VWVortex.com - The Official Double-Din Monsoon Aftermarket Amp+Sub(s) Install Guide
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Double-Din Monsoon Aftermarket Amp+Sub(s) Install Guide

1. 12-20-2005 04:03 PM #451
      Your guide was fabulous for me. I was able to run my entire system. I have one problem though. My amp goes on and off. I know that it is not my amp over heating b/c I got my friend to lend me his and it acts the same way as mine. I have a 04 jetta w/o monsoon and w/o the cd changer. I think it is my remote that is the problem. I ran my remote to the fuse box and basically stuck it in the front of fuse 31's hole. I was unsure of what you meant by "add a circuit"? Do you have any suggestions. Have any other fuse's been discussed before as options that the remote can be run into?

Annapolis, MD
      2010 Jetta TDI, 2012 Golf R
      12-20-2005 05:15 PM #452
      I am gonna be tearing into my .:R this weekend and was wondering if there were any differences in wire color b/t the original thread and an '04 2xdin harness. Any help is welcome.

3. 12-21-2005 01:14 AM #453
      Quote, originally posted by perpetualnewb »
      ive read all 13 pages and coulnt find an answer to my question although i saw it asked a couple of times.
      my car is a 99 mk4 2.0 in the spot where everyone elses grommet is, i have a throttle cable and as far as i can tell its not gonna go thru there. or at least shouldnt. where is a place i can put mine thru please.
      maybe this can get ammended to your original post so we 2.0 owners dont pull out all our hair
      plus its 25 degrees outside and i think that sucks [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG]

take a drill and a bit (being ridiculously careful to what's behind the firewall where you are drilling, make a nice clean ole in your firewall in an inconspicuous place, put a rubber grommet on your power wire you are wanting to run, and feed it through making sure to get the grommet in there and seal it up. Make sure you only drill big enough to fit the grommet, and make sure the inner diameter of the grommet is the same as the outter diameter of the power wire. This way, they are snug, and form a seal keeping stuff out of your car.

4. 12-23-2005 09:03 PM #454
      Ok. So I went back over the forum posts and I finally realized that the "add-a-circuit" referred to in the DIY documentation referred to the HHA part that you actually purchase from your auto store . Works perfect now. Thanks all for you support to my concern - not through post reply but through individual prayers...they worked wonderfully! [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG]

5. 01-09-2006 02:19 AM #455
      Thank you for this write up! I got my monsoon deck to work with my 10 inch sub. WOOT!
      -11 VW GTI - Carbon Steal, DSG, Autobahn package
      -93 FD - BNRs on Methanol - Red
      -93 FD - 20B gt42 - Black
      -70 Fitchel & Sachs km48 mowerbike 160cc
      -09 Yamaha R1 Raven

Dublin, CA
      2009 Cobalt SS
      01-16-2006 02:29 AM #456
      Okay...getting ready to do all this with a Bass-link, read through the whole thread...but a few questions...
      Where do you all hide you LOC?
      Do you all splice into the -LR/+LR/-RR/+RR wires right after they come out of the Head Unit (HU)?
      When running your power cable for the battery it's self, what size/rated fuse's do you use? Will it be different for different amps? If so, what should I use for my Bass-link?
      What length of wire do you suggest to run from the battery to the trunk?
      My firewall grommet isn't hallow, what should I use to push through it to open it up? What is it going to push into?
      Also, anylinks to a good "Add-A-Circuit"? Or should I not go this route? Rather this http://www.radioshack.com/prod...earch
      Thanks in advanced!!
      Edit (Help Full link): A good way to split the -LR/+LR/-RR/+RR cables (taken for Unknows site) http://www.radioshack.com/prod...00&cp

Modified by JoeBMX at 12:18 AM 1-16-2006

Charlotte, NC
      03 GTI 1.8t BT
      01-16-2006 11:01 AM #457
      You will install the LOC beside the amp in the trunk, and pull from the speaker wires there.
      You will use whatever length speaker wire that you need, but most start with 17 feet, and the trim off what they don't need.

8. 02-03-2006 07:59 PM #458
      could the dealer do this? or any audio place? or am i better off doing this myself

Dublin, CA
      2009 Cobalt SS
      02-04-2006 01:40 AM #459
      ^^man...it was soo easy to do...just a bit of wire splicing for the Infitinty basslink...
      i didnt even need the LOC

10. 02-25-2006 01:10 PM #460
      Ok. I have read this entire thread. I have checked out dinsolutions.net and have even emailed the contact on that site.
      My wife has a 2003 Jetta Wagon with a double-din deck that does NOT say Monsoon when powered on.
      I purchased an after market head unit from B-Buy. They said it would cost me $150 (labor only) to have it installed because they would need to bypass the Monsoon amp in the back to avoid feedback.
      I looked for this amp in the back of the wagon. I looked in the Hazard bin and the First Aid bin and I lifted up the deck cover and looked in there. I don't see any amp of any kind. It *looks* like there is a little cubby (in the driver side bin) in which an audio amp or changer might fit, but there is nothing in this cubby.
      Do I or do I not have a Monsoon system?
      I see talk of non-Monsoon systems and think that this is what I have. Dinsolutions.net has a DIY on replacing the double-din non-Monsoon system with an after market head unit, and nowhere in there does it say I'm going to have to bypass the amp in the back. All I want to do is replace the head unit (the current one has all sticky buttons from previous owner and I got a new one w/ an 1/8" input I want to plug my wife's new iPod Nano into) and keep using factory everything else.
      Is the guy from B-Buy mistaken? Am I mistaken? Am I looking in the right place or the wrong place, or should I not even bother since the current unit never says Monsoon when powering up?
      If the B-Buy guy is wrong, I'll just have them do it b/c basic installation is free labor. Help!?!?!?
      Much appreciation for the thread and for dinsolutions.net. Figured I'd post here rather than wait for his email response b/c I wanted to get this done this weekend.
      All help greatly appreciated via good karma.

