Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: One Million Moms Against Capital One ... Every Damn Day

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Audi S4 6MT
      11-03-2013 10:50 PM #1
      Seriously ...

The hysterical "every damn day" commercial from Capital One was pulled from some stations because One Million Moms complained too loudly

http://www.americanbanker.com/people...1063293-1.html

Capital One Cleans Up Samuel Jackson Ad After 'Damning' Criticism
      by Maria Aspan - OCT 30, 2013 5:25pm ET

Banks have laid off thousands of people since the financial crisis, foreclosed upon millions of struggling homeowners and helped to upend the world's economy — but what really riles some customers is one bank's endorsement of mild profanity.

Capital One (COF) last week unveiled a commercial featuring the actor Samuel L. Jackson and his celebrated forthright delivery, including of a promise to offer credit card rewards "every damn day." The profanity is tame by most standards, especially from someone known for using much saltier language in films like "Snakes on a Plane."

But the commercial sparked an outsized reaction from angry commenters at various websites, including AmericanBanker.com, BankInnovation.net, and credit card discussion forums. Some of those people threatened to close their accounts or stop using their cards. Now Capital One is replacing at least some airings of the profanity-laced ad with a more G-rated version, in which Jackson promises rewards "every single day."

Bank spokeswoman Pam Girardo said the second version of the commercial was part of a planned series featuring Jackson and Capital One's new Quicksilver credit card.

"The first ad was designed to draw attention to the new campaign," Girardo said in an email. "Our next ads that began airing this week continue to showcase Jackson in a direct and humorous way by dramatizing the ease and superiority of Quicksilver."

She did not respond to questions about the backlash or whether the McLean, Va., bank would continue airing the more "attention-drawing" first commercials.

At least some of the online anger over Jackson's commercial appears to have been marshaled by One Million Moms, a branch of the conservative media watchdog group American Family Association. Its website urges supporters to email Capital One with protests over "the d-word" and requests to pull the "irresponsible and offensive" commercial. (One Million Moms' other current targets include the new NBC series "Dracula," which will "warp the minds of our youth," and Slim Fast, which is airing "inappropriate and tacky" commercials.)

Monica Cole, executive director of One Million Moms, said the organization did not encourage its members to leave angry comments on other websites, "but we do encourage anyone to speak out and let their voice be heard. … Profanity has no place anywhere, really."

Cole says her group has not yet asked its members to stop using their Capital One cards or switch their bank accounts. But bank industry members say Capital One might even be pleased by others' threats to do so.

"I think the people who will close their accounts for a single word aren't necessarily the people Capital One wants to appeal to," says Jim Marous, a senior vice president of corporate development at digital marketing agency New Control.

Jackson, like fellow Capital One celebrity endorsers Alec Baldwin and Jimmy Fallon, is "highly recognizable" to younger people, who are more likely to be amused than upset by the commercial's language, Marous says.

Writing a "damn" into Jackson's script was likely "a conscious decision," he adds. "It's making a point that certainly Chase and Bank of America and Wells can't make, that we're going to look at banking a little differently. … It probably reinforces a brand more than takes away from it."
      Have these "Mom's" been to church recently ... there are more "damn"s and "hell"s and "ass"s in the Holy Bible than there were in SLJ's last 10 movies combined ...

2. 11-04-2013 02:28 AM #2

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      11-04-2013 02:33 AM #3
      So... there are customers that are not insulted by extremely high credit card finance charges and penalties...but are when a celebrity known for saying damn in moves says damn in a commercial?

"I think the people who will close their accounts for a single word aren't necessarily the people Capital One wants to appeal to," says Jim Marous, a senior vice president of corporate development at digital marketing agency New Control.

Exactly.
      Seems more like One Million Moms is reaching around for attention.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      11-04-2013 02:45 AM #4
      Cap1 sucks almost as much balls as Chase.

Sent from Titletown.
      ...tunes from the car makin' everybody dizzy. bumpin' Flaming Lips, Johnny Cash and Biggie...

Support Your Local Homebrewery
      Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

5. 11-04-2013 04:00 AM #5
      I'm glad these kinds of people spend their time doing this as opposed to speaking to me, or generally being out in public.

Vehicles
      2003 Ford Focus 2.3, 2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2014 Fiesta SE 1.0T
      11-04-2013 08:41 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      So
      Giggity...

Quote Originally Posted by seedoo2007
      Have these "Mom's" been to church recently ... there are more "damn"s and "hell"s and "ass"s in the Holy Bible than there were in SLJ's last 10 movies combined ...
      Marge: So, what did you children learn about in Sunday school today?
      Bart: Hell.
      Homer: Bart!
      Bart: Well, that's what we learned about! I sure as hell can't tell you we learned about hell if I don't say hell, can I?
      Homer: He's got us there.
      Bart: Hell yes!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      11-04-2013 09:08 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by caddy 2 doppelganger View Post
      I gotta quote this before this thread gets jimp'd
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      11-04-2013 09:50 AM #8
      ^
      This isn't about religion.
      It's about A small group trying to sensor the media... instead of just not watching that media(since it is a choice).
      People always have the right to be offended... but the problem is how they respond to being offended.
      If you can stand on one spot of the retaining wall in your back yard and see into your neighbor's bedroom... and see a naked person..... instead of yelling indecent exposure,.how about you quit standing on that one spot of your retaining wall and looking in your neighbor's windows.

I would love to know the tv shows these offended people were watching when they saw this commercial....
      Or if they just 'heard about it' through this group and 'heard they should be offended' and 'heard they should post negative comments online'.
      I suspect the latter ...
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

9. Member
      Vehicles
      Wagon Queen Family Truckster (not the blue sport wagon)
      11-04-2013 11:54 AM #9
      <--- Christian & thinks that commercial was damn funny.

Edit -they should've shown him putting the card in his Bad Mother F'er wallet.
      “The analogy we use around here sometimes, and I think is accurate, is if a JV team puts on Lakers uniforms that doesn't make them Kobe Bryant" ~ Obama on ISIS

We are JIMP

Vehicles
      '04 Saab 9-3, '83 VW Rabbit
      11-04-2013 12:01 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      jimp'd
      Now ya dunnit
      Sent from a place using a thing

11. 11-04-2013 12:15 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      So... there are customers that are not insulted by extremely high credit card finance charges and penalties...but are when a celebrity known for saying damn in moves says damn in a commercial?

Exactly.
      Well put, bunch of pu***s
      The only suit I own...is fireproof!

12. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      Bus of God
      11-04-2013 12:49 PM #12
      As has already been said, this isn't about religion and I don't have a problem with Jackson saying the word "damn"... but I'm glad some have taken this opportunity to show what sort of bigots you are against people of faith. Your hatred is a burden on you, your clinging to it a waste of energy. Jesus forgives and sets free. I pray you choose to be set free.

Blessings,
      JIMP
      What no person has a right to is to delude others into the belief that faith is something of no great significance, or that it is an easy matter, whereas it is the greatest and most difficult of all things - Kierkegaard

I am Zukiphile

Vehicles
      11-04-2013 12:59 PM #13
      goddamnit Egilbe

Vehicles
      Diesels. Lots of diesels.
      11-04-2013 01:20 PM #14
      i like how people refer to this commercial as possessing "shock value".

if they wanted shock value SLJ would have just told us to get a motherf*cking capital one card, and you don't just ignore SLJ when he tells you to do something.
      if he wants to to get a quicksilver card, you get off your ass and do it.

that being said, 1.5% back? if i had credit cards i might consider this one

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      11-04-2013 01:26 PM #15
      I gotta quote this before this thread gets jimp'd
      Quote Originally Posted by gnavs View Post
      Now ya dunnit
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesus is my pilot View Post
      As has already been said, this isn't about religion and I don't have a problem with Jackson saying the word "damn"... but I'm glad some have taken this opportunity to show what sort of bigots you are against people of faith. Your hatred is a burden on you, your clinging to it a waste of energy. Jesus forgives and sets free. I pray you choose to be set free.

Blessings,
      JIMP
      Quote Originally Posted by gnavs View Post
      goddamnit Egilbe
      Do I win the internet today?

And JIMP, someone pointing and laughing does not equate to hatred.
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

Vehicles
      11-04-2013 01:46 PM #16
      There should be a JIMP conjurer point system. Egilbe's on the board

Vehicles
      DD: Mazda3 O: Explorer | Uncertified Preowned: Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      11-04-2013 01:47 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.FOH!! View Post
      <--- Christian & thinks that commercial was damn funny.

Edit -they should've shown him putting the card in his Bad Mother F'er wallet.
      +a mutherf-ing 1.

I heard the "Damn" when the commercial aired. At first I was taken aback, since, after all, it is a commercial. Then I realized it was airing during NCIS:LA... where skin-tight clothes horse Kensie Blye is constantly shooting people, etc.

As long as the ad buy doesn't include Saturday morning cartoons... but if we really want to hand out standards, maybe 1mM should look at ABC family. Far cry from the wholesome TGIF days.
      80 people! Do you know how much that is? Two 40s, you son of a b***h!
      Default post options: So, it has come to this. | If you think so. | Not that there's anything wrong with that. | That's what she said. | WTF.
      //// @mbull //// blog //// instagram ////

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      11-04-2013 01:58 PM #18
      I use my CapitalOne no-fee 1 1/2% cash back card every damned day. My cash rewards balance is $270.27. What's the problem?

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      11-04-2013 02:17 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      +a mutherf-ing 1.

I heard the "Damn" when the commercial aired. At first I was taken aback, since, after all, it is a commercial. Then I realized it was airing during NCIS:LA... where skin-tight clothes horse Kensie Blye is constantly shooting people, etc.

As long as the ad buy doesn't include Saturday morning cartoons... but if we really want to hand out standards, maybe 1mM should look at ABC family. Far cry from the wholesome TGIF days.
      Pretty much the only reason I watch that show. That and for all the Heddie cracks.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      11-04-2013 06:29 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      Pretty much the only reason I watch that show. That and for all the Heddie cracks.
      I googled her, added naked to the search parameters and lost my afternoon. Thanks douche!

21. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      11-04-2013 08:27 PM #21
      Samuel L. Jackson should post an apology.

Something like "I am f*cking sorry for using damn. The last thing I wanted to do was piss off a bunch of uptight white bitches that obviously need some Jackson lovin."

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      11-04-2013 08:28 PM #22
      I googled her, added naked to the search parameters and lost my afternoon. Thanks douche!
      VICTORY!

Gentlemen, my work here is done. Though I am hoping you were searching for Kensie Blye and not "naked Hetty"
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      11-05-2013 05:37 PM #23

A suitable replacement for Angie Harmon.
      Default post options: So, it has come to this. | If you think so. | Not that there's anything wrong with that. | That's what she said. | WTF.

24. 11-05-2013 05:58 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      Far cry from the wholesome TGIF days.
      Many a 13y/o seed was spilled to Stephanie and DJ Tanner.

And I'd do it again too...wow:

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      11-05-2013 07:20 PM #25
      I went to the site for this million moms garbage and their "current issues" ticker is laughable...

Oh, and they hate lesbians too:

Disney Channel Features Two Mom Family

Please send Disney an email letter requesting they omit the scene in "Good Luck Charlie" featuring two moms or do not air this controversial episode at all.
      http://onemillionmoms.com/issues/dis...wo-mom-family/

So while the Capital One ad complaints may not have been driven by religion some of their other "efforts" certainly are. As if this is a surprise to anyone...
      Last edited by Hostile; 11-05-2013 at 07:23 PM.

Vehicles
      '06 WRX, naked '97 GSXR 600, '79 DT250
      11-05-2013 07:43 PM #26
      "I'm sick and tired of bullsh*t credit cards and their low motherf*cking rewards rates."

*pulls out Bad Motherf*cker wallet and removes capital one card*

^thats how the commercial should've started.

Vehicles
      Diesels. Lots of diesels.
      11-05-2013 08:02 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      I went to the site for this million moms garbage and their "current issues" ticker is laughable...

Oh, and they hate lesbians too:

http://onemillionmoms.com/issues/dis...wo-mom-family/

So while the Capital One ad complaints may not have been driven by religion some of their other "efforts" certainly are. As if this is a surprise to anyone...

jfc...

"Please send Disney an email letter requesting they omit the scene in "Good Luck Charlie" featuring two moms or do not air this controversial episode at all. If producers keep this episode as originally planned, then conservative families will have no choice but to no longer watch Disney Channel Network in their homes so they can avoid the previews, commercials and reruns for this irresponsible episode. Families will not allow Disney Channel in their homes if they must protest the network veering away from family-friendly entertainment."

because two lesbians on a tv show isn't family friendly. go away, omm.

Vehicles
      11-05-2013 08:07 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain 'Murica! View Post
      Many a 13y/o seed was spilled to Stephanie and DJ Tanner.

And I'd do it again too...wow:

Really? DJ & Stef? I would've figured you for a Michelle lover. Me, I was all over Lori Laughlin.

29. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      12-08-2013 10:16 AM #29
      It looks like they already made a version without "damn" when they made the original commercial.

Free publicity?

Some groups are easy to manipulate.