Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bloody TVs again.

1. 11-03-2013 06:06 PM #1
      Looking at getting a 65" for Xmas.
      Is this ultra HD worth it? I currently have a 1080p 50" Panasonic plasma, still happy with the picture quality.
      What about LED, does it leave plasma for dead these days? Or am I better off waiting?

Pew pew
      Quote Originally Posted by KGB View Post
      China's birthrate currently sits at 12/1000 = 18,000,000 this year, so your Rolex values are safe for now.

2. Senior Member
      11-03-2013 06:39 PM #2
      I have 4 TVs in my house, from vintage Pioneer 504 and Sony LCD to a 2008 Panasonic 1080p plasma and the latest is a two year old Samsung LED 60inch. The Samsung sh!ts all the others in pic quality as you would expect with technology, although the Pioneer plasma is still holding its own after all these years.

I was at Costco yesterday (yes and I love that place!), they had a 75 inch LED Samsung playing How to Train a Dragon. Fark me it was impressive. I still remember the days when big screen means crappy quality. For me, there is no point going ultra HD as there is no content available. Oh and best of all, the 75inch LED only costs $4997! TVs are so cheap nowadays.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bookie View Post
      gt2 is a luxury car, yes.

Vehicles
      vw and merc white pos
      11-03-2013 09:48 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by WAY View Post
      I have 4 TVs in my house, from vintage Pioneer 504 and Sony LCD to a 2008 Panasonic 1080p plasma and the latest is a two year old Samsung LED 60inch. The Samsung sh!ts all the others in pic quality as you would expect with technology, although the Pioneer plasma is still holding its own after all these years.

I was at Costco yesterday (yes and I love that place!), they had a 75 inch LED Samsung playing How to Train a Dragon. Fark me it was impressive. I still remember the days when big screen means crappy quality. For me, there is no point going ultra HD as there is no content available. Oh and best of all, the 75inch LED only costs $4997! TVs are so cheap nowadays.
      +1 for the Sammy's.. I'm with Wayne hardly any 4k content at the moment.

is Costco your 2nd home Wayne?
      Yeah I'm a Volvo driver

11-03-2013 10:07 PM #4
      All the Sony 4k TV's on display at JB have a special 4k content generator plugged into them. I've noticed on my Sony LCD with led backlighting that some content can look artificial unless you go in and turn off the settings to do with sports motion smoothing and a few other things.

Plasmas are cheap now though and if it was for special occasion use only that's what I might go for. Also check your room lighting and for any reviews complaining about screen reflections espec if you do any daytime watching.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stubby, Esq. View Post
      buy both, save time.

5. Member
      11-03-2013 10:44 PM #5
      Panasonic plasmas (with the Kuro tech) are still superior to LCD (including LED backlit LCDs). Get one now, because Panasonic is killing them off soon..

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...asonic-plasma/
      Last edited by dkr; 11-03-2013 at 10:49 PM.

6. 11-04-2013 12:31 AM #6
      4K is a WOFTAM at the moment, and likely to remain so for a very long time. At sensible viewing distances it's more resolution than the average eye can resolve anyway.

(and I won't comment on the mental genius on another forums trying to convince me of how good 4K is by linking a youtube video of a 4K TV on display.....)

7. 11-04-2013 01:11 AM #7
      Looks like a toss up between Samsung's F8500 and Panasonic's VT60.
      Shame they're not bringing the top-of-the-line ZT into the country.

Thanks for all your help so far, gents; been very enlightening.
      China's birthrate currently sits at 12/1000 = 18,000,000 this year, so your Rolex values are safe for now.

Vehicles
      MY08 WRX (SGP) Mk II GTI (AUS)
      11-04-2013 02:53 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by dkr View Post
      Panasonic plasmas (with the Kuro tech) are still superior to LCD (including LED backlit LCDs). Get one now, because Panasonic is killing them off soon..

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...asonic-plasma/
      Damn. If I had a reason to buy one, I'd buy a VT60 for sure... But my 5 year old Kuro is still trucking along like the day I bought it.

9. 11-04-2013 03:55 AM #9
      I thought even Panasonic had discontinued plasmas??

business week rumour at least

We have a full fat 60" Sharp LCD, I preferred it over the Samsung for three reasons. Better picture in my eyes, cheaper and a three year warranty. Doesn't have as much smart tv malarkey, but we don't use that anyway.

If my wall was bigger I'd have bought the 70"
      Last edited by craig_m5; 11-04-2013 at 03:59 AM.

Vehicles
      79 GLD, 03 GTI
      11-04-2013 04:53 AM #10
      In my very limited experience:

Samsung EPG is are sheiiiiittttttt. Clunky, painful and unresponsive. Not sure if they've improved recently, but it's something I'd check in store as I them pretty annoying to use.

My current Sony is much nicer to use, but it's a bit shoddy with fast video. It's an "eco" model, so that's probably the cause.

My old Sharp had fantastic sound quality, but that's probably pretty redundant for you.
      I'm a country member.

11. 11-04-2013 05:54 AM #11
      Still have a crisp looking 50" Pioneer Plasma on my Wall - 8 years old.

Dam, the price these days are amaizing balls versus what this sucker cost me. It was a time and age where a Pioneer Van came to my house, two guys did a full install in the house and then took me through it's full operation.....but at that price I probably should have got a BJ too.

Go 65" - it only looks too big for the first week.
      iPad Certified.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      11-04-2013 06:36 AM #12
      That's what she said.

13. Senior Member
      11-04-2013 10:38 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Tank Engine View Post
      Still have a crisp looking 50" Pioneer Plasma on my Wall - 8 years old.

Dam, the price these days are amaizing balls versus what this sucker cost me. It was a time and age where a Pioneer Van came to my house, two guys did a full install in the house and then took me through it's full operation.....but at that price I probably should have got a BJ too.

Go 65" - it only looks too big for the first week.
      Mine Pioneer is 9 years old and must be one gen before yours. But like Tim and yourself, I have absolutely no reason to get rid of it as it hasn't skipped a beat. Only problem I have is connecting new HDMI devices to it. It won't recognise them. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Would be nice to update the PVR to a new one.

Oh yeah, and the TV costs me $8,500 9 years ago and the Sony PVR costs me $2k. Doesn't have a tv tuner on my pioneer so you need the PVR.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bookie View Post
      gt2 is a luxury car, yes.

Vehicles
      1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe //// 1968 Audi F103 75L //// 2009 VW Passat R36 Wagon
      11-04-2013 06:38 PM #14
      guys stupid question:

Im going to look at buying a VT65 inch Panasonic question i have is the kids watch foxtel and have their shows on IQ when the show stops they go off and do something else and it can be paused on the same screen for anything from 2 to 5 hours.

I take it this will cause the plasma to burn in the same screen or do new plasmas not do this any more?

Is there a shut down feature on plasmas or screensaver?

Sorry still running a Sony CRT that i have had since 2005 due to be bullet proof and kids can kick balls at it

15. 11-04-2013 06:48 PM #15
      nowhere near the issue it used to be. You might see some residual image for a little while, but it disappears pretty quickly.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      11-04-2013 07:28 PM #16
      The Fox Footy Channel logo managed to burn itself onto the screen of my Panasonic ST50 this winter.

I expect it will be gone by the end of the summer, ready repeat the process next winter.

11-04-2013 07:47 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by XXX 1.8T View Post
      guys stupid question:

Im going to look at buying a VT65 inch Panasonic question i have is the kids watch foxtel and have their shows on IQ when the show stops they go off and do something else and it can be paused on the same screen for anything from 2 to 5 hours.

I take it this will cause the plasma to burn in the same screen or do new plasmas not do this any more?

Is there a shut down feature on plasmas or screensaver?

Sorry still running a Sony CRT that i have had since 2005 due to be bullet proof and kids can kick balls at it
      You need one of those energy saver power boards. If the remote is used after a certain amount of time it powers nearly everything off. I think my tv has a motion detect function as we'll but I could be dreaming
      buy both, save time.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      11-04-2013 08:31 PM #18
      You can set Foxtel and the TV to power off after a set period of inactivity too.

19. 11-04-2013 09:02 PM #19
      Mine Pioneer is 9 years old and must be one gen before yours. But like Tim and yourself, I have absolutely no reason to get rid of it as it hasn't skipped a beat. Only problem I have is connecting new HDMI devices to it. It won't recognise them. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Would be nice to update the PVR to a new one.

Oh yeah, and the TV costs me $8,500 9 years ago and the Sony PVR costs me $2k. Doesn't have a tv tuner on my pioneer so you need the PVR.
      Sounds about right Wayne. I recall paying high $7k for mine.
      I've never had an issue with the HDMI other than only having one input but I haven't really bought any exoctic devices to plug in either.
      I bought a splitter box (from Jaycar I think) to get an extra input but these days I'm just down to really using the Foxtel IQ box and the Apple TV. Don't put many discs on anymore to play tbh.......

Gunna go to the effort of setting up a VPN to access Netflix and Hulu via the Apple TV next me thinks. I want to stop being ripped off by the Foxtel HD Platinum package but my only issue (like Lima) is I love my footy (Rugby) and Foxtel has exclusive on it.

Ham - why not 70"?
      iPad Certified.

20. 11-04-2013 11:46 PM #20
      More than happy to go 70 for the right TV but I think Samsung's plasma goes up to 64" and that's it.
      Pretty keen on the Samsung PS64F8500 after doing some research. COntrast is quite important
      and it seems it beat the VT and ZT Panas on that front (still not as good as reference Kuro).

And the Pana plasmas have that ghey chrome trim, which I can't stand.

PS, any Melbourne Texer wants a Panasonic 50" HD plasma, let me know.

Vehicles
      MY08 WRX (SGP) Mk II GTI (AUS)
      11-05-2013 03:58 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by TheHamofMam View Post
      PS, any Melbourne Texer wants a Panasonic 50" HD plasma, let me know.
      Does it have that ghey chrome trim? I can't stand that ****.

11-08-2013 03:34 AM #22
      I'm gunna ask here rather than start a new thread. Does anyone have a Sonos system? Seen or have a Playbar? I wonder how the Sonos system compares to using an Apple device with Airplay, remote home sharing etc?
      buy both, save time.

23. 11-08-2013 05:44 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by sweatyworker View Post
      I'm gunna ask here rather than start a new thread. Does anyone have a Sonos system? Seen or have a Playbar? I wonder how the Sonos system compares to using an Apple device with Airplay, remote home sharing etc?
      We've got one. In fact we finally decided to get it when they came out with an iPhone app. System is good, would buy again, but I suspect many of the competitors are probably pretty much equivalent by now. Perhaps the Sonos still has the edge as it's a one trick pony?

Haven't seen a playbar other than the adverts they send out about them.

Vehicles
      1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe //// 1968 Audi F103 75L //// 2009 VW Passat R36 Wagon
      11-08-2013 07:42 AM #24
      If the room I'm putting the tv in has a lot of day light should I still go for the Panasonic plasma or should I look at something else?

Someone mentioned the Samsung is better in rooms with lots of day light?

25. 11-08-2013 08:29 PM #25
      We just replaced a 60" Pana Plasma with a 65" Samsung 8000 LED. Picture seems superior on the newer set, even in the morning, which given our places faces due east and the living room wall is full height/width glass is saying something.

11-24-2013 11:53 PM #26
      Did you get something yet? I just got an email from Sony with a $500.00 cash back on selected 4K tv's if you buy online. That's via out corporate partner portal not sure if the offer is on the regular online store.
      buy both, save time.

27. 11-25-2013 12:13 AM #27
      I might just hold off for now after seeing the Samsung plasma.
      It's nice picture but not a radical improvement over my Pana.
      Might wait until 4k becomes more prevalent and cheaper.

But i did buy an Atdec Display stand so that the TV could live off the wooden HiFi unit.
      Very sturdy bit of kit. Should be for $600.

Vehicles
      MY08 MkV .:R32
      12-17-2013 06:04 AM #28
      I'm now in the same boat, my ~7 year old Pioneer Pro 42" plasma is still great, but time for 1080P and a slightly bigger screen - unfortunately 50" is the max suitable for the room (and WAF) - and Panasonic don't make a 50" VT the samsung only comes in 60" & 65! So looks like the Panasonic 50" ST60 as the sensible option - and only $1100 vs $2300+ for the 55" VT!

Anyone know of a decent alternative in 50"?

On that note, any texer in Sydney have use for a second hand plasma? Only cost ~$4k, and the "optional" video board was $500 and the the wall mount was $350 Came with some useless plastic feet that I've misplaced, so it's wall-mount only now...
      2006 MkV 2.0TDI -> 2005 MkV GTI -> 2008 MkV .:R32

29. 12-17-2013 06:57 AM #29
      Missed this before Sweaty.

Sonos + Spotify rocks my world. Did all the research...Bose still working with bluetooth and airplay - good speakers but flaky interface. The Sonos setup works and works really well.
      Suggest 2 x Play 3s with a subwoofer (my setup). The 3s have really good mid-high punch with the sub covering the rest.

Very happy and spotify (I know I'm a slow mover) is quite surreal in the way it allows you to explore **** based on your tastes. Pandora is good too.

I know the audiophiles will shutter but buying a CD (insert other preference) is history.
      iPad Certified.

12-17-2013 07:03 AM #30
      Thanks! I think in the new year I will get a playbar and sub. My TV does the full surround pass through on its optical output so I'm all set. Just convincing the SO of the wothwhileness of it all
      buy both, save time.

31. 12-17-2013 07:10 AM #31
      Thanks! I think in the new year I will get a playbar and sub. My TV does the full surround pass through on its optical output so I'm all set. Just convincing the SO of the wothwhileness of it all
      Be interested in hearing your thoughts when you get one.

Which model?
      They like Porches down there. Works like a charm with the young men.

12-17-2013 03:00 PM #32

There is only one Sonos playbar model. My place is too to open to warrant multiple units in separate rooms.
      buy both, save time.

Vehicles
      12-18-2013 05:10 AM #33
      Bah, too much Sonos talk - bought the Panasonic 50ST60A from myer for $1100, arrives on Friday

34. 12-18-2013 05:47 AM #34
      But you know you need a playbar underneath it!
      Nice buy.
      iPad Certified.

Vehicles
      12-18-2013 07:56 AM #35
      Playbar? Nah I've got proper speakers

I like the Sonos idea for elsewhere in the house, save running speaker cables through the ceiling & wall cavities...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast