VWVortex.com - The OT kitchen: what are you cooking?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 97 of 103 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101 ... LastLast
    Results 2,401 to 2,425 of 2556

Thread: The OT kitchen: what are you cooking?

Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      04-17-2017 07:45 AM #2401
      Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
      I keep saying I need to make crepes , buy farmer's cheese, and sweeten it with confectioners' sugar to make blintzes.

Here's a great, easy chocolate dipping sauce for chocolate crepes. Make it a thick as you want depending on how long you do the boil after the cocoa is added. very easy, and you'll never but a chocolate sauce.

Chocolate Dipping Sauce

Crafts, Kevin. Ebelskivers. Filled pancakes and other mouthwatering miniatures. San Francisco, CA: Weldon Owen Publishing, 2009.

½ cup (4 oz / 125 g) sugar
      2/3 cup (2 oz / 60 g) unsweetened Cocoa powder, preferably Dutch processed
      ¼ teaspoon salt
      1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

In a saucepan, combine ¾ cup (6 fl oz / 180 mL) water and the sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook, stirring often, until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is clear, 3 to 5 minutes. Whisk in the cocoa powder and salt, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer until the mixture is smooth and slightly thickened, about 3 minutes longer. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. The sauce will thicken a little more as it cools. (The sauce can be made up to 3 days in advance and stored, tightly covered, in the refrigerator.)

Makes about ¾ cup (6 fl oz / 180 mL)

i bought Pyrex bowls with lids to use for several things, but one task in particular was to do double-boiler duty for chocolate.
      Quote Originally Posted by John Steinbeck
      Sectional football games have the glory and the despair of war, and when a Texas team takes the field against a foreign state, it is an army with banners.

2. Senior Member
      04-17-2017 08:44 AM #2402
      I have my grandmother's Wear-Ever double boiler. They, and similar ones like I found at either a Salvation Army store ... No, I think a consignment shop ( http://www.tablestoteapots.com/ )with a bunch of other kitchen small-wares are very inexpensive.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...oiler&_sacat=0

A real double boiler comes in handy for things like lemon mousse.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...9-Lemon-Mousse

04-17-2017 08:55 AM #2403
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      That's the way I serve it up. I usually sneak a little horseradish in the slaw for fun.

It looks good for electric and I'm sure it's super tender with the sous vide. Did you have any trouble rendering the fat? I let my butt get to 205-ish to help it render.
      No problem rendering it. The souls vide melts everything down, at a much lower temperature. You just need to be ok with the wait.

Worked out to be the perfect amount of meat, I am glad it didn't go to.my usual butcher and get my usual 6 lb shoulder. I cannot stop eating pulled pork, and would have vacuumed up the leftoverin no time.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      04-17-2017 09:15 AM #2404
      I have my grandmother's Wear-Ever double boiler. They, and similar ones like I found at either a Salvation Army store ... No, I think a consignment shop ( http://www.tablestoteapots.com/ )with a bunch of other kitchen small-wares are very inexpensive.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...oiler&_sacat=0

A real double boiler comes in handy for things like lemon mousse.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...9-Lemon-Mousse
      My wife's mom has one that we use a lot for stuff like cake balls and truffles that need to be dipped in chocolates. We use it so much that someone happened to get us one for the wedding. When we get into our new place at the end of this month I'd like to see what else I can do with it along with all the other awesome kitchen things.

5. Senior Member
      04-17-2017 10:25 AM #2405
      Yup. Buckeyes are dipped in chocolate. I use it for that, too.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...06579-Buckeyes

It's been a while since I've been to the consignment shop I posted above. Should take a ride up there.

Vehicles
      02 24V GTI - POS Subaru
      04-17-2017 10:30 AM #2406
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      Falafel, tabouleh, hummus, cukes and some tzatziki-kind of stuff = oh yeah

Looks great !

I would love to get more info on where I can fine recipes !!
      PSN: PainKiller-sas-

7. Senior Member
      04-19-2017 08:20 AM #2407
      Big batch of pork fried rice on Saturday for dinner and to have leftovers for the week.

http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/cgi...num=1492604066

Vehicles
      15 Outback 3.6R
      04-19-2017 09:58 AM #2408
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      I always look at food availability from a skewed perspective living out here. Is mahi a rare cut where you live?
      Mahi mahi is what jumps on your hook when you're tuna fishing. It's not rare at all on the east coast. With global warming, it's starting to show up in New England. It used to be that you didn't see much of it north of Cape May / south Jersey. In Hatteras, it's really common.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      04-19-2017 10:11 AM #2409
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      Mahi mahi is what jumps on your hook when you're tuna fishing. It's not rare at all on the east coast. With global warming, it's starting to show up in New England. It used to be that you didn't see much of it north of Cape May / south Jersey. In Hatteras, it's really common.
      But when you're in a land locked town that votes Olive Garden as the best local Italian restaurant, it's sometimes hard to find much more than Tuna, Tilapia, and Salmon.

