Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 9 of 9

    Thread: Getting water through garage floor, any way to mediate?

    1. Member x047x's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 16th, 2004
      Location
      Pittsburgh
      Posts
      2,722
      Vehicles
      '08 335xi
      12-23-2013 09:03 AM #1
      Thanks to a big thaw and heavy rain this weekend, I discovered water coming through the concrete slab in our detached garage. Is there anything I can do to help minimize this? Does this pose any structural risks?







      The left side of the garage is built into a hill side. There is earth about 5 feet up that wall at least towards the front. This picture from before we bought the place gives some perspective:



      TIA and

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2010
      Location
      Columbus, OH
      Posts
      304
      12-23-2013 10:34 AM #2
      Assuming that you guys got as much rain as we did on Saturday, and adding the snow-melt, it's not surprising. I'd keep an eye on it during normal rains and see if there is still a problem.

      I was a bit nervous listening to the sump pumps run every 3 minutes all day Saturday.

    3. Senior Member spockcat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 4th, 2003
      Location
      near the Gandy, Frankland and Sunshine Skyway
      Posts
      26,911
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      12-23-2013 11:38 AM #3
      I'd make sure the gutters on the garage are clean and the downspouts are piped to pipes that are well away from the garage and on the downhill side.

    4. Member GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 24th, 2002
      Location
      Washington State
      Posts
      6,259
      Vehicles
      Sportage
      12-23-2013 02:05 PM #4
      if it's ground seep, then there's not many options. I think (based on HI shows) what you'd have to do is dig out around the garage where it's built into the ground, put down a drain system that pops out onto the right side of the garage, or pours out in front of the garage. I think consulting with a contractor/engineer would be prudent if you want to be absolutely sure and safe.

      option 2 would be to have everything up on risers in your garage, and have a squeegee and dehumidifier handy. if the concrete floor isn't breaking up, the ground probably is ok.

      throw down some soap and give the floor a scrub. almost a self washing floor.
      Colonel Leopold Wraithwood //// twitter: mbull //// blog //// "Marcel Bruwn" - Travoltified
      Stop making things idiot-proof. We're just making better idiots. Not the way we need to be going.

    5. Member emmettlodge's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2007
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      8,521
      Vehicles
      CTLS
      12-23-2013 08:36 PM #5
      What is occurring is condensation. The warm air is hitting the cold concrete, which still has frozen ground under it. This is causing condensation like you get on the outside of a cold glass. You don't have a water problem, it will go away. You can run a dehumidifier if you'd like.
      Future Chevy Colorado buyer.

    6. Member GeoffD's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2001
      Location
      Killington, Vt & South Dartmouth, Ma
      Posts
      11,940
      Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      12-24-2013 08:25 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      What is occurring is condensation. The warm air is hitting the cold concrete, which still has frozen ground under it. This is causing condensation like you get on the outside of a cold glass. You don't have a water problem, it will go away. You can run a dehumidifier if you'd like.
      Condensation won't produce that much water. This looks like a drainage problem. The previous post had it right. Gutters. Make sure the downspouts direct the water away. Re-grade to direct the water away. Worst case, a French drain on the high side of the garage.

    7. Member x047x's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 16th, 2004
      Location
      Pittsburgh
      Posts
      2,722
      Vehicles
      '08 335xi
      12-26-2013 07:11 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Bladecatcher View Post
      Assuming that you guys got as much rain as we did on Saturday, and adding the snow-melt, it's not surprising. I'd keep an eye on it during normal rains and see if there is still a problem.
      I suspect we had similar conditions. It was a lot of water to handle all at once (we've been in the place since July 1 and had three or four significant rainfalls since). This is the first time I've noticed any actual water, though I have noticed some humidity vicariously through a set of cheap pliers I have that started to rust.

      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      I'd make sure the gutters on the garage are clean and the downspouts are piped to pipes that are well away from the garage and on the downhill side.
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      Condensation won't produce that much water. This looks like a drainage problem. The previous post had it right. Gutters. Make sure the downspouts direct the water away. Re-grade to direct the water away. Worst case, a French drain on the high side of the garage.
      Good call, I'll make sure to get on a ladder asap if it's going to thaw again. I have a feeling you're right on with this one as the back of the garage is lined with several mature trees just waiting to drop sticks and brances along with leaves.

      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      if it's ground seep, then there's not many options. I think (based on HI shows) what you'd have to do is dig out around the garage where it's built into the ground, put down a drain system that pops out onto the right side of the garage, or pours out in front of the garage. I think consulting with a contractor/engineer would be prudent if you want to be absolutely sure and safe.

      option 2 would be to have everything up on risers in your garage, and have a squeegee and dehumidifier handy. if the concrete floor isn't breaking up, the ground probably is ok.

      throw down some soap and give the floor a scrub. almost a self washing floor.
      I'm really not worried about it enough to start excavating/hiring anyone. As for risers, fortunately I had everything off the ground already for the most part with the exception of my jacks. Everything else is water proof (gas cans, old oil jugs, etc).


      Sounds like I need to get the gutters cleaned, at least to start. Thanks for all the feedback!

    8. Member Mabe's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 27th, 2002
      Location
      Upstate NY
      Posts
      6,488
      Vehicles
      11 Silverado - 08 MDX Sport
      12-27-2013 02:20 AM #8
      Can you narrow it down to a single joint, crack or specific point of entry?

      This message was brought to you by my brain. A subsidiary of my penis.
      11 Silverado 1500 Z71
      08 Acura MDX Tech/Ent/Sport

    9. Member x047x's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 16th, 2004
      Location
      Pittsburgh
      Posts
      2,722
      Vehicles
      '08 335xi
      12-30-2013 07:08 AM #9
      I looked, and no I can't. It seems to be come through the bottom as indicated by the "bubbling" in the third picture being prevalent all over the left slab. I could likely be diagnosing this wrong though

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •