VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Bought Acquaintance's Grandfathers (Original Owner) 1982 Rabbit... New Information Complicates It

7K views 63 replies 41 participants last post by  pho 
#1 ·
So basically a guy I know sells me his grandfather's Rabbit which was collecting dust for the last few years in his driveway. I bought the car at a very reasonable price (well below market value) and was aware that the car hadn't been driven in a couple years. When I purchased the car, I was told that the car had been registered through the DMV as a non-op so essentially all I would need to do to have a running and driving first-generation rabbit, would be to get it operational and then restart the registration.

The car has sat in my garage for the past eight months, and I finally got the motivation to start working on it. I just stop by AAA and found out that the car haven't been registered since 2006 and there are almost $900 in fees owed (and the car will need to be smog before I can complete registration). This obviously dramatically changes the financial perspective of this car.

The original idea was to spend $1000 or so on getting the car running very well and fixing up the exterior and interior of the car. I really have grown attached to the car but given that I haven't spent any time or money since the car arrived, I'm wondering if I should just cut my losses.

The car seems to be in good condition and like I mentioned is an original owner, but even if I just sell the car, I will need to factor in what the next owner would have to pay to register it. What would you do?

See less See more
#6 ·
The car has clearly been off the road for a while, and the paint is essentially nonexistent. But the body is very mostly straight and essentially rust free. What makes me hesitate is that I have essentially no mechanical skills or the ability to work on the car at home, so I'm concerned about sinking more money into it knowing that I may not be able to recoup it when the car is sold once I factor in the almost $1000 in registration costs alone.

#9 ·
Fees that accrued BEFORE you bought it are the seller's problem. *They're* the one who needs to man up and pay, since they misrepresented the state of the registration when they sold it to you. You paying all the fees would be like paying someone else's parking tickets. It's different if you would have known about them and willingly taken on that financial obligation when you got the car, but in the situation you described, I'd go after the seller.

Can you go to the DMV with the bill-of-sale and get it registered by paying only whatever accrued after the purchase date, and let DMV go after the previous owner for the rest?

#10 ·
Did you buy an old Mk1 Rabbit because you wanted to wash/wax/sell for profit or did you buy it because you like old VWs? I was originally going to accuse you of buying it because because you're a too cheap to buy an abused Mk4 and Mk1 cars and parts are fairly cheap but I see that you have newer cars in your profile. If it was to flip for profit then you just gambled and lost, if it was to have a project car with character then carry on. You never "invest" money into a car, you might invest time but money is going to be lost.

#13 ·
Have you contacted the seller? I would drop him a line and give him a chance to do the right thing. Chances are he did not know about fees. See if he will at least meet you in the middle.

#14 ·
When I purchased the car, I was told that the car had been registered through the DMV as a non-op so essentially all I would need to do to have a running and driving first-generation rabbit, would be to get it operational and then restart the registration.

The car has sat in my garage for the past eight months, and I finally got the motivation to start working on it. I just stop by AAA and found out that the car haven't been registered since 2006 and there are almost $900 in fees owed (and the car will need to be smog before I can complete registration).
California Problems. :laugh:

#21 · (Edited)
This...

On another note...I had my Integra sit for 3 years in my driveway as I chipped away at it and made it road worthy...even with the costs of the DMV, insurance, and repairs and going over budget...seeing it finally on the road was well worth the cost of admission...(wasn't/still not interested in selling it though, if thats what your intentions are).

#26 ·
Mate you didn't do your homework pure and simple, it's nobodies fault but your own.

Complete this sentence for yourself : If it seems to good to be true then ...................................... :screwy:

It sounds as if it was hardly a bargain in the first place if it has been so badly looked after it's got virtually no paint left !!!!!

Cut your losses and sell it for what you can get, if you made such a "great deal" in the first place you should be fine !!

#31 ·
Wait until the car "falls out" of the system, then reregister it. All fees should disappear.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr14.htm

It's usually 7 years. However, you may have just screwed yourself. By making a hit on the record prior to the 7 year mark, it may revive the records according to some forums.

#32 ·
Why didnt you check for back fees before purchasing? Friend or not, I'd always check first when looking for older cars (mkIIs, e30s, etc) and CA makes it so easy you can check on your phone while looking at the car:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/renewalForm.do

At this point just decide if you want a mk1 or not and go from there. Since you got it for cheap, sell it for that and disclose the backfees to anyone who's interested. If the car is clean enough, you may be able to break even and walk away.

#38 ·
One good reason for the buyer and seller to go to the DMV together to get the transfer and registration paperwork done. If there is any problem like this, it will be discovered and the deal called off, or postponed until the seller fixes the title and registration problem.

California does have a non-operational registration status, but the back registration fees due indicates that such non-operational registration status was not properly done.

#39 ·
you could sell to an out of state buyer, and then not worry about the fees.

Or, you could abandon the stripped out shell somewhere and have your acquaintance then see how selling a car and not being truthful about the reg status was not worth the illegal dumping fines.

#41 ·
I'm willing to bet that the car was not in the acquaintance's name but rather the gentleman that passed away.

It looks like in CA the seller would be responsible to provide a smog certificate with the vehicle.

http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr_info.htm

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm

Dumping the car somewhere would likely result in bills being sent to a dead guy. Since the dead guys articles were disposed of in such a careless manner there is probably no estate to go after, and even if there was there is a good chance OP waited so long that there is nothing left to get a hold of.

In all seriousness, as others have said, OP should stick the thing on ebay with full disclosure and dump and run.

#40 ·
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr01.htm

Buyer Beware

When a California registered vehicle is purchased, the new owner (buyer) will be responsible for any past due fees and penalties when the vehicle is transferred into the new owner’s name, unless:

The vehicle registration is current.
The PNO is on file with the DMV. Fees must be paid before operation to avoid penalties.
I don't know why some see this as unreasonable.

You buy a home, if there are back taxes owned on it or whatever you don't get the deed until that and any other liens are cleared. Why would this be any different?

Sorry OP...unfortunately I think you got a sh*t deal but more homework should have been done on your part too. Knowing that the car was not currently registered I think you should have verified the non-OP status.

#46 ·
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr01.htm

I don't know why some see this as unreasonable.

You buy a home, if there are back taxes owned on it or whatever you don't get the deed until that and any other liens are cleared. Why would this be any different?

Sorry OP...unfortunately I think you got a sh*t deal but more homework should have been done on your part too. Knowing that the car was not currently registered I think you should have verified the non-OP status.
It's idiotic and simply a way to price gouge the piss out of the peasants living there.

When you buy an xbox from a friend, do you have to pay registration fees?

If the vehicle is no in operation on the highway (expired plates) it should not require any registration or fees. That's how it is out here. You can let registration go delinquent any year you want, not pay for years and when you decide you want a 2014 sticker its just an extra $15 for a late renewal. You don't have to pay for the years the vehicle was not in use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.