Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally bought my dream car ***GASP, it sounds like a tractor***

Vehicles
      '13 BMW 750i, '16 Mustang GT PP, '13 Viper GTS
      11-13-2013 12:15 PM #1
      Been a long time coming, this one. Been lurking on the viper boards for 6-12 months, learning, doing research on pricing, and waiting for the stars to align. They aligned yesterday morning after a long and tumultuous process. I think i "bought" about 4 cars in the last month, all didn't play out one way or another when the dust settled. Everything from failing ppi's, to people selling cars out from under me after a deal has been struck, to finding the "perfect" car out of state and having the financing institution and dealer bicker like little children about the payment/lien transfer process and blowing the deal. I was actually starting to get discouraged and pissed off about the whole process and lo and behold one late night I am doing my usual creep through autotrader/cars/ebay and this redhead pops up for money that made me scratch my head--and at a dealer that is notorious for overpricing vipers to boot. I was skeptical so i ran the carfax. 1 owner, low and consistent mileage(car never sat without being driven for more than a month which is great), been in the same city all its life, no accidents, no stories. I did a little poking around--the viper community is a small one--and found out it was owned by a lawyer who traded it in on a '14 GTS. I figured i should strike while the irons' hot so I went drove and put down a deposit on it the following morning.

Been enjoying feeling like a "celebrity" cruising around

06 Viper Red Coupe
      8.3L V10
      13k miles
      1 owner
      Bone stock minus a short throw

Car drives extremely well--i've test driven at least 4-5 gen 3s and gen 4s in my search and this was the tightest driving of them all. Steering is heavy, direct, and on center, clutch is light, shifer snicks into the gates with a rewarding mechanical *click*, and the engine builds revs without a care to which gear you're in. I was really expecting a creaky, squeaky experience synonymous with dodge's world class craftsmanship. Which, i would of course made excuses for---"but its a racecar bro!". Surprisingly, the car is very devoid of any cowl shake or chassis flex. It feels like you're driving something carved out of a single slab, no rattles, no squeaks, just a some fairly stiff dampened coilovers and lots of road, tire, and engine noise. Sometimes there is a very unsatisfying lash from the drivetrain at low speeds, but this common of all vipers (and all mustangs/vettes/etc i've ever driven). Apparently, its a function of some very generous tolerances on the ring and pinion, and goes away when people do gears and shim them properly.

Things i dont like:

-The LR turn signal taking on water like a 15th century wooden galleon.
      -The lifters/rockers sounding like a sewing machine (should be alleviated with a switch to 15w-50).
      -A blown subwoofer (although subwoofer is pushing it, its more like a shi*ty 6.5 coax in a ported enclosure).
      -Zero visibility out the rear. When my roommate follows me around in his c6, he's literally invisible to me at following distance.
      -A light yet audible pinion related whiiir from the rear end at around 65-75mph (prob needs a little friction modifier).
      -The gas mileage--i've put right at 100 miles on the car and half a tank is gone. But honestly if you buy a viper for gas mileage you're an inbred. I expect 12mpg from this tank.
      -Driving around in a space heater. In all honesty, people complain about the cabin temps all the time in these cars and i think it does get a bit over blown. Yes. With the stock catback, and the x-over piping underneath the passenger compartment, after some drive time you definitely can tell its toasty inside compared to whats going on outside. Its almost comical to put your hand down into the footwell area and feel the temperature differential. Its got to be at least 10-20 degrees hotter down there than it is at chest level. Its not unbearable however, and nothing that the AC cant handle--in fact the AC blows so damn cold i cant even keep it on its lowest setting without feeling like i'm in a igloo (this seems to be a trend with most american cars).

Things i do like:

-The sound. Yes, it sounds like a tractor at idle, but under load the v10 has this spine tingling bellow/roar to it. It just sounds like nothing else. I think most of the people who say vipers sound like sh*t have never been in one, nor heard them under load at speed.
      -The torque. My god the torque. Everywhere, at any rpm, in any gear but 6th, put your foot it in, and in a few seconds you'll be in jail.
      -The looks. This is obviously subjective, but i think this is one of the most beautiful and recognizable automotive shapes at any price.
      -The telopathic steering. I've never driven anything even remotely close to this in terms of turn in and communication through the steering wheel. You sneeze, and you're 2 lanes over. Every mm of steering input gives you tangible results at the front end. However, you do have to have both hands on the wheel to feel in control. 275s up front means the car follows every rut in the road and tries to pull and tug you all over the place.
      -The mechanical grip. Take your favorite sweeper, multiple your usual entry speed by 2, profit.
      -The brakes. 4 piston 14" brembos at all corners. They never feel taxed, and the car sheds speed as fast at it piles it on.
      -The seats. You really have to be the right frame to fit in a viper, but if you meet the requirements, the car cradles you like a glove. I'm 6'0 and an athletic build (around 175lbs). I love the huge bolstering and the support they provide under lateral loads. Gives a very reassuring and connected feel to the driving experience.
      -The constant feeling like you're just one errant throttle input away from a tree somewhere. I know its ridiculous, but i think this is the best part of the driving experience. It's a car that you have to be awake to drive. Theres no nannies, no safety aids, no one to hold your hand. Just you, 3 pedals, and a lump on engine that can rip asphalt from the ground. Get it right, you're a hero, get it wrong, even for a split second, and you'll be on someones youtube fail compilation as another "douchey viper owner who has more money than skill".

Apologies for the anemic cell phone photos--i will get proper ones when the car gets a full detail and the weather cooperates.

The quite attractive cougar in this 997 didnt want to tango, but she did compliment the coupe generously at a light

The daily driver shunned out of the garage into the cold. The grand sport is the roommates.

Tasks for this weekend;

-Oil & filter change (Mobil 1 15w-50)
      -Drain & refill clutch fluid resorvoir
      -Install K&N intake
      -New IAT sensor
      -New IAC valve
      -A good scrubbin

Planned mods;

-3.55s (gears)
      -Belanger catback and eventually longtubes
      -Eibach springs for the oem coilovers
      -Gen 4 hood

I'll use this thread to post updates/progress on the car as the time wears on. Bring on the mopar haters!

Vehicles
      '14 Odyssey Touring / '93 MR2
      11-13-2013 12:19 PM #2
      stunning car. congrats!
      '14 Odyssey | '93 MR2

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      11-13-2013 12:21 PM #3
      Awesome car, congrats. In before the financial lounge makes comments about owning cars like this and having roommates.
      I feel like this has all happened before.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

4. Member Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B.'s Avatar
      Vehicles
      His+Hers= Bose, THXII, 12 cylinders, 48v, 7.5L, 4 turbos, 795hp, torque vectoring, torsen, 28spks
      11-13-2013 12:21 PM #4
      No hate from me. I love Vipers. And they are so attainable now.

How much if you don't mind me asking?

5. 11-13-2013 12:22 PM #5
      Nice! I had an older GTS for a summer and the claims about cabin temp are definitely NOT overblown at all. Driving that thing in the summer was brutal sometimes. But DAMN was it fun!!

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 A4, 1996 Miata, RIP 2007 A4 2.0T, RIP 2002 A4 1.8T, RIP 1998 LGTL
      11-13-2013 12:27 PM #6
      Great read, great car, great pick up. You, sir, deserve a

Challenge your roommate to a track day or some autocross............
      Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
      That's like a child saying, "I'm going to swing my fists and walk towards you, and if you get hit, it's your fault!"

Vehicles
      Z4 Coupe. VeraCruz
      11-13-2013 12:28 PM #7
      You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean doesn’t become dirty

Vehicles
      Subaru OB XT, Sportsmobile Van, Mazda CX-5
      11-13-2013 12:30 PM #8

Thanks for sharing, that was a great summary. Definitely a unique dream car to have.
      If you can't measure it, you can't understand it; if you can't understand it, you can't control it.

9. Member Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B.'s Avatar
      Vehicles
      His+Hers= Bose, THXII, 12 cylinders, 48v, 7.5L, 4 turbos, 795hp, torque vectoring, torsen, 28spks
      11-13-2013 12:32 PM #9
      Motion to name change from slowhatch to very,very fasthatch

Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad, 2015 Fiat 500e
      11-13-2013 12:32 PM #10
      I've never warmed up to the newer gen Vipers but there is no denying the presence of that car. Great buy! I love the American sports car garage you have going there.

Vehicles
      '16 e-Golf SE, '00 GTI 1.8t, '15 Accord Sport CVT, '92 F-250 4X4
      11-13-2013 12:34 PM #11
      Very nice. Congrats. I love that the combined displacement in that garage is 14.5L. That's more that some people who own 4 or 5 cars!

People bag on Vette interiors, but that Viper center stack certainly isn't winning any awards.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Fiesta ST
      11-13-2013 12:36 PM #12
      Price? How much are older ones going for? Will upkeep cost a lot (aside from gas/tires)?

I want one

13. 11-13-2013 12:36 PM #13
      BTW, you say one of your planned mods is a new hood? What is the difference? I don't know much about this gen of Vipers.

Whatever the difference is, just thank your lucky stars it isn't that ridiculous design of the first and second generations. I had to turn down many peoples' requests to see "under the hood" just because the whole process of opening and closing it was such a PITA.
      Last edited by Viking; 11-13-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      11-13-2013 12:37 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by slowhatch View Post

The daily driver shunned out of the garage into the cold. The grand sport is the roommates.
      Priorities... you two have them down!

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      11-13-2013 12:38 PM #15
      That's freakin awesome. I'm a big fan of the viper and I'd love to own one some day. You car looks amazingly clean, so take care of it! I might be the one who buys it from you if you ever sell it.

As an aside---it's great to see that more people on this forum are actually buying some fun cars instead of the boring, practical, and responsible cars that seemed to be the trend for a while. I generally like "pickup" thread, but it was starting to get depressing with all the sedan, wagon, and standard hatchback purchase threads.

Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1963 356
      11-13-2013 12:41 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B. View Post
      Motion to name change from slowhatch to very,very fasthatch

Also keep the original hood...original, presumably flawless paint is a good thing. Speaking of parts, I've visited the Viper factory twice, once in '99 and again in '00 and remember them talking about how they used common Chrysler parts like the steering wheel from the Grand Cherokee. Is this true for your car as well?

Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      11-13-2013 12:44 PM #17
      Congrats. I dig the Viper. A used Viper says to me "why the hell not".

I understand the pain of fighting the right car dozens of times.

11-13-2013 12:44 PM #18
      You want the one on the right. Two of them.

Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI 6spd. Wife 2011 TDI Sportwagen
      11-13-2013 12:46 PM #19
      Nice Viper What is the deal with the Vette? Was that yours too and if so which one do you like better?

Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1963 356
      11-13-2013 12:47 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by 16volt View Post
      A used Viper says to me "why the hell not".
      I honestly wish more people lived life like this. You only yolo once.

21. 11-13-2013 12:48 PM #21
      AWESOME!

I thought about Vipers for about 5 minutes when I was shopping and then sanity took over. Well done!

22. Member
      Vehicles
      24V GLI VRT, 07 GTI Autobahn
      11-13-2013 12:51 PM #22
      Great review. Does the interior appear to be cheap? Specifically the controls/dash/door panel. It just seems like every time I look at the interior, it looks...cheap. Now that thought process soon gets thrown out the window for the ol' "but its a racecar bro" - just curious if in fact the quality is above average...

Vehicles
      '17 Golf R DSG, '12 Crosstour V6 AWD nav, '09 Civic Si 4d nav
      11-13-2013 12:57 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by slowhatch View Post
      -Gen 4 hood
      Pretty sure Hennessy has a few lying around

Nice purchase--enjoy it, be careful, and DON'T take it to that crook.

Not my style at all but I have to admire someone who actually buys a car like this instead of just creating threads and pipe-dreaming about it.
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

24. 11-13-2013 12:59 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by 2ohgti View Post
      Nice Viper What is the deal with the Vette? Was that yours too and if so which one do you like better?
      Read. It's his roommate's.

Quote Originally Posted by all_individual View Post
      Great review. Does the interior appear to be cheap? Specifically the controls/dash/door panel. It just seems like every time I look at the interior, it looks...cheap. Now that thought process soon gets thrown out the window for the ol' "but its a racecar bro" - just curious if in fact the quality is above average...
      It is cheap. And I'm sure it doesn't bother him the slightest bit.

Great post! Very well written, thanks for sharing and enjoy the powaaa.
      Last edited by GoldnKnight22; 11-13-2013 at 01:03 PM.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      '15 Tesla Model S 85D, '17 Chrysler Pacifica
      11-13-2013 01:01 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      I honestly wish more people lived life like this. You only yolo once.
      That really made me laugh. And that attitude is why I have a CTS-V Wagon.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast