VWVortex

Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Malaysia Airlines Plane 'Loses Contact'

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      03-08-2014 12:06 AM #1
      **EDIT**

Navy has confirmed plane crashed into sea, says Vietnam media

UPDATE [12:37]: Tuoi Tre, a leading daily in Vietnam, reports that the Vietnamese Navy has confirmed the plane crashed into the ocean. According to Navy Admiral Ngo Van Phat, Commander of the Region 5, military radar recorded that the plane crashed into the sea at a location 153 miles South of Phu Quoc island.

When contacted, Malaysia Airlines declined to confirm or deny the reports, saying that the Malaysian authorities are working together with the Vietnamese government on the matter.

Meanwhile, Al Jazeera reports that China has dispatched two maritime rescue ships to help locate the missing plane.
      http://my.news.yahoo.com/mas-aircraf...023820132.html

This is so messed up. I don't understand what is going on:

Malaysia Airlines says flight MH370 carrying 239 people bound for Beijing "has lost contact" with air traffic control.

The state-owned carrier said the Boeing 777-200 disappeared this morning at 2.40am local time.

It left Kuala Lumpur just after midnight and was due to arrive in Beijing at 6.30am local time.

Malaysia Airlines said the flight was carrying 227 passengers (including two children) and 12 crew members, from 13 different countries.

They include 153 Chinese nationals, 38 Malaysians, 12 Indonesians, seven Australians, four Americans, two New Zealanders, two Ukrainians, two Canadians, one Russian, one Austrian, one Italian, one Taiwanese and one Dutch citizen.

The carrier said it was working with the authorities who have activated their search and rescue teams to locate the aircraft.

It is also contacting the next-of-kin of the passengers and crew.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with all affected passengers and crew and their family members," Malaysia Airlines CEO Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said in a statement.

The airline said it would provide "regular updates" on the situation and has set up the phone line +603 7884 1234 for concerned members of the public.

China's state news agency reported that the plane lost communication over Vietnam with air traffic control in the Ho Chi Minh area and that radar contact also was lost.

Citing a local Vietnamese media report, the agency said a Vietnamese search and rescue official reported that signals have been detected from the plane from about 120 miles (220km) southwest of Vietnam's southernmost coastal province of Ca Mau.

It said there had not been any reports received yet about any aircraft that has crashed.

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said in a statement: "This news has made us all very worried.

"We hope every one of the passengers is safe. We are doing all we can to get more details."

Malaysia Airlines has 15 Boeing 777-200 jets in its fleet of about 100 planes.

If the plane is found to have crashed, the loss would mark the second fatal accident involving a Boeing 777 in less than a year, after an unblemished safety record since the jet entered service in 1995.

Last summer, an Asiana Airlines Boeing 777 crash landed in San Francisco, killing three passengers.

Boeing said it was aware of reports that the Malaysia Airlines plane has gone missing and was monitoring the situation, but had no further comment.
      http://news.sky.com/story/1222674/ma...-loses-contact

Reddit thread with updates:

http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/co...tact_malaysia/
      Last edited by TetsuoShima; 03-08-2014 at 12:09 AM.

2. 03-08-2014 04:38 AM #2
      This is going on in A & S forum.
      Speculation that it went down over land.
      Maybe move this info over there.
      Last edited by dubraycer36; 03-08-2014 at 04:45 AM.
      This post was monitored and approved by the NSA

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      03-08-2014 07:29 AM #3
      I know several pilots who have worked under contract for Asian airlines. It's amazing they don't have more crashes than they do. Poorly trained pilots. Poor process for maintenance. There's nothing like the FAA to step in and shut down an airline until they get their act together.

03-08-2014 08:33 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by TetsuoShima View Post
      **EDIT**

Navy has confirmed plane crashed into sea, says Vietnam media
      And then retracted:

"Vietnamese Admiral Ngo Van Phat later qualified his earlier remarks about a crash site having been identified and told Reuters he was referring to a presumed location beneath the plane's flight path, using information supplied by Malaysia"
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

5. Member Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B.'s Avatar
      Vehicles
      His + Hers = 815hp
      03-08-2014 08:34 AM #5
      Quote from a user on reddit. Well said,

I have a knot in the pit of my stomach after hearing it crashed.

Just imagine how any single one of those passengers in those final moments wished they could be in our shoes...reading about it, in the safety of our homes.

It's insane how quickly you can be thinking about the rest of your life, or even the rest of your plans for the day, and then without warning you're minutes away from death.

