Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Tiguan R line coming in 2014 for the USA

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Mk VI GTI, EOS
      07-10-2013 02:02 PM #1
      News from the VW of America press release today. My wife has been thinking of selling here EOS and was considering a Tiguan SEL. Does anyone know how much the R Line might be?

Looks interesting with the body kit, black headliner, R steering wheel, and real leather seats....

Tiguan
      - Tiguan R-Line model added to the lineup
      - VW Car-Net connectivity option widely available across trim lines
      - Introduction of Fender Premium Audio System on R-Line and SEL trims
      - Content added across the Tiguan lineup; Keyless access with push-button start, Climatronic® automatic air conditioning, MDI with iPod® cable, and rearview camera

The Tiguan R-Line joins the expanded lineup of R-Line models. This performance and appearance package adds aggressive styling and a sport suspension. The exterior is further enhanced with 19-inch aluminum-alloy Mallory wheels, an R-Line roof spoiler, body-color side skirts, and R-Line badging. The interior receives R-Line front door kickplates, a flat-bottomed leather-wrapped multifunction steering wheel with paddle shifters, black headliner, and stainless steel pedals. Additionally, the Tiguan R-Line offers Bi-Xenon headlights with LED DRLs and leather seating surfaces.

Overall, there is added value across the Tiguan lineup with enhanced SE and SEL models, as well as a new SE with Appearance trim line. The SE adds heated seats, leatherette seating surfaces, and an MDI with iPod® adapter; the SE with Appearance’s added features include Keyless access with push-button start and a rearview camera; and the SEL adds the Fender Premium Audio System.

2. 07-10-2013 05:43 PM #2
      Interesting - and good some minor additions - but the 2014 line-up does not really solve the product line thinness for returning buyers - at least that's my take. For example - if you are not in the market for the standard auto, and while the Tiguan R is an added model with nice wheels at least, it does not solve the problem of size (just a little too small here and there) or lack of a TDI engine choice - or engines (with maybe 150 horses for 40+ mpgs and 200 horses and 300 Ft/Lbs for a little pull and 30+ mpgs) in SEL (or R) garb for the Tiguan. [The best my '09 T2.0L SEL will do is about 27.5 mpg on the expressway.] The line-up is getting better but not quite there for previous VWoA customers. Of course, if you are a first time buyer, have at it - as we have enjoyed our '09s Tig SEL and GTI a lot. So let's agree that 2014 is a throw-away year for just marking time.

Opinions of course do count when shared by many customers.

3. Member
      07-10-2013 06:19 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Midwesterner View Post
      News from the VW of America press release today. My wife has been thinking of selling here EOS and was considering a Tiguan SEL. Does anyone know how much the R Line might be?
      Probably around the same price as the current SEL.
      15 Audi SQ5 Prestige
      13 Tiguan SEL 4motion
      13 Honda Insight EX

4. 07-10-2013 08:41 PM #4
      Until we get MT and/or DSG w/ 4-Mo & a TDI in the mix...nothing to see here .

Vehicles
      2014 Touareg, 2013 Tiguan
      07-11-2013 06:11 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
      Until we get MT and/or DSG w/ 4-Mo & a TDI in the mix...nothing to see here .
      Agreed. Our next vehicle will be TDI-powered. Its years away for us but we are looking now. Q5 is in the running...bigger than Tig, smaller than Toureg, will have TDI for '14
      Current - 2014 FGM Touareg 3.6L gas | 2014 Blk Passat 1.8T | 2013 CW Tiguan
      Past - 1966 Beetle | 1978 AW Scirocco CEII | 1997 TR Jetta GT | 2003 TR GTI VR6 | 2005.5 PGM New Jetta | 2013 DBP GTI
      @instagram
      @fuelly

6. 07-11-2013 09:53 AM #6
      I understand the Audi Q5 will be here with a TDI,so why not the VW Tiggy? I would be on board for that set up.

7. Member
      07-11-2013 10:12 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by ribbit View Post
      I understand the Audi Q5 will be here with a TDI,so why not the VW Tiggy? I would be on board for that set up.
      That's like asking why the Touareg has a diesel but not the Tiguan...
      15 Audi SQ5 Prestige
      13 Tiguan SEL 4motion
      13 Honda Insight EX

8. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      15 GTI Autobahn / 13 Golf R / 04 R32 / 02 337
      07-11-2013 11:46 PM #8
      current SEL has real leather. R line will add the painted sides, black headliner, r wheel, pedals, sound system, spoiler and badging. the 19" savannah wheels will also be replaced.
      '85 Golf (SOLD) - '91 Jetta GL (SOLD) - '97 Jetta Trek (SOLD) - '99 Jetta Wolfsburg (SOLD) - '02 GTI 337 - '04 R32 (SOLD) - '04 R32 - '10 GTI Autobahn (SOLD) - '12 Golf R (SOLD) - '13 Tiguan SEL (SOLD) - '13 Golf R - '15 GTI Autobahn - '15 .........

9. 08-09-2013 03:44 PM #9
      We Canadians got R-Lines as part of the 2013 model lineup. I bought one of them on the spot as soon as I sat inside!

It seems like such a minor thing, but having a black headliner above one's head completely changes the nuances of the interior. Especially as I drive: the pillars inside my field of vision seem to enhance the visual experience of the road instead of block it. Purely psychological and aesthetic? Absolutely... and I love it!
      Last edited by reservoircat; 08-09-2013 at 03:50 PM.

10. 08-09-2013 03:51 PM #10
      p.s. having paddle shifters on the Tiguan is a selfish pleasure! I absolutely recommend this steering wheel setup to any Tig owner who likes to drive 'briskly'!

11. 08-10-2013 07:26 PM #11
      Does anyone know how the suspension will differ from a 2013 NA SEL? Higher spring rates/lower height? Different sway bars?

12. 08-10-2013 08:01 PM #12
      hopefully ... some day ... this Tig R will get a " R " type TFSI engine ... ( instead of the regular TSI)

please have VW give me a call when this R gets the Golf R engine ... that would be a bit more interesting for an actual Upgrade .... DSG would be OK also ...

or actually let us " Order/Build " the vehicle we want ..!!!!!!! like Porsche , BMW , and the like ... versus ordering from a very limited menu ...
      just traded 2012 GTI for 2012 Tig SE 4motion ... still miss my 08 R32 .. !

08-14-2013 06:42 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by dacuck View Post
      hopefully ... some day ... this Tig R will get a " R " type TFSI engine ... ( instead of the regular TSI)

please have VW give me a call when this R gets the Golf R engine ... that would be a bit more interesting for an actual Upgrade .... DSG would be OK also ...

or actually let us " Order/Build " the vehicle we want ..!!!!!!! like Porsche , BMW , and the like ... versus ordering from a very limited menu ...
      +1