Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your hiking plans for this Summer?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      03-12-2014 12:14 PM #1
      GF and I have decided to climb Mt Katahdin this Summer. We got the hiking bug late last year and did a couple hikes that really pushed us (we are in our 50's). A couple of them were spur-of-the-moment decisions that reinforced that some things should be planned and prepared for, both in equipment and physically. We are looking at mostly day hikes, something that we can start early in the morning and finish either at or before nightfall. As of now, we are in training We did 14 miles in two days in her town, climbing up and down hills, staying on streets and sidewalks. None of the hills were higher than 400' elevation, but do those several times a day over the course of two days and its a nice workout.

I'm in the process of breaking in equipment: boots, clothing, backpack, seeing what I can carry for an extended amount of time and distance without injuring myself. I found some local trails that are a mixture of woods and granite with some boulder scrambles that mimic what we will find on Katahdin. A couple climbs are 3000' hills, but nothing really comparing to the 5200' we'll climb in Katahdin. Maybe next Summer we will tackle the Presidential Range in NH. Now if I can get my kids off the couch.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

Vehicles
      MkIV BMP R32, MkII GLI, '05 R6
      03-12-2014 01:34 PM #2
      It's probably small stuff compared to what you have at Mt. Katahdin, but the girlfriend and I will probably hit Tahoe Rim Trail at South Lake Tahoe over the summer, in addition to our usual backpacking trip to Point Reyes. We'll probably take a trip with my brother's family to Yellowjacket off Ice House Rd in El Dorado County - not a bad spot for base camping. To top it off, if you want to call it a hike, we signed up for Spartan Races this year and will be hitting the Trifecta (12Mi, 8Mi, and 5Mi Obstacle Course Racing). It's going to be a fun summer.
      FS: One 225-40/18 Nexxen N3000 Tire | Netgear Rangemax Dual Band Wireless-N DSL Modem/Router (DGND3300v2) | MkII Jetta 16v OEM Taillights | MkII ABD Racing CIS-E Intake Pipe (Not CAI)

Vehicles
      DD: Mazda3 O: Explorer | Uncertified Preowned: Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      03-12-2014 03:19 PM #3
      Local trails on the weekends when it's nice out. So, July. lol.

Summer vacation at Yosemite, so I'm pretty sure we'll do a couple of hikes there. Going to try and avoid the crowds (yeah, right) and hike outside of the valley, probably.

Depending upon my conditioning, might climb Mt. Adams (12,281') in August. 12 miles RT, with 6700' gain. It's usually done as an overnight trip. Camp at the "Lunch Counter" at about 9,000'.

I'd like to hike Granite Mountain again, 5629' w/ 3800' gain in 3.9 miles. Bring a camera with me this time. It was foggy and damp when I climbed it. First time I did it I practically ran down it. My legs were jelly the next day, and we went to IKEA. That was fun.
      Colonel Leopold Wraithwood //// twitter: mbull //// blog //// "Marcel Bruwn" - Travoltified
      Stop making things idiot-proof. We're just making better idiots. Not the way we need to be going.

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI, 2010 4Runner SR5
      03-14-2014 03:14 AM #4
      Planning on an overnighter and a two night backpacking trip or two here in the Anchorage area this summer. Maybe something more remote later on. Anyone done but trips in Alaska before?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

5. Member
      Vehicles
      01 F-350, 05 Suburban
      03-14-2014 08:53 AM #5
      The wife and I will be hiking around Mt Bachelor quite a bit this summer. Some by ourselves for longer day hikes, and a few short hikes (couple hours) with the kiddos.

Great hikes around there.

Vehicles
      '11 Audi S4
      03-14-2014 04:09 PM #6
      I'm planning a 3-day trip with some guys this spring to kick off the year.

Rock Island, WI - it's uninhabited, used to be a resort 100 years ago, can only get there by ferry and it's foot traffic only. A good 5mi to hike the perimeter of the island. Should be a fun time!

7. 03-15-2014 10:52 AM #7
      Ill be hiking the approach trail to Springer Mountain in Georgia through just past blood mountain on the appalachian trail in a month or so. Should be a 5 day hike (we usually hike shelter to shelter rather than kicking our own asses to cover great distances). It's about 50 miles.

Gotta find a shuttle for a ride back to the trailhead though (leaving car at the end).

packweight (without water and food) is about 18 lbs so I'll hover around 30 totally loaded. Wish it was a few lbs lighter but those last couple pounds are EXPENSIVE.
      Quote Originally Posted by leakypipeDCI View Post
      The regulars here are actually pretty supportive, despite what the idiotic posters think.

Vehicles
      00 Jetta, 91 passat RIP
      03-15-2014 01:03 PM #8
      Few weekend trips in the white mountains. If I land a new job in September I've been thinking about doing the Long Trail in August.

Vehicles
      2011 Nissan Xterra
      03-31-2014 02:25 PM #9
      My wife and I are heading to Shenandoah National Park for a week of hiking and camping this May. On top of that Sky Meadows (VA), Mt. Tammany (NJ) and a few others are on the list for this summer.

Here's a few from Sky Meadows last year.....

Ellas Performance

Vehicles
      '07 3 Hatch, '14 Cherokee Limited, '02 954 Fireblade
      04-01-2014 08:48 AM #10
      Two friends and I are planning a 6 day trip to the Chicago Basin. The plan is to summit Windom, Mt Eolus, and North Eolus. They'll be my first 14ers.

Vehicles
      07 rabbit 09 TIG
      04-02-2014 03:03 PM #11
      I live in PA right next to the northern section of the Appalachian Trail. Last year I started getting more into hiking then I ever was and I’m now hooked.
      I’m planning to finish PA this year with a handful of section and day hikes. Heading south from the RT 309 trail head, I can’t wait!

My wife really isn’t into hiking (yet) and my son is too young to tag along so it’s mostly solo hikes. I really enjoy going on my own and look forward to some solo overnight hikes. This area is littered with through hikers come mid-summer so it’s fun to meet random people on the trail as well.
      HYOH!
      Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      If only there was a place to type in a word and it would scour the near infinite sources of information at its disposal to bring you relevant information pertaining to your quandary.

Vehicles
      B5 Passat
      04-08-2014 05:29 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      GF and I have decided to climb Mt Katahdin this Summer. We got the hiking bug late last year and did a couple hikes that really pushed us (we are in our 50's). A couple of them were spur-of-the-moment decisions that reinforced that some things should be planned and prepared for, both in equipment and physically. We are looking at mostly day hikes, something that we can start early in the morning and finish either at or before nightfall. As of now, we are in training We did 14 miles in two days in her town, climbing up and down hills, staying on streets and sidewalks. None of the hills were higher than 400' elevation, but do those several times a day over the course of two days and its a nice workout.

I'm in the process of breaking in equipment: boots, clothing, backpack, seeing what I can carry for an extended amount of time and distance without injuring myself. I found some local trails that are a mixture of woods and granite with some boulder scrambles that mimic what we will find on Katahdin. A couple climbs are 3000' hills, but nothing really comparing to the 5200' we'll climb in Katahdin. Maybe next Summer we will tackle the Presidential Range in NH. Now if I can get my kids off the couch.
      You will love Kathadin. That was my first "big hike" years ago. I stayed at a campsite right by the trailhead. The place is great, very primitive style camping, pit toilets, lean to's and no running water. There's a creek right by the campsite to jump in and cool off. I overpacked because I hiked solo and wanted to be prepared but you will come across some thru hikers along the way. If you have a nice camera with zoom lens don't forget it, even if it's extra weight it's well worth having. Enjoy your trip and post some pics.

Vehicles
      yellow 20th, 96 harlequin, jsw tdi
      04-08-2014 06:53 PM #13
      nothing too special but would like to go check out algonquin peak in the Adirondacks
      CORNSTATUS | MKIII Magazine | #BurnAllTheMK3s | HARLEQUIN | IG: @eric_englot
      Quote Originally Posted by White Jetta View Post
      You've never taken a satisfying dump until you've squatted down somewhere outside during a full moon night on top of a fresh snowfall, with the cool crisp winter air carressing your balls.
      Best dump I ever had!

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      04-09-2014 08:46 AM #14
      Gonna keep ticking off peaks on the 4000 footers list (White Mountains). Planning to do Katahdin as well (gf grew up there, never hiked it ) Will probably camp at the base because it's a long ride to drive there, hike and drive home. Also hoping to break in the pup on some easier hikes and eventually see if I can't get him to do some of the 4000 footers with me. At 10 months, he's certainly got the energy for it, just unsure if he's got the focus.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

Vehicles
      04-14-2014 03:52 PM #15
      Did Wallace Falls this Saturday. Short little jaunt to enjoy the warm-ish weather. http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail...lid=HGW531-006 or http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/wallace-falls Trails.com says elevation gain is "minimal" and my legs refute that claim with a passion.

Sunday we trekked out to Cherry Creek Falls, 5 mi round trip. It's about 400' elevation gain... and is kinda backwards. The trail has a few short rises going in, but it seems it's mostly uphill coming out. I don't think I'd do this one again. It does have a few run-off creeks that require forging. Found out my waterproof shoes are only waterproof up to the ankle (lol). http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/cherry-creek-falls

The wife thought of an idea to do- a trail/hiking spin-off from the Humans of New York. After what we saw this weekend, I asked her if she means more like "People of Walmart." Someone brought their "off-road" trike stroller up the Wallace Falls hike. That's just remarkable.
      Colonel Leopold Wraithwood //// twitter: mbull //// blog //// "Marcel Bruwn" - Travoltified
      Stop making things idiot-proof. We're just making better idiots. Not the way we need to be going.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      04-15-2014 10:05 AM #16
      Did a 6 mile hike on Saturday and then did 7 miles on Sunday and got a blister on my heel. I really should remember to bring an extra pair of socks. I've been carrying a backpack and I wonder if the added weight has been throwing off my stride a bit. Bradbury Mountain State Park was beautiful on Saturday. The GF and I hiked to the Summit a couple times on the steepest trail we could find (It's only 500 ft or so). The first time I wanted to do it without taking a rest break and got to the top and I was dry heaving. The 2nd trip was a little easier and slower.
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      04-20-2014 12:18 AM #17
      I'm going to mt Rainer in two weeks. Crazy ehh, I'm from mn. We don't have mountains here.
      the car is on an inclined driveway and up on jack stands in the front only
      02 GTI 1.8t:> 42DD 3" turboback, BFI full stg1 mount kit, Evoms CAI, Forge boost hoses, Tacotaco sidemount, Ebay TIP, IE 2.0 coil conversion, IE manual tensioner, 20th front brake conversion, IE emissions delete, 42dd catch can, Koni STR.t & WRD sport springs, Samco Coolant hoses, SMF vr6 clutch kit.

Vehicles
      04-21-2014 10:55 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Slimjimmn View Post
      I'm going to mt Rainer in two weeks. Crazy ehh, I'm from mn. We don't have mountains here.
      Climbing it? Or doing the loop? Or just visiting?

We've been getting late season snow down to elevations of about 2000'. We have unpredictable weather here, so be prepared and be safe.

Mt. Index (5991') yesterday:

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      04-21-2014 02:29 PM #19
      I am looking at like more of under 2k' but I am unsure of trails and elevation. Haven't looked into it enough yet.
      Not going back country or anything. Trying to stay on trail
      02 GTI 1.8t:> 42DD 3" turboback, BFI full stg1 mount kit, Evoms CAI, Forge boost hoses, Tacotaco sidemount, Ebay TIP, IE 2.0 coil conversion, IE manual tensioner, 20th front brake conversion, IE emissions delete, 42dd catch can, Koni STR.t & WRD sport springs, Samco Coolant hoses, SMF vr6 clutch kit.

Vehicles
      04-28-2014 11:57 AM #20
      My working out has improved my conditioning.

Friday night the wife and I walked St. Edwards Park, 3.5 miles. I didn't stop once, which is a huge accomplishment for my fat ass.

Got up early on Saturday for a heapin' of hikin' in crappy weather. Overcast with threat of rain, hiked up to Bridal Veil Falls (http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/bridal-veil-falls). The trail part isn't bad at all. Well travelled, some spots with rough rocks. With the snowmelt and rain, there were more than a handful of water crossings. Some were easily stepped over, some crossed by rocks, and one 3' canyon you had to jump. Waterproof shoes, FTW. There isn't a lot of elevation gain in the first 1.5 miles. The last .5 mile is pretty much straight up. I remember reading it's 500' or 600' in .5 mile. Lots of steps. I was hoping to see a wise old man at the top, but no such luck.

I made this hike without stopping, too. We walked a little further on the main trail to Lake Serene to the bridge that goes over the base of the falls for pics. I might update later with better pics.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      04-28-2014 09:58 PM #21
      Girlfriend and I walked the Eastern Trail in Biddeford to the Scarborough marshes and back Saturday. 12 miles total carrying pack, rain gear, snacks and a couple liters of water each. Its our longest hike of the year and it was relatively flat. I think for the entire hike it was 100' elevation gain in total It was four hours in my new Cabela's hiking boots. No blisters, but my feet were sore. We were so sore that the next day we only walked 3 miles and pretty much just layed around the house, vegging.

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      05-06-2014 02:24 AM #22
      Mt Rainer was a beast today! Most of the trails are closed (sans snow shoeing) above 4000'.
      We made it to 3800' and it started raining good so turned back. We were not prepared for snow anything and we knew about it before and didn't want to get stuck in a snowstorm at 4000+.
      Ended up driving up though to see the falls and a 3/4 the way to paradise (In the jetta rental car lol)

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      05-06-2014 06:15 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Slimjimmn View Post
      We made it to 3800' and it started raining good so turned back.
      So, as compared with the base, would you say that Mt. Rainier was rainy-er?

I'll let myself out.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      05-08-2014 12:39 PM #24
      Yes. It was funny that at the base it was just kind of bla. Then at about 2800' it was foggy/mist then once past that line at I guess 3800 it turned to just rain and heavier the higher we went.

Vehicles
      2009 Volkswagen Rabbit
      05-09-2014 11:09 AM #25
      My wife and I are planning to hike Mount Rogers in far southwest Virginia (5,728 ft) and we're very excited. We'll also re-do McAfee's Knob on the AT this summer I am sure and perhaps a few others. Plenty of things to see hiking wise near Roanoke.

Vehicles
      05-12-2014 11:35 AM #26
      On 5/3, hiked a quick one to Twin Falls up Snoqualmie Pass outside of North Bend. Saw two elk while driving in, that was kinda cool. The trail was "closed" due to a slide just past the lookout. Meh. The falls were cool to see, except the weather was not cooperating. The falls are accessible by two trails; we hiked up the other trail to the trailhead, which was about a mile, nearly all uphill. So with the 1.5mi in plus the additional mile, 5 miles roundtrip wasn't too bad. The wife and I had planned on Kamikaze Falls, but the trailhead lacks adequate parking and was full when we arrived.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      06-07-2014 07:23 PM #27

Speckled Mountain trail in East Sumner, ME. Its part of Little Concord Pond state park. I used to hike this as a kid. 35 years later, it was a lot harder.

A trail I found in my Hometown. It gets rapidly steeper from here and climbs some granite ledges to another trail system. Total length of hiking trails is about 23 miles.
      Last edited by Egilbe; 06-07-2014 at 07:35 PM.

Vehicles
      06-09-2014 12:03 PM #28
      Did 2.5 at St. Edward park in the early morning Saturday. Then went to the racetrack to help a racer get his s**t together. I've always wondered how much I walk during a raceday. Being there with no responsibilities, I walked 3 miles. I ended up with 6.66mi total for the day. 15,000+ steps, and 57 flights of stairs.

Vehicles
      1983 GTI; 1993 Trek
      06-13-2014 04:22 PM #29
      We are planning a road trip from NJ to Gros Morne National Park in Canada. Planning on hiking in the back country for 5 days along the Long Range Traverse.
      //COOLWATERmotorsport
      |F0TZ3 HA5E| - The Project
      VWVolkshaus: Haus des Verrückten

Vehicles
      06-16-2014 10:49 AM #30
      Hiked up Black Butte just outside Sisters, OR. 1600' in 2 miles. Too bad the weather wasn't great on the west side, the mountains weren't quite as majestic as they could be. But once on top of the 6000'+ cone, you could see the town of Sisters, 3 Sisters Mountains, Mt. Washington, Three Finger Jack, and Mt. Jefferson. Way up to the north, just peaking above the clouds was Mt. Hood. It was probably the top 500' of it.

On the drive home we took the mountain pass and saw the big fire Sisters had two years ago. Such a contrast seeing the lush green floor with white and charred trees.

Vehicles
      00 Jetta, 91 passat RIP
      06-17-2014 09:37 PM #31
      Did the pemi loop a couple weeks back. hit 12 4,000 footers over 34 miles.

Just bought a dslr can't wait to get out with it next hike

Vehicles
      06-23-2014 12:50 PM #32
      Saturday sucked.

Went to hike Blanca Lake. Beautiful day. I mean B-E-A-utiful. Took forever to get going. Finally made it to the road that heads up to the trailhead. Well the WTA.org site doesn't say how far. After driving out of cell service, and approaching 9:30am, we turned around. Turns out that from the highway, it's 17+ miles to the trailhead. We had gone 10, half of which was on a "gravel" road. Thanks, WTA

So we decided to hike Lake Serene on a sunny day. Trailhead at that hour was packed. I hate hiking crowded trails. So we went back to a short, steep trail; Haybrook Lookout. 1.3 miles up with roughly 800' elevation gain. Most of that is the first 3/4 mile. Then it's somewhat slight incline until the last 50 yards, then it's steep with big rocky steps. The tower at the top is about 80' up, with very narrow stairs. I had to scrunch up to fit. Good view, but not good visibility.

After taking some pics of the hazy mountains we hustled down. Up and back in about 1:15, so not that shabby. It was about 40-45 minutes up at my fat ass pace.

Vehicles
      07-14-2014 06:38 PM #33
      too hot to do an unfamiliar trail, so we did Lake Serene in the shadow of Mt. Index.

7.2 miles roundtrip; conservatively. Roughly 2000 feet elevation gain. Started at 460' on my watch, ended at 2300' (humidity affects the altimeter). Nice day, only took us 2 hours to get up, which was pretty damn quick for me at least.

I wish there was better trail etiquette. I'm hustling down the trail, on iffy rocks and stairs, when people that were resting decide to go before I pass, and they're walking, throwing on their packs, and swinging around their trekking poles. I mean, seriously?

34. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      07-14-2014 08:29 PM #34
      The Gf and I did a mountain (OK, big hill) that killed me last year. It was much easier, relatively, with 5 months of hiking/climbing under our belts. Last year, was a nice cool fall day, we were wearing jeans, and I was carrying the pack and water. I was done halfway up the hill and she carried the pack the rest of the way up to ski lifts Not quite the top, but still quite a hike. This year, she carried her own pack from the bottom, I carred mine with three liters of water, we were wearing hiking clothes and it was in the high 80's and very muggy. We both drank a liter of water before we finished the first, steepest, mile-long part of the trail. Everyone we saw was coming down the mountain while we were going up. She was dying, I was pushing her to eat and drink on the way up. We got the section we skipped last year, rested a bit and scrambled up the last .4 of a mile without much issue. We did another 5 miles after that, was much cooler at 2000' than at 100'.

Vehicles
      07-15-2014 11:15 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      We did another 5 miles after that, was much cooler at 2000' than at 100'.
      Yup, we had the same issue with heat and elevation. For those that don't know- Between 3-5 degrees of temp drop per 1000' of elevation gain, depending on humidity. 100% humidity is 3 degrees. This past weekend I did some rough calculations at where we'd be temperature wise. I was pretty close. 73 degrees at the top, about 2300'. By the time we got to the trailhead, it was low 80s. My car read 83 in the partial sun at 12:30. Humidity was about 50% in the morning, about 30% midday.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast