Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: (MK4) ECS Stage 1 Clutch Kit - reviews / installation help? thanks in advance!

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 VW BMP GLI, 2003 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T
      02-05-2014 10:08 PM #1
      Hey all,

Car: 2003 jetta 1.8t AWP, 5 speed 02j, 148k miles
      Mods: chip, TB exhaust, TIP, engine/trans/dog bone stage 1 mounts, intake, audi TT short shifter, 42dd shifter bushings

Issue: I believe my dual mass flywheel is beginning to fail, have done a ton of searching, and all my symptoms point me in the direction of a dieing DMF.

My situation:
      Recently bought, and replaced a new (used) trans due to my differential main bearing failing. At that point, clutch felt great, no flywheel issues, so did not replace clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, etc. I had someone help me with this installation, as I do not have the space, ability to do it myself.

Everything drove great for about 3 months, just replaced timing belt/wp/tensioners this past saturday (as I have decided to keep this as my DD and TB had 75k on it with a slightly leaking WP) then starting 2 days ago I am hearing what I believe is flywheel noise / vibration when engine is cold (goes away when car is up to temp?). I want to repair this before it fails and destroys the bell housing of the new trans I just bought...

So my quesiton is, what should I do? A very reputable VW shop in my area quoted me $600 for labor, and $600 for parts which is a kit including clutch, pressure plate, and dual mass flywheel for $600. Their labor and parts are waranteed for a year. They said they would install the ECS tuning kit if I bought it, however would obviously not gurantee parts, and if something didnt install right, I would have to pay twice for labor, etc. With all the reading about having to shave the bell housing in some instances, I would be a little scared to ask the shop to install.

My question is, what advice would you give me? I am not looking to make this a race car or anything, just want a fun to drive, quick reliable daily driver. Go with ecs kit? 14 or 20.5 lb flywheel? (really dont want the chatter, as I doubt the slight difference in weight will give much increase/gains).

Lastly, after taking out my transmission once before, I feel like I could do it, but have ZERO experience aligning / installing clutch and related parts. And due to the fact, its in the dead of winter, would have to wait to spring to do the job, and cannot wait! If any of you guys/girls have performed this job, particuarlly with the ECS stage 1 kit, and have appropriate access to tools, equipment, garage, heat, etc , please let me know if you would be willing to help out, of course i'd be willing to drive to your place of work, and be ready to discuss compensation. Thanks alot, really appreciate it !

Vehicles
      Bagged MK6 GLI, Ex-BT B5A4 Owner
      02-06-2014 02:39 PM #2
      I had the Stage 1 RA4 kit on my A4 (also a 1.8t) before I went BT, and I loved it. Held strong, felt smooth, and the clutch pedal feel was very similar to stock so it was easy to drive. Mine was a direct fit with no modification necessary. I had the lighter of the two flywheels and didn't notice any chatter. I'd recommend it
      Follow me on Instagram: @coreyfonseca
      I offer automotive detailing services in RI. PM me for details.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      GTI
      02-13-2014 12:02 AM #3
      I installed the ECS stage 1 clutch on my mk4 in a parking lot, but it wasn't the dead of winter. As for the install everything went smoothly except thinking back I did have to shave the housing a bit with a file it wasn't hard at all. Had my own alignment tool made using the old clutch for reference but you can easily buy one. As for how it drives, it gives just the right amount of feel, I love it. Perfect mix of daily driving and "spirited" driving. So check with the garage about filing down the housing and if they are willing to do it.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 VW BMP GLI, 2003 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T
      03-02-2014 04:46 PM #4
      Thanks c0r3y.af for the recommendation, I went with the 14lb flywheel.

Thanks Evaughn for the install advice. I bought the ECS kit so will be doing the install myself. As I feel like once warning the garage about needed to shave the bell housing slightly for fitment, they will not be willing, or will do it, then possilby charge me twice for labor. I am excited about getting it installed!

5. 07-20-2014 02:38 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Evaughn View Post
      I installed the ECS stage 1 clutch on my mk4 in a parking lot, but it wasn't the dead of winter. As for the install everything went smoothly except thinking back I did have to shave the housing a bit with a file it wasn't hard at all. Had my own alignment tool made using the old clutch for reference but you can easily buy one. As for how it drives, it gives just the right amount of feel, I love it. Perfect mix of daily driving and "spirited" driving. So check with the garage about filing down the housing and if they are willing to do it.

Hey mate i installed the stage 1 kit from ecs too, had to grind two points in the bellhousing but ive just installed the gearbox back on the engine but the engine will not rotate? :/ clearance tool did not catch anywhere else so im stumbed on what it could be!