Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: I want a Doge. Find United a Shiba inu

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      02-17-2014 05:44 PM #1
      I have been looking at puppies for months trying to find the right breed and what I want in a dog, I have come from growing up with cats and always wanting a dog but never allowed to have one as a child. After searching through breeds and styles of dog I came to realize that I want a Shiba Inu. I have the space and time to put in to training and growing a great dog from a stubborn little puppy. I want to find a standard Red Shiba, like the picture below. I am located in south Fl and trying not to spend 2k on one. really would love to adopt a puppy rather than going to a breeder but that seems impossible with a shiba inu. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I want this in my life.
      Demokratically Elekted Harbinger of Beetus & Confektionariy Devices of The Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      I contribute nothing of value to this thread.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eberger View Post
      Methamphetamine and masturbation go together like chocolate and peanut butter... I guess.

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      02-18-2014 03:27 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by UnitedGTI. View Post
      After searching through breeds and styles of dog I came to realize that I want a Shiba Inu.
      Just curious, but why a Shiba?

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      02-18-2014 05:11 PM #3
      I love the look of shibas, and their temperament. love that they don't enjoy being dirty traditionally. are very loyal and good as a guard dog. how playful they can be and that they can get along with cats as long as they are raised with them.
      Demokratically Elekted Harbinger of Beetus & Confektionariy Devices of The Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Methamphetamine and masturbation go together like chocolate and peanut butter... I guess.

Vehicles
      MK4 Jetta - '07 Audi A3 (SOLD)
      02-19-2014 07:18 PM #4
      As a shiba owner, I will say they are a breed you should think long and hard about owning. Sure they're fluffy and cute and everyone loves the doge memes, but no joke, they are not a breed for the faint of heart. Owning a shiba is not like owning a typical dog - it's more like owning a dog-cat.

Everything you read about shibas is absolutely true to the umpteenth degree. They are fiercly indepdendent and will test that indepdendance with you every day. They are drama queens and won't hesitate to let out a "shiba scream" for little to no reason at all other than you won't let them into a certain room or you looked at them funny. Many are typically anti-social and don't warm quickly to guests. They are very aloof - mine will sit at the far end of the sofa away from me just because she knows how badly I'd love her to come lay next to me. They're stubborn as all hell and will do things only so long as there's something in it for them.

One thing people tend to not take very seriously is the warnings all over shiba-websites that these dogs are NOT off-leash dogs. Ever. The first chance of freedom they can steal, they will be GONE. And they run FAST. I can't tell you how many times I've chased my shiba around the neighborhood after someone didnt close the door all the way/quick enough. No amount of calling makes them come to you. They will run fast and far. Always. Don't doubt that. (There's always someone who likes to chime in here and say they had/knew of one that was great off-least. Great. You have a special shiba. That is not the norm!)

But they are fiercly loyal and heart-meltingly cute, especially as puppies. They are sharp as a tack and can pick up commands with very little repitition. (Mine can sit, lay down, stay, shake, wave, and high-five... we're currently working on "bang, you're dead") They are the cleanest dogs you'll ever encounter and most HATE getting wet and/or dirty. They pretty much potty train themselves after you show them a couple times where they need to do their business.

So scarf. Much distinguished. Very cold. Wow. Warm now. Get it off.

Plotting her attempt to get free

Any other questions, let me know
      Follow me on Instagram: cyncetastic

Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      02-19-2014 11:34 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by scandalous_cynce View Post
      One thing people tend to not take very seriously is the warnings all over shiba-websites that these dogs are NOT off-leash dogs. Ever.
      Not true. I grew up around Shibas as my parents bred and showed them. All the ones we had (we ended up with 3 over the years) were all great off leash. I don't ever remember any of them taking off. I do remember one our mutts taking off once and the Shiba stayed put. But my parents got them as very young pups (our last one was one from a litter that their other Shiba had) and really worked with them very hard. The last one we had was an incredible dog. Very friendly, loving, and great off leash. Obedience work is very key for sure. And being very, very consistent.

They are great dogs, but as said, not for the faint of heart. Even if you *think* you can handle one, I'd still think very hard about it. My parents would give warning after warning to those that would take their pups, and several times they had the new owners having serious issues with their dogs. One fun fact...they can climb. If you have them in a fenced in area, it needs to be a good sized fence. Otherwise they will climb out.

I would see if you can get some face time with one before you get one for yourself. Owning one can either be really great, or a nightmare. I miss ours quite often, but I don't think I'd ever own one again.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 186k+, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI, 130k, 3" 42DD turbo back, Unitronic Stage 2
      His - '01 Jetta TDI, 135k. Now has 3 pedals, as it should!

Vehicles
      02-20-2014 12:05 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Rockerchick View Post
      Not true. I grew up around Shibas as my parents bred and showed them. All the ones we had (we ended up with 3 over the years) were all great off leash. I don't ever remember any of them taking off. I do remember one our mutts taking off once and the Shiba stayed put. But my parents got them as very young pups (our last one was one from a litter that their other Shiba had) and really worked with them very hard. The last one we had was an incredible dog. Very friendly, loving, and great off leash. Obedience work is very key for sure. And being very, very consistent.
      If you read that whole paragraph, you'll see that the last sentence in parenthesis says, "(There's always someone who likes to chime in here and say they had/knew of one that was great off-least. Great. You have a special shiba. That is not the norm!)"

They are climbers. I tried to keep mine in a certain area of the house while I was gone by putting up a baby gate. Yeah, that was nothing to jump over. So I stacked TWO baby gates on top of each other. Would still come home to her outside the area I was trying to keep her in.

And oh lord the chewing. They are chewers. Especially wood. Some of my baseboards have seen the demise - all of my bushes in the backyard have met their demise - and now my patio furniture is starting to show signs of chewing. Oy.

7. 02-26-2014 05:26 PM #7
      Guard dog? You realize they're like 14" tall? (Don't fret, I thought they were like Husky size, too.) And a dog that doesn't like getting wet honestly doesn't sound like a very fun dog.

Wait a bit for the Doge thing to get passe -- shelters will have lots of these little guys, I'm afraid.

Vehicles
      '05 Mini Cooper S, '03 Infiniti FX45
      03-03-2014 02:10 PM #8
      I couldn't agree with Scandalous_cynce more!
      I have one and friends of mine have them. They all basically behave the same and ALL of them will run away if given half a chance.
      Mater of fact, Roxie is looking out the front window right now planning her next 'outing'.

I'll add one thing. They are fiercely loyal....but not to you just because you brought her home. No, they'll choose who they're loyal to on their own.
      Mine is a great example. We brought Roxie home as a pet for my daughter. My daughter loves this dog, but the dog attached herself to my wife. Now they are inseparable.

Roxie is a great car dog. She can't wait for her next drive and will definitely let you know that she has to go with you. Shiba screams are for real. Holy crap.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      01 golf gls 1.8T
      03-03-2014 03:27 PM #9
      I love the look of shibas, and their temperament. love that they don't enjoy being dirty traditionally. are very loyal and good as a guard dog. how playful they can be and that they can get along with cats as long as they are raised with them.
      i was originally looking at shiba/shiba mix because of their neat look & cleanliness, but after reading up on them, meeting a couple and speaking to shiba owners, i decided they were a bit too small, aloof and independent minded, and they shed quite a bit. my understanding is they can be rewarding dogs to own, but require much more training than average.

it's very difficult to find either a mix or pure rescue that is young. be prepared to shell out $1200-$2K from a breeder

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      03-10-2014 11:09 AM #10
      Decided I'd rather rescue then pay 1k+ for a shiba.

found this 6 month old rescue locally and pick her up Friday! No idea what she really is but should be no more than 30lbs fully grown, currently 15ish.
      kinda see some Shepherd and maybe Finnish Spitz in her but no idea. Very playful and can jump really high.

OT, any ideas what she is?

Last edited by UnitedGTI.; 03-10-2014 at 11:17 AM.

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      03-11-2014 08:41 AM #11
      Decided I'd rather rescue then pay 1k+ for a shiba.

found this 6 month old rescue locally and pick her up Friday! No idea what she really is but should be no more than 30lbs fully grown, currently 15ish.
      kinda see some Shepherd and maybe Finnish Spitz in her but no idea. Very playful and can jump really high.

OT, any ideas what she is?
      That's awesome! Rescues are the best! No idea what she is (shepherd lab terrier mix?), but she's a great looking pup!

Vehicles
      03-12-2014 12:57 PM #12
      She's a beautiful pup! Congrats on your new addition!