VWVortex.com - Installing Audi TTRS front brakes on a Golf R.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Installing Audi TTRS front brakes on a Golf R.

Vehicles
      Audi D2 S8...
      10-26-2016 04:28 PM #201
      Quote Originally Posted by EZ View Post
      Interesting about Neuspeed. For track use I'm sold on the Girodisc's I have, but for street use it would be good to have an option other than the OEM crap.
      Sorry I mistakenly said Neuspeed, when it should have been Tyrolsport instead

Their new option may not be as good as the Girodisc, but I would expect it to be better that the OEM rotors. Tyrolsport do track a lot so hopefully that is top of their priority.
      Current: Golf-R Rising Blue 4-door loaded, Mazda MX-5, several mods #333
      Former: Audi D2 S8 Ming Blue
      Former: VW mkV GTi United Gray, B6 A4 Avant 1.8TQ Atlas Gray
      B5 A4 1.8TQM Santorin Blue J31-K04 Beauty
      B5.5 Passat TDi, Euro model...

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf R Nav & Sun
      10-26-2016 04:59 PM #202
      Quote Originally Posted by PDXA4 View Post
      Sorry I had a brain-fart earlier. It was Tyrolsport not Neuspeed.
      They had something on their Instagram feed, but would be easier to get info by just emailing them.
      I found a link to Tyrol's it's interesting, I wonder who their source is and definitely mentioned that they are working to possibly source some for the TT-RS and would keep everyone posted

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      Past: '99 Passat, 337. Present: '12 4-DR R, '14 Honda Accord Hybrid
      10-27-2016 09:09 AM #203

Their new option may not be as good as the Girodisc, but I would expect it to be better that the OEM rotors. Tyrolsport do track a lot so hopefully that is top of their priority.
      Ah - then I look forward to the reviews when they come out. BTW, just spent the weekend in your city for the F1 race and had a great time. Good food, good music, good people - fun city you have there!
      2012 CW 4-door Golf R: APR Stage II+ | CTS CAI | HEL Oil Cooler | 034 Mounts | SB Stage III End | Haldex Comp Cont | VWR Streetsport Plus, Linear Springs, Camber Plates | H&R RSB | Audi TT RS Calipers/Girodisc Two-Piece Rotors, Raybestos ST-43 Pads | NT01 235/40-18
      Fast Laps: Homestead Miami Speedway - 1:41.48 | Sebring International Raceway - 2:38.32 | Palm Beach International Raceway - 1:35.45

Vehicles
      2013 CW Golf R
      10-27-2016 09:09 AM #204

Neuspeed needs to come up with an option. Their new six piston BBK relies on the stock TTRS rotors, which is the achilles heel of the setup. If you want a setup that uses the TTRS brakes, but different rotors check out the Vagbremtechnic solutions. I have run their kit on the 340mm one-piece and also the 362mm two-piece. Both have been tracked and performed well. I can say the two-piece is better for tracking.
      2013 Golf R 4Dr Loaded CW
      Build Thread

dubsquared

Vehicles
      Audi D2 S8...
      10-27-2016 09:13 AM #205
      Quote Originally Posted by EZ View Post
      Ah - then I look forward to the reviews when they come out. BTW, just spent the weekend in your city for the F1 race and had a great time. Good food, good music, good people - fun city you have there!
      Nice, glad you had a good time. The weather was unusually nice. We normally have it a lot hotter.

I was also at the race, big improvement from the previous year.

Vehicles
      Audi D2 S8...
      10-27-2016 09:20 AM #206
      Quote Originally Posted by dOwnsizer View Post
      Neuspeed needs to come up with an option. Their new six piston BBK relies on the stock TTRS rotors, which is the achilles heel of the setup. If you want a setup that uses the TTRS brakes, but different rotors check out the Vagbremtechnic solutions. I have run their kit on the 340mm one-piece and also the 362mm two-piece. Both have been tracked and performed well. I can say the two-piece is better for tracking.
      Yup agree on Neuspeed. BTW I still haven't figured out which vendor they source the calipers from ?

I'll have to take a look at vagbremtechnic.

Vehicles
      2013 CW Golf R
      10-27-2016 09:33 AM #207
      Yup agree on Neuspeed. BTW I still haven't figured out which vendor they source the calipers from ?

I'll have to take a look at vagbremtechnic.
      Not to shamelessly plug it, but if you check out my build thread I have some personal input on the Vagbremtechnic solution.
      2013 Golf R 4Dr Loaded CW
      Build Thread

dubsquared

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Rising Blue R
      10-27-2016 11:39 AM #208
      Quote Originally Posted by dOwnsizer View Post
      Not to shamelessly plug it, but if you check out my build thread I have some personal input on the Vagbremtechnic solution.
      your build thread is the reason i probably will do the vagbremtechnic solution =]

9. 10-27-2016 04:59 PM #209
      To keep everyone up to date who has mentioned it or asked us directly:

unfortunately due to SEMA, there will be a bit of a delay for an answer for TT-RS replacement rotors. As soon as we can iron out all the details we'll let everyone know.

As a side note:
      We have achieved some really great braking performance from a B8 S4 kit. For anyone looking for great brake performance at a lower price, and better availability for replacement rotors this too is a good option. I posted up a photo in our facebook post and I currently run this on my own car... you can check it out here - Direct Link to Post

-nick

Vehicles
      2013 Golf R, 2013 Audi TT RS
      11-14-2016 12:33 PM #210
      Sorry I had a brain-fart earlier. It was Tyrolsport not Neuspeed.
      They had something on their Instagram feed, but would be easier to get info by just emailing them.
      GiroDisc is now making Rotors for the TTRS. Not in their catalog yet but speedfreaks have them for 1k a pair and you can replace just the iron as well.
      And they come as right and left for proper cooling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2013 Golf R Rising Blue C2 Stage 2+, SPM Race DP, CTS CAI. IE HPFP. 2013 Panther Black Crystal Audi TT RS Titanium and Tech Package currently stock

Vehicles
      Past: '99 Passat, 337. Present: '12 4-DR R, '14 Honda Accord Hybrid
      11-15-2016 10:57 AM #211
      Quote Originally Posted by mdsune View Post
      GiroDisc is now making Rotors for the TTRS. Not in their catalog yet but speedfreaks have them for 1k a pair and you can replace just the iron as well.
      And they come as right and left for proper cooling.
      I have this setup on my R and it is fantastic on the track. Paired with the Raybestos ST-43's that GiroDisc recommended, the brakes work better the more heat you get in them. On my stock setup with EBC Yellow pads I'd have to get on the brakes at about the 275-foot mark at the end of straights. With this setup and Hawk DTC-60 or HT-10 pads, I was able to push that to 250 but got some pad deposits. With the Raybestos pads, I'm down to about 225 and the harder you brake, the better they feel.
      2012 CW 4-door Golf R: APR Stage II+ | CTS CAI | HEL Oil Cooler | 034 Mounts | SB Stage III End | Haldex Comp Cont | VWR Streetsport Plus, Linear Springs, Camber Plates | H&R RSB | Audi TT RS Calipers/Girodisc Two-Piece Rotors, Raybestos ST-43 Pads | NT01 235/40-18
      Fast Laps: Homestead Miami Speedway - 1:41.48 | Sebring International Raceway - 2:38.32 | Palm Beach International Raceway - 1:35.45

Vehicles
      67 Bug, 92 Miata, 12 Golf R, 15 eGolf
      11-20-2016 01:00 PM #212
      Looks like they are in their catalog now....

http://www.girodisc.com/Girodisc-Fro...RS_p_6676.html

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R 4Dr RB 2004 R32 TR
      11-21-2016 07:14 AM #213
      Quote Originally Posted by iThread View Post
      Looks like they are in their catalog now....

http://www.girodisc.com/Girodisc-Fro...RS_p_6676.html

14. 11-29-2016 01:36 PM #214
      UPDATE FOR EVERYONE CONTACTING US.

Unfortunately we will not have a replacement rotor for the TT-RS brakes available at this time.
      If we do we will update everyone via our social media page.

As always feel free to contact us for any braking recommendations whether its O.E, OEM Plus or third party upgrade.

Thanks for your interest.

-nick

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      15 Golf R
      03-14-2017 01:46 PM #215
      Hello

Anybody running the ttrs setup over the BBS CH-R's (8.5x19 et48 ) ,found some pitures on the golf v gti ,the guy says it cleares them by 2mm

As the brakes fit plug and play on the G5/ G6 as G7 , the hub size and clearence should be the same on all 3 models ?

Cheers
      MY15 Golf R + some bits

Vehicles
      03-18-2017 10:33 PM #216
      Now that I live somewhere that snows, I've relegated the Volkswagen Motorsport wheels to winter duty with winter tires. I switched over today to my new summer setup with Neuspeed RSe10 18x8 et45 wheels and they clear the brakes just fine without spacers. I'd say there's a good 5mm between the spokes and the caliper. It's a good setup.

Vehicles
      03-19-2017 10:33 PM #217
      Cleaned it up and got some pics....

And for posterity, winter mode...

Vehicles
      Audi D2 S8...
      03-20-2017 08:30 PM #218
      Quote Originally Posted by iThread View Post
      Cleaned it up and got some pics....

And for posterity, winter mode...

Looks good on the Neuspeed's.

And that weather, a little bit different to San Jose

Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT RS [prev: 2008 R32 #3603/5000]
      03-21-2017 06:53 PM #219
      For those of you looking for a quality rotor that doesn't suck (the stock TTRS front rotor is a pile of garbage - calipers are fine but the discs suck) - check out Girodisc. 2-pc, lighter than stock, slotted instead of drilled.

Since this is a good thread full of people running TTRS brakes on the front, I'm curious - have any of you done a rotor change yet? If so, how did you remove the caliper? Did you pull the radially-mounted bolts (the 10mm allen-head style ones going through the calipers), or did you unbolt the entire bracket from the back of the hub?

Audi does not list a part number anywhere for the allen-head bolts, nor do they give torque specs for them.

One TTRS owner tried to DIY his brakes and ended up trashing one or both bolts on one side and then had an absolute bear of a time finding replacements. An Audi shop foreman told him that you're not supposed to remove those bolts and that the "right" procedure is to unbolt the entire bracket from the back of the hub... which has bolts torqued to ~148 ft/lbs (200 Newton-meters) that are supposedly single-use as well.

This TTRS owner ended up having to source Porsche bolts to replace the radial ones he trashed; his new bolts are now giant torx (what Porsche uses) instead of allen / female-hex head (Audi OE)... Porsche part # for reference was 999-073-402-01.

The caliper bracket bolts are apparently used on a bunch of cars and are N-908-768-02.

It seems like absolute madness to me to unbolt the brackets just to get to the discs, but why else would Audi not list a P/N or torque specs for the allen bolts??
      Last edited by ZPrime; 03-21-2017 at 07:10 PM.
      ["OG" Mk5 R32 Club Member 5/3/2008-5/4/2015] Traded [PARTOUT HERE] --> [2012 Sepang Blue TT RS - Rarely Updated Mod Blog]
      I'm a tech nerd and radar/lidar countermeasure enthusiast. I like track days, autocross, and US Highway 129. I love aural pleasure.
      WitW 2016 || I UM || PerformanceLEDs FTW

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R rising blue.
      03-21-2017 07:24 PM #220
      You unbolt the caliper from the hub but first you remove the two guides that hold the pads in place. If you remove those bolts you are splitting the caliper In half Wich is not the way to go.
      The owner that destroy the by clearly didn't know how to do a brake job and should of took is car to a garage.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R rising blue.
      03-21-2017 07:25 PM #221
      Said guide pins.

Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT RS [prev: 2008 R32 #3603/5000]
      03-21-2017 07:48 PM #222
      He didn't remove the axial bolts that go through the caliper (that would be splitting the caliper). He was trying to pull the caliper off so he could swap the rotor. The bolts he trashed were the ones that attach the caliper to the silver / gray bracket in your picture above.

You have to take the caliper away from the rotor in order to get the rotor off the hub. Your choices are to unbolt the entire bracket from the back (axial-direction bolts, with the heads facing away from you toward the motor), or to remove the caliper from the bracket (radial bolts, with the heads facing the wheel well radius).
      ["OG" Mk5 R32 Club Member 5/3/2008-5/4/2015] Traded [PARTOUT HERE] --> [2012 Sepang Blue TT RS - Rarely Updated Mod Blog]
      I'm a tech nerd and radar/lidar countermeasure enthusiast. I like track days, autocross, and US Highway 129. I love aural pleasure.
      WitW 2016 || I UM || PerformanceLEDs FTW

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R rising blue.
      03-21-2017 07:55 PM #223
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
      He didn't remove the axial bolts that go through the caliper (that would be splitting the caliper). He was trying to pull the caliper off so he could swap the rotor. The bolts he trashed were the ones that attach the caliper to the silver / gray bracket in your picture above.

You have to take the caliper away from the rotor in order to get the rotor off the hub. Your choices are to unbolt the entire bracket from the back (axial-direction bolts, with the heads facing away from you toward the motor), or to remove the caliper from the bracket (radial bolts, with the heads facing the wheel well radius).
      Okay gotcha. Well I would remove the one holding the bracket to the hub. Even tho they are one time use (like every caliper bolts from VW)

Vehicles
      03-24-2017 10:17 AM #224
      Looks good on the Neuspeed's.

And that weather, a little bit different to San Jose
      Just a bit. But, the car is a hoot in the snow. And, with the winer tires I was able to scrabble around town where others feared to tread.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789