Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pano-roof sunshade repair?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 Audi S4 (track); '09 JSW TDI (daily); '12 Tiguan SE (wifey)
      03-17-2014 12:08 PM #1
      Hi all,

I asked this over on TDIClub, but never got an answer... Hopefully someone here knows

Does anyone know if the pano shade can be repaired or is a replacement only item? Mine has come off the [passenger side] track and is hanging along that entire side. The motor still opens and closes perfectly, and the shade itself is in good shape too, so I hate to replace it... Plus I know its quite expensive. Just wondering if anyone has had experience repairing these, if they're even a repairable at all. I'm assuming I'll have to drop the entire headliner which looks like a PITA, so if anyone has another idea I'm all ears

TIA!
      JSW: stock
      Tiguan: stock
      S4: Stage 2++

2. Member
      Vehicles
      03-19-2014 04:53 PM #2
      damn, no one?!?

Vehicles
      2012 4door GTI
      03-19-2014 06:26 PM #3
      looks like you are going to be the guinea pig on this. I would think it would be repairable though. what area do you live? maybe you can get help from some local members

4. 05-02-2014 01:32 AM #4
      Are you me?

Mine did the exact same thing at probably around the exact time you posted this thread (about a month and a half ago or so). Passenger side, but still opened and closed like normal.

Now the part you don't want to hear...

This morning I went to close it while pulling into work, and I heard scratching and clawing and ripping and the metal "pull-bar" was retreating back to the back of the car. I looked and the rolled up fabric had just pooped itself out of the back of the sunroof, still semi-rolled up and attached at the corners. It had ripped itself a bit, but was now at the point of no return. There was no fixing this. I ripped it from the front pull bar and had myself a nice hanging piece of fabric for the remainder of the day.

When I got back to my car after work, I pulled the back even harder and ripped it out until it was hanging on only the metal strands/cord. You can see both that and the strands of fabric hanging from the front pull bar.

I cut it completely off (and pushed the metal cord back into the roof) and cleaned up the strands of fabric and managed to get the pull bar back to the back again. Now it looks like it does at any point with the sunshade open.

I called the dealership and the sunshade is $530... with ~$1000 to install. They have to pull the entire headliner/roof/ceiling off, so it's a pretty big undertaking. Let's be honest, I'm not about to pay $1500+ to fix this. And I'm not about to pull my own roof off because that would require a) learning how and b) putting a lot of effort in to that.

I would much rather find a ghetto shade and go about it that way. My first idea is 1/4" foam board, like they sell at Hobby Lobby or Michael's. Finding a piece that large likely won't happen, but I can find two smaller pieces and fit them together.

Vehicles
      '14 JSW, TDI, 6MT, pan-roof, nav, kessy
      05-02-2014 10:51 AM #5
      Tint the glass???

and DAMN I hope this doesn't happen to me!!
      Names Michael....
      There's just something about a wagen ...used to drive a '73 Type 3, then a Golf Mk2....
      now 2014 JSW TDI 6MT, pan-roof, nav, kessy, air lift autopilot v2 controller, dual 444 compressors, dual 2.5 tanks

Vehicles
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
      05-02-2014 11:40 AM #6
      I can't even look at this thread it frightens me so much.

I feel for you.

Sent using TapaTapaTalkeeTalk
      2013 Black/Black JSW TDI 2.0L DSG w/Pano - | Malone Stage 1.5 & DSG Tune | Eibach Pro Kit Springs | Koni FSD Shocks | 30% Tint Allaround | Black Shadowline Window Trim | Chrome Exhaust Tips | Smoked Side Markers | Smoked LED Third Brake Light | LED City Lights | Red Interior LED Lights| Asymetrical Blue Tinted Side Mirrors | Lowline Golf Black Front Grill | Color Matched Rear Reflectors | OEM Foglights

Vehicles
      a few vw's and toyotas
      05-03-2014 10:19 AM #7
      Ya I'm not looking forward to any of this happening to me

8. 05-03-2014 11:41 AM #8
      @ DWray, I suppose if you didn't want to tear into the headliner and replace the shade, you could fabricate a sunshade fo some sort to at least cut down on the light and UV hitting the interior. These guys and others could probably make a custom one for you that will help keep the interior cool, or you could go the ghetto route and get big patches of cardboard/suitable material and make your own.

Have you determined root cause of why it all went pear-shaped?

Vehicles
      '78 bagged Rabbit, '05 B5.5 TDI wagon, '09 JSW TDI
      05-04-2014 04:38 AM #9
      This thread just took the wind out of my sails. I just bought a JSW from another member and the sunshade had decided to wad up at the rear of the car. P/O included a new sunshade with the sale, but $1000 to have it installed?
      I'm glad I just got UV tinting done on the sunroof.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      05-04-2014 09:34 AM #10
      I bought a heatshield for my JSW's panoramic sunroof because it still got too hot inside even with a tinted roof. The heatshield helps a lot. It looks a little better underneath the sunscreen, but I'd live with a $50 custom heatshield instead of spending 20 times more for the factory screen.

See this thread for discussion:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=318741
      Last edited by Outrider6; 05-04-2014 at 09:36 AM.

11. 06-08-2014 05:49 PM #11
      Sorry for the really long delay in replying.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCO_1806 View Post
      Tint the glass???

and DAMN I hope this doesn't happen to me!!
      Tinting the glass was one of the most obvious solutions, but I didn't want something "permanent." Tinting it would darken it at night, and during the spring when it's beautiful out.

Not to mention, when it's 105 degrees outside, I'd have to tint it at 0%, which leads me to my solution below.

Quote Originally Posted by miguel indurain View Post
      @ DWray, I suppose if you didn't want to tear into the headliner and replace the shade, you could fabricate a sunshade fo some sort to at least cut down on the light and UV hitting the interior. These guys and others could probably make a custom one for you that will help keep the interior cool, or you could go the ghetto route and get big patches of cardboard/suitable material and make your own.

Have you determined root cause of why it all went pear-shaped?
      I haven't determined a root cause at all. It's ripped out and cleaned now and I came up with a solution, although it's been a few weeks in progress.

I went through the ideas of foam board, wood, construction paper... before a conversation with some coworkers led me to corrugated plastic. Like the stuff they make cheap signs out of.

I bought a very large sheet at Home Depot for something like $12.00. Used some scissors to cut out two 25"x29" pieces, then squeezed it into the roof area.

It worked flawlessly for about two weeks, but after that started to sag a bit because there was no support in the center section. That sent me back to the hardware store to look for options. I settled on a 1/8" x 1.5" x 29.5" piece of aluminum. Painted it white, and it's absolutely perfect.

Is it ghetto? Probably. But for ~$20.00, I'm ridiculously satisfied. A lot of people have ridden in my car over the last few weeks and they all complimented how good it looks for a home-made solution.

It keeps the sun out better than the original shade, yet is still relatively kinda sorta translucent. And it's removable, so it'll disappear between October and April every year.

Vehicles
      06-08-2014 07:10 PM #12
      Looks good to me. Two pieces right? So you could remove the front piece, open the roof after dark.
      Names Michael....
      There's just something about a wagen ...used to drive a '73 Type 3, then a Golf Mk2....
      now 2014 JSW TDI 6MT, pan-roof, nav, kessy, air lift autopilot v2 controller, dual 444 compressors, dual 2.5 tanks

13. 06-09-2014 02:10 PM #13
      Looks good to me. Two pieces right? So you could remove the front piece, open the roof after dark.
      Yeah, it's two pieces, so you can definitely just remove one to look out or open it if needed. Not sure how much the wind would affect the back piece if you removed just the front one, so I'd likely remove the whole thing instead of just one side.

Vehicles
      06-09-2014 02:37 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by DWray View Post
      Yeah, it's two pieces, so you can definitely just remove one to look out or open it if needed. Not sure how much the wind would affect the back piece if you removed just the front one, so I'd likely remove the whole thing instead of just one side.

But imagine the hilarity of your backseat passengers getting smacked in the face by that thing when you open the roof

If you've got kids, I'm sure you've considered, at least once, smacking them while you drive. This could be the perfect "accident".
      Names Michael....

Vehicles
      2013 JSW TDI DSG Candy White, 2011 Kia Optima SX (Turbo) / 2011 JSW TDI 97 Jetta GT & 91 Passat wag
      06-09-2014 03:32 PM #15
      Interesting variation of the pano, i would imagine it works well and is not expensive either.
      2013 JSW TDI, Nav, Kessy - White, Pano roof, Canvas Back dog/cargo liner
      13% tint, 30% on Pano, rear spoiler, mud guards.
      Replaced - Trouble free 2011 Sportwagen TDi Salsa Red. Oo>=====v=====<oO/
      2011 Kia Optima SX (Turbo) Corsa Blue - 13% Tint, LED interior lighting, "Big Boy" horn, T badge. BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2

16. 06-09-2014 05:13 PM #16
      If you've got kids, I'm sure you've considered, at least once, smacking them while you drive. This could be the perfect "accident".
      I don't... but I have nephews.

17. 07-29-2014 12:09 AM #17
      Hi all, just happened to mine. . Shade is pulled off and broken at the back. . It just happened, no particular reason, and out of warranty. The plan is to look at lowering the headliner, and attempt a self repair using new parts. ... If anyone has any prior experience doing this, greatly appreciate it. I have found some good guides online for headliner removal but not for plano repair. .. Going in. .

