Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Build: Mk1+Mk4+Komfort.. And a Give Away

Vehicles
      1960 Euro Bug, 1992 Golf VR6, 82 Caddy Diesel, 87 Cabby, etc
      01-03-2014 11:11 PM #1
      So... Over this past summer I reflected on all the things that my parents have done for my brother and I over the years, sacrificed for us, and frankly, put up with.
      Then I think of the cars my dad had years ago... A Triumph TR3 convertible.. A 65 or 66 LeMans convertible(luxo version of a GTO) bought new... Even a 69 Dodge Charger prior to the birth of my brother in 1970... Then ever since the birth of my brother, and a handful of years later came me, it was a slew of station wagons, econoboxes, minivans, 4 door sedands, etc.... The coolest thing they bought my entire life was when Ford introduced the Taurus SHO in 1989 with an at the time, awesome 210 or so HP Yamaha V6 and a 5 speed... But all along making sacrifices for the family(ie, my brother and I)... Even though my brother and I have long since grown up(and my brother passed away ) they have always put us first, themselves last...

Now that they are getting up in their years, I wanted to 1), show my appreciation for all they have done, which is more than I could fit in this post, and 2) give them something they would never probably get on their own... A vehicle to own for pure enjoyment.....

I have known for a long time my dad has had a thing for Karmann Ghias. So I started looking in May for one and couldnt find one that was a suitable candidate. About the same time, on a totally unrelated conversation which I wont bother going into, he made a comment that had me thinking by the process of deductive reasoning he might have an interest in Cabby's... So come August after a few months of looking for a decent Ghia, I rolled the dice and started looking for a Mk1 Cabby....

After a little over a month of searching, in mid September 2013 I found what I figured to be a suitable starting point.. Kid had an 89 Cabby that was a supposedly perfectly running car, and he was going to "fix it up"... Probably good for the Mk1 world his vision never came to fruition but I digress. The car was advertised as a complete but disassembled 89 Cab for like 600$...

Long story short we agreed on a price of $450, including a hardcover late model cab/rocco II bentley manual.

Idea would be classic Mk1 look, with modern reliability. Not going for speed, but dont want crappy CIS, or the contraption of brackets that makes up a Mk1 V belt assembly, so it would get a late model engine swap and EFI.

Here's the gem as it arrived home on the trailer on September 17, 2013...[/B]...

Gotta love the motorcycle turn signals hanging from the wires...

Had to wonder what this gay ass crap was for, since none of the wires were hooked up, especially to the head unit.. not that watching movies on a postage stamp is what my parents would be in to... Found out later..

First order of business was adressing its ****-eyedness on the passenger side...

The offending area was pulled straight, then new material from a donor was obtained...

Donor material cut out...

Area of body also cut out...

Two bodies become one..

Also... The donor for the engine, ECU, and accessories..

Vehicles
      01-03-2014 11:35 PM #2
      With the apron work done, the rust had to be addressed... Took care of them with and sand blaster.

Weld repair of the lip channel..

Lip channel weld repaired, and gas tank filler issues... Notice the donor material from Klockerholm up on top...

Patch panel profile marked out on the body...

Cut out and fitted prior to welding...

Welded in..

Then ground...

Vehicles
      '84 Rabbit, 2012 GTI
      01-03-2014 11:57 PM #3
      Woohoo! Good on you.

In for this.

Vehicles
      01-04-2014 12:04 AM #4
      Blew some epoxy primer on these areas to prevent rust because I had to go out of town for a week.

When I got back finished up some rust repair in the ends of the rear window scraper area..

Sanded the entire area again, and re-epoxy primed..

Then more sanding.. and

Rocker repairs..

Some weld repairs the to the rear panel..

Quarter panel repairs.. There was a crease in the quarter that needed to be pulled out and shrunk with the Uni Spotter.. The area of filler(bondo) looks big, but its 1/16" thick max...

Onto the windsheild frame...

Tired.. 4 to 5 hours sleep a night will do that to ya...

Vehicles
      01-04-2014 12:31 AM #5
      So if you ever done body work, you know sanding discs wind up all over the place...
      The Honey Dog managed to end up with this disc on her @$$ and not even know it..... LOL.... Shes awesome, my 3 year old Golden....

Anyhow, back to the build... Final coats in epoxy and filler work... so I thought..

There was no pics of a weld repair here, because there was no holes.. Just some minor pitting that a touch of filler took care of...

Final sanding of the epoxy.. Prep for the 2K primer...

And FINALLY primed with some 2K primer... For reference this was November 03, a month and a half after I started, with an unmentioned 2.0L top end rebuild unmentioned as well as a trip out of town for a week for work..

The existing doors were crap... so I sourced some straight ones and prepped the jambs on them as well...

6. Member
      Vehicles
      1979 VW Rabbit
      01-04-2014 01:00 AM #6
      Nice progress. I'll be watching. Maybe you mentioned it and I missed it, what color are you painting it?

Vehicles
      01-04-2014 01:41 AM #7
      SO...
      The original idea was to keep the build very very mild... Nothing too flashy since this car is for my parents.. My dad is 70, will be 71 in April...My mom is 65, to be 66 in a few weeks.. So I bought Tornado Red.. would keep the white interior, do a white top, basic wheels...

My parents came to visit and my dad saw the car... I told him it was for someone else who was paying me to do the job. He was like "Man, this is so cool, maybe I should get you to build me one like it."

Then I got ideas..
      Color changed a bit... Went with a yellow that I bought to put on my Mk2... Its 2012 Dodge Challenger color Stinger Yellow.. First thing was doing the interior and the door jambs..

Also at this point the pics get limited.. I counted on my memory stick in my camera, which long story short got lost, losing most of the

Then the miserable job of degreasing an doing the engine compartment began...

Thank goodness for a tractor with a lift boom.. anyone need a good running JH motor, hit me up..

Engine compartment sprayed...

Wheels arrived on November 13th! Dub Felgen Classicos!

As well as a bunch of other stuff...

With all the new goods, it was time to get back to work... Had to smooth, epoxy prime, and spray the bumpers, as well as jamb the rear hatch, flares, and underside of the hood...

Last edited by BoostedOne; 01-04-2014 at 01:52 AM.

Vehicles
      01-04-2014 02:23 AM #8
      So with the car jambed, engine out, I started looking at finishing up the exterior..
      First problem.. While the car came with a rear hatch and a latch, there was no trunk lock, or mechanisnm, nor was the 3rd brake light present..Remember the silly @$$ video screen from the first post? When looking at the rear hatch and this unknown hole about 1/2" diamter it became apparant that it was for a backup camera, because the previous owner was a self appointed stereo expert who deleted the rear window from the top in favor of a huge subwoofer enclosure...

I kicked about different options to remedy the situation... Then after the inspriation of a fridge full of good German bier...

I went out to the parts New Beetle and played around with the hatch popper... I found a way to attach that popper to the cabby mechanism, which unfortunately the pics are on the previously mentioned lost memory stick... But once I got the latch to operate reliably, that determined the course of action on the sheet metal.. SHAVE!!!
      A patch panel was made to fill the 3rd brake light, as well as fill that stupid @$$ backup camera hole, and the pushbutton hole... While I was at it, I shaved the emblems..

Primed and ready for paint faster than I could find a fellow Vortexer to butt rape me for a 3rd brake light LOL...

With that left me with another issue.. Now that the hatch was shaved, the side markers which look like heck in the first place would look even more out of place now. Not to mention that every side marker I have is cracked and dried out... And best deal I could muster was from a texer who would sell me some for $20 each plus shipping... Eff that, an hour with a welder...

Typical before...

Patches...

Spot welded..

Fully welded..

Grinding..

Ground and low spots identified...

Unispotter employed to pull low spots and shrink expanded metal...

What side marker??

Time to put the doors and hood back on, mask again, and do final block sanding as well as smooth out the hood...

Primed....
      Last edited by BoostedOne; 01-04-2014 at 02:30 AM.

Vehicles
      01-04-2014 02:44 AM #9
      So with the body sanded with 220, then 320, and finally 600, it was time to make a failed attempt at a paint booth...

Put 4 mil visqueen on the rafters, an area about 12x20'.....

The walls were permanently anchored to the rafters at the top... and at the bottom were attached to a pipe so they could be rolled up when not in use...

Put 2 air conditioner filters, 25x20 on the "back wall" as air inlets..

Put a fan up on the "front wall"... and proceeded to spray the base coat...

BIG FAIL... Even with the two inlet filters, even with the single fan on low, it would suck the walls in and lift the pipes up off the floor sucking the bugs in...

Vehicles
      01-04-2014 02:55 AM #10
      Long story short, and a lot of cussing later, I stopped after spraying the base coat and attacked it next morning before the bugs got heavy... Grey scotchbrighted the bugs out and resprayed base with PPG DBC 2000 and then did the clear with Southern Polyurethantes clear...

Fetched my FK smoked headlights, the badgless grille, and grille spoiler for some trial fitting...

Put the smoked tails in, fitted the rear hatch, etc...

Friend came by to help install the top..

This is December 12th, slightly less than 3 months from beginning the project...

Vehicles
      80' caddy
      01-04-2014 03:11 AM #11
      ripping apart one girl car just to build another girl car . nice work. good luck with the rest of the build.
      "Hi-fi Gods try so hard to make their cars low to the ground"

Vehicles
      01-04-2014 03:17 AM #12
      The next few weeks was getting ready for Christmas, which this car was supposed to be part of it..
      To get the car ready required pulling the donor motor, and making the conversion engine mount for the internal water pump Mk4 engine...

After that, was a bunch of wiring.....

As well as new brakes, new axles, new wheel bearings....New clutch, making the radiator fit, making coolant hoses, and FITTING A/C... Yep, an internal waterpump engine swap with A/C...

Also had to trailer the car into town for an alignment..

After that, finally got to take the first ride on December 28th!

Installed the smoked turn signals a buddy did..

Another ass shot because I can...

Late night on Dec 28th, after spending most of the day wet sanding the body with 1200...

Went to bed that night at 2am to wake up at 5:30 am to respray the door and hatch where I accidentally sanded through the base coat..

After spraying, took a break to get some breakfast. Then back at sanding with 1500...

Late at night, finally done wet sanding, then buffed with cutting compound then polishing compound..

It was a long night Sunday the 29th.... During Christmas I told my parents I ordered their gift online. On Saturday I told them it was here and I could give it to them monday the 30th.. Still had a lot of interior and trim to put on when I woke up that morning..
      Last edited by BoostedOne; 01-04-2014 at 03:19 AM.

Vehicles
      01-04-2014 03:29 AM #13
      So here are the final(at the moment) pics...
      Got up the morning of the 30th. finished installing the interior... Got the side trim on, etc.

OBDII port, LOL...

Engine..

Exterior...

Then the camera battery died and didnt get a chance to charge till my parents showed up...

But heres the totally thrilled new owners!

Although they dont actually have the car just yet. They got it registered so I can look for any issues with the car and I have been driving it.. So far I have about 300 miles on it with no issues.. Fires right up, runs strong. But I need to sort out the suspension, and un-ghetto the exhaust. Plan is to give it to them in a few weeks..

My dad is on the hook for the interior.. Trying to talk him into a charcoal with suede inserts...

Vehicles
      01-04-2014 03:38 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Sk8rat View Post
      ripping apart one girl car just to build another girl car . nice work. good luck with the rest of the build.
      LOL.. Don't have a good come back for that, LOL... But I will say I have been messing with watercooled VW's since around 1992..And always hated Cabby's.... Until I drove this thing.. Now as much as I hate to admit it, I want to build one for myself..haha...

Vehicles
      '92 Cabriolet, '88 Cabriolet, '83 Jetta sedan, '12 Eos
      01-04-2014 05:02 AM #15
      I'd love to build something for my dad someday. Good for you , and I hope your folks enjoy it!
      If you make something idiot proof, a better idiot will come along.

16. 01-04-2014 08:18 AM #16
      I hate you... You make me look like a slacker...

Great job man!!! They must have been so excited! And that car came out beautiful, I will be there next week so we can paint mine

Edit- please remove this thread before my wife sees it and realizes how all my projects "could" be built!
      Last edited by VeroDubs; 01-04-2014 at 08:51 AM.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      G60 on CIS-E and a bunch of other VW's
      01-04-2014 06:22 PM #17

Just read through the whole thread.
      Awesome work and an awesome gift.
      You gave me a lot of ideas and probably saved me the time trying to make my own plasti-booth disaster.
      Very nice, thanks for the details and pictures.

I'll have to show this to my 2nd daughter, that has mentioned wanting a yellow cabby.
      Well done
      G60 on CIS-E, Now Twin Screw on CIS-E
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-CIS-E-G-Lader

Vehicles
      80' caddy
      01-04-2014 06:40 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by BoostedOne View Post
      LOL.. Don't have a good come back for that, LOL... But I will say I have been messing with watercooled VW's since around 1992..And always hated Cabby's.... Until I drove this thing.. Now as much as I hate to admit it, I want to build one for myself..haha...
      haha, ive never been a fan of cabbys but im just bustin your balls. ive always thought cabbys were embarrassing cars to be seen in but after driving an all white mk3 cabriolet for a day with the top stuck down a cabby doesn't seem so bad haha.
      "Hi-fi Gods try so hard to make their cars low to the ground"

Vehicles
      mk1 coupe mk2 coupe
      01-04-2014 07:49 PM #19
      great job
      VW Fiends German Speed Society Banchwerks PVW 4/08 & 7/12
      Nothing leaves Stock Creep Customz Brokestatus Get Low Unix Performance Gengstout

Vehicles
      project central
      01-04-2014 10:04 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by 2mAn View Post
      go crash into a hybrid
      For powder coating and fabrication ---> www.roguemetalworks.com
      IG- Roguemetal

Vehicles
      '83 gti aba
      01-05-2014 10:54 AM #21
      im not a big fan of cabbys but the color combo you chose for the exterior looks really good, i would have left the black trim lines off though, looked better in the pics without it.

nice job though, clearly you dont waste time!

Vehicles
      01-05-2014 10:57 AM #22
      Thanks a lot guys! Yeah my parents were blown away, and still in shock when they went back home 2 days later.
      The cool thing is my dad is now excited about finishing it up. He took the original seats and door panels with him, and has been going around getting interior quotes. The suspension on the car sucks, and I was weighing options with him when they were here and he looked baffled and just told me to "figure it out". I talked to him on Friday and he was asking if I ordered the yellow Koni's yet, and started talking about springs.. I was like "you been on the internet since you were here haven't you" lol...

But the car is still in my possession for a few weeks while I finish up some things and also put miles on it to see if anything breaks.
      Other than the suspension needs exhaust work and a small list of minor knick knacks.
      The exhaust sucks because I had to go with a toilet bowl manifold, mated to a chopped up cat back that was fitted with the silly Skunk2 grapefruit launcher seen in the early pics. I didn't know you could make a Vw sound that bad.
      It took all day yesterday, but I made a downpipe to fit the tubular dual outlet manifold to the car, and part of that was also Fabbing a short shift kit.
      WOW! What a difference. The car ran pretty strong with the toilet bowl so I didn't expect much, especially with the horrible cat back. But on dry pavement from a 5 mph roll and clutch already engaged if you stab the throttle it almost breaks the tires loose and squats down in the back and rubs the tires! This is one of the higher geared 020's with the 3.67 ring gear too and some fairly wide tires, not skinny tires and a 3.94 ring gear.

Will post pics of the exhaust later after I get them off the cam.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

23. Member
      Vehicles
      G60 on CIS-E and a bunch of other VW's
      01-05-2014 03:38 PM #23
      G60 on CIS-E, Now Twin Screw on CIS-E
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-CIS-E-G-Lader

Vehicles
      01-06-2014 11:40 AM #24
      So as mentioned, got rid of the toilet bowl.
      Crazy me, when I was in the middle of the build frantically trying to get it together for Christmas, I assumed the tubular exhaust manifold from the AEG would just fit right on, and i would have to fab a downpipe. I found it hit the shift linkage, and since time was of the essence I just threw the toilet bowl back on the car. For some reason a toilet bowl works fine with a tall deck, where as NOTHING else for a short deck does...

I know Techtonics sells a tall deck dual outlet downpipe, but it costs $300 plus shipping, plus about a week of shipping time to get here, and I will still have to mod it anyhow to fit it to the MkIV cat converter. I went with a stock MkIV cat because, well, they actually flow better and perform the job of a converter better than most aftermarket high flow cats. So the plan was to take a stock MkIV downpipe, cut the pipes off(and keep the flex joint), and build the rest from there.

So on Saturday I got back into it...
      Man, I LOVE working on crossflows.. Within 10 minutes you can get to the exhaust manifold.

Popped the toilet bowl clamps off for the last time ever on this car and unbolted the manifold....

AEG Tubular manifold.. I made a half hearted attempt to prefab the downpipe and said the heck with it.. Will do it on the car..

FIRST CHALLENGE YOU WILL ENCOUNTER ON THE AEG MANIFOLD:
      The swing lever on the 020 swings too far, and will hit the stud. On this particular manifold I cut the stud off so I could determine how much the shift throw needed to clear in order for it not to hit. You basically need to cut the shift throw in half.

To reduce the throw, you can either lengthen that arm, or shorten the one that goes on the transmission. I decided to shorten the one on the tranny.

It is right about 3.5" from the center of the hole for the shaft on the tranny to the center of the hole for the shift rod. Decreasing this distance to 1.75" will cut the shift throw by the required 50%.
      So I cut the uppermost portion off of the lever, then determined if I bend the lever where it is now like a 30 degree bend into a 90 degree bend, I will end up right about that 1.75". Used a torch to heat a fine line across the linkage and bent it.

Trimmed the peices for the correct offset and final hole spacing.

I have been experimenting more with the TIG welder lately. A few months ago, I would have just MIG'd it, but decided I wanted it to be strong so went the TIG route.

I thought I took a pic of the manifold in there, with the shorter throw. I guess i didnt, but rest assured, it worked fine.

NEXT PROBLEM, IF YOU TRY TO USE THE AEG DOWNPIPE AS A STARTING POINT:
      I trust the original MKIV style downpipe flex joint ten times more than I would trust the Techtonics setup. Its designed to go several hundred thousand miles without issue. It has reinforcing to help take the weight of the exhaust off the bellows. Unfortunately, those "ears" for the reinforcing interferes with the shift linkage too, in another spot!
      About halfway up the incline, the linkage interferes just barely outside of the nuetral position. The area where the rod attaches is in the clear, just the mid span.

Since there is no obstructions below the linkage, and since I have a few of these laying around, I made a modified linkage out of two.
      I first cut off the top portion of a stock linkage:

I then flattened the linkage arm. I then cut another linkage and made that 30 degree bend into a 90. Then trimmed and fitted until it had the same functional dimensions as a stock arm, then TIG'd it together.

Works perfect!

I dont have many pictures of making the rest of the downpipe, because much of the work was done under the car and was an extremely tedious process of trimming and refitting, more trimming, and more refitting.
      But for supplies you will need qty 1, 45 degree, 1.75" J-bend. This will be cut into more like a pair of 20 degree bends, and cut off at the bends(dont leave any straight stubs). The AEG stubs will point back straight and towards the firewall. The two stubby 20 degree bends will get the pipes pointed straight down when looking from the side, as well as pointed a little towards the center of the car when looking friom the front.
      You will also need qty 2, 90 degree 1.75" J-bends, and a stub of 2.25" pipe to make a 2.5" collector. You will have to hammer the 2.25" pipe at the top and bottom to make it flat, then when you make the collector, make the sides of where the two 1.75" pipes come together make them about 2.5" or so apart.

Heres the final profile of the tubes at the collector... This took about 2 hours

Welded. I was going to TIG it, but I was only expecting the job to take about three hours, and at this point I hardly ate that day, and I was starving and wanted to get it done.. And when it comes down to it, mig welds on exhaust pipe work great if done well.

Put it back on, finished up the collector, and tied it into the cat back.

Last edited by BoostedOne; 01-06-2014 at 11:44 AM.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      MK1 GTI, '95 Golf 2.0T
      01-06-2014 05:14 PM #25
      Awesome work!!

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast