Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How do you push back caliper pistons to fit new brake pads?

1. 12-29-2002 02:39 AM #1
      I can't push back the pistons in the caliper to fit the new thicker brake pads. Is there a release or a screw to do this, because most other cars can be pushed back easily. Please help!!

2. 12-29-2002 02:54 AM #2
      i know on the rears you need this

3. 12-29-2002 04:14 AM #3
      thanks! i also just found this in the GTIVR6 forum. damn thing is $60.

4. 12-29-2002 10:57 AM #4
      can't you use a c-clamp? I haven't done it yet on my gti but that's how I did it on my 97 jetta.

5. 12-29-2002 08:37 PM #5
      If you have Auto Zone stores near you, they'll loan you a universal version of that Schley tool for free. Go to store, give deposit, borrow tool, return tool, get back deposit.

The turning of the piston is key to compressing it without caliper damage, and the tool forces the proper motion.

[Modified by ksnh, 7:41 PM 12-29-2002]

Vehicles
      57 oval, 2010 CC 6speed
      12-29-2002 08:43 PM #6
      quote:
      If you have Auto Zone stores near you, they'll loan you a universal version of that Schley tool for free. Go to store, give deposit, borrow tool, return tool, get back deposit.

The turning of the piston is key to compressing it without caliper damage, and the tool forces the proper motion.

yup thats how i did it, auto zone charge me $35 and gave them back after i returned the tool, is a 15 minute job ones u have the tool

Bitches !!

7. 12-30-2002 04:21 PM #7
      Where can you buy this tool? I called VW and they told me that only dealers can buy this tool. I don't mind spending the $60, but I can't even find a retailer for this thing.

8. 12-30-2002 04:28 PM #8
      you just have to rotate the piston clockwise while you push,,,i assume you already took the cover off of the resivoir????

9. 12-30-2002 04:48 PM #9
      quote:
      you just have to rotate the piston clockwise while you push,,,i assume you already took the cover off of the resivoir????

It's always better to open the bleed valves and dump the excess fluid, rather than let it go back up the lines into the system. If there are any air bubbles or contamination near the seals (as seals are never perfectly perfect), when you keep the valves closed you are just pushing the contaminents back into the main system. And pushing the pistons back is much harder to boot as you are trying to force liquid into small lines, back the way it came, through the bleed-back holes in the master cylinder.

Open the bleed valves and dump the excess. You'll be happier in the long run. Cheers.

Vehicles
      vaudi
      12-30-2002 04:50 PM #10
      you need the tool...without it...it's a no win situation.....some dealerships or pep boys type places will rent tools by the hour for relatively cheap....look into that if you don't want to buy the tool right now.

Vehicles
      1999 Jeep Wrangler & 2011 John Cooper Works MINI Hardtop
      12-30-2002 05:53 PM #11
      The local NAPA had a universal tool for about $7 that did the trick.
      Gone, but not forgotten: ’81 Audi 4000 5+5; ’84 Audi Coupé GT; ’02 GTI 1.8T; ’03 20th Anniversary GTI; ’04 R32

12. 12-30-2002 06:22 PM #12
      quote:

It's always better to open the bleed valves and dump the excess fluid, rather than let it go back up the lines into the system. If there are any air bubbles or contamination near the seals (as seals are never perfectly perfect), when you keep the valves closed you are just pushing the contaminents back into the main system. And pushing the pistons back is much harder to boot as you are trying to force liquid into small lines, back the way it came, through the bleed-back holes in the master cylinder.

Open the bleed valves and dump the excess. You'll be happier in the long run. Cheers.

And not only is it harder, the contamination your pushing back through could damage your ABS. And then you'd have a problem on your hands.