18. 07-29-2014 12:10 AM #18
      Ps.. I liked your alternate solution DWray

Vehicles
      2012 Golf Wagon 2.5, 5 speed
      07-29-2014 01:37 AM #19
      i think i have used my sun shade like 5 times in the last 2 years. i bought the car because of the roof why would i want to cover it up lol

Vehicles
      2011 JSW TDI DSG, 2001 Audi S4 Stg3
      07-29-2014 09:55 AM #20
      Well, for those of us in the South, it gets hotter than the seven gates of hell once in a while and escaping from the sun is necessary. Thus, the sunshade, and a tree to park under, are necessary once in a while during summer. The home fix mentioned above is actually pretty good! I hope mine doesn't shred like BITRBO. Hey BITRBO, fancy to see you here
      2011 JSW TDI, DSG, Black/Titan Black, 18" ASA GT5, Pano roof, 20% tint
      2001 Audi S4 Stage 3, Silver w/Sport Package

21. n00b
      Vehicles
      2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 1999 Porsche 911
      08-02-2014 03:14 PM #21
      My shade just got pulled off the track on the driver's side. If there is no other solutions to fix this ... any advice in pulling the shade out. Anything to be careful of?

Mark

22. 08-02-2014 03:38 PM #22
      I havnt started the project yet bit ill keep you posted when I do in the next few days

23. 08-06-2014 03:45 AM #23
      Pano shade successfully removed, New one ordered for $180, waiting for it to arrive and check before next step

24. 08-08-2014 11:53 AM #24
      My car is at the dealer for this now. Charging me $114 just to tell me that sun shade is broken (duh). Is this even a repairable part? seems like any failure of this part is catastrophic and requires replacement. Is there anything to troubleshoot on these sun shade issues?

Dealer wants ~$2000 to replace it. That isn't happening.

Please keep us updated on your progress. I might go the self-repair route as well. Where did you order your replacement sun shade from?

25. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2014 GLI E30, 2010 2.5 se, 2010 JSWTDI wife
      08-08-2014 01:12 PM #25
      LOL, I just traded in the wife's 2010 JSW TDI for a 2012 JSW 2.5 with the pano........ I was hoping for less maintenance and then I see this thread.....

Vehicles
      2013 JSW TDI DSG Candy White, 2011 Kia Optima SX (Turbo) / 2011 JSW TDI 97 Jetta GT & 91 Passat wag
      08-08-2014 02:20 PM #26
      I personally wouldn't ever operate the vehicle at speed with the glass open and the shade closed. Seems like a poor design waiting for the above situations.
      2013 JSW TDI, Nav, Kessy - White, Pano roof, Canvas Back dog/cargo liner
      13% tint, 30% on Pano, rear spoiler, mud guards.
      Replaced - Trouble free 2011 Sportwagen TDi Salsa Red. Oo>=====v=====<oO/
      2011 Kia Optima SX (Turbo) Corsa Blue - 13% Tint, LED interior lighting, "Big Boy" horn, T badge. BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2

27. Member
      Vehicles
      08-15-2014 06:00 PM #27
      Hi Folks,

Forgot to check back here after my initial post, but I see we're making a bit of progress!! I think we'll eventually find the answer once there are enough of us working at it...

Quote Originally Posted by Outrider6 View Post
      I bought a heatshield for my JSW's panoramic sunroof because it still got too hot inside even with a tinted roof. The heatshield helps a lot. It looks a little better underneath the sunscreen, but I'd live with a $50 custom heatshield instead of spending 20 times more for the factory screen.

See this thread for discussion:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=318741
      ^This is what I finally ended up doing. But I did start out with some of that double-sided aluminum bubble wrap insulation stuff from HomeDepot, and even spray-glued the old sunroof fabric to the bottom side, and it actually looked AMAZING for the first couple days or so... But then the SFL sun took it's toll and it eventually sagged and fell down, due to lack of support.

But the sunshade from HeatShield is a nice product, and has small suction cups all over to keep it up tight against the glass. It doesn't "look" that great, but I don't notice it anymore and it seems to be holding up nicely for the last couple months now. For $40, I think its an excellent solution, that will at least get me through the summer until I can do a proper repair. I'll probably leave it in place afterward too, since the OEM sunshade supposedly covers/hides it nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by DWray View Post
      Sorry for the really long delay in replying....

I went through the ideas of foam board, wood, construction paper... before a conversation with some coworkers led me to corrugated plastic. Like the stuff they make cheap signs out of.

I bought a very large sheet at Home Depot for something like $12.00. Used some scissors to cut out two 25"x29" pieces, then squeezed it into the roof area.

It worked flawlessly for about two weeks, but after that started to sag a bit because there was no support in the center section. That sent me back to the hardware store to look for options. I settled on a 1/8" x 1.5" x 29.5" piece of aluminum. Painted it white, and it's absolutely perfect.