I think for this weekend I want a burger with a fried egg on top. Runny yolks make everything better.

Vehicles
      mom car & a miata
      04-19-2017 01:46 PM #2410
      No problem rendering it. The souls vide melts everything down, at a much lower temperature. You just need to be ok with the wait.

Worked out to be the perfect amount of meat, I am glad it didn't go to.my usual butcher and get my usual 6 lb shoulder. I cannot stop eating pulled pork, and would have vacuumed up the leftoverin no time.
      Interesting, I guess I've rendered fat at lower temps too in the sous vide. I wonder why the magic temp for smoking pork is 200-205?

There is so much of the science of cooking I still need to learn.

11. Senior Member
      04-19-2017 02:10 PM #2411
      Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot™ View Post
      ... in a land locked town that votes Olive Garden as the best local Italian restaurant ...

Was only in OG once 10 years ago when a friend was moving back down South. The food was pretty nothing.

LOVED John Oliver on OG: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJxnAR8Vs0I

Vehicles
      15 Outback 3.6R
      04-19-2017 07:00 PM #2412

Was only in OG once 10 years ago when a friend was moving back down South. The food was pretty nothing.

On a business trip a few years ago, a co-worker wanted to go to one. It had been a tough day and he just wanted the least possible hassle. I hadn't been in a couple of decades and it's still the most bland Italian ever. I wouldn't have picked it but it wasn't horrible.

I kind of question calling tilapia "fish". I think it's actually soylent white.

04-20-2017 03:09 AM #2413
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      Interesting, I guess I've rendered fat at lower temps too in the sous vide. I wonder why the magic temp for smoking pork is 200-205?

There is so much of the science of cooking I still need to learn.
      It's not so much the temperature it is the time. There are some insane recipes for ribs out there, that call for 72 hours at 130 for instance.

Had the sous vide still out so did a lemon pepper, poached salmon over Hapa rice with a healthy amount of Irish butter.

Quite tasty, but I should have lowered the temperature a bit more.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      04-20-2017 08:45 AM #2414

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      On a business trip a few years ago, a co-worker wanted to go to one. It had been a tough day and he just wanted the least possible hassle. I hadn't been in a couple of decades and it's still the most bland Italian ever. I wouldn't have picked it but it wasn't horrible.

I kind of question calling tilapia "fish". I think it's actually soylent white.
      They do have a marsala braised short rib that was good. It inspired me to make my own. Their "Zuppa Toscana" was the first time I had a tuscan potato soup. I make my own now.

15. Senior Member
      04-20-2017 08:51 AM #2415
      If I even had a choice between Sbarro's and OG, I'd choose Sbarro's every time.

Used to grab Sbarro's in Union Station, DC, before getting on the train back to Trenton NJ. Miss those days 20+ years ago. Damn, time flies.
      Last edited by Cooper; 04-20-2017 at 08:55 AM.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      04-20-2017 09:09 AM #2416
      If I even had a choice between Sbarro's and OG, I'd choose Sbarro's every time.

Used to grab Sbarro's in Union Station, DC, before getting on the train back to Trenton NJ. Miss those days 20+ years ago. Damn, time flies.
      Italian that isn't frozen from a bag is also hard to find. I'd like to start cooking more, but with trying to not be as much of a fatty it's not the best cuisine for losing weight.

Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      04-20-2017 10:37 AM #2417
      On the Eye-talian theme, we made an arugula and prosciutto pizza last night. Whipped up a quick red sauce with a box of crushed tomatoes, paste, some garlic infused olive oil, and some dried herbs and spices. Pizza dough was from a Blue Apron recipe last week that we didn't make. Rolled it, sauced it, added some sliced moz, and baked it in a 475 degree oven for 15 mins. While it was in the oven, we threw together a lemon vinaigrette and tossed it in some arugula. Pizza came out of the oven and loaded it with the greens, torn ham, and some shredded parm. Quick, easy and delicious!
      Sectional football games have the glory and the despair of war, and when a Texas team takes the field against a foreign state, it is an army with banners.

Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      04-20-2017 10:44 AM #2418
      Italian that isn't frozen from a bag is also hard to find. I'd like to start cooking more, but with trying to not be as much of a fatty it's not the best cuisine for losing weight.

Its ironic because Italians, Greeks and other so-called "Mediterranean Diet" cultures have lower incidents of obesity and heart disease. I think our problem here is that we've defined Italian food very narrowly here; carb heavy fare like pasta and bread. We've ignored the fish, nuts, olives, etc...

04-21-2017 02:33 AM #2419

Made chickpeas from dry last night. Mashed up half and tried my hand a falafel. I am attempting to eat a bit healthier, so we baked instead of deep frying. Rookie mistake. Was good but lacked the crunch.

Still tasty with tzatziki sauce, feta, parsley, and lemon.

Next time deep fried.

20. 04-21-2017 07:52 AM #2420

Made chickpeas from dry last night. Mashed up half and tried my hand a falafel. I am attempting to eat a bit healthier, so we baked instead of deep frying. Rookie mistake. Was good but lacked the crunch.

Still tasty with tzatziki sauce, feta, parsley, and lemon.

Next time deep fried.
      I have never tried air frying but Id like to see how falafel would turn out. One of my friends girlfriends swears by hers.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      04-21-2017 09:46 AM #2421
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      Its ironic because Italians, Greeks and other so-called "Mediterranean Diet" cultures have lower incidents of obesity and heart disease. I think our problem here is that we've defined Italian food very narrowly here; carb heavy fare like pasta and bread. We've ignored the fish, nuts, olives, etc...
      I know, I know....

Like the Marsala braised shot ribs are high in protein and contain no carbs. I like fish as well, but dammit! Every once in a while I want carby carb carb carb pasta stuffed with massive amounts of cheese.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      04-21-2017 10:47 AM #2422
      Do you have a Carrabba's anywhere near you? They make most of the pasta fresh in the restaurant, chop all the herbs, make all the sauces, soup, etc. in house. It is the only chain Italian I will go to.

I'm of Italian descent and my extended family still has restaurants in the Memphis area (though the big famous one has closed down). We got to talking about chain restaurants at the last family reunion and how bad Olive Garden/etc. is -- then I asked what they thought about Carrabba's. The answer was sort of a reluctant but respectful head nod with something like "You knowwwwww... they actually do a pretty nice job."
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      15 Outback 3.6R
      04-21-2017 11:11 AM #2423
      Do you have a Carrabba's anywhere near you? They make most of the pasta fresh in the restaurant, chop all the herbs, make all the sauces, soup, etc. in house. It is the only chain Italian I will go to.
      There aren't many in New England. I'll have to keep that in mind. I've eaten at a few of the Maggiano's Little Italy chain on business trips. There's one in Philly and one in the north Atlanta 'burbs I've been to. That's the only edible Italian chain food I've ever had.

24. Senior Member
      04-21-2017 12:01 PM #2424
      I think it may have been at the Maggiano's in Bridgewater, NJ. Nan was visiting her parents and sister and they were out to dinner.

Our young nephew Charlie got up, walked to the center of the restaurant, came back, and sat down.

Lynn, his mother was , "what was that all about Charlie?"

"You told me not to toot (fart) at the table."

"I didn't mean to go to someone else's table to toot!"

Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      04-21-2017 12:18 PM #2425

I'm of Italian descent and my extended family still has restaurants in the Memphis area (though the big famous one has closed down). We got to talking about chain restaurants at the last family reunion and how bad Olive Garden/etc. is -- then I asked what they thought about Carrabba's. The answer was sort of a reluctant but respectful head nod with something like "You knowwwwww... they actually do a pretty nice job."
      I partied with one of the Carrabba boys (nephew of Johnny Carraba) waaaaaaay back in the day. /brag

The family has retained ownership of two restaurants here (that I know of). The rest of the chain is owned by some corporate entity.

Quote Originally Posted by VillageIdiot
      I know, I know....

... but dammit! Every once in a while I want carby carb carb carb pasta stuffed with massive amounts of cheese.
      Dude, you do NOT have to explain that to me. I am not a sweet eater and I can skip dessert without a second glance, but carbs are my downfall. Trust me, I totally get it! I have an amazing recipe for Alfredo that's not strictly authentic, but good god it really is an almost holy experience. I hesitate to share it because I don't know if I want eveyrone else's diabeetus on my conscience.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 97 of 103 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101 ... LastLast