11. 02-27-2006 10:37 PM #461
      If it don't say Monsoon when you turn it on then it ain't a Monsoon unit.
      Monsoon Hu also has knobs for Bass, mid, treb.

12. 03-21-2006 10:15 AM #462
      Anyone have information on where to buy a line-out convertor if radio shack doesn't carry them anymore?

13. 03-28-2006 10:08 PM #463
      does anybody know if the wiring of the loc on a 2003 gti is the same as the write up, i think i may have a bad loc but just want to be sure i have the wiring correct
      thanks in advance

14. Member
      04 R32, 91 GTI 16v
      04-11-2006 01:20 PM #464
      I disconnected my changer cable to allow for my ipod adapter I purchased from engif. Is there an alternative source for the remote wire in the trunk of an R32 so I can hook my amp back up? I have the double din monsoon deck. Do the monsoon amps have a remote wire i can tap?

15. 04-17-2006 01:59 AM #465
      can anyone help me and answer a simple question i just tore out the whole front concel to get the stock cd player out and noticed there was missing ports and i was reading bout the aftermarket sub thing with the 4 port thing and was wondering do you have to do this if you get an aftermarket cd player or can you just plug the amp for the monsoon speakers in the aftermarket cd player thanks .. damn bastards should have made rca thing

16. 04-20-2006 08:57 PM #466
      Big props to the OP and follow up posts for this info.
      Using the info here, I tapped into the rear speaker outputs from the monsoon using the premade plastic wire stripper/tappers and have the wires giving a signal to my new aftermarket amp.

17. 04-25-2006 06:14 PM #467
      Has anyone figured out the Blaupunkt line adapter thing, i think it should work, on the back on the Monsoon HU, (2000 GTI) there is a 6-pin plug that is labled "for EXT AMP" on the diagram, its in the same set of plugs where the CD changer line would go, directley under where the BROWN plug for the Monsoon Amp goes, could this be used with some adapter for a line out and remote wire? what is that adapter really called where can i get it? ect.

18. 04-29-2006 07:16 PM #468
      hey i'm having trouble taking out the middle console on a 03 gti. where are the screws for the arm rest or how do i remove it??

19. 04-29-2006 07:34 PM #469
      If this has been answered already, Im sorry, but Im lazy and don't have the time to read all the posts in this thread.
      I have the OEM iPod adaptor installed. This renders the OEM CD changer useless, and thats fine. What i would like to know is if the Blitzsafe kit pictured bellow can still be used w/ the OEM iPod unit.

Oh, and I'm not interested in using a LOC, so please don't suggest it.

Modified by dwilkinsjr at 4:35 PM 4-29-2006

20. 04-30-2006 01:10 AM #470
      Not sure who decided that this was easy, but removing the center console and the dash is a *****. however the install is very clean and doesn't sound too bad, radio is a bit muddy but that is usually the case. 4 hrs total......

21. 05-01-2006 10:02 AM #471
      Hey, I just wanted to let you know this worked fine for my '05 GLI. Color scheme was the same, and I used the remote wire from my CD changer. Great instructions! So glad I found them Thanks for your help.

22. 05-24-2006 03:31 AM #472
      I'm looking to get this (pic below) to hook up an amp to my single-din Monsoon deck. I've looked on Enfig, Crutchfields, and Sound Domain but couldn't find it from any of these sites. any pointers?
      Quote, originally posted by user name unknown »
      Here is the Blaupunkt adapter that you can plug right into the rear of your single-din headunit and it will give you an RCA Inputs also. I think this is the one you were talking about.

23. 06-09-2006 04:51 PM #473
      Hey dude, just added to your forum so I could add my comments, your installation DIY's work exceptionally well for DUAL DIN non-monsoon setups, i have to DUAL DIN non-monsoon w/ my 2002 jetta 1.8t... I had to do the LOC to the rear of the deck, made my own keys, cut wires and soldered (eeep!!) worked great. Also due to non-monsoon, there was a factory pin on the rear of the deck which i was able to (carefully) solder a 14-18 guage wire to and actually ran it THROUGH the harness without any fuss, had to make the harness opening a TAD bigger where the pin with the solder goes in, but the pin is for monsoon amp turnon, no monsoon amp so that powered my rockford p3001 no problem, as for 12+ I ran straight from my battery, through the clever gromet and through my center interior panels. The hardest part was getting the wire from under the rear ashtray (under the armrest console) up and under the rear seats... This carpet isn't too easy to reach under. .. It sounds fantastic and works great, I also upgraded to alpine type R components and type S coaxials in the rear, w/ 2 10's on my rockford p3001... I feel like I owe you money for all the hard work on this tutorial! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!! (... P.S. worked first try and is grounded to the rear deck cargo holder strap thingy dealys...)

24. 06-09-2006 04:54 PM #474
      Removing it was easier that re-installing, plus nothing every goes back exactly where it came from... Does it??

25. 08-13-2006 04:41 PM #475
      So, does anyone know if the stock speaker wires going to the doors from the amp in an 03 Jetta Monsoon can be used when installing new speakers? I want to just use the current input for a new amp, and the output for the speakers instead of running new wire to the doors.

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast