Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: DSG Fluid Leaking After DIY Change?

Vehicles
      '10 Volkswagen CC Sport
      08-09-2013 11:04 PM #1
      Hey guys,

I have a 2010 VW CC with the 2.0T TSI engine and the DSG transmission.

I did the DSG fluid change at 40,000 miles as specified by VAG. New fluid, filter, o-ring for the filter cap. Around 7,000 miles later, it began leaking from the filter cap.

So I changed the fluid again. Again, 8,000 miles after the fluid change it is leaking from the filter cap again. I made sure on the second change that the filter cap threads were clean of any debris and made sure it was on stout. Pulled the battery out to tighten up the filter cap and it was on securely, but I was able to snug it up a little further.

Anyone aware of what I might be doing wrong. I have no idea on how much fluid I may have lost, but driving it this way but it doesn't seem to have any issues shifting. How should I refill to make sure I have the correct amount of fluid in the trans without draining everything and refilling AGAIN?

Vehicles
      '13 Cute Ute | '14 Sedan | '15 Hatch
      08-13-2013 07:17 PM #2
      did you allow excess to drain out after getting the fluid up to temp?

3. n00b
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta TDI
      08-14-2013 04:12 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by DasCC View Post
      +1.

I'm hoping to tackle this in another 2.5k miles or so, and I want to learn every possible mistake that could be made. OP, did you drain the excess?

Vehicles
      08-14-2013 02:21 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by strayts View Post
      +1.

I'm hoping to tackle this in another 2.5k miles or so, and I want to learn every possible mistake that could be made. OP, did you drain the excess?
      There is a great write up for this on another forum. The guy even made it a PDF. You'll need VCDS to check fluid temp.

Vehicles
      08-14-2013 02:22 PM #5

Vehicles
      '10 Volkswagen CC Sport
      08-15-2013 02:19 PM #6
      I did the top fill method. I don't have VAG-COM.

Vehicles
      08-15-2013 03:02 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by notamechanic View Post
      I did the top fill method. I don't have VAG-COM.
      The leaking then probably from it being overfilled. You need to let the fluid get up to temp and let the excess drain from the bottom. The pressure is forcing it out of the filter cap.

Vehicles
      '10 Volkswagen CC Sport
      08-15-2013 03:12 PM #8
      The leaking then probably from it being overfilled. You need to let the fluid get up to temp and let the excess drain from the bottom. The pressure is forcing it out of the filter cap.
      Makes a great deal of sense, but I only put 4.5 liters in the trans when I did the fill.

I suppose anything is possible, but is it likely that it is leaking because I overtightened the filter cap? I know that the cap isn't cracked though.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 MKVI GTI
      08-17-2013 12:34 AM #9
      Interesting. Just double check make sure the o ring for the filter housing is not shoved all the way up against the filter housing flange and is sitting in the specific groove just under the flange. If you did the top fill measure what came and put back in what came out it should not leak . Check the O ring

Vehicles
      '10 Volkswagen CC Sport
      08-18-2013 10:27 PM #10
      Okay, so I talked to a buddy of mine who is a VW tech. He thinks that I may have tightened the cap too much, pinching the o-ring.

Pulled the filter cap off, o-ring looks fine. Spun the filter cap back on by hand after cleaning the threads on the transmission and the filter cap. Then torqued to 15 ft. lbs. using a torque wrench. Checked it today after driving it for two days and oil is still collecting around the filter cap.

Vehicles
      '10 Volkswagen CC Sport
      08-18-2013 10:33 PM #11
      Just to elaborate, this is the procedure I used.

• Remove filter cap
      • Remove filter
      • Remove metal drain plug
      • Remove plastic snorkel
      • Replace plastic snorkel
      • Replace metal drain plug with new crush washer
      • Pour 4.5L of DSG fluid in
      • Install new filter
      • Install filter cap with new o-ring

I did not let any fluid drain after pouring the new fluid in, because I do not have a VAG-COM to measure the fluid temperature and I thought the transmission is supposed to hold exactly 4.5L...and I know I poured exactly 4.5L in. However, perhaps it is possible I overfilled it?

If you pour exactly 4.5L of new fluid in, does it still drip some out if you use the VAG-COM method of checking the fluid temperature?

Vehicles
      08-19-2013 01:45 AM #12
      Tough to say. Depends on how much fluid may have stayed in the trans when you drained it.

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk

13. Member
      Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI | 97 Passat Wagon VR6 | 87 Rieger Scirocco GTO
      11-03-2013 08:25 PM #13
      Anything further on this? I'm seeing the same, and have followed the same as the OP so far.

I'm good on level, but wanted to chime in on a fact - if overfilled, fluid will leak from the vent way before it leaks from the oil filter cap. The oil filter cap is supposed to form a complete seal.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      09 GTI, 02 Golf TDI
      11-29-2013 03:12 PM #14
      If he over-filled it, why would it take 7k miles to start leaking?

I think I'm in the same boat - changed it about 6k miles ago, and now it appears I have a small leak. I haven't actually had a chance to find the source, but I'm pretty sure it's DSG fluid. Are there any "common" leak spots?

I'll probably warm it up, pull the plug to see if I anything comes out (doubt it), and then add 250mL and repeat.

Vehicles
      GLi 5857 SLC 6262
      11-30-2013 01:35 AM #15
      For those that have leaking around the filter housing, did you use the vaico filter or the OEM?
      Have seen the Vaico filter/oring combo leaking on a few cars. Swapped out for the OEM filter/oring combo on those vehicles and have had no more issues.
      apex-tuning.com
      NC's premiere watercooled parts and performance
      Ipanemarado

16. Member
      Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI | 97 Passat Wagon VR6 | 87 Rieger Scirocco GTO
      12-19-2013 01:01 PM #16
      Some of these filters are coming with thinner o-rings. If you see a leak, chances are that's the cause. The o-ring should be thick enough to pass 2-3mm past level with the plastic housing groove. I'd say just keep the factory o-ring on there unless you get a replacement from VW. Don't trust the ones coming in the kits.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      09 GTI, 02 Golf TDI
      12-23-2013 01:11 PM #17
      I checked mine last weekend and the o-ring that came out was flat, almost like a rubber band. I don't know if that was from being squeezed in place or if it was a bad o-ring. I know the oil filter o-ring on my TDI never came out flat like that.

Replaced the o-ring and filter, cleaned up the oil that had pooled around the filter housing, and I think it's all good now.

Small side note, though: after checking the level and replacing the drain plug, I noticed I had dropped the washer. I shut the car off, and removed the drain plug thinking I could put the washer back on and replace the drain plug without changing the fluid level... wrong move. Apparently, if the car is not running, you lose more fluid. Or at least that's what it seemed like. I lost more in those few seconds than when I drained the excess while running .

18. 01-12-2014 08:30 AM #18
      Looks like I'm going in to replace the o ring. Starting leaking last week and has been 7-8k since service. Was able to reach in and give it a little turn however that didn't stop the drip.

19. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '09 Jetta TDI
      02-11-2014 12:21 PM #19
      I have a similar problem on the wife's 2009 Jetta TDI/DSG. Car has 74k miles on it, and we did the service at the 40k mark. Out of the blue, it started leaking, and it looks like it is from the filter cap.
      This car has been 100% bulletproof, and this is the first issue. (all maint done on schedule, etc.).

My question is. What is the part # of the Filter Cap? If it is around $30, i may get a new cap (i hear they can warp slightly) and a new O-ring. It barely leaked as far as i know (pooled on splash guard and dripped slightly in garage).

So i may pour in a half a liter, replace the items above, and wait until 80k to do a full service at my Indie. He charges about $400, so i won't want to do it too prematurely.

thoughts? Part #'s?
      2009 Audi A4 Avant Prem. +
      2009 Jetta TDI

"It's better to burn out, than to fade away..." - NY

Vehicles
      '10 Volkswagen CC Sport
      02-11-2014 12:33 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by jhboult View Post
      I have a similar problem on the wife's 2009 Jetta TDI/DSG. Car has 74k miles on it, and we did the service at the 40k mark. Out of the blue, it started leaking, and it looks like it is from the filter cap.
      This car has been 100% bulletproof, and this is the first issue. (all maint done on schedule, etc.).

My question is. What is the part # of the Filter Cap? If it is around $30, i may get a new cap (i hear they can warp slightly) and a new O-ring. It barely leaked as far as i know (pooled on splash guard and dripped slightly in garage).

So i may pour in a half a liter, replace the items above, and wait until 80k to do a full service at my Indie. He charges about $400, so i won't want to do it too prematurely.

thoughts? Part #'s?
      Purchase a new cap (comes with o-ring) and add fluid, pull metal drain plug and any excess will drip out. That is all there is to it.

Not sure what the part number is, I'm at work. Hopefully someone can chip in on that.

21. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '09 Jetta TDI
      02-11-2014 12:46 PM #21
      That's what i was thinking. Not ideal, and not exact (i know the DSG is picky about fluid level), but should be fine for another 5-6k miles.

My indie shop said he has seen a lot of warping/cracked housings and has had really good luck with these. http://www.uspmotorsports.com/DSG-Co...r-Housing.html

Might be worth the extra cash . It is really odd that i can't find the part # for the OEM plastic housing.
      2009 Audi A4 Avant Prem. +
      2009 Jetta TDI

"It's better to burn out, than to fade away..." - NY

Vehicles
      Bagged Mk6 GTI
      02-20-2014 01:48 PM #22
      did you lube up your o-ring

23. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI
      03-08-2014 04:47 AM #23
      Just curious...how much (will any?) oil will come out of the filter housing if I open it to replace the o-ring without draining any oil?

I seem to have a leak coming out of the filter housing as well on my 2011 GTI.

24. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI
      04-17-2014 07:18 PM #24
      Well it seems only the oil within the housing...
      My leak seems to have stopped after replacing both the housing and the o ring. I had lost about 250 ml of fluid.

Sent from my SGH-I527M using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      Audi A3 8P 2010 2.0T DSG Tune + Stage 2
      04-26-2014 08:29 PM #25
      same problem... vaico filter and o-ring.

replaced the Oil about 5kkm ago, let the excess drain as required. problem is i have no idea how much of it has leaked so will have to do the whole oil change procedure all over =////

major pita.

Anyway, ordered the USP cool flow filter + housing and OEM o-ring (it comes without it).

Part number is : N91084501 if anyone needs

26. 05-06-2014 02:47 PM #26
      Just had same issue. Had DSG serviced back in Dec. All was fine. Then when doing oil change noticed a wetness on DSG. Noticed fluid on top. Found out that the o ring was flat. Replaced the filter housing and oring with a new set and problems solved.

27. Member
      12-17-2014 01:07 PM #27
      Found out the same problem with my car today, dripping oil from the filter housing Not shure how long it was like that so there can be some oil missing from the gearbox, hope its not fcked up something in there. Try to get it sorted tomorrow or friday with the new o-ring, do i have to put the new housing for shure?
      MY09 VW Passat CC 3.6 4motion DSG /Deep Black Pearl/

12-23-2014 12:18 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by S4BiT View Post
      Found out the same problem with my car today, dripping oil from the filter housing Not shure how long it was like that so there can be some oil missing from the gearbox, hope its not fcked up something in there. Try to get it sorted tomorrow or friday with the new o-ring, do i have to put the new housing for shure?
      Replacing an O ring in a day or two - leak from filter.
      1995 Flash Red GTI 2.8 -<< Not Bagged! - only OEM+ >> I will never be cool like the other kids.
      My new dd is a '10 PWagon, 2.0T, DSG - not cool either. Wife drives the 97 Jetta GT.

12-23-2014 06:05 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Ed52 View Post
      Replacing an O ring in a day or two - leak from filter.
      Replaced the O ring. The filter housing cap leak was due to a flattened O, actually D ring.
      1995 Flash Red GTI 2.8 -<< Not Bagged! - only OEM+ >> I will never be cool like the other kids.
      My new dd is a '10 PWagon, 2.0T, DSG - not cool either. Wife drives the 97 Jetta GT.

30. Member
      12-23-2014 07:16 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Ed52 View Post
      Replaced the O ring. The filter housing cap leak was due to a flattened O, actually D ring.
      Exactly like mine was, flattened O ring, now theres no leaks. While i was there i put the new filter in also and corrected the oil level.
      MY09 VW Passat CC 3.6 4motion DSG /Deep Black Pearl/

31. 12-26-2014 04:58 PM #31
      I have not tried it myself, but I found a setting in: VCDS\transmission controller--- for fluid level check. No idea if its meant for the DSG or not, but thought I would throw that up. Might be a way for people who have had a little fluid leak out to figure out how much they need to put in. Then again, it might have nothing to do with the DSG, and is therefore useless info.

I will say I think we can sum up this problem as this:

The leaking is caused by non factory O-rings for the filter housing cap. If you are not confident that the o-ring you got with your filter is the factory one, inspect the old o-ring, make sure there are no tears or rips, and re-use it. MAKE SURE TO LUBRICATE THE O-RING!!!!!!!! Probably would not hurt to dip your finger in DSG fluid, and smear a thin layer of fluid on the filter housing itself where the o-ring will make contact.

Vehicles
      '10 Volkswagen CC Sport
      01-07-2015 05:16 PM #32
      Just wanted to touch base on this thread after putting another 40k miles on the car after resolving this issue.

Now at 97k miles, I have had no issues with the transmission. This is despite it leaking unknown volumes of fluid over the period of time it was leaking. I find no reason to worry about any damage to the transmission in the event of a slight leak. Just resolve the problem when necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by motoracer47 View Post
      The leaking is caused by non factory O-rings for the filter housing cap. If you are not confident that the o-ring you got with your filter is the factory one, inspect the old o-ring, make sure there are no tears or rips, and re-use it. MAKE SURE TO LUBRICATE THE O-RING!!!!!!!! Probably would not hurt to dip your finger in DSG fluid, and smear a thin layer of fluid on the filter housing itself where the o-ring will make contact.
      I completely agree. If you are concerned about the new o-ring sealing properly, you should have no issues using the old one.
      Quote Originally Posted by FAHRENHEITLAD View Post
      Wow, this turned into a real winner. It's just like all the other posts on the CC forums. Bored middle aged men trying be "hipsters" online.

01-07-2015 11:02 PM #33
      If the O ring external sealing surface is still round, not flattened I would reuse it.

leaky flattened O ring left, new right.