Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Engine Light and Fluctuating RPMs (Up, down, up, down while cruising)

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2005 VW Passat GLS 1.8T 4Motion
      02-24-2014 10:31 AM #1
      Hello All,

I'm new to the community and have been scanning for a fix to my problem. I believe I've seen others with a similar issue, but I don't know if they've been solved.

Here we go...one day, when it was close to -20 degrees F after work and I started my Passat (1.8 T), it wouldn't start. I turned it three times with no go...by the fourth time, it started and then had the engine light on. Without noticing right away, I drove home and parked it in the garage as normal. The next day I noticed the weird fluctuating in the RPMs. I live in town, so there is a lot of 30 to 40 MPH zones, which I tend to use the cruise control for. This is when the vehicle jerks back and forth as the RPMs go up and down.

Overall, the car seems to be running fine in Park (idles what I would call normal) and after I get to highway speeds, 50 - 60 MPH, there is no more jerking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a beginner and don't have too many tools, so dealership might be in my future.

Thanks All!

Vehicles
      2004 GLX V6 Passat (Daily) 2002 Jetta GLX VR6 1973 Triumph TR6(Project/FS/Dust collector)
      02-24-2014 11:36 PM #2
      Slipping transmission? The fluctuating rpms points me to that conclusion although I am not sure that would cause a CEL.. Is it only when you are in cruise control? Could be misfire too. Best bet is to get the code scanned and tell us what that comes up as and then we will be able to help more.
      2004 Passat 2.8L 30V V6 5 spd. M/T

@derekmaplesyrup

3. n00b
      Vehicles
      02-25-2014 08:24 AM #3
      Thanks dublax44 for the response.

It also occurs if I pedal around the same speed, not just in cruise control.

What I did was follow some others that have cleaned their MAFs to help with some of the power issues. So I went ahead and removed the airbox/MAF, cleaned it with the special MAF cleaner, and let it dry. After that, I replaced the MAF and airbox (also had the negative off the battery, so reattached that) and started the vehicle. The engine light went away and with a quick drive this morning, 15 minutes, things appear to be better.

I'll monitor it more this afternoon when I leave and let ya'll know.

4. n00b
      Vehicles
      02-26-2014 04:56 PM #4
      Just wanted to update and say that after the car gets warm, running temp, it has the fluctuating rpms again. Don't know what would be causing the motor to want to go up and down, but it does. The engine light hasn't come back on but still has the fluctuation.

Anyone else seen or heard of this? Should I be looking for a vacuum leak?

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      02-26-2014 05:16 PM #5
      Since the CEL is on, there are codes waiting to be read that point to whatever problems you might be having. Before you do anything else, get the car scanned for diagnostic trouble codes and report back. Many places do this for free.

6. n00b
      Vehicles
      02-26-2014 05:23 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
      Since the CEL is on
      Thanks for the reply scotts, I actually got the code to turn off after cleaning the MAF, so I don't know that there will be any code to read.