new parts under the timing belt cover could be the problem too.

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      07-06-2013 11:28 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Paul@DeutscheAutoParts View Post
      Sounds like it could be a PCV valve issue

Has yours been replaced? If yes when and what version is on your car now. These are the 2 most current versions.

If you dont know which one is correct for your vehicle I can run your vin to check.

http://www.deutscheautoparts.com/Vie...101-E/0/139939

http://www.deutscheautoparts.com/Vie...101-L/0/139938
      The PCV was done under warranty in January of '12. Looks like part# 06F129101P. The repair receipt notes TSB 202745413 and shows 2 valves(PCV & a check valve).

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      07-06-2013 11:32 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by cameron2pt5 View Post
      It's not a power steering pump, your car doesn't have one. Pull the accessory drive belt and run the car briefly. This will confirm or eliminate: alternator bearings, AC ?, and the belt tensioner and pulley. If the problem is sill there. Run the motor with the timing belt inspection cover off, see if it gets noisier, the new parts under the timing belt cover could be the problem too.
      Thanks. I should have thought to give it a quick run with the belt off. I'll give that a go on my day off.

8. Junior Member
      07-09-2013 10:41 AM #8
      I'm currently having a similar issue with my car. When I start up the car while the engine is cool, I get squeaking for a little bit until the engine warms up, then it fades away. I am convinced it's my timing belt tensioner since I'm at 69k now and is a common issue around that mileage.

9. Banner Advertiser Paul@DeutscheAutoParts's Avatar
      Vehicles
      MK7 GTI, 90 Corrado 16vt
      07-09-2013 10:55 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by adg968 View Post
      I'm currently having a similar issue with my car. When I start up the car while the engine is cool, I get squeaking for a little bit until the engine warms up, then it fades away. I am convinced it's my timing belt tensioner since I'm at 69k now and is a common issue around that mileage.
      Could be you would have to take it apart to check. This would help you diagnose where the noise is coming from http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-5888-Me...ve+stethoscope

Here is an OEM Timing belt kit if you are in need.

http://www.deutscheautoparts.com/Vie...-A/1792/140018
      www.DeutscheAutoParts.com not just 25% off anymore---------Deutsche (DOY-chuh) Auto Parts----------All VW part numbers are searchable on our site.

10. Junior Member
      07-09-2013 11:17 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Paul@DeutscheAutoParts View Post
      Could be you would have to take it apart to check. This would help you diagnose where the noise is coming from http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-5888-Me...ve+stethoscope

Here is an OEM Timing belt kit if you are in need.

I heard you also have to replace the waterpump when replacing the timing belt. Do you have a kit that includes the waterpump with the timing belt?

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Blue GLI-sold 2013 RB Golf R
      07-12-2013 01:28 PM #11
      Your t-belt is most likely causing the squeak you're experiencing. If you remove the cover and take a small amout of water and drop a small amount on the belt and it will quit till the belt dries.
      2004 GLI

Euro Pros Auto Repair
      http://europrosautorepair.com

12. Junior Member
      07-16-2013 02:10 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Jayj View Post
      Your t-belt is most likely causing the squeak you're experiencing. If you remove the cover and take a small amout of water and drop a small amount on the belt and it will quit till the belt dries.
      Thanks. I'm on the mission of finding a reliable belt kit with the waterpump. I've heard it's wise to replace the timing belt and related components with OEM parts rather than aftermarket.

13. Banner Advertiser Paul@DeutscheAutoParts's Avatar
      Vehicles
      MK7 GTI, 90 Corrado 16vt
      07-16-2013 05:40 PM #13
      Thanks. I'm on the mission of finding a reliable belt kit with the waterpump. I've heard it's wise to replace the timing belt and related components with OEM parts rather than aftermarket.
      Here is a Genuine VW Tbelt Kit for 25% off for your 2.0T fsi engine