Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Hatch Rattle fixed

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1996 Toyota Camry Coupe V6, 1981 VW Rabbit Pick-up Diesel, 2013 VW Beetle Turbo DSG SSN
      10-05-2013 08:18 PM #1
      my 2013 turbo beetle has had a hatch rattle since day one. Dealer was unable to fix it. Ive tried everything from lubing hatch seal, lubing hatch, tightening door stops, lubing hatch struts, and the only thing that endures is removing the passenger hatch strut.

NOW: I thought about it for a long time.....The lubrication eventually gets pushed around from the metal balls of the hatch strut assembly on the body. I injected COPPER PLUS rtv silicone into the ball sockets because it will harden but still remain workable--and it also stays in the socket. I also then used thin 3M adhesive foam stripping in a 20 feet roll (its 1/2 inch thick) I applied this along the entire perimeter of the hatch's metal on the hatch where it would meet with the rubber seal. The foam stripping only touches the rubber seal when closed and still makes weathertite seal. It makes closing it a little more stiff but it can be done with habbit.

What ive deduced is that the factory seal just isnt beefy enough and the tolerance when the hatch is closed is too great. This combined with the pressure applied by the strut when closed causes the hatch to rattle. When removing the hatch strut, the dead weight of the hatch keeps it more securely in place. This, combined with poor lubrication and the right temperature, the hatch seal will be more plyable and fexible causing even more movement.

Since doing this procedure, the foam stripping has compressed slightly and it makes the closing more like normal.

NO MORE NOISE, NO MORE HATCH RATTLE, NO MORE GRIEF!!!!

I will try to get some pictures loaded, or PM me.

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1996 Toyota Camry Coupe V6, 1981 VW Rabbit Pick-up Diesel, 2013 VW Beetle Turbo DSG SSN
      10-05-2013 08:19 PM #2
      THE 3m foam stripping is 1/2 inch wide and only 1/4 inch thick

3. 10-06-2013 05:41 AM #3
      can you please post some pics?