Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Double-Din Monsoon Aftermarket Amp+Sub(s) Install Guide

1. 06-25-2003 09:13 PM #106
      Try Radio Shack that's where I picked mine up. It's where all the relays and switchs are.

2. 06-27-2003 01:44 AM #107
      Q my lights dim when i listen to stereo too loud ????
      MK 4 gti 1.8T

3. 07-01-2003 11:03 AM #108
      get a capacitor

4. 07-01-2003 03:25 PM #109
      Has anyone figured out the Remote wire on the Monsoon Amp harness?

5. 07-03-2003 04:02 PM #110
      i have a double din NON-monsoon system in a 2k3 Golf.
      i don't have that same grey harness in the rear. how will i tap into the stereo, without a lot of modification to the wiring?

6. 07-05-2003 12:49 AM #111
      Does the Monsoon HU also have the yellow socket at the back?
      If so, you can use a Blaupunkt Adapter to get two pairs of line
      outs and a remote wire from the HU. I know that the single
      din HU carries this socket. Can someone check this out?
      Makes the install much easier once you have the adapter. I
      know its not available from crutchfield - works with Blau and OEM
      VW Single din HU so far.

7. 07-05-2003 01:01 PM #112
      hi.
      will the blaupunkt adapter you are talking about with the 2 sets of rca's and a remote wire work on the monsoon sound system in my 2002 gti 1.8t?

i am about to connect my system by tapping into the rear speakers as suggested in the initial diagram at the beginning of this thread.

but it seems like this blaupunkt solution is alot easier.

jp

8. 07-05-2003 09:14 PM #113
      i have everything connected and it's not working amp turns on i have power but no sound but i do hear a funny sound from the amp like a low buzzz or something i check the ground OK power OK lines comming off the amp to the converter what the hell ...

9. 07-06-2003 07:32 PM #114
      I'm trying to find out if the monsoon HU has the socket for the Blau adapter.
      Its a yellow socket at the back of the HU. If anyone can check it would help
      out a bunch of folks. Thanks.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
      07-06-2003 10:02 PM #115
      Ok so I'm trying to do this on a Passat and I'm having some trouble w/the remote switch. The grey wire is not giving me any juice at all. The grey wire isn't even attached to a pin. I was however able to get a signal from the purple wire - however the amp is now on constantly and won't turn off. Is this the wrong wire?

11. 07-07-2003 04:55 PM #116
      Quote, originally posted by Srexy »
      Ok so I'm trying to do this on a Passat and I'm having some trouble w/the remote switch. The grey wire is not giving me any juice at all. The grey wire isn't even attached to a pin. I was however able to get a signal from the purple wire - however the amp is now on constantly and won't turn off. Is this the wrong wire?

You will have to use a multimeter to check which wire powers up with a +12v
      when the radio is on. I assume you are tapping into the CD changer wiring.

12. 07-07-2003 10:00 PM #117
      The Blaupunkt adapter does work with monsoon head units. It plugs in where
      the yellow dummy plug sits and provides the line-outs and remote.

I just got done wiring my '01 Wolfsburg and I have to say the install instructions
      are totally off colorwise. Maybe those colors are fine for '02s and '03s and
      maybe some '01s but my Wolfsburg has no "grey adapter" and the closest
      color adapter (black) doesn't have these:

Quote »
      Right Rear Positive = Brown
      Right Rear Negative = Black (right under the brown wire)
      Left Rear Positive = White
      Left Rear Negative = Black (right under the white wire)

So what's the deal? I doubt VWOA did something special with the wolfsburg's
      wiring. Unless I can get updated colors for the wires, I'm gonna wait on
      my blaupunkt adapters to come in. Getting a bunch.

I would still like to know what's up with the wire colors though.

13. 07-07-2003 10:56 PM #118
      hi Irie18turbo.

thanks for hooking me up with the blaupunkt adapter info.

i do have one question.... will this adapter, if plugged into a amp and sub actually sound better with monsoon system than my current setup... which is my amp tapping into rear speaker lines for signal?

here is the deal. my car is a lease with 18 months left on it... and i have yet to decide if i am keeping it after the lease it up... it's mint with 14k miles 2002 leather, sunroof 17's, monsoon, etc.

i am seriously contemplating yanking the entire monsoon system and replacing it with all boston component speakers and a 10 inch boston sub in a tight sealed box, 2 alpine amps, and an alpine head unit.

the only problem i have with this install of amp and sub.... is this.... my current monsoon system actually sounds better without the addition of the amp and sub. the problem with this line level install is this.... you are tapping into a full signal that, when adjusted via the bass knob on the HU, totally screws with the sound clarity because it removes the necessary signals from reaching the monsoon speakers... and, in fact, removes some of the signal from reaching the bass amp.

this is a terrible way of adding a sub to the system.... you have to adjust your bass, mid, and treble for each and every cd.... not to mention the fader.

i am yanking this setup due to the lack of control and the overall a$$ sound it has created in my otherwise decent stock system.

my new theory on all of this.... i am either going to deal with what i have in the car (which is not that bad) or yank it all in favor of super high end quality stuff (i.e boston, etc)

i will get up with you if i need the adapter.

peace-out

Modified by jpgti18t at 3:59 AM 7-8-2003

14. 07-07-2003 11:13 PM #119
      thanks for that great info on the blau stuff. where can i get it tho, since crutchfield doesn't carry it?

15. 07-08-2003 12:42 AM #120
      Quote, originally posted by wurz »
      thanks for that great info on the blau stuff. where can i get it tho, since crutchfield doesn't carry it?

I'm getting some in a couple days. By friday I should have em.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
      07-08-2003 10:53 AM #121
      Quote, originally posted by Irie18Turbo »

You will have to use a multimeter to check which wire powers up with a +12v
      when the radio is on. I assume you are tapping into the CD changer wiring.

OK - so forgive me for my ignorance but is this a constant current or just a one-time pop to let the amp/changer know that the h/u is online? I realize that I'm going to have to look for a 12v current that comes on when the h/u is switched on, but should it stay on?

17. 07-08-2003 01:33 PM #122
      Quote, originally posted by Srexy »

OK - so forgive me for my ignorance but is this a constant current or just a one-time pop to let the amp/changer know that the h/u is online? I realize that I'm going to have to look for a 12v current that comes on when the h/u is switched on, but should it stay on?

Should stay on once HU is on.

18. 07-10-2003 06:24 PM #123
      Since someone is kind enough to put up tutorials...could someone else be just as kind as to put or suggest a similiar tutorial for installing subs and amps in an Audi A4 96? So generous will he be!
      Big ups

19. 07-11-2003 11:03 PM #124
      hey, have those adaptors come in yet? i'm gonna need one soon.

or, can you just give me the part number?

20. 07-12-2003 01:21 PM #125
      Quote, originally posted by wurz »
      hey, have those adaptors come in yet? i'm gonna need one soon.

or, can you just give me the part number?

Adapters not in yet. Any day now. Sorry.
      Will update as soon as they get here.

21. 07-15-2003 03:35 PM #126
      Quote, originally posted by Irie18Turbo »
      The Blaupunkt adapter does work with monsoon head units. It plugs in where
      the yellow dummy plug sits and provides the line-outs and remote.

Are you sure about this? It has been my understanding that the adapter only works with single-din non-mosoon head units. I hope I'm wrong because I could use this thing on my 2002 Passat w double-din monsoon

22. 07-15-2003 09:52 PM #127
      02 GTI double-din Monsoon does anyone know where the rear amp is at.
      Thanks for your help!

23. 07-16-2003 03:03 AM #128
      dude.
      are you joking?
      how could you buy a car and not know where stuff is?
      or worse, how could the salesman get away without telling you.
      sorry, but i'm just being real.
      anyhow.

--open hatchback
      --insert head
      --turn head to left side of trunk area.
      --see left side panel with two (2) knobs
      --open side panel via two (2) twist knobs
      --look at amp.
      --pull head out of car.
      --say to yourself. "wow, that is a clever place to put it"
      --hooray VW

jp

24. 07-16-2003 03:31 AM #129
      Does anyone have the schematics for the non monsoon system to hook up the LOC should I go with the rear speakers or to the back of the HU.

Vehicles
      2011 Kink Gap Xl, 2000 Haro Blammo,'08 Gti
      07-18-2003 12:58 AM #130
      nice

26. 07-19-2003 02:30 PM #131
      Quote, originally posted by jpgti18t »
      hi Irie18turbo.

thanks for hooking me up with the blaupunkt adapter info.

i do have one question.... will this adapter, if plugged into a amp and sub actually sound better with monsoon system than my current setup... which is my amp tapping into rear speaker lines for signal?

here is the deal. my car is a lease with 18 months left on it... and i have yet to decide if i am keeping it after the lease it up... it's mint with 14k miles 2002 leather, sunroof 17's, monsoon, etc.

i am seriously contemplating yanking the entire monsoon system and replacing it with all boston component speakers and a 10 inch boston sub in a tight sealed box, 2 alpine amps, and an alpine head unit.

the only problem i have with this install of amp and sub.... is this.... my current monsoon system actually sounds better without the addition of the amp and sub. the problem with this line level install is this.... you are tapping into a full signal that, when adjusted via the bass knob on the HU, totally screws with the sound clarity because it removes the necessary signals from reaching the monsoon speakers... and, in fact, removes some of the signal from reaching the bass amp.

this is a terrible way of adding a sub to the system.... you have to adjust your bass, mid, and treble for each and every cd.... not to mention the fader.

i am yanking this setup due to the lack of control and the overall a$$ sound it has created in my otherwise decent stock system.

my new theory on all of this.... i am either going to deal with what i have in the car (which is not that bad) or yank it all in favor of super high end quality stuff (i.e boston, etc)

i will get up with you if i need the adapter.

peace-out

Modified by jpgti18t at 3:59 AM 7-8-2003

I get you. I think your install was done wrong. Two ways of doing it..
      Tapping into the line-level signals going to the monsoon for the sub
      amp or tapping into the speaker level inputs with an adjustable high
      to low converter. That signal sent to the sub amp should be of the correct
      impedance. Note that the gain on the amp has to be adjusted also to
      match the signal level.

Recommended that you crank up the volume 3/4 with the gain turned
      down. Adjust gain on sub amp till it just starts to distort.. then back off.
      You should be good there.

27. 07-19-2003 02:37 PM #132
      Quote, originally posted by red5sp1.8T »

Are you sure about this? It has been my understanding that the adapter only works with single-din non-mosoon head units. I hope I'm wrong because I could use this thing on my 2002 Passat w double-din monsoon

I have the schematic of the monsoon head unit to prove it.
      It is possible that the monsoon's amp may be plugged in there.
      In that case the adapter wouldn't work. You'd just need to tap into
      the low outputs to the monsoon amp from the yellow socket.

That's a pretty simple install..

Modified by Irie18Turbo at 4:43 PM 7-25-2003

28. 07-22-2003 06:08 PM #133
      i want to install an aftermarket radio in my '03 Jetta. i have the monsoon. do you know if you need to have another harness to bypass the monsoon amp if i simply want to push my speakers off of the new radio i want to install. wow, long sentence. i apologize if this topic has been covered. i am in the process of finding the information, but i haven't been lucky yet. the radio is a 200 ( 50 x 4 into 4 ohms) Watt amp, so i figured it would sound more powerful than the monsoon amp. but, i am not sure what the ohms are on the speakers. any information would be great.

thanks,
      abe...

29. 07-23-2003 05:03 PM #134
      Quote, originally posted by red5sp1.8T »

I aint I confirmed that the adapter works with the Single DIN
      Monsoon & Non-Monsoon
      so far. Did it myself. As suspected the amp takes
      its input from the brown adapter on that system and had the yellow adapter
      labelled as line out for external amp. Just need to confirm it wired similarly on
      double din monsoon.

How hard is it for someone to slide their radio to check? Will make all these
      self installs much easier.

Modified by Irie18Turbo at 5:05 PM 7-23-2003

30. 07-24-2003 12:31 AM #135
      ok guys, i've followed every step in that tutorial, easy and clean install. except- i am having more trouble figuring out how to connect this relay than it took me to find that damn grommit! i bought the relay, but am clueless as to how to connect it... simple things confuse me. help?

31. 07-24-2003 12:35 AM #136
      Forget the relay. Don't need it.

32. 07-26-2003 11:37 AM #137
      I have a 2002 Jetta monsoon system....i'm going to follow this tutorial, but i need to figure out how to remove the damn bracket to the monsoon amp at the top of my trunk! i cant access the wires i need to get to...has anyone had success with this?

07-27-2003 01:07 PM #138
      Ok... I hooked up the LOC behind the HU, and followed the wiring diagram. I installed the amp in the trunk with the remote turn on coming from the cd changer control. The amp turns on when it should, but I get no sound out of it. I know it works, it was in my last car. I've played with all the gains, and still nothing except a little "thud" when it turns on and off. Where am I losing the signal???

34. 07-28-2003 12:21 AM #139
      Ok, i have an older (6-7 years) Kenwood combo amp/sub that sounds pretty damn good in a car this sized, my question is about the turn on circuit. Is the connector on my amp labeled "P.Con" what i connect to the grey wire from the changer harness/power on relay?

Thanks
      Eric

35. 07-30-2003 05:39 PM #140
      Quote, originally posted by Skeyelab »
      Ok, i have an older (6-7 years) Kenwood combo amp/sub that sounds pretty damn good in a car this sized, my question is about the turn on circuit. Is the connector on my amp labeled "P.Con" what i connect to the grey wire from the changer harness/power on relay?

Thanks
      Eric

yeah...that is where you would connect it

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast