Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Jetta MK4 - Lost 5th gear

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2000 / VW / JETTA
      12-16-2013 02:13 PM #1
      Car - 2000 Jetta MK4 VR6 - Manual 5 speed - 99k miles

So I've had shifting issues for awhile, grinding into reverse, grinding into 2nd with clutch to the floor, which I've worked around by shifting to 2nd before shifting to reverse etc.

Well this weekend I had trouble shifting into 5th, I was able to get in gear after cycling back through all the gears. It happened again and this time I heard some grinding I shifted out of 5th to 4th and then back 5th to check and got grinding again, immediately pulled it out of gear and drove with 4th as the max gear all the way home. I tested it one more time close to home and I get shifter movement into 5th but the engine revs like I'm in neutral.

What did I break or what do you think broke?

I checked the shift linkages and nothing is bent, I readjusted the shift linkages as well with no change. I've found a couple of threads about replacing 5th gear but I'm not sure if that's what my problem is or not, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
      Last edited by Chad Poland; 01-06-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Vehicles
      2001 Baltic Green Jetta GLX, 2003 W8 Passat Wagon 6speed, 1982 Mk1 Caddy ABA
      12-16-2013 02:24 PM #2
      Check the cables Re align them using the proper procedure specified in the bently. Sounds like its just aligned wrong and everything is all wonky.

ITs reletivly hard to break 5th gear... unless you have some super turbo monster VRT that you beat the **** out of.
      My OEM+ Builds & Timelines: Einkaufswagen's MK4 Build, Einkaufswagen's W8 Timeline, Einkaufswagen's Mk1 Caddy Rebuild
      Cars Owned: 1999.5 Jetta VR6 GLS, 2000 Jetta VR6 GLX, 2001 Jetta VR6 GLX, 2001 Jetta VR6 GLX, 2004 Jetta GLI 1.8T, 2000 GTI 1.8T, 2004 Jetta GLI 1.8T, 2003 Passat Wagon W8 6Speed 1982 Rabbit Caddy ABA

Vehicles
      mk4/mk5
      12-16-2013 04:00 PM #3
      i lost fifth gear once, i was so scared that my mom would kill me, but luckily i found him before she got home!! the little turn got of the backyard and ran up to the home depot
      jettaaddiction/bbsrs

Vehicles
      2001 Baltic Green Jetta GLX, 2003 W8 Passat Wagon 6speed, 1982 Mk1 Caddy ABA
      12-16-2013 04:03 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by boradie sucht View Post
      i lost fifth gear once, i was so scared that my mom would kill me, but luckily i found him before she got home!! the little turn got of the backyard and ran up to the home depot
      I hate it when that happens, Last time that happened took ol fifth out back and shot em like ol yeller.
      My OEM+ Builds & Timelines: Einkaufswagen's MK4 Build, Einkaufswagen's W8 Timeline, Einkaufswagen's Mk1 Caddy Rebuild
      Cars Owned: 1999.5 Jetta VR6 GLS, 2000 Jetta VR6 GLX, 2001 Jetta VR6 GLX, 2001 Jetta VR6 GLX, 2004 Jetta GLI 1.8T, 2000 GTI 1.8T, 2004 Jetta GLI 1.8T, 2003 Passat Wagon W8 6Speed 1982 Rabbit Caddy ABA

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2000 / VW / JETTA
      12-17-2013 10:53 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Einkaufswagen View Post
      I hate it when that happens, Last time that happened took ol fifth out back and shot em like ol yeller.
      LOL! My next question will be what I should do if my refrigerator is running.

Ok, so back to my problem. I adjusted the shift linkage according to the Bentley manual and still nothing. Both the gear shift and the actual linkage are moving into 5th but nothing happens, no noise, no gear engagement, it basically feels like it is neutral.

Watching the shifter move through the gears under the hood (and also moving it manually using the shift counter weight) everything looks normal. It goes into each gear and theres some slack (for lack of a technical term) when pushing the shifter "further" into gear.

So I guess my next step will be taking the side cover off the transmission to check the gears for damage.

I'm semi-mechanically inclined, and have done everything else on the car from struts,shocks,LCA bushings,crack pipe,thermostat,radiator,ac compressor,window regulator,blend door,etc (jesus this car fragile in its old age!)

But I'm pretty much ignorant when it comes to trannies
      So what exactly should I need BEFORE I start this inspection? transmission fluid and a new cover gasket?

From what I'm reading I might need a new 5th gear seat for an o2j transmission? I also might need to rig it up with some loctite if the splines are stripped?

I've found a thread in another forum ( don't know if it's against rules to mention or post it) that walks you through the process of replacing working gears but not what else to look for in a damaged transmission
      Last edited by Chad Poland; 12-17-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Vehicles
      A gaggle of wagons, a sedan and a V8 Monster
      12-18-2013 04:01 PM #6
      taking 5th gear off isn't that difficult, and it really doesn't require removal of the transmission. I would take the cover off and check for metal fragments, and other shrapnel. Or you could drain the fluid through the drain plug and look for shavings there. If you stripped the gear enough to cause it to feel like it's in neutral, there will be plenty of glitter in there!

7. 12-18-2013 07:13 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Chad Poland View Post
      Car - 2000 Jetta MK4 VR6 - Manual 5 speed - 99k miles

So I've had shifting issues for awhile, grinding into reverse, grinding into 2nd with clutch to the floor, which I've worked around by shifting to 2nd before shifting to reverse etc.

Well this weekend I had trouble shifting into 5th, I was able to get in gear after cycling back through all the gears. It happened again and this time I heard some grinding I shifted out of 5th to 4th and then back 5th to check and got grinding again, immediately pulled it out of gear and drove with 4th as the max gear all the way home. I tested it one more time close to home and I get shifter movement into 5th but the engine revs like I'm in neutral.

What did I break or what do you think broke?

I checked the shift linkages and nothing is bent, I readjusted the shift linkages as well with no change. I've found a couple of threads about replacing 5th gear but I'm not sure if that's what my problem is or not, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
      You should do a brake and clutch fluid flush. you might have old fluid or you have air in the cylinder in which the clutch doesn't disengage properly. that is why it could be grinding.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2000 / VW / JETTA
      12-20-2013 02:01 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by WinterWagon View Post
      taking 5th gear off isn't that difficult, and it really doesn't require removal of the transmission. I would take the cover off and check for metal fragments, and other shrapnel. Or you could drain the fluid through the drain plug and look for shavings there. If you stripped the gear enough to cause it to feel like it's in neutral, there will be plenty of glitter in there!

Cool, I'm gonna try that, I found this awesome thread of a full tear down that helps me understand it better.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...or-LSD-install

I'm worried about clearances and difficulty removing the gears. Looks like this guy had a tough time even with the trans out of the car.^

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2000 / VW / JETTA
      01-01-2014 08:57 PM #9
      Update:
      Transmission started acting up pretty bad, sticking in gear, not shifting into gears, whining like a turbo.

I'm still waiting on the end cover gasket to come in so I can inspect 5th gear. So today I changed the fluid, well what was left of it... I drained a very black, very shimmery VERY SMALL amount of fluid out it. So I imagine that, with that small amount of fluid that 5th gear probably did get starved and stripped.

I used Pennzoil Syncromesh and got my shifting back albeit some gears are still harder to get into than they used to be.

But now I've noticed the clutch is making a whining noise when the pedal is NOT pressed to the floor.

Reading the forums, I've read clutch replacement and throwout bearings? This car is wearing me out...

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2000 / VW / JETTA
      01-06-2014 12:00 PM #10
      I'm back, with pics and a video

I found out what the problem is. The 5th gear selector or fork is broken. The pins or fingers that are supposed to engage 5th gear have been ground down. I'm going to order one today

Question: What would be the drawback of changing the transmission oil with the front of the car in the air or on ramps i.e. not level? I would think you would have a little bit more fluid but would that be enough to cause performance issues or damage? Just curious.

11. 01-06-2014 01:46 PM #11
      On my golf, there is a bolt on the front of the case where you can check the levels of your transmission fluid, and what I did, since I don't have a lift, was I put the car on jacks, and filled the fluid to the bottom of the bolt (which is what is says to do in my repair manual) and then since the car should be level when you do this, I just left the bolt open and lowered the car back to the ground, and then put it back up. So if you car concerned about the fluid level being wrong, you could try that, I suppose.

Unless my repair manual is going to destroy my car.

edit- the repair manual says that the car needs to be level, and my solution was as described above.
      Last edited by Detection; 01-06-2014 at 01:52 PM.

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2000 / VW / JETTA
      01-07-2014 11:29 AM #12
      Detection

On my golf, there is a bolt on the front of the case where you can check the levels of your transmission fluid, and what I did, since I don't have a lift, was I put the car on jacks, and filled the fluid to the bottom of the bolt (which is what is says to do in my repair manual) and then since the car should be level when you do this, I just left the bolt open and lowered the car back to the ground, and then put it back up. So if you car concerned about the fluid level being wrong, you could try that, I suppose.

Unless my repair manual is going to destroy my car.

edit- the repair manual says that the car needs to be level, and my solution was as described above.

I like your solution, basically "tip out" the excess. Ingenious

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2000 / VW / JETTA
      01-13-2014 12:26 PM #13

So I replaced the shift fork and now have 5th gear back. However I still have some noise when placing it into gear, it's not gears grinding but more a vibration\slight grinding. It happens when sliding it into 5th and if you wiggle the gear shift while in 5th.

I noticed that there is some minor adjustment when installing the 5th gear fork and I set it back the way it was with the old fork. Do I need to adjust the fork position or is there something else going on? All other gears shift fine, it's just 5th when shifting into and if you wiggle it while in gear.

5th gear synchro going out? need to switch from Pennzoil syncromesh back to factory fluid?

Thanks in advance