Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Just picked this up from De Kalb

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Lots of air cooled/97 GTI VR6
      10-06-2013 10:22 AM #1
      So, my ex had a 96 gti VR6. That car was a nightmare! I worked on it for what seemed like forever and it never did end up being done.

Soooooo, I went and bought my own. a 97.

Any dip in the road results in my brand new tires...because there was nothing left of the ones on it when I bought the car....rubbing on my fenders and the smell of burnt rubber for awhile.

But the car came with some goodies

It has 208K on it and I couldn't find anything timing chain related in the pile of receipts.

This, although somewhat troubling....doesn't concern me much, because there isn't much ticking, etc to indicate an issue with the chains, tensioners, or guides.

I drove it from chicago to mineapolis and back already and in 8 hours of driving it about empties the coolant reservoir, but I can't find any leaks. I don't THINK it smokes out the exhaust, but when I get on it, I can definitely smell something that is likely burning coolant. I'm going to pull the plugs tomorrow and see how they look. Head gasket isn't that big of a job.

I love this car, but I need to be able to hit bumps and turn sharply without destroying my tires. The amount of body roll tells me it needs new suspension all around. Any advice on that?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      Lots of air cooled/97 GTI VR6
      10-06-2013 05:49 PM #2
      Just took some actual photos of it today. Waiting for the trash talk about how it's a monster truck =P

Vehicles
      2009 vw jetta se, 2014 mazda cx-5 sport, 07 suzuki boulevard s50
      10-16-2013 08:47 AM #3
      my guess about the rubbing tires is the oversized aurdi rims on it..
      im not 100% but it looks to be on stock springs...and with the age/mileage they cold be sagging and with possible old struts it wouldnt help any...

personally i'd start by #1 checking to see if the fenders are rolled...if theyre not that's the only thing that could be rubbing and that can either fix or alleviate the problem...

#2 getting some smaller wheels...(personally i dont like those audi ones...but that's just me...keep them if you like them)...you could sell those wheels/tires after to get yourself some $ back

and #3 replacing the struts and springs(if it hasn't been done in your stack of receipts)...but since it's 16 years old and seen its fair share of road use....honestly i'd do them anyway and go from there if there's still issues on that end...and dont forget to remove the spring helpers...

it's got those helpers in there(hopefully only to hold it up for the larger wheels)...but could also be they were sagging(and adding the larger wheels to boot) to reduce rubbing instead of

don't forget to look for other worn suspension parts in the process that may help with any future plans...

i like the car, good luck and hope it goes well...
      2009 Jetta S 5-Speed Candy White YETI - injen CAI - st coilovers @ 24.3" FTG - front grille chromes plastidipped white - steel wheels painted gloss white - thule roof rack - 4" antenna

Vehicles
      '98 Widebody Jetta, '91 16VT Jetta Coupe, '04 Passat 4Motion Wagon
      10-21-2013 01:21 PM #4
      I agree, those wheels and tires are WAY too big for the car. They look like 17's or 18's but the tires look like they're a 45 series. The biggest you should go on a MK3 running 17's should be a 40 series. Running wheels and tires that are too big for the car is going to screw up your MPG and your speedo. you want to try and keep everything to as close to original rolling diameter as possible. So, the original wheels would have been 15's with 205/50 tires, if you up-sized to 16's you would want to drop to a 45 series, 17's to a 40 series, 18's (which I would not recommend) a 35 series.