VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

high beam trouble

2K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  Flabbytax 
#1 ·
i have a 2012 GLI, i installed some HID's highs and lows, well my passenger side high beam went out so i just ordered a replacement bulb. well, the replacement bulb did not work so i figured it was a bad ballast maybe or something so i went and ordered a whole new HID kit, just for the hell of it i threw my stock bulb in and took out the HID kit for now. well the stock bulb does not work either, so i tested the bulb by just installing it on the driver side and it worked just fine. every single light works (drl's, city lights, low beams, blinkers ect) except my passenger side high beam. any ideas???????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

This post has been deleted
#5 ·
Delusions of grandeur? For agreeing with the majority that HID drop ins are a bad idea? Or for stating my opinion on a forum...

Sent from Samsung's latest 1-up on Apple.

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
Delusions of grandeur: because you think your actually helpful (which I sincerely doubt) with someone asking for help by "attempting" to be clever or*amusing?*;either of which most assuredly you are not, unless of course you're 18 years old and want to impress your peers. The op was not asking for your consul on whether you agreed with drop in HIDs or not, he was asking for advice from any "helpful" members on what to do next to fix the situation so his headlight again functions.
"delusions of grandeur" have *nothing* to do with "thinking* one is helpful; similar to how your use of excessive punctuation doesn't have anything to do with effective accentuation in the English language.

BTW.. I will agree IMO that drop ins are a bad idea, but thats besides the point here. Your objection to drop in HIDS is your right, but the d- bag remark is completely unjustified, simply because you need to unleash your anger to others who you feel have been blinded by. You dont know the op from larry, and cannot assess what hes all about just because hes perhaps made a bad choice. He might be a decent guy, with an incorrect understanding of the perils of HIDs installed incorrectly. Hes certainly no more a d-bag any more than you're also a d-bag for calling someone that undeservedly. You really shouldn't stereotype.
I never called him a douchebag, I meerly stated that what he decided to do to his lights has been done by douchebags. And I am definitely not angry about his choices, life's too short to be worried about someone else's poor decisions. I'm sure he is a decent guy, again, never made a personal attack on him. Stereotypes exist for a reason. Are they absolute? No. But I can say I've never met a guy with white sunglasses, tribal tattoos, and a t-shirt tucked into his jeans that I didn't think was a tool.

Why dont you try being helpful. If you feel so strongly about HIDs not being dropped into halogen housings, establish some credibility or rapport with the op first by assisting in getting his light functional at least, then, he might be inclined to listen to your point of view on why HIDS as a drop in are a bad idea in the first place?. If hes willing to listen to you, perhaps after you being so helpful, he might consider going back to halogens or upgrading to HIDs with projectors. Being all " sassy" does nothing to dis-suade anyone to make a better choice.
Sassy? Are you a 7 year old girl? I don't need to establish any credibility with him, or you, or anyone on the Tex. And thanks for the lesson on establishing a rapport.

I dont imagine the op has not learned that HIDs dropped in can be a bad idea,not just for oncoming traffic, but obviously for the car itself also. You dont need yo beat someone when they are down in order to feel good about yourself, unless insecurity really has a grip on your self esteem. Barring the previous statement, I inherently believe that underneath the "cyber-tough -guy" exterior, most people prefer to help, and not harm with sadistic, anti-social remarks that does absolutely nothing to communicate effectively or productively for the vw vortex community.
Im not beating him down. I expressed my opinion on a forum (look up the definition while you're researching "delusions of grandeur") which is perfectly fine. My self esteem is great. The fact that you're able to detive so much about me from a few minimalistic posts here is incredible. I'm not sadistic, or anti-social either, just posted my opinion on drop in HIDs.

You, sir, are an idiot. Go change your tampon, put on your big girl panties and realize that this is the internet.

Sent from one of my many Samsung devices.

#8 ·
okay....... clearly no one actually has a real answer, and they are HID's but not those gay blue bright ones i got the 4300k which is the same exact brightness that comes STOCK on a GLI Autobahn, so i guess anyone with an autobahn is: 1- a dbag and 2- an ******* for blinding people. i asked for help, not for people to call me a dbag because......... i bought hid's? that doesnt even make sense, and if i found the answer on google dont you think i wouldnt have even bothered posting it on here? so if you dont have at least a somewhat intelligent answer for me then dont bother replying. so can we get back to headlights or what? and thankyou simonrjones for stating an honest opinion maturely.

#10 ·
The stock GLIs that come with HIDs use a projector, not reflector housing. That focuses the light, not disperse it all over the place. I never called you a douche, but I'd sure think that when I saw your car. I found the answer on Google in less than 2 clicks, try again.

Sent from one of my many Samsung devices.

#11 ·
okay fair enough, i get get that now. the whole halogen vs projector thing, but regardless my high beam is still out. i just want to fix it thats all, im not interested in arguing or defining words or whatever. what did you type to find it in two clicks? only thing i found that was a partial help was something about the CECM, but i found nothing on how to find out if that is bad...................

#13 ·
thats exactly what i thought, i had usp's hid kit in there. like i said tho i went back to stock just to see if it would work and the stock bulb wont even light up. but i took that same bulb put it in the other side and it worked. is there like a seperate fuse for each light in the head light assembly or something?

#20 · (Edited)
I've learned it's best to leave lights alone as OEM.

I had upgraded my 2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with brighter burning bulbs. I have had several issues with bad connections I had to correct. And, it only goes out when you really need it -- when making long trips and driving at night.

It gets old, quick.

#21 ·
Reset your battery.

I have aftermarkets but my low beam went out and nothing I did would fix it. Until I reset the battery. I'm not sure what caused it but I have been using different bulbs since it happened.

#22 ·
yeah its starting to get old already, but once i solve it once and for good i am done messing with the lights from here on out. and that was one other option i came across just a bit ago while looking online was to reset the battery. im going to try that tomorrow morning. i really hope that works honestly..

#24 ·
Yes. Every single other bulb worked and and I even used the same halogen bulb on driver and passenger side. Didn't work in the driver side low beam which had been out. Lit right up when I tried it in the passenger side.

I tried the battery reset because I read somewhere that the CECM will sometimes get tripped (or something of that nature) and cut power to that specific light. I'm not sure why or what causes it but resetting the battery supposedly resets the CECM which ended up working out for me.

#31 ·
I find that the highbeams on my 2014 SE aren't exactly up to my level of brightness Im gonna upgrade them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.