Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oem hid housing w/ hid retrofit install (lots of pics)

1. 01-04-2003 07:24 PM #1
      I recently got the oem HID housings w/ no HID bulbs or ballasts. In order to install the retofit HID kit, i needed to rewire everything in the harness itself. As HID retrofits go, they use the power and ground from the low beams. I first decided that i needed rewire the 12-pin harness to the 10-pin harness that is found on the stock cars w/out HID's. I did not want to use the auto leveling motor since I would need more parts and it's not something that I absolutely need.

On the 12-pin harness:

1. Signal, city lights, and low beam use the same ground.
      2. The high beam ground is connected to connected to the same ground as the auto leveling motor.
      3. I cut off all 3 auto leveling motor wires and tied them up.

On the 10-pin harness:
      1. I dremeled off the nub on top of the 10 pin plug in order to put it into the location of the 12-pin plug (refer to picture with the yellow arrow)

This is how the wiring went from 12-pin to 10-pin:

Low beam -> Low beam
      High beam -> High Beam
      Blinker -> Position light
      City Light -> Blinker
      Low beam ground/Blinker ground/City Light ground -> Low beam ground
      High beam ground -> Blinker ground

The city light was supposed to hook up to the position light. But after testing it out, I found that the city light would blink if it was wired this way. So, I switched the city light to the connected to the blinker and it worked perfectly. The city light lights up when the headlights or parking lights turn on, and the blinker blinks.

As you can see in the picture to the red arrow, these connections are 2 low's and 2 grounds that go from the harness, to the ballast, then inside the housing to the ignitor, and then to the bulb.

I cut off all of the wires to this plug and tapped the low beam wire of the harness to the (+) wire coming from the battery that relays power to MY ballast; to the bulb. I tapped the ground in the same fashion. Think of it as the HID retrofit where you just tap the low beam and ground in order to get the signal..... just like on the HID retrofits

In order to get the low beam wire and ground out of the housing to the engine bay, I dremeled two holes to fit both wires through the cover and out the back. This was to relay the power to draw it from the battery to ignite the HID's. (refer to picture with green arrow)

Once that was done, I was finished the wiring and how all i need to do was to fit my HID bulb in there. I electrical taped the actual HID bulb into the location where the actual bulb is supposed to be. I electrical taped it beacuse I needed to make sure that i would be able to change the bulb if needed, so i didnt use JB Weld even though i would have liked to.

In order to get the thick HID bulb wire through the cover, i dremeled a notch the size and shape of the wire to run out the bottom.

Now, I was done and ready to install. I was able to plug in my STOCK harness into the OEM HID housing and everything worked perfectly and flawlessly.

Here are the pics.

This is of the stock harness into the cover of the HID, the 12-pin being taken out

Here are pictures of what I actually had before when i converted my stock headlights to projectors:

And here is a picture of what the car looks like now:

[Modified by mrdejected, 6:39 PM 2-23-2003]

2. 01-04-2003 07:39 PM #2

nice work yo..!! and look a Jetta Hatchback and a Jetta Sedan.. niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.. hehe..

[Modified by mrdejected, 4:27 PM 1-4-2003][/QUOTE]

3. 01-04-2003 07:42 PM #3
      Honestly, I didn't even pay attention to all the technical wiring stuff I just scrolled down to the pic. I'd have to say the HID's look sweet, as does your car with the Montes.

4. Banned
      01-04-2003 08:07 PM #4
      Thats pretty much exactly what I had to do with mine. The Ballasts on my second set didnt'work, but had the bulbs, so i did the same thing you did with running the thick wire into the housinds. I had the ballast velcroed to the bottom also till I got my alamo pipes and it no longer fit on the passengerside like that.

Oddly enough I will also be building projector lights similar to yours for my turbo bunny project. I am gonna get the clear 7" round lights and put projector assemblies in them so I can run HIDs (I hate HIDs off reflectors) in the bunny. I have a few sets of S4 and H4 projectors housings from doing euro light swaps.

5. 01-04-2003 08:36 PM #5
      Very interesting. Good work!

6. 01-04-2003 08:49 PM #6
      Did you get these housings from Performance Cafe on ebay?
      2013 bmw 335i m-sport.mods
      2011 bmw 135i m-sport.mods
      2007 bmw 335i sport.mods
      2006 audi a3.loaded.mods
      1969 barracuda.drag spec.

7. 01-04-2003 10:25 PM #7
      yes

Vehicles
      13 Passat TDI SEL, 09 Routan SEL, 01 Jetta GLX VR6,
      01-04-2003 10:52 PM #8
      looks great...but when did you get rid of your LB's and pick up the Monte's?

9. 01-04-2003 10:56 PM #9
      quote:
      looks great...but when did you get rid of your LB's and pick up the Monte's?

hehe i actually did that this morning with a fellow dubber....

10. 01-05-2003 07:33 AM #10
      are the housing leveled properly or did you have a problem directing the beam at all? thanks
      2007 bmw 335i sport.mods
      2006 audi a3.loaded.mods

11. 01-05-2003 08:09 AM #11
      @ Mike

U GOT MY NO. 1 JETTA!

ONLY THING U NEED ARE CHROME MIRROR COVERS IMHO!

CAR IS PERFECT! OMG

BTW, HOWS YOUR COLOUR CALLED?

[Modified by Mogul2018, 1:17 PM 1-5-2003]

12. 01-05-2003 02:25 PM #12
      bump up da jam bump it up bump it!

13. 01-05-2003 02:48 PM #13
      quote:
      are the housing leveled properly or did you have a problem directing the beam at all? thanks

one of them is leveled properly... the other one is a different story. the part that connects to the actual projector to adjust and level came loose and im still waiting to find out exaclty how im going to put it back together so that it will be aimed properly. it's not too bad right now.... and plus i dont drive my car during the week.... only on weekends so.. im not too worried about using the headlights

01-05-2003 02:48 PM #14
      quote:

Galactic blue....is that what u meant?????

15. 01-05-2003 02:49 PM #15
      quote:
      @ Mike

U GOT MY NO. 1 JETTA!

ONLY THING U NEED ARE CHROME MIRROR COVERS IMHO!

CAR IS PERFECT! OMG

[Modified by Mogul2018, 1:17 PM 1-5-2003]

chrome mirrors are nice but not really my style... kinda wanna just keep it the way it is... and im hoping to finish A LOT of my car by my birthday which is in april...

oh yea.. the color is galactic blue........ and hopefully one day it will be a yellow of some sort

16. Member
      Vehicles
      02' JTI 337 RIP, 03' GTI VR6
      01-05-2003 03:20 PM #16
      BUMP! for ya Mike....nice wheels man...where did you get em? LOL looks good

17. 01-05-2003 03:22 PM #17
      Wanna paint it yellow?

But do u have any bigger hi res pics of your ride?

18. 01-05-2003 03:23 PM #18
      quote:
      BUMP! for ya Mike....nice wheels man...where did you get em? LOL looks good

same place you got your long beaches MUAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA

19. Member
      Vehicles
      01-05-2003 03:28 PM #19
      Oh, Costco? They give good prices huh?

20. 01-05-2003 03:36 PM #20
      quote:
      Oh, Costco? They give good prices huh?

afterwards, i went to emotiongarage... THEY JUST GOT A TIRE MACHINE AND BALANCER!!!!! i cant believe i didnt know about it!!! then we could have done it for free!!!

21. 01-05-2003 03:37 PM #21
      quote:
      Wanna paint it yellow?

But do u have any bigger hi res pics of your ride?

sorry not as of right now.... i dont have time to take my car out... it's sitting in the parking lot chillin.... and today is grocery shopping day

22. Member
      Vehicles
      01-05-2003 03:53 PM #22
      yea we could have saved $ 36.00 that's gas money man! LOL its cool, hit me up when your in the area

[Modified by BLITZ337, 8:55 PM 1-5-2003]

23. 01-05-2003 06:28 PM #23
      I am having similar problems...my driver side points to the ground and wont lift any further as the leveler is broken...I held it up as high as I could with some zip-ties..I need to take it apart to do some rearranging as it is a bit dangerous driving at night on the freeway next to a wall on the fast lane...can't see too clear where the wall turns. But otherwise I love the lights.
      2007 bmw 335i sport.mods
      2006 audi a3.loaded.mods

24. 01-05-2003 07:39 PM #24
      quote:
      I am having similar problems...my driver side points to the ground and wont lift any further as the leveler is broken...I held it up as high as I could with some zip-ties..I need to take it apart to do some rearranging as it is a bit dangerous driving at night on the freeway next to a wall on the fast lane...can't see too clear where the wall turns. But otherwise I love the lights.

this is what i did for now.... on the bottom left screw nearest to the outside, put some washers there.. i put A LOT of them for now.. since that's all i can basically do until i get some help and JBWeld the sucker back together

Vehicles
      07 Tomos Sprint
      01-05-2003 07:44 PM #25
      looks very good, i'll be doing the same thing soon, i need the housings

26. 01-06-2003 02:22 AM #26
      do u guys know where to buy the projector that put on the oem headlight?

27. 01-06-2003 02:28 AM #27
      quote:
      do u guys know where to buy the projector that put on the oem headlight?

which projector? the oem hid or oem halogens?

the oem hid projector you cannot buy seperately.

the oem halogen.. retrofitted with a projector you can get online from ebay or buy a hella 90mm prjector. that one i got from a bmw off of ebay for 10 bucks ... (a steal)

you can get them from audi's, vw's, bmws, even using the lexus reflector that uses the HID's....

but i would get a bmw or audi just cause for my own personal reference... you might need to modify the cutoff shield as well... since mines was for a halogen, they didnt cut off all of it... so i blocked off all of the light that would shine out the top of the projector...

other than that.. it's pretty simple.. and you gotta be creative and be able to take time to do it... it took me about a week straight to get it the way i wanted it... and LOTS of dremel cutting bits

28. 01-06-2003 04:17 PM #28
      do u still need the oem halogen headlight with the projector still, can u seel it to me?

29. 01-06-2003 05:28 PM #29
      actually... i wouldnt buy them. ive torn them up quite a bit for the retrofit and to get it back to working order and to make sure they are 100% absolutely secure, as well as 100% on the correct beam angle.... like at least 2 weeks straight of working on it is going to be needed. also, the covers for the back side are gone...

they are pretty much junk except for the projectors themselves, but cannot be taken out of the headlight.....unless torn apart (lots of jbweld)

i suggest getting a set off of ebay or some wrecked bmw in a junk yard to get what you need.

when i first started it, i considered using integra projector lights.. i dont know how to the beam cutoff shield is in that.. but it was always a possibility.... especially since i knew that i could do it somehow

good luck if you are trying to do it

30. 01-07-2003 03:14 PM #30
      how much is the OEM HID housing? Is it really worth it, or can I just buy E-codes and do a HID conversion?
      TIA

31. 01-07-2003 04:01 PM #31
      quote:
      how much is the OEM HID housing? Is it really worth it, or can I just buy E-codes and do a HID conversion?
      TIA

it is totally worth getting the projectors.. which is why i retrofitted my headlights first.... the beam cut off is great... the projectors are designed for the HID's, which will give you a nice cut-off above which there is no light. This means that on-coming traffic will not get any glare. You also get a nicely and evenly spread beam of light onto the road making better use of the HID light output.

you definitely wont get as much glare with the e-codes w/HID's than n/a spec headlights w/hid's

here is a pic of the oem HID beam pattern:

32. 01-07-2003 04:15 PM #32
      how much and from whom?
      thanks alot! good info.

33. 01-07-2003 04:24 PM #33
      quote:
      how much and from whom?
      thanks alot! good info.

that's a question a lot of people ask because everyone wants the housings.. but the housings are hard to find... the best way to get cheap oem hids is to go on ebay.de.... ive spoken to quite a few that list the headlights and they are all willing to ship... even people that were selling the ecodes were willing to ship their lights.....

i just used babelfish to communicate since i dont speaker german

34. 01-07-2003 04:31 PM #34
      time to paint your rear view mirror black

love your car! (it's my wallpaper until i finish with mine )

35. 09-29-2006 10:40 AM #35
      booo. pics are no more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast