Hey all. I just sold my Golf R and picked up a TT. There were a number of reasons for this but mainly cash-flow hah. The build thread for the R is here. I like to call my build threads "documentation" threads because I wind up posting all sorts of shenanigans related to my car hobbies and lifestyle, more than literal car build info.
I absolutely loved the Golf R and had a blast building and driving it but wanted something with which I could go a little more crazy. Bluewater Performance in Denver did the turbo build on the Golf, UM did the custom tune and I did all the rest! The TT will be very similar except that I plan to do a full motor build and make significantly more power with the TT as well as do some weight reduction and other "things" I didn't do with the Golf because it was so new and I felt like I shouldn't mod it beyond the point of no return. I have two major goals for the TT, 500 wheel horse on 91 and sub 3000lbs. It will be used for everything from canyon carving to test n tune drag racing to possibly some auto-x or road course.
About the TT.
Its a 2000 180 quattro 5 speed, black on black, 1 owner! I specifically sought out a quattro 5 speed due to the gearing. After 2 years with a black Golf R driving it 36,000 miles I swore I would never buy a black car again. So naturally I bought another black car within 3 days of selling the Golf. The TT came to me with lots of paint chips, a couple door dings, a "custom" stereo install with 2 10" subs and an amp that controls it all via a cheap aftermarket head unit, a CEL due to the secondary O2 sensor and a faulty low speed fan relay. The suspension is stock and clunky front and back. I was told by the previous owner it has a Revo chip, intake and Borla catback with duals. Its hard to know if it really is chipped because it feels sooooo slow compared to the Golf and it spools at about 500rpms haha. I need to get a boost gauge. Ill probably leave the engine alone while I mess with other things first. The intake is some weird carbon fiber looking green woven canister with two flexible tubes coming out of it and disappearing into the fender. No idea what it is, it has no markings. The exhaust is a Borla catback, the downpipe appears stock.
As for mods, here is a general list that is only a start and will definitely evolve over time.
- Adjustable rear control arms <font color=red>Ordered</font>
- Coilovers <font color=red>FK Silverlines (for now)</font>
- Camber plates <font color=red>Later</font>
- Whiteline caster adjusting bushings.
- Brembo calipers
- Stainless lines all around
- Two piece rotors
- Stud conversion <font color=red>Ordered</font>
- Diesel Geek Sigma 6 shifter
- Boost gauge
- Front seats, Recaros? Rear seat delete
- Weight reduction <font color=red>Underway</font>
- Remove the aftermarket stereo equipment <font color=red>Done</font>
- Full debadge <font color=red>Rear done</font>
- Fix dents/dings/paint chips
- Blacked out headlights
- Badgeless honeycomb grill <font color=red>Done</font>
- V6 wing? Wingless?
- V6 front bumper lip?
- BBS RGR 18x8.5et35 with custom powdercoat <font color=red>Done</font>
- Falken Azenis 415 225-40-18 <font color=red>Done</font>
- Curretly Revo chip, Borla catback with duals and some intake.
- Possibly re-chip depending on what the boost gauge shows.
- Wideband ECU conversion
- 2.0 stroker
- Custom turbo setup
- Intercooler? Thinking about air to water.
- Exhaust? Most likely full custom.
- Panzer plate <font color=red>Ordered</font>
- Battery relocation
Day 1 picked the car up, washed it and headed straight to Bluewater…and nobody was there. waaaah waaaah. Don't mind the Wisco plate it'll be registered in Colorado. I just need to find somewhere to register it that doesn't do emissions testing.
It was super dirty as it had been sleeping in a parking garage for the last couple months.
Bye bye Golf R, you will be missed.
91 octane...yes 91 octane, no meth, 5000 feet above sea level, GT2871R. Thanks go to Gabe and Hollywood at Bluewater Performance and Jeff at United Motorsport.