Is it ghetto? Probably. But for ~$20.00, I'm ridiculously satisfied. A lot of people have ridden in my car over the last few weeks and they all complimented how good it looks for a home-made solution.

It keeps the sun out better than the original shade, yet is still relatively kinda sorta translucent. And it's removable, so it'll disappear between October and April every year.

Nice job DWray. I actaully think that "looks" a tad bit better than the sun shade, but I bet it doesn't insulate as well. If you get inspired, it may really help if you glue-lam'd some aluminum foil to the top-side of those panels, to reflect back some of the suns heat/energy. I may actually use a couple of these panels below my sunshade, as I think it looks really clean. May need to rig some additional support though...

Quote Originally Posted by jpurre View Post
      Well, for those of us in the South, it gets hotter than the seven gates of hell once in a while and escaping from the sun is necessary. Thus, the sunshade, and a tree to park under, are necessary once in a while during summer. The home fix mentioned above is actually pretty good! I hope mine doesn't shred like BITRBO. Hey BITRBO, fancy to see you here
      Hey jpurre... Funny how we keep running into the same threads

Quote Originally Posted by losangeleskiwi View Post
      Pano shade successfully removed, New one ordered for $180, waiting for it to arrive and check before next step
      Looks like you're making some progress! And what did you exactly order for the $180? The roll only? That can't be the whole assembly, is it? Did you get it from VW or elsewhere? Share, share, share!!!

Please also keep us all posted on each step, as I'm planning to tackle this project once I've got some of the more pressing issues fixed... The S4 also has a long To-Do list which I'm trying to work on concurrently.
      Last edited by BITRBO; 08-15-2014 at 06:04 PM.

28. n00b
      Vehicles
      2008 VW Tiguan 5N
      08-15-2014 09:36 PM #28
      You may be able to get a second hand Sun blind for this German company. http://www.riedel-autorecycling.de

Try this email address for them, contact@r-a-r.de I gave them my make and model and VIN number and they had the part delivered for only 81 Euro (just over $115 Australian dorllars)

you can email them in English and they were very helpful. The blind I used came from a VW Passat (3C/36) but fitted my 2008 Tigaun 5N.

A link to some photos of my repair, https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...CP37h_Gm06z1Fw

and I have the clip removal tool if anyone want to borrow it.

The VW part Number is 1K9877307A 6Z0, google search, "Rollo Sonnenschutzrollo 1K9877307A 6Z0"

cheers

Richie3971
      Last edited by Richie3971; 08-16-2014 at 07:51 AM.

29. 08-26-2014 08:58 PM #29
      Holy Bloody Hell. This just happened to me today. Ya'll gotta be kidding me on this repair.

Dont suppose there is a DYI video somewhere or perhaps pictures?

Anyone in the Dallas area feel like helping a bruthuh out? Beers on me!!

30. 10-31-2014 12:33 PM #30
      This just happened last week on our 2009 JSW.
      No reason I can see, but while retracting it made a horrible flapping noise and now will not close anymore. Motor seems fine but the sunshade fabric is just bunched up in the back and must be binding on something.

Dealer quoted over $1,200 to fix/replace. They also said it would be a 2 day repair (with a loaner) and they would have to take down quite a bit of the headliner to get to it.

Did losangeleskiwi have any luck putting in the new unit?

miles

31. 10-31-2014 12:36 PM #31
      I got behind on my updates, but I did get it fixed and working as new for $165 being the cost of the curtain replacement . It's a bit tricky but with care and patience is ok

32. 10-31-2014 12:37 PM #32
      It did involve removal of headliner,

33. 11-03-2014 01:02 PM #33
      I bought a "certified used" 2012 JSW with the Pano Roof. The shade on mine stopped working a month or so ago. After seeing the cost of repair here, I'm thankful for the "certified used" warranty. Dealer had to put in a new control unit - covered.

34. n00b
      Vehicles
      Tiguan TSI 2010
      12-06-2014 07:50 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by losangeleskiwi View Post
      It did involve removal of headliner,
      My Tiguan has faced the same problem The metal lining of the shade on the left side has ripped open from the fabric and has bunched up at the rear of the headliner. The shade is stuck in a mid-way position and won't go to either extremity.

Was shocked at the price of repair when I visited VW Service on the weekend! Have decided to undertake the repairs myself. losangeleskiwi, it would be great if you could share some information on how you managed to carry out these repairs yourself. Do you have any manuals, diagrams, photos, tips etc that could help me? Which steps of the job were tricky for you?

Meanwhile until the problem is solved, I'm going to go with DWray's ingenious idea

35. 12-06-2014 08:23 PM #35
      If you are handy with a few tools and patient it was a fairly easy repair that seemed bigger than it was. But you do have to remove the headliner. . But it was a complete fix for under 150

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast