Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Expert challenge - input needed - ohm? voltage? fuel injectors

1. 09-17-2013 10:14 PM #1
      Hi Experts,
      I need some good advice in order to nail down the problem.
      Little background on what's happening with my 2001 VW Passat Wagon 1.8t (AWM)
      I've been driving for a few months with the engine light - error P0171 - Bank 1 system too lean. Since I didn't find anything wrong with any of the hoses I changed the pre-cat O2 sensor hoping that would fix the issue. It did not. I drove for a few months with the light on but without any obvious issues. Last week I saw that the Breather Hose Connector (3-way hose) had a pretty big hole. I changed this connector and while it was off I tried to scrape some of the gunk out of the hoses (could this gunk have something to do with the upcoming issues?). Again, I hoped this may finally keep the engine light from coming back on. Two days later the engine light came back on, three days later the engine light started flashing and the car shudders. Now, I'm getting in addition to P0171 also P0201 - Cylinder 1 Injector Circuit Malfunction and P0300 – Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected along with P0301, P0302, and P0303 for the individual cylinders.
      This is what I did so far
      1. Found oil on the spark plugs, cleaned the area and replaced the spark plugs
      2. Pulled the ignition coils while idling, Cylinder 1 (front) did not cause any change with the coil pulled off.
      3. I swapped the coils around – all coils seem to work (they are only 20k miles old anyway)
      4. Measured voltage and resistance on the fuel injectors. Voltage measured while idling, Ohm with engine off
      Cylinder 1 (front) Cyl 2 Cyl 3 Cyl4
      Voltage 10.3 volt 0.2 0.2 0.2
      Ohm Nothing or infinity 13.2 ohm 13.2 ohm Nothing or infinity

This is what I’m planning to do next
      1. Check the cylinder compression
      2. Replace the valve cover gasket (this certainly needs to be done, but has nothing to do with the above error codes, or? Could the valve cover gasket be the reason for any of the above error codes?)
      3. Replace the fuel injector on Cylinder 1 (Do you guys agree that this one is most likely broken? Any of the others? Or is the issue rather in the wiring or PCM?)
      Any recommendations on getting this fixed?
      Thanks for your help

Vehicles
      1991 GTTI 1.8T Haldex
      09-18-2013 01:05 PM #2
      Does the car run poorly?

Do you have access to vag-com?

I like your method of problem solving but I cant say I have heard of to many stock injectors failing.
      CUSTOM TUNING - IMMO DEFEAT - AWD DYNO - FABRICATION - MACHINED/DESIGNED PARTS

http://WWW.BREAKOUTMOTORSPORTS.COM

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      09-18-2013 01:37 PM #3
      Let's start with an exhaust leak test and intake pressure test per the FAQ. Usually an excellent way to start the diagnostic process.
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

4. 09-18-2013 02:10 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by groggory View Post
      Let's start with an exhaust leak test and intake pressure test per the FAQ. Usually an excellent way to start the diagnostic process.
      This^

5. 09-18-2013 03:24 PM #5
      @ejg3855 - Yes, the car runs badly, it shakes and shudders and the engine light blinks. If you doubt that the injector(s) failed, what do you think it is? Just a blocked injector or does it rather have to do with the electronics controlling the injectors (PCM)? What's the deal with the Vag-Com? Can I just contact these guys, drive there, and they hook up my car?
      @groggory what does "per FAQ" mean? I don't find any information on these test under FAQs

thanks for your answers. please keep them coming. other answers to my questions above in the original post?

6. 09-18-2013 03:32 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by WagonsRock View Post
      @ejg3855 - Yes, the car runs badly, it shakes and shudders and the engine light blinks. If you doubt that the injector(s) failed, what do you think it is? Just a blocked injector or does it rather have to do with the electronics controlling the injectors (PCM)? What's the deal with the Vag-Com? Can I just contact these guys, drive there, and they hook up my car?
      @groggory what does "per FAQ" mean? I don't find any information on these test under FAQs

thanks for your answers. please keep them coming. other answers to my questions above in the original post?
      He means look in the FAQ and learn how to test.

Vehicles
      BT 20v
      09-18-2013 04:29 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by warranty225cpe View Post
      He means look in the FAQ and learn how to test.
      If you're going to be a douche to someone who is just looking for help and is heading in the right direction, at least lend a simple helping hand. Isn't that what this forum is here for?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-VAG-COM-forum
      VAG-COM is a diagnostic tool for vw's. It plugs into the ob port under your dash. Very handy tool.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-Contents-1.8t
      FAQ thread he was referring to.

Good luck.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      09-18-2013 04:32 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by WagonsRock View Post

The FAQ is stickied at the top of this forum.
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

9. 09-18-2013 04:41 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Rumandbass View Post
      If you're going to be a douche to someone who is just looking for help and is heading in the right direction, at least lend a simple helping hand. Isn't that what this forum is here for?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-VAG-COM-forum
      VAG-COM is a diagnostic tool for vw's. It plugs into the ob port under your dash. Very handy tool.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-Contents-1.8t
      FAQ thread he was referring to.

Good luck.
      Wow, sounds like someone needs a hug. Not spoon feeding makes me a douchebag? And you calling me a douchebag makes you ....? Yeah

Vehicles
      BT 20v
      09-18-2013 05:15 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by warranty225cpe View Post
      Wow, sounds like someone needs a hug. Not spoon feeding makes me a douchebag? And you calling me a douchebag makes you ....? Yeah
      Your comment was douchey, I wasn't calling you a douche. I don't know you, so that would be silly.

A nudge in the right direction isn't spoon feeding.

Vehicles
      1989 Helios GLI 1997 Mk3 ****box
      09-18-2013 07:13 PM #11
      See the link in my sig, provides clear and concise directions on how to pressure test your car.

12. 09-18-2013 09:38 PM #12
      Wow. That boost leak tester is pretty wicket. Today i did a compression check on all cylinders. All about 180 psi. Thats good news. Removed the fuel injectors and measured resistance again. The one i suspected to not be working shows infinite ohm, the other three have 12.1 ohm. Does that tell me for certain that the fuel injector is broken? Ordered a new one. Will replace that and change the valve cover gasket next.

Vehicles
      1989 Helios GLI 1997 Mk3 ****box
      09-18-2013 09:42 PM #13
      Could be.

If you want, start the car up, and listen to the injectors with a long screw driver with the tip on them, and the handle on your ear.

That dead one should make no noise, and the others will be a consistent 'click click click'

Call it a Poor Man's Stethoscope

14. 09-19-2013 02:03 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Rumandbass View Post
      Your comment was douchey, I wasn't calling you a douche. I don't know you, so that would be silly.

A nudge in the right direction isn't spoon feeding.
      Read the FAQ to learn how to pressure test isnt "douchey" Its a way to point others in "the right direction" as you called it. I guess Groggory is being "douchey" too since he suggested the FAQ. You misread.., then misspoke. Thats ok. We all have to learn manners somehow.

Vehicles
      1991 GTTI 1.8T Haldex
      09-19-2013 02:37 PM #15
      What ohm meter are you using to check resistance on the injector?

I'd guess the resistance for the injectors is in the bentley and is temperature dependent.

If you disconnect the MAF that should isolate if you have any boost leaks, the ECU will go to speed density calculations when its disconnected. This will tell you quickly if its a boost leak.
      Last edited by ejg3855; 09-19-2013 at 02:39 PM.
      CUSTOM TUNING - IMMO DEFEAT - AWD DYNO - FABRICATION - MACHINED/DESIGNED PARTS

http://WWW.BREAKOUTMOTORSPORTS.COM

16. 09-19-2013 09:42 PM #16
      I don't have access to a bentley manual. Do you guys think those injectors can be hooked up to 12 volt to clean them? Asking because they had only about 10volt on them in the engine. I know now for sure that the one injector is busted. How high do you think my chances are that replacing this faulty injector will take car of P0171, P0201 and P0300?