It just breaks my heart. We're so fragile, and I really hope that the family and friends of those involved can find peace.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      03-08-2014 08:52 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      I know several pilots who have worked under contract for Asian airlines. It's amazing they don't have more crashes than they do. Poorly trained pilots. Poor process for maintenance. There's nothing like the FAA to step in and shut down an airline until they get their act together.
      This is a pretty unfair statement. Malaysia Airlines is generally regarded to be a very competent, modern airline and it's only experienced two major crashes before this one. This isn't Asiana or one of the Chinese regional airlines, it's a major world carrier and it has a good reputation.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      03-08-2014 09:33 AM #7
      And just to unpack a few things....the 777 is one of the most reliable airliners ever made. Landing and taking off are dangerous. Cruising along two hours into the flight rarely is. The weather was calm. The pilot was very experienced.

Now, consider the stories running in Austrian and Italian media that two of the passports on board belong to people who are currently alive and well in Austria and Italy, respectively, and who both reported having their passports stolen on relatively recent trips to southeast Asia.
      Last edited by Turbio!; 03-08-2014 at 09:36 AM.

The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      03-08-2014 10:00 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Now, consider the stories running in Austrian and Italian media that two of the passports on board belong to people who are currently alive and well in Austria and Italy, respectively, and who both reported having their passports stolen on relatively recent trips to southeast Asia.
      That's fvked up.

9. 03-08-2014 10:00 AM #9
      This makes me real excited for my upcoming trip to Malaysia....

(Haven't booked flights yet, thinking US carrier..)

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      03-08-2014 10:02 AM #10
      And just to unpack a few things....the 777 is one of the most reliable airliners ever made. Landing and taking off are dangerous. Cruising along two hours into the flight rarely is. The weather was calm. The pilot was very experienced.

Here's what I don't understand.

How could the plane suddenly just "disappear". Let's say it was some catastrophic mechanical failure, like both engines blowing up...wouldn't there still be distress signals being sent? It disappeared when it was 35k ft in the air. I'm just finding it hard to piece together how a modern aircraft just suddenly stopped sending ALL signals at once. The only thing I can think of that can make that happen is the plane just completely blowing up out of nowhere.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      03-08-2014 10:06 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain 'Murica! View Post

I've flown MH all the way from NJ to Sydney on a B772. The airline's safety record is (until today) is very good and service is excellent. I wouldn't hesitate flying them again.

Whatever US-based carrier you're going to choose is most likely going to have a far worse safety record, compared to MH anyway.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      03-08-2014 10:07 AM #12
      The only thing I can think of that can make that happen is the plane just completely blowing up out of nowhere.
      This is what most likely has happened.

13. Member Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B.'s Avatar
      Vehicles
      His + Hers = 815hp
      03-08-2014 10:14 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      This is what most likely has happened.
      Thats what I am thinking. Terrorists

Vehicles
      1991 Civic dx 2011 Ingot silver Mustang GT
      03-08-2014 10:21 AM #14
      saw this story this morning as I was getting ready for work so many things ran through my head wondering just how a plane just drops off the radar like that without warning or a distress call you gotta think if it were terrorist they would have both made it known they were jacking the plane and the group responsible would have spoken up by now.......

Vehicles
      2013 Volt
      03-08-2014 10:22 AM #15
      Best consistent stream of information on the situation:
      http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...nes-plane-live

This isn't going to turn out to be an operational problem with Malaysian.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      03-08-2014 10:36 AM #16
      Here's what I don't understand.

How could the plane suddenly just "disappear". Let's say it was some catastrophic mechanical failure, like both engines blowing up...wouldn't there still be distress signals being sent? It disappeared when it was 35k ft in the air. I'm just finding it hard to piece together how a modern aircraft just suddenly stopped sending ALL signals at once. The only thing I can think of that can make that happen is the plane just completely blowing up out of nowhere.
      Yeah, if it were dual simultaneous engine flameout - an unprecedented event with the exception of a 747 that flew through a cloud of volcanic ash over Java - they'd have had the chance to mayday. If it were a hijacking, they'd have been able to send a mayday. If it were terrible weather, we'd know it.

But one of the safest aircraft ever built, leaving Malaysia in good weather, cruising at 35,000 feet with apparently two passports on it whose owners were thousands of miles away, just disappearing without a signal or any good reason?

The simplest explanation is a bomb.
      Last edited by Turbio!; 03-08-2014 at 10:41 AM.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      03-08-2014 10:37 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain 'Murica! View Post

Nah. Malaysian has a better safety record than many US carriers. Don't worry about them at this point.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      03-08-2014 10:48 AM #18
      Meh. Planes go down. Gravity has to win at least some of the time

03-08-2014 10:51 AM #19
      The only thing I can think of that can make that happen is the plane just completely blowing up out of nowhere.
      You may have answered your own questions, unfortunately

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      03-08-2014 10:51 AM #20
      The simplest explanation is a bomb.
      I was really hoping this wouldn't turn out as an Aloo Snackbar. ****.

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      03-08-2014 11:04 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Most likely at this point. Wonder why they would just blow up that plane randomly at that location? You'd think if it was a terrorist group hijacking that large of a plane they'd want to cause more damage. I'm not sure what blowing up 227 people in the middle of the sea would accomplish if it was indeed a terrorist plot.

22. Member Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B.'s Avatar
      Vehicles
      His + Hers = 815hp
      03-08-2014 11:06 AM #22
      Most likely at this point. Wonder why they would just blow up that plane randomly at that location? You'd think if it was a terrorist group hijacking that large of a plane they'd want to cause more damage. I'm not sure what blowing up 227 people in the middle of the sea would accomplish if it was indeed a terrorist plot.
      Unless this is just the start. Random aircraft getting blown up around the globe. I certainly hope not. That would strike a lot of fear in people all over the world travelling

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      03-08-2014 11:07 AM #23
      Are you saying only Muslims are allowed to blow sh!t up ?

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      03-08-2014 11:08 AM #24

Yet, there are plenty of examples...

Vehicles
      03-08-2014 11:10 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B. View Post
      Unless this is just the start. Random aircraft getting blown up around the globe. I certainly hope not. That would strike a lot of fear in people all over the world travelling
      Well Stack, it's been nice knowin' ya.

Not at all, that's just a forum term around here for anything that gets blown up.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      03-08-2014 11:10 AM #26
      Thread doomed.

Vehicles
      2013 Ford F150 FX-4 SCREW 5.0L, 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS 6MT
      03-08-2014 11:12 AM #27
      If this was truly an act of terrorism, then you would think the terrorists would have taken credit for it by now. They usually want the world to fear them and their message, so staying silent would seem completely counter intuitive.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      03-08-2014 11:14 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by RollingInDubs View Post
      If this was truly an act of terrorism, then you would think the terrorists would have taken credit for it by now. They usually want the world to fear them and their message, so staying silent would seem completely counter intuitive.
      Sometimes is takes a while. Terror cells are not always well organized. A member or group of members who carry out a terror act and are successful then have to get back to their leadership, report success, leadership has to draft "press release", etc.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      03-08-2014 11:15 AM #29
      Not at all, that's just a forum term around here for anything that gets blown up.
      Well, that's a retarded term and would upset a certain Irish organisation.

Anyway, it's all speculation at this stage, could be anything from a blown fuel line to sudden depressurisation.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      03-08-2014 11:15 AM #30
      Here's a good writeup on terrorism in SE Asia: http://www.state.gov/j/ct/rls/crt/2012/209980.htm

03-08-2014 11:16 AM #31
      Well Stack, it's been nice knowin' ya.
      Lets not go off the deep end here

Vehicles
      2013 Ford F150 FX-4 SCREW 5.0L, 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS 6MT
      03-08-2014 11:23 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Sometimes is takes a while. Terror cells are not always well organized. A member or group of members who carry out a terror act and are successful then have to get back to their leadership, report success, leadership has to draft "press release", etc.
      I'm guessing the cell would be waiting for a while to hear back from the members that carried out the attack, especially when you consider they were probably on the plane...

Vehicles
      03-08-2014 11:35 AM #33
      Well, that's a retarded term and would upset a certain Irish organisation.
      It shouldn't upset anyone, Turbio and I (among other forum users in OT) have been using that term for well over a year ever since this stupid comic came out. I don't really feel that I need to validate and run "inside jokes" by you or any organisations. It is just a term. Lake "sanduskied" for a boy being touched by a man. It's just a silly term.

Vehicles
      E46 330ci and Bikes.
      03-08-2014 11:37 AM #34
      2 stolen passports on the plane doesn't bode well. Yikes.
      No Signature. Only Krav Khalash.

Vehicles
      2013 WRX 2012 Mazda5
      03-08-2014 12:00 PM #35
      This is a pretty unfair statement. Malaysia Airlines is generally regarded to be a very competent, modern airline and it's only experienced two major crashes before this one. This isn't Asiana or one of the Chinese regional airlines, it's a major world carrier and it has a good reputation.
      Asiana is as major a carrier as Malaysian, not that it means anything really.

Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast