VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Looking for a qualified shop tp thoroughly clean carbon buildup? HELP please!

832 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  SALES@RSW 
#1 ·
Need a shop in tristate area that does a thorough cleanup of carbon buildup in intake manifold. I've scowered some shops in the area and got some prices but just wanted to throw it out there to you all for recommendations/expereinces. Probably replace injectors too, if needed. Here's what I've found so far:

AWE Tuning (PA): they need to diagnose it in order to give me a quote, which is unreasonable because I'm not making a 1 hour drive to find out how much it would cost? I would at least think they could give me a estimate since they work on VW/Audi/ Porsches all the time. It's just cleaning.

Cherry Hill Imports (VW/AUDI/Porsche) (South NJ): $921 including parts (gaskets and such)

AutoSpeed (South NJ): couldn't give me a proper quote. According to the guy, they've never done it before ---- hard to believe.

Redline SpeedWorx (Central NJ): great shop, been there before, new location They're quoting $600

TyrolSport (NY):
$1200 Mike said they walnt blast the valves and it's like new, as opposed to others who just wire brush and use cleaner to get the job done.

Anyways, I'm sure others in the forums have had this done before. It seems like a common prob with direct injected cars. I just want to get educated on pricing and quality of shops before I pay $$$$ to remedy this problem.

Any advice and recommendations is greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
I had it done locally at Linden VW by me for about $500. They had the car for two days and thoroughly scrubbed the thing clean. $600 is not a bad price for it at RSW. My car had a night and day difference of driving after they cleaned the carbon out. MPGs went back up to the factory specs also. I really dont think the $1200 walnut shell blast is worth it, but thats my opinion.

#3 ·
Yeah, I'm leaning towards RSW for the cleaning. $600 seems reasonable and I've had work done by them before. Plus, they're in NJ and they have a new shop I've yet to visit, which mens a nicer waiting area. Tyrolsport is a quality shop too but they're re-quote of $900 is steep, even if their walnut -blasting cleaning is top-notch. I've gone to Tyrolsport (Mike) when they were operating out of his parents house in Queens.

Anyways, still searching for more info. Keep the advice coming.

#7 ·
Subscribed. I'll be having to do this pretty soon as well. At 40k miles right now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.