Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: tranny removal and clutch replacement for 1.8t

1. 01-24-2003 10:57 PM #1
      Ok this is my first time doing a write up so bear with me ill try my best.. this is a how to for a Mk4 fwd golf gti jetta for a 1.8t it should be the same for the most part.

Start by pulling the battery and the tray. If you have the stock airbox your gonna want to remove this as well. Next youll want to remove the shift bracket and linkage cables. Start by removing the cables from the bracket by sliding the little clips on the end of the posts that they are attatched to. **NOTE** earlier cars may have the pressed on ball style which is a pain in the ass. For those cars youll wanna grab a 13mm socket and jam the wrench between the cable end and the bracket and pry it off. This is not easy so dont give up!!! Now pull the silver weighted braket sitting on top of the transmission. there is a nut that holds it on located in the center of the bracket. Grab some WD40 and spray it on the splined shaft so its easier to pull of. After a few minutes pull up the braket by wiggling and pulling up.
      Now you need to pull the 3 bolts holding the bracket for the shift cable to the tranny and lift off the whole assembly up and tie it to something up high. Unbolt the slave cylider for the clutch out it held in by 2 bolts and has a wiggly looking brake line coming off of it pull this out of the way as well. There is a black metal arm going from the tranny to the tranmission mount under this, unbolt it and set it aside.
      We are now gonna remove the starter. Unbolt the positive cable to starter and then pull the bolt holding the starter to the tranny. This is a combo bolt with a smallt bolt on the head of a larger bolt. Now, unclip the connector and pull the wiring out of the plastic bracket and remove the bracket. Remove the other bolt and pull the starter. Also remove the connector at the back of the starter and put the starter aside.
      There are two sensors on the tranny that you need to remove the connectors from. There is one right by the starter and one in the back covered by a little silver bag. Unclip these two and your done up top for now.
      Grab you lug wrench and wheel lock adapter and loosen up the lugs on the drivers side front wheel and jack the car up. Oncew the car is in the air and on jack stands remove the tire. Remove the inner fender liner with a torx bit, I believe there were 10 or so of the screws. After that is done there is another plastic piece that is attatched to the bottom of the frame rail. To remove this youll need to remove the plastic guard that you take of to change your oil. Remove that with the Torx also. Once thats off remove that plastic piece by pulling down on it and getting a srewdriver in between to pull it off.
      Now you have a clear view of the tranny. Get set by putting a jack under the tranny cause your are going to be removing the mounts. Begin by removing the dogbone mount at the rear of the motor and then the drivers side tranny mount. The tranny one is fun!! Remove the two large bolts from above. They are located right by where the airbox is located and they are big 18mm i belive. now sit in the fender well and you should see a bolt on the end of the trans that connects to the mount, pull this bolt. now slowly lower the tranny and motor down until you can gain acces to the other two bolts right next to it . At this point the jack is the only thing holding up the motor/tranny so be careful!!!.
      Now get a helper to step on the brakes and lossen the bolts holding the CV's to the tranny this is a m12 12 point bolt. Remove all 6 and pull the axle out of the out put flange. Move to the other side of the tranny and remove the heat shield covering the passenger side CV and pull the bolts on that side. THAT WAS THE EASY PART.
      Now starting on the top remove the bolts that connect the tranny bellhousing to the engine. There are 2 on top and 3 on the bottom. Get a jack under the motor cause they aren't gonna be connected for long!! Now here is the secret to easily removing the trans. Regardless of what you may have heard this is BY FAR the easiest way. Pull the sub frame. It is held in by 4 large bolts, 2 at the very back of the subframe and 2 by the rear bushing of the lower control arm. They are kind of hidden in a recess but youll see them. Once these are loose you may notice that the frame wont come down that much because the steering rack is still bolted to it. Unbolt the rack, it is bolted on by 4 small bolts. You should see 2 on both sides of the frame. Once these are remove you can lower the frame down until its just hanging from the struts.
      At this point you should have no problem removing the tranny. Get a helper and wiggle it out and youll be fine. You will now be looking at the flyweel and clutch. Be advised if this is a 1.8t youll be faced with 16 bolts that are m5 12 point bolts, they are small. The bit you need is not easily found and it can usually only be located by way of Snap On, MAC, etc. Remove the pressure plate and disc. if your are just replacing the clutch check out the flyweel to make sure its not damaged and start replacing parts. Installation is the reverse of removal. If you are changing the flywheel use the same 12 point driver on a breaker or impact and remove the 6 bolts.
      This is a 1 person job with an occasional need for an assistant or 2. I recommend you have a compressor with an impact and an air wrench also you need to have a full array of sockets and wrenches including extensions. This is a job for someone with at least an intermediate mechanical understanding and on a scale of 1-10 this is a 9 or 10 on the difficulty scale. If you can do this you can tackle any othe mechanical issue with your car. This was the first time I have removed a front wheel drive tranny, however, Ive removed and replaced trannys in numerous aircooled vws and in rear wheel drive cars like Ford, Chevy and Porsche. This is not one of the easier to do but not as hard as a 911 so you can feel a little better. It took me 11 hours start to finsh with numerous breaks and even a fight in front of my house (long story but things got dealt wit) there are a few other write ups but I hope this can supplement them. This should be used along with some kind of manual for torque specs and such. GOOD LUCK

[Modified by mattnsac, 8:28 PM 1-27-2003]

Vehicles
      originR
      01-25-2003 12:36 AM #2
      wow man, that's a big writeup, anybody wanna put some paragraph breaks and periods in there??.... It'll make it easier to read.... I would, but I'm with Sam Adams right now.....

3. 01-25-2003 06:32 PM #3
      nice write up.
      doing your own tranny work is impressive.

4. 01-27-2003 06:32 AM #4
      Can you do a write up on the fight now please

[Modified by big-jona, 11:33 AM 1-27-2003]

5. 01-27-2003 03:47 PM #5
      ok as long as i dont get locked cause of it, anyways around midnight im under the car with two of my friends and getting the tranny fitted back in. my brother and two of his friends along with all of our girls are hanging out in the garage drinking beers and talking poop, just being guys. well this dude rolls up that had totaled my bros car last year over a girl (my brother was the reason she broke up with him). any ways he jumped on my brothers gti crushed the hood roof and kicked in the doors. last time the cops said they couldnt do anything cause we didnt have solid proof. insurance paid it off and things settled down. now for somereasron this dude feels like rolling by my pad looking for trouble. he is by himself there are 5 guys there all over 6'2" and all over 190 lbs, and my bro is pissed. this kid says hes ready to take all of us and i get out from under the car. my brother proceded to kick the crap out of him while me and my buddies proceed to dent every panel on his brand new silverado. he ran off and along came the cops. they asked if we knew him and told them what he had done a year ago. they asked if he came on the property we said yes and they said "OH well guess he has a totaled car AND a broken nose" the cops left nobody got in trouble and they acted the cop part with great admiration towards what we did. I guess this kid has been arrested for the same thing before and just hasnt learen his lesson. well now i think he has. after this it was 2 am and i just got back to work on the car and had her ready by the morning. So thats the fight probably the most destructive one ive been involved in but I think it was justified. BTW i do not condone fighting at all NEVER HAVE and NEVER WILL but sometimes thing need to be handled like that.

6. 01-28-2003 09:54 AM #6
      Dang!

I would like to think I am alot more peaceful than that!

Maybe it's because I drive a NB and not a GTI?