Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: VW Motorsport CIS Unit

1. 01-24-2003 02:25 PM #1
      i just orderd the setup for sale on http://www.bildon.com to put on my 2.0 8v setup still running CIS. was wondering who has this up and running on a similar setup as mine and what your opinions on it are.. did i just make an unnecessary spur of the moment purchase?

Vehicles
      1978 WackyWabbit (sold)
      01-24-2003 03:41 PM #2
      I use the VWMS CIS unit on my race Wabbit. As you know, the VWMS unit is mechanical as there is no frequency valve, etc. According to Bildon, the unit is designed for 16V and smaller high reving engines. The walls of the airflow bowl are steeper, especially the upper two sections. So far, the unit has worked very well. Think you will enjoy it, WWR.
      WWR
      ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
      signature edition
      Harry Puckett R.I.P. 01-24-2010. You are gone too soon. We had races
      to race, jokes to tell, laughter to share, and cold beers to drink.

3. 01-24-2003 04:52 PM #3
      I'm with WWR on this one. I haven't used it personally, I run the "euro" CIS basic fuel dist, but it's very similar as far as the shape of the bowl goes from the units I've seen. And it works beautifully. I think you'll be pleased.
      Insert drivel here.....

4. 01-24-2003 05:03 PM #4
      I have a question about that unit. Is the runnability affected by not having a oxygen sensor and/or emmisions. I would like to put one of these one when i do my 2.0l swap and my 83 is currently setup for a lamba sensor and i read that you have to remove it to run the vwms cis unit. Is the euro unit different if so could i run that with a lamda sensor and where would i be able to get one. Thank in advance.

Andrew

5. 01-24-2003 08:44 PM #5
      euro and vwms both run without 02 sensor and it can't be patched in with any amount of ease or convenience. Nothing is impossible, but there's NO driveability issues by ditching it, it's primarily an emissions tool. If anything, ditching a 20 year old CIS lambda unit and replacing it with a new 'euro' set up improves driveability quite a bit.

I run mine on a warmed over 2.0 8v, works great, see sig....

Insert drivel here.....

6. 01-27-2003 12:08 AM #6
      I have some questions of my own,

I will have a 3a/CIS-E setup in my 84 gti. I have really been wanting to replace the fuel dist. with something nice. this looks like the way to go, but what about my o2 sensor and stuff? what do I do with it? will this interfere with running a knock sensing ignition at all?

7. 11-29-2003 08:20 PM #7
      Wouldnt using the Volvo 240T unit have the same effect?
      Its intake walls are also steeper and has a greater bore at the top, it also offers better fuel flow.

The inside bore at the top of the intake is: 113 mm vs 100 mm stock, what is the VWMS ?

-Rich

8. 12-01-2003 06:52 AM #8
      TTT

Vehicles
      2001 Nogaro Stg 3 S4, 1976 Scirocco
      12-01-2003 10:43 AM #9
      I put the VWMS one in my girls GTI....its a DIRECT bolt in. I mean DIRECT. No more frequency valve and no more O2. The less the electrical goodies the less to go wrong.

Vehicles
      Rabbit Convertible
      12-01-2003 12:14 PM #10
      i've had the VWMS fuel dizzy for 7 or 8 months now and I like it quite a bit on my daily driven car. After setting the A/F mix by measuring the voltage off the o2 sensor i still have on the car, i found that if you keep off the foot (hard too do) that fuel economy is not greatly sacraficed at all.

My plans with the car as it is right now is to keep the VWMS CIS unit and use it to fuel a 1.9L Crossflow with a lil bit of boost. I don't figure it will have much of a problem giving the motor a lil more fuel.

heres a couple of pics to show the difference...

i don't know that the flow plate itself is any larger, but the bowl diameter is much bigger. The hardest part of the whole swap was getting the intake boot to fit over the bowl.

you'll also notice the ring around the bottom side of the flow plate... less restriction as well as likely venturi effect to help raise the plate...

and not to trash Bildon but you should shop around a lil bit longer before you make a buy... they want twice as much as i paid....

Modified by PDX Cabby at 9:17 AM 12-1-2003

aka PDX Cabby

You're post makes me wanna because we already talked about this many years ago. Search mf'er

Vehicles
      '86 Volvo 245, '82 Caddy, '83 GTI
      12-01-2003 12:36 PM #11
      Okay,
      I have heard about these for years, in fact I heard about it when I worked at Overland Parts. There was a salesman there that put in on his 2.0 16V light-weight Rabbit ('78), and he could not tell any difference...

What specific improvements did you see? Any dyno sheets before and after?

I have long been wondering if this is worth the trouble... Any help is greatly appreciated...

David

Vehicles
      Rabbit Convertible
      12-01-2003 02:02 PM #12
      couldn't give you a dyno sheet... a dyno has never been within my budget.

but
      others were able to tell the difference besides myself...

aka PDX Cabby

You're post makes me wanna because we already talked about this many years ago. Search mf'er

13. 12-01-2003 02:09 PM #13
      keep this thread alive... i just bought a scirocco that doesn't run.. dirty fuel system. if i'm replacing things i might as well try to get the VWMS unit if its worth it.

12-01-2003 07:34 PM #14
      I am putting the vwms unit in my rabbit w/ a 2.0 16v.....my bro is running the euro 16v (more or less the same thing) setup in his 2.0 16v caddy, to the tune of easy low 14's and decent mileage. Don't know how it compares to stock cis...but one thing about it...it's new, and eliminates some bs parts on a down and dirty swap...which I like to think is a good thing
      MADSPEED

15. 12-01-2003 08:15 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by schmarkum »
      I have some questions of my own,

I will have a 3a/CIS-E setup in my 84 gti. I have really been wanting to replace the fuel dist. with something nice. this looks like the way to go, but what about my o2 sensor and stuff? what do I do with it? will this interfere with running a knock sensing ignition at all?

i asked the same question regarding knock sensor ignition. fuel distributors have nothing to do with ignition timing, as it was explained to me. i also run euro fuel dizzy on my 2L aba motor. its one of the nicest 'feeling' mods you can do to your 8V. there's a bit of tuning, but not a whole lot. as for the frequency valve and O2 sensor, cya later. oh, you wont need the ecu either. no ecu, frequency valve, O2 sensor and its assorted plumbing. no need for the WOT either, as the vwms and euro run wide open all the time. hence the lower mpg, but who cares, right??

16. 12-01-2003 11:04 PM #16
      What i was getting at is that the saab / volvo 240 turbo units could be used instead of the vwms and at a fraction of the cost.

-Rich