Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2014 Progress Thread

Vehicles
      2.9L 24v twin turbo VR6 on a stand, 2002 S6 Avant
      01-02-2014 08:42 AM #1
      A new thread for a new year.

You all know what to do and what not to do!

Link to the 2013 Thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...rogress-Thread
      Driversport|| Valley Dubs PM me for all your Fragola Fittings and Billy Boat Exhaust Needs!!!

The Elite 24v VR6 Club: Member #4

My Build Thread

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      01-02-2014 11:23 AM #3
      May all of our gainz be bountiful in 2014...This is the year I'm gonna do all those things I wanted to do

Goals

400lb squat
      450lb deadlift

at a lean weight of 170 that is what I want. pssht we'll see I gotta get to 170 first.

3. 01-02-2014 04:18 PM #4
      Slightly less alcohol.
      Continue to hit the gym 2x/week in order to keep my extraordinary mass of muscles
      Keep junk food restaurants profitable
      130 here I come
      2007 E90 AW 323i Step | Lowered 1.25"/1" | BMW Performance Exhaust | Debadged | Scangauge II | Style 162 18" & 161 17" wheels & rear 15mm spacers

4. Member
      01-02-2014 04:36 PM #5
      I am 4 months and some change shy of 40. My goal for 2014 is to remain in the 1200 club, keep my BP in the normal range, stay injury free, and get out of the gym a little more to do more activities I enjoy.

Progress will be:
      -get back on a regular MMA training routine and stop getting injured
      -try to be a little more accepting of people that I don't agree with
      -sleep more and better
      -stay on routine and not let social interferences always sidetrack me from my personal goals

Vehicles
      MKVI GTI, carbon steel gray, manual, sunroof/nav
      01-03-2014 01:58 AM #6
      My goal is to continue to improve on my postural problems, which will aid me in my strength goals. Stretch more consistently. Eat more vegetables and less processed ****.

Strength goals, just get closer to a 1000lb total. It's completely dependent on staying injury free, so I need to listen to my body better. I don't have specific goals for each lift. But I think a 405 dead lift goal is not unreasonable. I've gained around 7 pounds since summer, I'd like to keep the weight and try to recomp a bit. Stay around 160.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      13 Si, 07 Speed Triple
      01-03-2014 09:44 AM #7
      I resolve to grow longer arms. But seriously, I've upped my deadlift frequency in an attempt to break past the 200 kg/445 lb barrier. I've pulled 202.5, 195, 200 recently, but always failed at several attempts at 210. My torso is long and my arms are short, so I have almost no pulling power off the floor. If I can get it off the ground, it flies. I'm hoping that just increasing frequency will get me there, and I won't have to do anything crazy like deficit pulls or snatch grips.

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      01-03-2014 10:45 AM #8
      My resolution is to fix up my diet a bit more, and to start taking this whole thing more seriously.

I've got a 450/405/250 total right now, and that was accomplished eating half well, drinking relentlessly, and sleeping like ****. While that total is nothing spectacular, I can tell that I have a lot more in me. Just need to stop half-assing everything.

With that said, I do think I may remove deadlifts for a while early this year. The gym I go to has bumpers, and I'd like to take a bit more advantage of them. Plus, until this upcoming semester is over, I have to pull the day after I play hockey, and I'm just not really progressing due to it. I really have to think about this over the weekend as Monday starts the new routine.

8. 01-03-2014 02:00 PM #9
      Did some straight leg deads with 170 today for triples, felt really, really easy. Only about 70% of my max conventional dead (with straps). Would like to do 275 deadlift by the end of the year.

Vehicles
      01-03-2014 04:15 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by kryptonik View Post
      My resolution is to fix up my diet a bit more, and to start taking this whole thing more seriously.

I've got a 450/405/250 total right now, and that was accomplished eating half well, drinking relentlessly, and sleeping like ****. While that total is nothing spectacular, I can tell that I have a lot more in me. Just need to stop half-assing everything.

With that said, I do think I may remove deadlifts for a while early this year. The gym I go to has bumpers, and I'd like to take a bit more advantage of them. Plus, until this upcoming semester is over, I have to pull the day after I play hockey, and I'm just not really progressing due to it. I really have to think about this over the weekend as Monday starts the new routine.
      Ugh playing hockey while trying to squat and dead is brutal. I would always try to squat the day before hockey so that hopefully there wasn't too much soreness yet. If I squatted two days before I was too sore. Then I would dead two days after. But I was only playing once a week.

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      01-03-2014 04:52 PM #11
      Yeah I play Sunday nights. I'll usually squat Friday nights, and don't have too much of a problem that Sunday. I do have an issue pulling on the Monday or Tuesday after the game though. It's not even really a soreness issue. Playing just takes a lot out of me.

Vehicles
      01-03-2014 08:54 PM #12
      Anyone have any suggestions for stretches I can do to increase my flexibility to be able to use a closer grip on the squat? I squat much better with a closer grip because it's easier to lock the bar in place and keep my back tight. But it ****s my elbows up. I heard that's a shoulder mobility issue.

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      01-04-2014 06:56 AM #13
      I'm not sure this will help you or not because I'm using this for a completely different reason.

I do 50 reps daily (broken up into sets if needed) of broom/stick shoulder dislocations (not sure that's the right name) where you grab the broom stick with your hands wide apart at your waist and swing it over your head to your back and return keeping your arms straight and slowly moving your hands in as the reps progress and w/out having to bend arms or cheat.

I would think that would give you some more mobility right? I'm doing it to fix some shoulder impingement(sp?) issues and it's been working great.

13. 01-04-2014 08:02 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by ultimate steve View Post
      Anyone have any suggestions for stretches I can do to increase my flexibility to be able to use a closer grip on the squat? I squat much better with a closer grip because it's easier to lock the bar in place and keep my back tight. But it ****s my elbows up. I heard that's a shoulder mobility issue.

Could be shoulders, but could also be t-spine. Shoulder dislocates (as mentioned above) are great anyway, so it wouldn't hurt to throw those in. But I would also recommend some t-spine stretching on a foam roller.

Vehicles
      01-04-2014 01:27 PM #15
      Yea I've been doing those shoulder dislocates, and I practically live on the foam roller. I'm not sure what it is, I can get in position just fine, but one I rack the weight my elbows are in pain.

I've seen this video before but I never do the static one, and I just tried it and it is way harder with your elbows together and hands on your head. Ill add that to my rolling. I don't feel any cracks with that position though. But I'm no where near as flexible in that position, so maybe I should keep doing that.
      Last edited by ultimate steve; 01-04-2014 at 01:45 PM.

15. 01-04-2014 02:07 PM #16
      120, 140, 150, 160 front squat today. All for doubles, all with a pause. My legs are getting disgustingly huge.

Vehicles
      13 Si, 07 Speed Triple
      01-04-2014 05:33 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      My legs are getting disgustingly huge.
      Like Xander huge?

17. 01-04-2014 06:10 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by XiaoNio View Post
      Like Xander huge?
      Not nearly as defined, but probably close in overall size. Plus I'm natty

01-04-2014 06:27 PM #19
      Being proud of natty is like being proud to be the hall monitor

19. 01-04-2014 07:34 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver6 View Post
      Being proud of natty is like being proud to be the hall monitor
      Well then I guess it's a good thing that I'm not "proud" of being natty.

20. Member
      01-05-2014 10:26 AM #21
      I shoveled out 5 (actual shovel, not a blower) of my elderly neighbors houses yesterday in about 4 hours. My hammies and lower back are real sore, but that was a good workout that couldn't have been done without a little progress.

01-05-2014 02:39 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      Well then I guess it's a good thing that I'm not "proud" of being natty.
      I was just trolling. Heard that line before and was waiting to use it.

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      01-06-2014 06:56 AM #23
      I'm going to keep track of my diet and macros this year. I've already started to force the habit. I'm happy to see that a typical day is pretty close, though I need some tweaking to get more protein in my diet and more calories overall.

Also, I plan to begin section hiking the AT this year.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit
      01-06-2014 10:07 AM #24
      I'm hoping to maintain what strength I have while working 2 jobs, and eventually get back to a 350# deadlift. Also, I haven't had a bench in eons, and I've been working with everything I can to work the upper body. I'd really love to either get a bench or find a good gym and get over 200 again.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rub-ISH View Post
      I am now sucessfully motivated to get TED KENEDY levels of Sh!thoused and antagonize the antagonists...kudos

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      01-06-2014 01:34 PM #25
      Pulled a PR today for my deadlift..was testing out current maxes because I'm going on a stint of 5/3/1 so i needed good numbers to plug in. Pulled 365x1 was not expecting more then 330 as my past max was 315 (weak i know but I think it was all in my head before) really focused on exploding up and driving my feet into the floor...
      Anyhow my bench is absolutely atrocious...I shouldn't care really but I'd be lying if I said i didn't. 225 was the only thing I was able to get up....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

25. 01-06-2014 03:17 PM #26
      Woke up today with a stomach flu. Not the best start to the week. Fortunately it's all coming out the back and not the top at the moment. I ****ing hate puking.

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      01-06-2014 03:25 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Residentevol View Post
      Pulled a PR today for my deadlift..was testing out current maxes because I'm going on a stint of 5/3/1 so i needed good numbers to plug in. Pulled 365x1 was not expecting more then 330 as my past max was 315 (weak i know but I think it was all in my head before) really focused on exploding up and driving my feet into the floor...
      Anyhow my bench is absolutely atrocious...I shouldn't care really but I'd be lying if I said i didn't. 225 was the only thing I was able to get up....
      I wouldn't say 225 is atrocious. It's roughly 60% of your dead. I'd bet your squat is around 300 or so, which would be about 80% of your dead. I think that is kind of normal.

Vehicles
      01-06-2014 03:26 PM #28

How's your set-up for bench? It all recently just clicked for me on bench and have been making steady gains. The biggest thing was flexing the glutes during set-up and keeping them flexed. If your glutes are flexed, there will be a natural arch in the lower lumbar spine, and your whole back should feel tight and stable. Once I started doing this instead of focusing on having a huge arch, bench started to feel easy and my reps and numbers went up.

01-06-2014 03:47 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by damion16v View Post
      I'm hoping to maintain what strength I have while working 2 jobs, and eventually get back to a 350# deadlift. Also, I haven't had a bench in eons, and I've been working with everything I can to work the upper body. I'd really love to either get a bench or find a good gym and get over 200 again.
      Far easier to just make something to do dips on. It will give u a decent bench if you hit different rep ranges and keep at it. I used to do them between the washer and dryer and made progress lol
      Hate how wanting a big bench got douchy. Nothing wrong with it man, I'm in the same boat as you. Back in the day I didn't give it any special attention and now it's trailing way behind my DL and sqt

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit
      01-06-2014 03:57 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver6 View Post
      Far easier to just make something to do dips on. It will give u a decent bench if you hit different rep ranges and keep at it. I used to do them between the washer and dryer and made progress lol
      Whatever works. Thanks for the tip, I'd already maxed out on "chair" dips, so I'll find something to work.
      I am now sucessfully motivated to get TED KENEDY levels of Sh!thoused and antagonize the antagonists...kudos

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      01-06-2014 04:21 PM #31
      Whatever works. Thanks for the tip, I'd already maxed out on "chair" dips, so I'll find something to work.
      Start stacking books on your lap.

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit
      01-06-2014 04:35 PM #32
      I have two footstools I use now with a dumbell in my lap, but I'm all arms and legs so I don't get a good range of motion. I'm looking around the house now for any two things that can support 170 lbs.

01-06-2014 05:01 PM #33
      I have two footstools I use now with a dumbell in my lap, but I'm all arms and legs so I don't get a good range of motion. I'm looking around the house now for any two things that can support 170 lbs.
      Those feet up dips destroy shoulders. Find a way to hang weigh with leather belts or something.

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit
      01-06-2014 07:24 PM #34
      As i've learned. I grunted my way through it to the point that it's a pointless effort.

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      01-08-2014 10:52 AM #35
      Well, instead of following my own ideas, and not doing deads for a while, I went in last night and took the express shuttle to snapcity while warming up.

No idea what I ****ed up. Felt dead center of the rear of my pelvis when it happened. Today its my left side, up above my glute.

Feels muscular, but who knows. Not exactly stoked about it.

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast