Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Ever bought a custom/bespoke suit?

1. 03-03-2014 10:47 PM #1
      I'm going on a business trip to Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur and Penang) at the end of April, and one thing I'd like to do when I'm there is buy a custom suit or two. I've gotten some names of tailors, but what to expect int he process? What type of things should I ask or expect? What do I need to think about beforehand? Any advice?

Vehicles
      SLUG
      03-06-2014 06:47 PM #2
      http://tsbmen.com/9213/a-comprehensi...poke-clothing/

http://travel.cnn.com/tips-from-top-tailors-022646

hopefully those help you out a little.

i had a HUGE suit heavily tailored to fit, but that's nowhere near having a suit built from scratch.

3. 04-08-2014 01:35 PM #3
      I had a buddy that had 2 or 3 bespoke suits made this summer. It had cool details I liked, but overall I couldnt justify the money he spent. I have had several very nice off the rack suits heavily altered and ended up paying no where near the cost he paid. For an example, I lucked up at Macys this week. I bought a slim fit Calvin Klein Suit that was 650 bucks they marked down to 120 dollars. 100 percent wool in a very nice navy blue, but Macys considers the suit winter stock hence the sale price. I found a very good tailor that will alter the whole suit locally for under 100 bucks. After alterations although not bespoke, my suit for 250 bucks will stand up quite well.

I had a few times at work a few upper management guys that have custom suits asked me who did my suits. They all were kinda miffed when I said my stuff is off the rack and not custom. Alteration is really the key.

4. 05-29-2014 11:05 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Roo View Post
      I had a buddy that had 2 or 3 bespoke suits made this summer. It had cool details I liked, but overall I couldnt justify the money he spent. I have had several very nice off the rack suits heavily altered and ended up paying no where near the cost he paid. For an example, I lucked up at Macys this week. I bought a slim fit Calvin Klein Suit that was 650 bucks they marked down to 120 dollars. 100 percent wool in a very nice navy blue, but Macys considers the suit winter stock hence the sale price. I found a very good tailor that will alter the whole suit locally for under 100 bucks. After alterations although not bespoke, my suit for 250 bucks will stand up quite well.

I had a few times at work a few upper management guys that have custom suits asked me who did my suits. They all were kinda miffed when I said my stuff is off the rack and not custom. Alteration is really the key.
      I'm right there with you on this, I get many of my suits from Nordstrum Rack and have them tailored by this old Italian guy (master tailor). Theres no way I can justify spending over 1K for custom suits at this time.

5. 09-25-2014 03:02 AM #5
      I started purchasing custom made suits couple years ago when I lost quite a lot of weight. I highly recommend the custom made route since it really fits perfectly and my go-to suit from napoli tailors.