Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1998 VW Jetta Auto No start, No crank, No codes HELP!!!!

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      1988 VW GTi, 1998 VW Jetta K2
      07-23-2013 05:24 PM #1
      Okay, all I need some help here.

Just picked up a 1998 VW Jetta K2 for the wife. I have always been a VW guy, and she has always wanted one since she met me. I determined that her Honda was not worth fixing, so we found a MkIII Jetta for her. She loves it already. She had to wait a week after we got it until we had time to do the title transfer and I spent that week cleaning up the paint. Looks Awesome. She got to drive it 2 days to work. On the third day, it wouldn't start. No crank. No starter noise. Nothing but appropriate relays clicking. The last time she drove it, several weird electrical things happened. First, the radio got "fuzzy." The wife didn't think anything of it. Assumed it was just an area of bad reception. Then the gauges went haywire. After normalizing, it acted like it was going to stall out. On the freeway doing 65. Luckily it didn't. She made it home, but now the car won't start. She is really bummed out and I am really frustrated.

When I first started looking at things, I jacked the driver side up and removed the wheel for easy access to the starter. Upon a scan I got several codes:

00638 - Engine/Transmission Electrical Connection 2 - sporadic - no signal
      00518 - Throttle Position Sensor (G69) - static - Signal outside tolerance
      00293 - Multi-function Switch (F125) - static - undefined switch condition

I have checked voltage at battery and starter. Everything checks out. I cleaned the grounds in the engine bay. The starter was replaced last month, just before we bought the car. I replaced the ignition switch. Removed the F125 switch and cleaned blades and harness connector. I found some broken and/or stripped of insulation wires in the door hinge areas and repaired them. When I got the car back on the ground, I reset the codes to see what came back. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

Please help. I am not really sure where to go from here, aside from having it towed somewhere to have them diagnosis it. Don't really want to do that.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

2. n00b
      Vehicles
      07-23-2013 05:40 PM #2
      Some other pertinent information: I suspected the alarm system, so I jumped the wires to disable it. The ignition lock cylinder is acting goofy. Sometimes it doesn't pop all the way out when you remove the key, causing accessories to stay on. Also, the chime comes on every time the door is opened, regardless of lights being on or key in or out of the ignition, ignition lock cylinder popped all the way out or not...

Also, when the wife reported the initial symptoms, the fan/AC did not work. It does now.

3. n00b
      Vehicles
      07-23-2013 06:00 PM #3
      I might add that the CEL is on, despite a lack of codes. Readiness test reveals that both O2 sensors and catalytic converter fail.

4. n00b
      Vehicles
      07-28-2013 01:33 PM #4
      No one has any ideas?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      07-28-2013 01:49 PM #5
      t nows to me like the ignition switch, and/or the ignition lock cylinder have gone bad. This is a common MKIII/MKII problem.

You can order a replacement ignition switch from your local VW Dealer (OE but may not be stocked at the Dealer anymore) or AutoZone (special order, poor quality generic) for about $40. You can also order a quality aftermarket part (be aware of the Brand) from numerous online companies for less than $10.

A good ignition lock cylinder will cost you $15-$30 online and will come with new keys. If you take the car to a VW dealership, they will try to charge you about $700 to change both the ignition switch, and the ignition lock cylinder. If you decide/need to change the ignition lock cylinder, you can easily rekey the door lock cylinders to match the new ignition lock cylinder key yourself.

If you don't need the car, you can try ordering the ignition switches first. You can test fit a replacement ignition switch before going to the trouble of installing it, by removing the steering column shroud (two screws from the bottom, plus plastic snaps), unplugging the existing ignition switch, and plugging in a new one. You can turn the new ignition switch with a slot blade screwdriver, and even drive around if you insert the key into the ignition lock cylinder to unlock the steering column.

Buy two ignition switches so you can keep a spare in the trunk for emergencies, and so you won't need to pay $40 when you find you need one (for replacement or testing).

6. n00b
      Vehicles
      07-28-2013 03:21 PM #6
      I have been suspecting the lock cylinder. I already replaced the switch. Goofy things have been happening relative to the key being in the accessory position. First the door chime stayed on all the time, whether or not the door was open or closed, key in accessory or not. Now the door chime doesn't work at all. The stereo was staying on all the time, now it won't turn on at all. I have read most people saying that the lock cylinder only needs to be replace if you have issues with the key not turning, or the key getting stuck, but this seems far too related to the lock cylinder to be purely coincidence. Thanks for the reply.

7. n00b
      Vehicles
      07-28-2013 05:57 PM #7
      Okay, the lock cylinder definitely is bad, but there has to be more going on. The accessories and chime work properly with a screwdriver, but the damn thing still won't start...

8. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      07-29-2013 02:08 AM #8
      You could have a bad starter.

On a ABA, you can try jumpering the starter to eliminate the starter as a problem. The starter solenoids go bad on ABAs all the time.

Try testing the starter by jumpering directly from the battery positive to the small terminal on the starter to see if the starter is good. Make sure that the transmission is in Neutral, or Park before jumpering the starter so you don't run yourself over because the engine will turn no matter what gear the transmission is in if the starter is good.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      1998 GTI 2.0T
      07-29-2013 09:55 AM #9
      A safer way to check the starter is to have a helper hold the ignition switch in the "crank" position, and measure voltage on the signal wire. 12v signal, good power on the big wire and ground on the housing, it should crank. If not, starter is shot.

Has the battery been properly load tested (not with a voltmeter)? Once it's running, check the alternator as well, for both charging voltage and diode operation.
      2012 Corolla
      1998 GTI 2.0T

World Automotive
      Need any VCDS (VAG-COM) diagnostics or coding in the North NJ area? PM me.

10. n00b
      Vehicles
      07-29-2013 04:27 PM #10
      I'll give it a try, although the starter was replaced by the previous owner the month before we bought the car.

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll keep you posted.

11. n00b
      Vehicles
      07-29-2013 04:29 PM #11
      The battery has not been load tested, however it is brand new and a jump will not start the car.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      07-29-2013 11:05 PM #12
      Just because the PO/Seller replaced the starter doesn't mean that the starter that was installed was any good. The Seller good have installed a used starter, or could have bought a rebuilt starter from a place like AutoZone (which is known for supplying dead rebuilt starter in the box).

13. n00b
      Vehicles
      08-05-2013 07:18 PM #13
      Thanks for all of the help, Guys. It was the starter. I jumped the terminals and it did not start. Removed the starter and bench tested it. Nothing. Replaced the starter and she fired right up. I mean he.. The wife thinks of her cars as men. But whatever. She/he is running. Thanks for the input and advice. Much appreciated.