VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Passenger Side Clunk Noise: Need Help

10K views 76 replies 13 participants last post by  sehaare 
#1 ·
So I have had this clunking noise for a while, whenever I drive over a bump with my front passenger side tire. At first I thought it was the strut mount or strut so I built brand new ones, still had the noise. Next I replaced all of the engine mounts, noise better but still there. I checked the brake pad clips, they are installed although the caliper on the passenger side is a little loose but I dont think I can do anything about that... Anyhow, I changed out the control arms, bushing, ball joints and outer sway bar bushings. The ball joint was torn open but the clunking still remains.

Any advice? Other places to look?

#64 ·
That's why I asked you if it stops when you press the brake pedal while going over the bumps that cause the noise. If it stops immediately as you lightly press the brakes (which puts a bit of pressure on the pads), then your problem is look brake pads...You shouldn't need to remove the pads to stop the noise, simply pressing on the brakes enough should quiet them.

#66 ·
I dont know if it has been suggested but, did you use strut inserts? Check to see that they are not moving up and down inside the strut housing.

Check your upper strut nuts, do you have a washer on there too? I have experienced the upper strut nut backing off with driving. check that maybe...

Good luck

#71 ·
It has been my experience that the Faeries are Gremlins, and that Stripe, and the Rest gnaw on the sweet parts to really cause you more grief.

To prevent this, you have to maintain it, and DRIVE.....................

#73 ·
So here is the update...

1st Prize goes to Spokane Pepe as it turns out the the New Caliper on the Passenger side did not have the little metal sleeves inside it, just the teflon ones and the bolts so the caliper moved about and everything slapped about. Once fixed the majority of my loud noise went away!

Also, honorable mention goes out to Vswager as the bottom steering bearing had fallen some and I believe the top one will need to be looked at this winter.

Now I have a much quieter, occasional thump on certian big bumps like RR crossings. I have got to believe that being able to wiggle he passenger wheel at the 3 and 9 positions a bit can not be good. The only things on this side of the car that have not been replaced are he wheel bearing and the INNER tie rod. Suggestions?

#74 ·
The only things on this side of the car that have not been replaced are he wheel bearing and the INNER tie rod. Suggestions?
Take the tire off or Jack it up and look up while some one wiggles the wheel. If the think don't move at the 12 and 6, then I say tie-rod

#76 ·
So breakthrough today and it is a bit embarrassing. I am always shocked and complaining about what I see done from PO's to all of the old cars I have owned but this one was done by the CO (current owner, me). Seems as though I didnt tighten down the bolts on the new ball joint I installed:facepalm: So now the wheel is tight and only a little noise is heard when I hit bumps but it could be the steering wheel or it could just be anything that could be worn and loose in a 21 year old car.
thanks for all of the help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.