Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Temperature gauge reads hot when the engine is not overheating

Vehicles
      emkaytree 2.turbo, '84 rabbit project
      07-27-2013 03:47 PM #1
      I have a obd1 aba engine that says its overheating when it is not. I changed the waterpump a month/500 miles ago and did a full coolant flush. I already changed the coolant temp sensor but I feel like that has only made it worse. The temp gauge will rise as the engine warms up sometimes it stops at 190 and slowly rises to 230 sometimes it goes straight to 230. After warming up for a little bit I check the hoses and the thermostat hasn't even opened because the hose before it is hot and after is cold. When the thermostat opens the gauge either goes back to 190 only to rise to 230 again or just stays at 230. I know for sure the engine isn't overheating because the gauge will say its well past 230 but the engine is barely even warm and there's no other signs of overheating. Is it possible that another faulty coolant temp sensor could be doing this?
      Whenever i see another VW I follow them home, wait untill they are asleep, sneak in, lay next to them and wake them up while tounging their ear and whisper I have a VW too.

Then I rape them then leave.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      1998 GTI 2.0T
      07-27-2013 05:27 PM #2
      Do you have good heat? Does temp go down when heat is put on full blast?

Use an IR temp gun to verify actual temps. Could be a sticky thermostat and the engine is actually running hot but lower hose is still cold.
      1998 GTI 2.0T
      1993 Jeep ZJ 4.0

World Automotive
      Need any VCDS (VAG-COM) diagnostics or coding in the North NJ area? PM me.

Vehicles
      07-27-2013 05:43 PM #3
      The heat works perfectly. When I turn the heat on all the way it has no effect on the temperature. Also I can feel when the thermostat opens because the hose will get warm but the temperature gauge stays wherever it was pegged to.
      Whenever i see another VW I follow them home, wait untill they are asleep, sneak in, lay next to them and wake them up while tounging their ear and whisper I have a VW too.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      07-28-2013 12:36 PM #4
      Have you tried replacing the temperature sensor?

Vehicles
      07-28-2013 05:43 PM #5
      Yeah that was the first thing I replaced. I think it might me the thermostat now so I'm trying to replace that but it's such a pain in the ass.

Vehicles
      07-29-2013 06:45 PM #6
      Took the thermostat out and tested it in boiling water and its fine. I just changed my waterpump a month ago but my car still overheats. The fan doesn't come on when the car warms up so I used a paper clip to jump the fan at the thermoswitch by the radiator and it turned on. Can an air bubble in my cooling system be causing this? I tried to get all the air out do I just have to leave the cap off over night and hope for the best?

7. Member
      Vehicles
      1998 GTI 2.0T
      07-30-2013 08:47 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by tg442 View Post
      Took the thermostat out and tested it in boiling water and its fine. I just changed my waterpump a month ago but my car still overheats. The fan doesn't come on when the car warms up so I used a paper clip to jump the fan at the thermoswitch by the radiator and it turned on. Can an air bubble in my cooling system be causing this? I tried to get all the air out do I just have to leave the cap off over night and hope for the best?
      Yes an air pocket certainly could cause it. Sometimes these cars are a real pain to burp.

Leaving the cap off overnight is a good idea.
      1998 GTI 2.0T
      1993 Jeep ZJ 4.0

World Automotive
      Need any VCDS (VAG-COM) diagnostics or coding in the North NJ area? PM me.