VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Recommendation of tools.

5K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  avw4me 
#1 ·
Feel free to delete or guide me to the right thread. I've looked at my 4 door plenty of times, with a stump look on my face as to how the hell am I gonna take this and that part off. So I'm mainly asking for suggestions as to what appropriate tools besides metric wrenches would you need to work on an MK1. I'm looking at the bolts for my front bumper and can't even manage a wrench on it. I've got basic tools but I can never sit and work on my car pleasantly because there's always something I'm missing, and then there's a waste of a day. We have a local Sears, but the last time I picked up a 19mm wrench for 12 bucks and it didn't get exactly used for what I thought I just rendered myself useless until I found out what it is I actually could positively use. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

#3 ·
useful uncommon tools to have on hand for mk1 fun time:

long screwdrivers that you can also use for leverage
a good bench top vise
adjustable vice grips
12v test light
12 point "star" bit
wobble extension
torque wrench
breaker bar
needle nose pliers

#5 ·
All that was mentioned above and I also found it helpful to get a set of metric Allen head sockets. But I have always just bought stuff as I needed. As long as you have a good base of tools you should be good. Also if you have the budget a good welder has come in handy

#6 ·
hammer, torch, duct tape wd40. but seriously its always good to have
a full set of sockets
wrenches
a couple different length extensions
different size ratchets
different sized screwdrivers
allen wrenches
pliers
you really don't need much other than the basics though just different assortments of them

i don't see how everyone has such a hard time taking the bumper off, i have an oil cooler in the way on one side and the battery tray on the other and i had no trouble taking it off/putting it back on :confused:.

#8 · (Edited)
I'll give you the same list I gave a local friend when he got his mk1. This is my short list. Be ready to spend close to a grand on tools. First purchase should be a Chilton AND Haynes for your car. And read both cover to cover BEFORE working on your car or have a friend that knows what he is doing help get you started.

3/8" ratchet with 3" extension, 6" extension, wobble joint, 7,10,12,13,14,15,16,17 and 19 mm sockets.
1/2" ratchet with 3" extension, 6" extension, wobble joint, 17,19,21,23 and 30 mm sockets.
3/8" and 1/2" torque wrenches
1/2" bracket bar
Liemans pliers
Floor Jack and Jack stands. Dont cheap out on this one. Your life depends on it.
Flat screw drivers. Long short wide and narrow.
Phillips screw drivers. Long and short. P2 and p3.
Air compressor. 10 gallon minimum.
Impact wrench with impact sockets and impact extensions listed above. I would get a 1/2" impact. Do not use regular sockets or extensions with the impact. They tend to explode.
Pickle fork.
Automotive pry bar set
Set of wrenches in the sizes listed above. Ratcheting would be great but not a necessity.
Set of tubing wrenches 6-19mm

I'll add more as I think of them. There is more but I'll have to go look at my tool bin to get sizes. I would get craftsman because if you break it they will replace it no charge. Even if you use a cheater bar on a ratchet and destroy it. And some of the sockets you will want deep well sockets as well.

#13 ·
Consider having two of everything you use the most of...

There's nothing worse than being in the zone, and breaking a socket, or a ratchet, and having to stop everything you're doing to go exchange it at Sears, or wherever your "lifetime warranty" tools come from. On that note, lifetime warranty tools are a must when working on old, rusty cars.

As noted above, Mechanix gloves are great too, especially the ones with the rubber knuckle guards. Well worth the money :thumbup:

#17 ·
Thought I'd add a few, or repeat some if there were some that I missed.

8 mm socket for interior stuff.
stuubby screw driver (phillips and flat)
Breaker bar. 6' tubes on ratchets tend to brake the ratchets..
6 point socket set. An impact set is 6 point - makes removing of the really rusted bolts easier without slipping off.
Bentley Manual (I know Mk1scott mentioned it already, but it is the bible for these cars).
Wheel chocks
Monkey wrench

Some nice to have tools but can live without include:

oil filter wrench. To remove that stuck oil filter put on by the PO
Strap wrench
Crow foot set

#21 ·
I'm surprised no one mentioned an 18mm socket, also I believe that the front axle nuts are 32mm. If you buy a set of regular metric sockets, check which is the largest size, I have seen some sets with 18mm and some with 19mm. IIRC the bumper mount bolts are 18mm.

#22 ·
front axles are 30mm
maybe 32 on some later models

18mm is useful but should come in the whole shebang if youre buying sockets
you wont use an 18mm wrench in most of the places that there are 18mm bolts or nuts

anyone working on the inner tie rods will find a 25mm crow foot extremely useful

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.